Other Sewing Machines:
Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine

Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine

Brother: Great Inexpensive Machine

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I have used my Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine for several years now with great results. This is a pretty inexpensive sewing machine, so if you are new to sewing or just can't spend very much for a machine, it will probably work for your needs just fine.

I have sewn everything from children's dresses, stuffed animals, and even curtains on my Brother machine, and it has handled everything pretty well. Once in a while the string will get stuck and I'll have to undo the knot that quickly ensues. Having grown up using my mother's Singer machine, I can definitely tell a difference in the overall handling between the two. Sewing machines are one of those things where you really do get what you pay for. In my experience, Brother Machines are not quite up to par with Singer Machines, but then again both will get the job done.

The curtains that I have used this for were made of a thin fabric. I haven't tried the Brother on extremely thick fabrics yet, so I'm not sure how well it would handle those. However, for my needs, it has worked quite well.

• Stitch Performance:
  • Fabric Handling:
  • Versatility:

The Brother VX1100 is Great for Beginners.

from Nashua, NH

Comments about Brother Mechanical Sewing Machine:

The Brother VX1100 is a great sewing machine for the intermediate sewer. If the user does not have much previous experience with sewing machines, the knobs and settings can be confusing. It may take a little bit of practice to master the settings. This machine is budget friendly, and if you're not planning on doing major sewing projects or sewing very often this is the machine for you. I use it mostly to sew curtains and hem pants, so I use it infrequently. However, if I were planning on doing more complex projects, I might consider buying a machine with more options. I have on occassion had a few problems, but the owner's manual is written clearly and simply enough that I have been able to resolve the problems on my own. However, should any complex issues arise the machine would have to be taken to a repair shop, as the manual does not address very many issues. The machine is easy to thread, and I have found it to be a good deal for my money.