Other Sewing Machines:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

Nice Little Machine

This is a great little machine! It's very light-weight, if you're looking for portability. It has so many stitch choices, there's sure to be one for whatever you're sewing. It's very easy to use. The needle moves smoothly through the stitches. And, there are a lot of extra feet. The only one not included that I would have liked is a walking foot. But overall, I am very happy with this machine, especially for the price.

Like using a chain saw to slice birthday cake

The **Brother CSM 6000i** is a great basic machine.  It does all the tricks that a beginners machine should do. It is **not** a work horse, the presser feet are difficult to change. And, some special feet require a screw driver and removal of part of the presser bar.  I cannot get the button foot to work without an error message.  Oh, and lest you think I'm a new-bie, I've been sewing costumes, clothing, quilts, wall hangings, table runners and hand bags for the last 30 years.

My 30 year old Bernina finally died and after reading reviews I thought that the** Brother CSM 6000i** would be a great replacement for my bottom of the line very, very basic machine.  But I was wrong.

It did not come with a free motion quilting/mending foot.  After purchasing a Janome foot that fit, and dropped the feed dogs, I was ready to run.  But the free motion stitch is not free, the foot thumps the fabric and even with the feed dogs down there is a jarring jerking pause and tug after each stitch.  I am finding it impossible to do smooth curves.  The quality of my landscape quilting has fallen from expert to sad beginner. I have purchased an embroidery hoop to see if that might help the jerky odd quilting stitch.

If you are a new sewer this machine is a good start, but; If you are an experienced sewer this machine will not make you happy.

Excellent for the eager beginner

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I will start off by saying that I am a beginner, or at least I was when I purchased my Brother CS-6000i. I had always wanted to learn to sew and this model was recommended to me as a good place to start.

Stitch Performance
The stitches are very even and strong and I've really encountered no problems.

Right out of the box this sewing machine was very easy to use. I was able to thread it and use it's basic functions with only minimal help from the instruction manual. It's very well made and quite intuitive to use.

As I grew more comfortable with the machine, and more confident in my abilities, I began to experiment a bit with different settings and the various stitches. This machine is so easy to use!

Fabric Handling
This machine handles most fabrics well, but can obviously not handle heavy duty fabrics or think layers.

I've had my machine for over a year now and I use it quite frequently. I sew projects and mend clothing and I've had no problems with the durability. It's very well made and I believe it will last quite a long time, provided it is well taken care of and properly stored.

Great versatile machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

This was a gift and I absolutely love it. I can do all sorts of things with the decorative stitches. I used it to make almost every single one of my Christmas gifts this year. The free stitch feature isn't as loose as I would like it but I am never unhappy with my results. I do have some problem with tension. Sometimes there is bunching on the underside of my fabric. But I'm also not completely versed in the machine yet so sometimes those kind of problems are just human error. The machine is fairly lightweight and I can lift it from my kitchen table to my floor one-handed. I like all the little assesories that came with it however my cat has already hidden the tiny seam cutter. The Bob is fairly easy to thread. The lightbulb is always bright enough. I can usually sew in a dim room without issue. The paddle is a good sensitivity although the angle is a little steep for me and it does cause my ankle to ache

Brother CS-6000i

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

This sewing machine is extremely easy to use, comes with many accessories, and meets my needs.

Stitch Performance
The stitches are easy to use, are computerized, and come in 59 different stitches. I especially love the ability to change the stitch by the computer built in the sewing machine.

The machine was easy to learn on. It is great for beginners and has done well for me for about two years.

Fabric Handling
The machine is picky when it comes to thread. It does not like cheap threads such as Coats and Clark. It does exceptionally well with Gutermann thread.

Versatility
I am able to do many things on this machine such as hemming pants, sewing projects like purses and skirts. I have sewn on many buttons and have altered some clothing.

The machine comes with different sewing feet like the zipper foot and button foot. I have used these most often. This is a perfect machine and Brother did well!

I have had this machine for about two years and it has not broken down. Nothing seems wrong with it.

Computerized sewing machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

Great machine. Highly recommended. Sews beautifully. Comes with walking foot. Create all your projects with ease using this machine

Stitch Performance
Nice and even stitching. Has enough stitch for crafts and your own home decor. Has a few embroidery stitch. Look really pretty

Sews very well. Brother machines are highly recommended. This is a touch above the basic model. You will be pleasantly surprised

Fabric Handling
Even works great on polar fleece. Design your own home decor. Ease of use for tailoring. Free arm. Also table to go on for bigger projects

Versatility
Has performed every task with ease. From basic quilting to larger quilting, it has been fun creating new things for friends and family

As with all Brother machines, exceptional quality. Design is pleasant and the usage from this machine will far surpass your expectations

No problems with this machine. Made with care and warranty included. I've had this machine nine years. Great investment.

Great Sewing Machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

Great for all project, whether they are big or small.

Stitch Performance
Simply excellent. Superior quality.

At first, I had a tremendously difficult time understanding this machinery, but after several times reading over the instructions it all made perfect sense to me.

Fabric Handling
With constant monitoring, this is not an issue.

Versatility
This machine can do anything from simple hems to complex designs and everything inbetween. It comes with the proper tools for button-holes and all sorts of other accessories, including an extended workplace attachment.

At first I could not figure out how to operate the machine but that was just because I had never operated a sewing machine in my life. The design of this machine is sleek, but slightly complicated to figure out all the functions.

Let me start off by saying that I am not the most graceful person, therefore this machine has taken quite a few tumbles. The hard case really protects the machine from klutzes like myself.

• Versatility:

Great first machine for granddaughter!

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine for my 10-year-old granddaughter for Christmas. She and her 13 year old sister have both been learning to sew on it and they find it very intuitive and easy to learn. The 13-year old looked at the diagram and immediately used the needle threader successfully. The 10-year-old read none of the instructions before she sat down in front of the machine and said, 'Look Grandma, you can change the stitch!"...and immediately changed to a fancy stitch in under 10 seconds!

Stitch Performance
We're still learning to use this machine, but either there are some issues with the bobbin each time we start a new stitch or we have a setting wrong somewhere. We will continue to research this issue, since it is likely user error!

Most of the machines features are very intuitive. We like the way there are diagrams right on the machine that show how to fill a bobbin, thread the needle and use the back-up and turn functions.

Fabric Handling
To use larger pieces of fabric easily, the side board really needs to be added to the machine. Due to limited counter space, we originally tried to use the machine without it, but soon found that we needed it. There could also be a little more space between the needle and the body of the machine (on the right hand side).

Versatility
The machine is very lightweight and easily carried from one location to another. It is also versatile in the way it handles many different types of fabric and offers so many different stitches.

The machine is attractive and easy to handle. I took one of the computers out of my home office and we're using that space that was originally customized for a desktop computer for the sewing machine and supplies and it does not take away from the professional and functional use of the room.

We've had this machine only a few weeks but it seems very durable. I actually knocked it off the counter the first day when I moving cords around, but there was no damage to the machine.

great machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine about 2 months ago and have been using it consistently ever since. This is my first sewing machine and it's been really easy to figure out and jump right into projects. I would say the hardest thing for me was learning about tension. The manual suggested putting it on 4 so once I read that it’s been perfect ever since. I'm a beginner at sewing and have already made pillows, rice bags, curtains and our Christmas stockings! I'm very happy I got a computerized machine. It's so easy to switch to different stitches. If you want to get a sewing machine just do it. This one seems to be a very popular choice and has a lot of great reviews. I think it’s a great value for the price. This machine comes with all the extras that you would want as a beginner. But be aware that the hard cover is just a top cover. It does not have a bottom that locks up (which is just what I assumed I was getting). So I wouldn’t really consider this as great of an extra bonus as I first though. I just wish they had more color options 

• Versatility:

Best machine I have ever owned!

from Racine, WI

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I purchased this Brother sewing machine about 1 year ago. I have had a few machines, from a New Home to a Necchi and the Brother is an all around good machine. I have never had a problem with any of the functions except maybe the fabric feed. It could be a little tighter in my opinion. The 60+ stitches are super easy to use and make items look professional. All of the things I hated doing before (buttonholes, buttons, zippers, repairs) are a breeze with this machine. It beats out my daughters Janome by a mile. In fact, she sold her machine and is purchasing this one! The auto-thread function is wonderful. The manual is pretty easy to understand. I would say the only drawback that I have found is that it has problems with really thick materials. I haven't tried it on denim yet but it handled 6 layers of fleece pretty well if you go slow. I wouldn't recommend it for alot of heavy duty sewing like that though. I have made halloween costumes using stretch fabric, rag quilts with flannel, fleece scarves, etc and it has performed admirably on all of those items.

Fabric Handling
Needs a tighter fabric feed.

• Versatility:

This sewing machine is made for the ordinary sewer.

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I had a nother brother sewing machine. I wasnt happy with it. So I hesitated to buy another. Much to my delight the sewing machine was easy to set up and simple to use. I got it for my daughter who was getting into making doll clothes. It never jammed , which was a problem with a previous brother machine.

Stitch Performance
Te stitches were even and neat looking.No bunching and the thread feeds nicely.

This machine is so easy to use my 13 year old daughter can use it. It is easy to set up and a dream to opporate. I use it for sewing clothes , and crafts.

Fabric Handling
I have never had it bunch , I mostely use average fabrics. I didnt try real heavy fabrics.

Versatility
It is goood for mending or any sewing project.

I was happy. It was easy to get set up and start sewing right off the bat.I would have liked to see a heavier foot pedal and cord, but all in all , I think its a good design.

I take care of it and dont abuse it and its lasting a year so far for me.

Super Amazing Sewing Machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

This sewing machine is truly fabulous. It has a lot of different stitch patterns, one looks just like a leaf. It looks soo cool. The buttons are easy to push and the stitch is very easy to change. The fabric pulls through very easily. Sometimes the thread gets caught up underneath and makes a big mess but that is very rare. It is very easy to fix and it tends to happen if you let to much of the thread out before you start sewing. But overall I would recommend this sewing machine. It was a Christmas present and I love it and my mom loves it just as much as me. All of the foot pedals are easy to detach and then reattach. The needles are also easy to replace and it is very easy to thread the machine, the bobbin can be threaded two different ways. One way is where you do it manually and the other is where the machine pulls it through for you and you just have to pull the string out through the top. This is the best sewing machine I have ever gotten and I highly recommend it.