3.8

3.8

Nice starting machine

from Allison Park, PA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine XL3510:

This sewing machine is great for beginners. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but you can still sew a lot of things with it. It's lightweight and easy to move around, and simple to operate. If you have any experience at all using a sewing machine, you will be able to use this with no problem. The dials and buttons are very intuitively placed.

If you are looking for a sewing machine for learning to sew, this is a very affordable option. If you're looking for a reliable machine to use for all kinds of sewing projects, this machine is great! It has all the necessary basic stitches. I have used it to make curtains, cloth diapers, blankets, pillow cases, clothes and a lot more. I would definitely buy this machine again!

Brother xl-3510 is ok, but not my favorite

from Grass Valley, CA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine XL3510:

I had the opportunity to work on a friends's Brother xl-3510 and was not overly thrilled.   I mean it can sew a straight seam but it doesn't have all the functions that I enjoy at my machine at home.  The speed of the machine is a little slow and the motor has a grinding noise that I found to be quite irritating.  Now that could be unique to this particular sewing machine and it might need adjustment so I can't say that all are that way.  I needed a little instruction on how to rethread the machine, but it wasn't out of line from what I could expect from a machine other than my own.  Each machine seems to thread differently these days.  I did enjoy the weight of the machine - it didn't want to travel across the table with use like some do.  I didn't get a chance to work with heavyweight fabrics, but my friend says that it handles them pretty well.  She also said that it didn't handle extremely lightweight fabrics well but that she might need to change needles for better results.  Overall, if you get a deal on the machine and just do minor mending or clothing construction - or just cotton fabric quilt assembly you probably would be happy with the xl-3510.

Your first sewing machine should be this one.

from College Station, TX

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine XL3510:

When I was growing up my mother had a really old tabletop sewing machine. I was never able to thread the machine right. I always wanted to sew, but I was always afraid of the machine. After the purchase of my Brother sewing machine, I found that the threading of the machine was really, really easy. I have only had one sewing class when I was in seventh grade and I am not an expert. This Brother Machine was so easy to use for my as a pracical beginner. Threading both the top of the machine and bottom bobbin were quick and easy. The machine is also easy to transport. The manual for this machine was very helpful when it came to how many different ways I can use my sewing machine. At first I did have a problem with the thread bunching, however after using the troubleshooting portion of the manual I was able to learn how to correct the different thread tensions when using different materials. So the problem wasn't the machine, just my knoledge of fabrics. I have and will recommend this sewing machine to anyone.

Good for the beginner and hobby sewer

from Bellevue, NE

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine XL3510:

I bought this sewing machine not having sewn since 4-H years and years before.  I planned to use it to make cloth diapers for my daughter, curtains, towels, washcloths, and produce bags for the home.  It did all of it with ease.  It is easy to thread and easy to use.  I spent about an hour setting it up and getting the hang of it, and I was able to jump right into my projects right after that.  The only issue I have ever had with it is that the thread sometimes jams when you near the end of a spindle.  I try to keep  a close eye on how much thread I have left and switch before I near the end.  I then am able to avoid ugly jams (which sometimes were bad enough to tear the fabric) and also my "ends" of thread are great for cross stitching.  I'd buy it again if I were starting over with the same projects.  To cut time, and if I had the money, I would probably pick a serger now.  As my title states.  This machine is easy to use for the beginner and does enough that it works well for the advanced hobbiest too.

OK sewing machine

from Spring, TX

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine XL3510:

This is my first sewing machine.  My husband bought it for me.  I get frustrated with it cause it messes up sometimes.  But, I'm not always sure if its the machines fault or me just nt using it right.

Brother Sewing Machine Keeps me in Stitches

from Marion, NY

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine XL3510:

I'm a really basic sewer.  I like to sew for Barbie, make craft items and I like to sew my own curtains and throw pillows.  I needed to replace my ancient sewing machine but I was not comfortable buying a computerized model, too much money and bad reviews on breakdowns of these machines.  I wanted something that was an upgrade for me, yet was still a mostly basic machine.  After doing online research I picked the Brother sewing machine model XL-3510. I could not be happier with my purchase.  Everything I have done with the machine has been so fast and easy from filling the bobbins, changing stitch functions and it even has a needle threader.  If you are looking for a machine that is a little more than basic and is a easy to operate strudy machine you should really consider this Brother sewing machine.  It can easily handle denim too which some machines have a hard time with.  This is a sewing machine that is great for the basic home sewer.