Other Sewing Machines:

Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

A good machine for beginning sewers - a great bargain

I got this machine for Christmas last year - and believe me when I say I am no seamstress. I wanted an easy machine to learn that could do some basic stitches. This was a great machine to get for me - it came with an instructional cd that I could watch on the computer as I was working on the machine. I was so happy that I could learn the basics quite quickly and start sewing almost right away. I have used the machine several times and I've been very pleased with the quality of the work, the ease of use, and the durability of the machine. I keep mine stored, but it's very simple to pull out, plug in and begin using - it's no more difficult to get out and set up than an ironing board. I think this would be a great practical machine for young or beginning sewers and also for those who sew as a hobby or only on occasion. I like all the different stitches that the machine does automatically, and I also like the button hole maker that it came with, but my favorite feature is the automatic bobbin winder!

"Easy To Use"...Not!

Bought this Sewing Machine last year, and only messed with it twice! Got tired of stitching by hand, so I thought it was time I got a sewing machine. Think I was wrong. I have no clue how to use this thing! I've read the box and the instructions that are included. Neither did me any good. I set the machine up, loaded the thread and the bobbin with no problems. Thought for sure, I was set to go. I was far from set to go anywhere. The thread kept bunching up under the machine and I went thru three needles. Had no clue what I was doing wrong. I packed it up and brought it over to my sis-in-laws house. (She has a machine of her own) She hooked up my machine and adjusted all the buttons. Thinking that was the problem. She practiced on an old piece of material and the same thing happened, the thread was bunching up and she went thru two needles! We gave up after an hour of trying to correct this. Brought the machine home and its been in my closet ever since. Think my next step will be....Finding a real seamstress that can show me the ropes! Until then, I wouldnt recommend this to any friends!

Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I bought the Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125 about two years ago. When I purchased the machine, I looked for a machine that had multiple uses. I love the fact that there are many different stitches to choose from and that I can use one of the stiches to create finishing that resemble a serge stitch. There are fancy zig zag stitches that can be used to create designs on garments, crafts, and accessories. The machine is easy to thread and easy to use. The stitches are neat and I never have problems with the stitches looking messy or the machine not working correctly.

The sewing machine is not too heavy for me to carry if I need to move it from one spot to another. I love the fact that if something goes wrong with my machine that I can call support and they will help me handle any questions or warranty needs that I may have. The machine is not so old that if I have a problem with needing new parts or needles for it that I can not find them. My machine is still sewing the same as it did when I first purchased it. The weight is not too heavy but durable enough to handle small and large projects. It's the sewing machine that can handle all of my sewing needs.

Pretty Good Sewing Machine

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I've had this sewing machine for years now (probably 10 years or more), and it's worked well for the entire time I've had it. It's fairly simple to use, and it does a good job. It's not the most advanced sewing machine in the world, but it is good for any amateur crafter. If you are more interested in quilting or making complex clothing, then this probably isn't the machine for you. If you want to hem some pants and make pillows, then this machine will work great! My one complaint is that it doesn't have a good hem-stitch option to keep fabric from fraying on the edge. But it is what it is. It's an inexpensive sewing machine that will last a long time and do pretty good work. It would be best for a beginner or casual sewer.

Stitch Performance
On clothing, stitching often comes loose after a few washes.

Really easy to thread the machine, thread the bottom, and to sew.

Fabric Handling
No problems.

Versatility
Pretty basic.

No problems

Lasts forever.

• Versatility:

Super easy to use with clean professional results

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

i got this for Christmas about two years ago when I was in a Fashion Design course in highschool and I found this sewing machine infinitely more easy to use than the machines that were provided by the school district. The best thing about the Brother sewing machines in this line is that everything is basically spelt out right in front of you in regard to stitch type and length. All you really need to do at first is play around with the stitch lengths to see how they effect the stich types to really get a feel for the machine. Although the bobbin itself is plastic, i've never had a problem with it breaking or getting lost etc. The instruction manual that comes with the machine is super straight forward and you pick up on how to thread and wind a bobbin really quickly so you're ready to go in no time. I've had a fantastic time making floor pillows for my new apartment with this that look really crisp and professional once the seams were pressed and this is my go to for hemming the odd pant leg, skirt hem or rip or tear in a shirt etc.

Great for Beginners

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I had never used a sewing machine in my life before I tried this one, and I have to be honest, it was really easy to get the hang of. It had convenient margins on the machine so you could easily create an even and straight stitch, and I made an entire outfit with it in just a few days!

Nice Beginner Machine

from New Baltimore, MI

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I bought this as I wanted to sew some projects for gifts. I made some pillows and light blankets with this machine. I also used it to sew on buttons. The machine is very easy to use if you are a beginner. Mine came with an instructional dvd that made learning easier. The sewing machine can do zig-zag stitches, forward and backward, and other different kind of stitches. I enjoy using it and hope to learn how to sew clothes soon.

Brother Basic Sewing Machine

from Cumberland, MD

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I received this Brother sewing machine as a gift after my 30 year old Singer finally died. I was impressed with the number of programmed stitching patterns and the ease of using them. The only tricky thing about using this machine is remembering not to tap the presser foot lever when cutting threads. It has a tendency to drop the foot very easily. Of course, it just as quickly resets so this is never a problem during sewing. I have sewn various fabrics on this machine and find that it handles most of them, even denim, with ease. For a basic machine, this one is economical and works very well.

It gets the job done!

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

This sewing machine definitely gets the job done. I had to use three sewing machines over the summer and this was by far the best one! It even handled being moved around great! Me and a couple other beginner/moderate sewers were able to use this machine pretty easily as well. I would recommend it.

• Versatility:

A good basic machine, but it can be finicky

from Richburg, SC

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I bought this while visiting my grandma. She needed some curtains in an odd size and didn't own a machine. We split the cost of this one and I thought it would be good to have as a spare for quick repairs and things. It is good for that, when it works properly. The first one we bought wouldn't sew without leaving a glob of thread on the underside of the fabric. It may have been used and returned before we bought it. I can't think of any other reason why the bottom tension would have been so off. The second one was better, but still had some issues. We were sewing through medium weight cotton so nothing too major. It dropped several stitches. I changed the thread and it improved, but still missed a few stitches. In the several months that I've had it since then I've used it three of four times and have had no problems with it, but wouldn't recommend it for a beginner because of the initial issues we had. Someone just starting out would have gotten so frustrated and just given up! I've had other Brother sewing machines that I loved, but this is not one of my favorites.

• Versatility:

I really Love using this Brother LX3125 Sewing Machine"

from Harrison, OH

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I have had this great sewing maching for a few years now, and have been completely satisfied with the way it works and everything about it. I have been a sewer for over 50 years, therefore have experienced using several different sewing machines. I actually have two Brother Sewing Machines, and this is my favorite. I have used this machine to make many different things, but mostly, I make quilts. Sadly, I am not a fancy quilter, just traditional, and I also have made a couple dozen flannel rag quilts. Anyone who has ever created one of these great rag quilts know that they can be heavy to maneuver when you are assembling them. That being said, this machine has always done the job of sewing through the three layers of flannel fabric, and then when constructing the quilt, sewing throught the six layers where the blocks overlap. I've had no problems or comlaints about this machine and hope to be using it for many years to come.

Brother Sewing Machine

from Ellington, MO

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine LX3125:

I've had my Brother machine for a while. It works pretty well. I don't do tons of sewing though, however on a few large projects I've had I spent more time figuring out the machine than I did sewing. I think if I spent more time with it I wouldn't want to pitch it out the door and buy a new one. I would have to think that if you were going to do alot of sewing that you would want a better model machine. I use mine for clothes repair and some curtain making. Simple strait lines. The bobbin area is hard to access for me, I really wish it was made out of something besides cheap plastic. However for the price, I guess you get what you pay for, all in all not a bad machine but not a great machine either. I think when I finally have time to learn how to sew quilts I'll upgrade to a better machine.