Other Sewing Machines:

Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Best sewing machine I ever owned

Stitches are even. Easy to use. Light is good to increase visibility of work. Makes button holes with a twist of a knob. I wish there was one additional longer stick for basting. Notions come with the machine. Easy to wind bobbin. I have been able to wind a bobbin and not have to un-thread the machine when I am using it. Covers all basic stitches. Easy to use directions. Great for both a novice and expert seamstress. I have had professional looking results on completed projects.

A great Sewing machine for starters, or light sewers.

I grew up sewing with my grandmother, pillows, doll clothes, and just patching up clothing. As I grew up I stopped sewing for years. After I got married and had kids of my own, I had to take sewing up again to save money and for something to do as a hobby. I bought this sewing machine because I am not a heavy duty sewer, I just use it for pretty much the same reasons as what my grandmother taught me. This machine works well for my uses, and was a good value in price for what I needed it for. So over all I would rate this an average product, not the best machine you can buy but will work for light sewing tasks.

Not Easy For A Beginner

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I wanted to take up a new hobby of sewing. Although I found it very hard to get started with this sewing machine. I went out on a limb and purchased the Brother mechanical sewing machine a few weeks ago. I read the directions and even went online for some tips. Within the past few weeks, I have made a few garments, but I will definitely put in more money for maybe a computerized sewing machine or one more simple altogether. I definitely wouldn't recommend this sewing machine for beginners, as the settings are hard and adjusting the thread is a little difficult

Stitch Performance
The stitching is very fast, professional looking and quality,
once you get the threading right and the settings going.

I had to give the ease of use an overall three rating, as it was not easy for me, as a beginner to work with the garment using this sewing machine.

I really like the design of the Brother mechanical sewing machine, as its what made me purchase it. Simplistic and chic.

Horrible machine!

from Moss Point, MS

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This machine can sew a stitch, but that's stretching its capabilities. Don't even think about anything more complicated than stitching a seam though. I had borrowed my daughter's machine while mine was being repaired.

It was like driving a 1978 Ford Pinto in 2014. It rattled, shook, groaned and grumbled. Sewing a straight seam was difficult from the vibrations alone. I had intended to use it to finish a project, but after a few hours of attempting to sew, I gave it up. It was better to wait until mine was repaired.

My daughter doesn't mind it, but she does nothing more than a bit of craft sewing and mending with it. I would say that it was best suited to such light usage, but for anyone hoping to become more proficient at sewing, they are better off spending a bit more and getting a machine that is not such a misery to use. This machine was enough to put anyone off of sewing for life.

• Versatility:

Beginners beware, can be tricky

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I really wanted a sewing machine. I am really into making crafts and sewing by hand. I bought the Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine. I thought the price was better then others and it would be a great beginners sewing machine to learn how to sew and use. It came with a movie to watch and everything you would need to begin except the thread. I watched the movie and started to set up the machine. I thought everything was going great until i started to sew. The first few stitches went great. Then boom the machine made a funny noise. The machine ate the fabric and the thread. I watched the movie again and tried to pull out the fabric but could not. I finally gave up took the machine back not knowing what had happened. I did get another brand that worked great and is still working. I would recommend looking up review like mine before buying to make sure you know what you are getting before shopping. Other then the machine eating my fabric and great stuck. I liked the look and it was a good size.

Ok product

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I have previously and in the past purchased and used this Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine and found that it was really good for smaller jobs but not durable enough to withstand larger jobs like quilts and things. First of all the best thing about this sewing machine in the price. I found that it was very affordable and it was actually one of the cheapest ones I could find. In my opinion this product is very good at mending items but it has to be things like shirts and I hemmed some pants and I was able to sew small items like dresses for babies and young children. It is basically too small to do large jobs like making adult clothes and quilts and blankets and stuff. I found when I did that it tore up. Brother is a good brand and I really did get some use out of this sewing machine but not enough. I would only recommend this Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine to new learners and maybe younger girls who are just getting started and are not sure if they will like it.

First one I ever owned.

from Rome,GA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This is the first of many sewing machines my wife and I ever bought we both do quite a bit of sewing, of both home crafts and clothing. We had recently taken on the job of making several sets of draperies for a local church and chose this honestly to be a one time use machine that we use at the church and intended to just leave it with them. Once I had spent a week using the little machine I found myself deciding to keep it for myself. The machine is very lightweight and easy to set up and use. I have used a lot of machines and I thin this is probably one of the easiest I have ever threaded. The thread path is simple and straight forward minimizing snags and bad tension settings, and knotting. My only complaint comes from the machines light weight you have to be careful not to push the machine as you use it or you will find yourself chasing it across the table. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone seeking a sewing machine novice or pro can find great use from this machine.

• Versatility:

brother mechanical sewing machine for beginners and experienced!

from NJ

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

The Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine is the perfect start out machine, when your interested in sewing. Unlike most, the Brother's brand is known to be cheaper and still be just as great as some high end machines. I bought my Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine awhile back and never found it to be a problem with any new lessons I learned. The stitches are magnificent, and make for those personal touches you get or have done on those top of the line clothing and other house hold products. However, for me I've been practicing making doll clothes and using my machine to make different small products for Barbie and Ken. I've been trying to start my own business and just having fun using a machine like this one. I use it for a hobby and new job opportunities. Therefore, I figure that if I wanted a great machine to start with a Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine.

It's not complicated and doesn't have so many stitches as the more pricier type, but it does what I need it to do. I love this product and would recommend it to anyone starting out or advance.

Long lasting sewing machine

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This is a great machine for beginning sewers to learn. Pretty self explanatory to use. I have had a few issues with the bobbin bringing thread up to the machine. My machine is going on eight years and I have not had any major issues. My machine has been used for making beginner quilts, as well as, curtains, and simple projects.

Stitch Performance
my bobbin tension got a little off so sometimes the stitch doest loose underneath the machine but easily fixable.

Easy machine for new sewers to pick up. Easy to learn, does great stitching.

Fabric Handling
When sewing quilts fabric can get a bit bulky, but otherwise it handles well.

The only thing negative about this machine is there is no place that cuts the extra thread, you have to make sure you have your scissors handy when quilting. I love the reverse button made bigger and on the front of the machine.

My sewing machine has actively been used for eight years and I haven't had any issues.

• Versatility:

A good sewing machine for in home use.

from West Virginia

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine when I really got into quilting. I use it now for all of my sewing needs. It takes a few tries to learn how to thread it. It has a couple notches, a lever, a little loop, and then you have to get it through the eye which is difficult. It's numbered though so you have a guide to help you thread it. After a few tries of threading, I can now thread it without paying any attention to the numbers.

I wear glass so it's hard for me to see without them on. It takes me a few tries to thread my needle when I don't have my glasses on my face but when I wear them I can usually get it threaded the first try.

The machine is pretty quiet when I run it slow. When I run fast stitches it kind of shakes and gets a little loud but it doesn't bother me too much.

Stitch Performance
I have really good luck with my stitches. I usually do a back stitch when I start and then go forward just to make sure the stitching holds and to reduce the chances that my stitches will become loose later. When I finish a row or a section of what I am stitches, I usually do a back stitch again and then go forward just for added performance. I can say that when I stitch denim, I have to use a bigger needle or my stitches aren't too strong.

This machine is very easy to use but it's probably not the best for beginners. I had a little trouble threading it my first couple tries but after that I had the knack for it. It's simple to use other than that. The foot lets down onto the fabric and it has a peddle to press to run the machine. I would recommend this for a good second sewing machine after one has had a little experience but it is fairly easy to use and can be picked up on quickly if you have someone to show you how to use it.

Fabric Handling
This machine handles fabric well. I have to put bigger needles in for denim but I can usually layer up several layers of quilt and quilt batting with ease in this machine. It can handle double and triple layer denim just fine. I haven't had any issues with it.

Versatility
I can switch between felt, regular fabric, and denim with ease with this. I don't have any issues at all. I can move my fabric around easily.

I love the design of this but I wish it was easier to go at angles and to twist my fabric around. It's designed nicely though. I appreciate the food peddle design. It takes some getting used to with the threading but overall not bad.

I've had this machine for a couple years now and it's held up just fine. I'm careful with it and I can use it on thick quilts and jeans with ease.

• Versatility:

Nice little sewing machine!

from Ottawa Illinois

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I have this machine and I love it! It is versatile and I can do many sewing tasks on it with no problems.

Stitch Performance
Stich performance is good and works well if you go slow and don't use the pedal as a gas pedal! The stitches are well spaced and even, giving a professional look to what ever you are sewing. IF you go too fast with the pedal the stitches can get a bit spaced out. Taking your time gives the best performance.

The machine is pretty straight forward in it's threading instructions and using the bobbins for sewing. Everything for the different stitches and filling the bobbin and fixing the tension is easy to read and follow. The access door for the bobbin is easy to get to and sliding the bobbin housing in and out.

Fabric Handling
It can handle light to medium weight fabrics but heavy fabrics as leather and denim do take some time to sew on.

Versatility
It can go from sewing on lace to flannel and heavy denim in just a few steps and adjustments on the machine.

IT has room for the fabrics to pass under the foot with out bunching and being in the way of the machine.

I have had this machine for 5 years and it's still running strong after making quilts, baby blankets, pet beds and a LOT of heavy costumes on it!

• Versatility:

Basic & functional. Didn't hold up well over time.

from Middleburg, VA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I purchased this sewing machine when my older, sturdier machine broke. I, too, was broke & purchased one of the most inexpensive machines I could find online. This machine originally worked reasonably well, for the price. I have found it to be best for sewing light fabrics, and not for doing fancy stitch work.

I had three main complaints about this machine when it was brand new.
1) It is very light. Maybe I'm just too used to the older machine that I had, which weighed a ton, but this one moves easily and it drives me crazy.
2) Fabric, for some reason, tends to pull very strongly to the right as I'm sewing. I never had this problem before with other machines.
3) The needle threading mechanism is overly complicated, and not threading properly results in a hot mess in the bobbin.

The machine did NOT hold up well over time. After about 6 months of use, the problems listed above were exacerbated. It became unreliable and unpredictable; sometimes it would sew perfectly fine, other times the first stitch would twist the bobbin, make a mess out of my fabric, and refuse to sew a straight line. I've taken to using Stitch Witchery in lieu of sewing whenever possible because the machine just isn't worth the frustration to use.

Ultimately, I would not recommend this product.