Other Sewing Machines:

Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

The Brother XL-2600i sewing machine helps me get the job done!

I received the Brother XL2600i sewing machine as a Christmas gift a few years back and haven't had any problems with using it.  I would like to say that I am creative, always tinkering in some kind of project, and this sewing machine is a blessing.  I have made curtains, quilts, pillows, and have mended clothing with this machine without a hitch.  It is a simple model, nothing fancy or too confusing, but it definitely gets the job done.  It has twenty five stitches to choose from, a one step auto-size buttonholer, easy needle threader, and a drop in bobbin.  It is lightweight and easy to handle.  It also comes with extra accessories like bobbins, presser feet, a screwdriver, and needles, to name a few, with a twenty five year limited parts warranty to boot!  I would definitely recommend this sewing machine to those who are just starting out or who don't have huge projects that require a lot of fancy stitches.

I am sorry that I ever bought this model machine

I bought the Brother XL-2600i and have always had a problem with thread breaking in the bobbin case.  I know how to use it, take it apart but the case is broken so I need to get a new one for it or buy a much better sewing machine.  This is a very cheap machine and not fun to use.  I had a Singer for years that never broke down and made thousands of garments on it.

Good machine

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I'm still learning, but this is a good machine for any person looking to learn how to sew with a machine. I've had some issues with my thread staying correctly, but I think it's based on the kind I'm using. It is easy to figure out and worth the money.

Stitch Performance
So far I can only give a rating for how I've done. The successful stitches I've completed have turned out extremely well.

This is a very easy machine to use, but I have been having threading issues. I do believe it has to do with the type of thread I'm using (elastic). Other than that everything is clear and it's definitely something even a novice can figure out.

Fabric Handling
I have had some issues with my fabric bunching up. I switched to another and it worked fine, so it may have something to do with the thickness. I don't recommend it for thicker materials.

This machine is extremely durable. I can honestly say when attempting to make my very first items with this, it has been put through the ringer. I have yet to make it break, and hopefully it won't for a long time!

Easy to use

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I would recommend the Brother XL 2600i to anyone just starting out. I am a new sewer myself. This is the first sewing machine i have owned and the first time sewing with a machine. I have owned this machine for 6 months and have used it almost every weekend. At first i had trouble treading the machine, figuring out how to tread the bobbin and pick up the thread once the bobbin was installed. I do wish it came with a dvd to watch to help with seeing what to do more in person not on paper. I was able to find a lot of videos online that helped out a lot. Once you start it is hard to stop. I seem to find things and ideas to sew.

Stitch Performance
I have not any trouble with stitch performance. The stitches are clear not bunched.

Easy to use, once i got started and threaded the machine the first time it was easy to do again. Only a few steps to thread.

Fabric Handling
I have had a couple of times when the fabric has bunched because the fabric was very light. but only when starting at the edge of the fabric. I have noticed if i start a half inch in the fabric grabber has a better chance of not catching.

Versatility
Pretty easy to switch stitches. It is just a turn of the knob. I have sewn though light to heavy fabrics.

I like the design everything is in a easy to see spot on the front of the machine. The writing for thread to pick is clear. Like it has a darker color for the backround makes it more clear to read.

So far it a tough cookie. I haven't had any problems with anything breaking. Well except a needle that was east to replace.

Good machine

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine for my daughter who wanted to sew.  The price was right incase she decided never to sew again. This is a lightweight machine. We brought it with her sewing class and carried it up the steps with no problem.  We have no problems with the stitches.  It sews with great ease.  The machine is always up and ready to use several times a week.  We have used it for about three years with never any problems.   I was really surprised by how well it held up. It maybe inexpensive but it will do the job.  It's just a basic sewing machine and it does have a needle threader.  That was a nice surprise.  I was going to purchase an expensive machine with all the bells and whistles but why it's still running. Remember we do no fancy sewing or button holes. I have put in a zipper without any problems. As long as you thread the bobbin correctly then it's smooth sailing. It's mostly made of plastic including the foot.

Lightweight

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine for my girlfriend for her birthday, and I have been lucky enough to be able to use it as well. It is a handy machine to have to hem pants or shirts because it seems the pants I get are often just a bit too long. It is lightweight and easy to move. It is always pretty intuitive to use, once you understand how to thread it.

Stitch Performance
I am by no means a professional sewer, but I have always found the stitches to be great.

It takes a bit to get to know the machine, but once you understand and have it down, it really is not too complicated at all.

Fabric Handling
I have never had any problems with using any of the different types of fabric that I have had.

Versatility
It does everything that I want it to do. I am sure it could do even more if I myself was more knowledgeable.

The people who have seen it have commented on how nice it looks and how light it is. My mother is jealous because her machine weighs a ton compared to mine now.

I am not the biggest of sewers, but so far it has shown to work great and I hope to continue to use it for many years to come.

• Versatility:

Very easy to useBrother-Mechanical-Sewing machine

from hastings, FL

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This Brother sewing machine is by far the easiest machine I have ever used. I am not a seamstress,To be honest my sewing ability is not very good. But this Brother sewing machine is very simple to use and easy to navigate. It comes with a great instruction booklet that really does explain every function and how to use it to you. I love that it glides very easily and has many stitch options you can choose from. I love the double stitch to be honest. It is also light weight to carry with you or move around the house with. My only complaint with the brother sewing machine is it is a pain the thread it. We are using this machine as a beginners machine for my 8 yearold and he has already got the hang of it. It is very easy to make a new bobbin with .For the price I paid for it (86) this has been awesome machine.

Stitch Performance
It has alot of stitch choices.

great Manuel

Fabric Handling
Feeds fabric very easily.

Versatility
Can use any fabric with this machine

• Versatility:

Great machine for beginners.

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This machine is what every beginner needs and more. I've always had sew plushies and pillows in the past and when I decided that I wanted to finally get a sewing machine this just seemed perfect. From reading reviews things appeared pretty good. I ordered this machine online and was super excited to try it out. For a first timer the instructions were pretty overwhelming. The instruction manual that came with the machine wasn't exactly crystal clear, so it is probably best if you have an experienced sewer come help you get started. After the initial getting to know the machine, everything is super easy and super fun! The pushing of the pedal to control the machine kind of feels like driving. The stitches are even and there are many options for different string tension and the like. The machine seems to handle many fabrics even denim very well. The only time I felt like the machine was having a hard time was when I was trying to sew through this very tight fleece that I was no was going to be able to stitch up by hand. This machine is perfect for beginners, so don't hesitate to grab it for yourself!

sewing is a dream

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

This mavhine has worked very well for me and i would buy it again. I am not a very good sewer and i have had to learn alot on my own. This machine has done right by me, I enjoy sewing on it and I do have some problems but alot of them are my own sewing. I would pass this along to anyone who likes to sew There are some things i would like to change but for the money this one will do better than most

very good

i have no problems figureing it out

no snags or hangups

Versatility
Not as good as could be with the heavy stuff

i like it

is holding up well

Great value!

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I bought this sewing machine for a discounted price on amazon, and I've never regretted it! It's very simple to operate, even for a sewing newbie like me. I've been able to make clean, simple stitches to make stuffed animals and simple projects right from the start. And it's a very good value, not nearly as expensive as a lot of the other sewing machines available with similar functions. It's not very heavy and easy to move around, as well as looks pretty stylish and sleek on my desk. One thing, however, is that it sews a little fast for me (perhaps that's because I'm not very experienced at sewing), and there's no way to control it to be slow enough for me. But perhaps as I get more experienced that won't be a problem. As it is now, though, overall I really like this sewing machine and definitely recommend it!

good quality for the cost

from Perkiomenville, PA

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

my mom bought me this sewing machine a couple years ago as a gift when i was wanting to make a few things to spruce up my apartment. i have to say, for the amount of money i know she spent, it's a perfectly well-working little machine! i have no major complaints with it.

it isn't fancy in the least, but it works really well for general projects such as making baby toys, clothes, and curtains! i've given it a real workout lately and it has kept up very well. i've only broken one needle on it and was thankful that a backup needle was included - and it was very simple to install.

the only problem i have (which could probably be easily soved with a look at the manual...where is that, anyway?) is that the knob for the differing stiches and stitch size is a bit confusing.

otherwise, as an intermediate sewer, i'm perfectly content with this machine!

Very good!

from Pleasant Shade, TN

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

We have owned countless of these Brother Xl Sewing machines and for the money they are more than worth it! Very easy to learn on -- our three daughters have all successfully learned on this (with a non-experienced parent helping them ...at that!). Very easy directions for threading and operating. We experienced no accidents! We were even able to do button holes and we are not professional seamstresses by any means. Very economical -- affordable for any one at the beginning stage. Even after progressing, our daughters still chose to replace theirs with another of the same one because of the good value. It does not come with a case -- we just kept the box and put it in when not in use. You have to figure our how to adjust the tension for thick fabrics -- not hard!