Other Sewing Machines:
Brother
SE270D
Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine

Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine

A great sewing/embroidery machine for the budget challenged

*B**ottom-Line***: All in all, the **Brother SE-270D** is a great starting point for anyone wanting the ability to embroider without committing to a high-end machine.Read complete review

I'm not married to Martha Stewart, but I could very well be.  My wife is a domestic diva in her own right-a self-taught quilter who also sews home decor items that are constantly admired when guests visit our home.  She has been valiantly sewing her creations on a low-budget, but dependable *Janome* sewing machine.  For her autumn birthday, I surprised her with the **Brother SE-270D** that I ordered online at *Amazon.com*.  I thought that the embroidery features would give her even more creative opportunities to broaden her skills.  The following review is based on her direct experiences with the **Brother SE-270D**.

**First Impressions**

**Author's Note**: *this portion of the review was written by my wife, who use this machine on a regular basis*:

I was in love with the machine before I even opened it.  The carton featured an image of this Combination Sewing/Embroidery machine and a list of computerized features:

- 97 built in embroidery designs featuring Mickey Mouse & Friends
- 5 Built in embroidery Monogram Fonts in 3 sizes
- LCD touch screen for stitch selection
- 98 built in Stitch Functions, 10 styles of one-step auto-size buttonholes, built-in stretch stitches, garment construction stitches, decorative stitches, heirloom and quilting stitches.
- Memory card slot for additional designs

Inside the box, I found the sturdy 23-lb. machine, one instructional CD, two separate operation manuals (one in English and the other in Spanish), a 4X4 embroidery hoop and guide sheet, white bobbin thread, foot pedal, vinyl sewing machine cover, and a softcover bag of accessories (presser feet, bobbins, spool pins, scissors, etc.)

Although the product comes with a quantity of extras, there are definitely some additional items you will need to purchase in order to take full advantage of the embroidery functions.   You will definitely need fabric stabilizer material to ensure that your embroidery stitches are consistent and to prevent your fabric from bunching up.  (Brother recommends water-soluble on thin or high-nap fabrics.  I use a medium weight iron-on tear-away for my cotton fabrics).

**My Viewpoint **

Once I had thoroughly read the manual from cover to cover, I purchased some embroidery thread and pre-cut stabilizer (*ThreadArt.com*).  Armed with my supplies, I cut a large square of fabric, ironed on the stabilizer and began to test a simple design.

The process for threading the bobbin was straightforward and self explanatory.  I had no problems with the bobbin at all.  My first problem was threading the machine itself.  The **Brother SE-270D** has a thread "cassette" cartridge which I had never encountered before.  The instructional CD shows you how to thread the cartridge; however I soon discovered that my newly purchased embroidery thread was **too large** to fit in the cartridge.  Brother's solution is to use the extra spool pin (included) on ***top*** of the ***empty*** cartridge and then continue threading the cassette.  I found this to be a tricky and unnecessarily cumbersome way to thread a sewing machine.  (*Not to mention, it looks completely ridiculous-like using duct tape and a screwdriver to replace a door handle*).

The big problem with this threading "system" is that you have to insert the cassette with just the right amount of force, at just the right speed and angle, and hold it in just the right place so that you don't damage the unit.  Oh, and you can only insert the cartridge when the green light is on.  If you do it correctly, it will self thread your needle and all will be right with the world.  If you don't, nothing happens and you have to keep trying till you get it right.  It generally takes me 3 tries to get the cartridge in and the needle threaded.  Seriously! This is not a feature that I enjoy.

Following the directions, I set up the machine for the embroidery function (changing the presser foot, checking the needle and bobbin thread, attaching the embroidery unit (*a little tricky getting the hoop under the needle*), selecting the pattern, and checking the layout).  My pattern was a cute little frog that only required three color changes, so I thought that would be an easy way to try out the machine.  I hit the start button (no foot pedal required!) and the machine began to move.  Everything was fine for about 15 seconds, and suddenly the machine began to make a clunking sound.

My husband helpfully suggested that before I hurl the machine out of the window, I go online and see if I could find an embroidery forum.  Perhaps someone else had the same embroidery machine and had posted a solution to my problems.  Sure enough, I came across SewForum.com which had an embroidery section: *"Poor stitch quality, not sure which stabilizer to use, what about metallic threads? Ask or answer embroidery questions here...*"  I spent an entire evening reading the question and answers relative to my specific machine.  I came away from the website with a whole new attitude and plan of attack: 1. Buy new embroidery-specific needles; 2. Adjust the upper tension on the machine, and; 3.Purchase an inexpensive cone holder to help the larger spool of thread feed correctly through the cartridge.

Happily, my new approach worked wonders.  What I discovered from reading the forums are the little nuances that are never mentioned in instruction manuals.  My frog design embroidered beautifully, and I had no more threading problems, needle breaks, or interrupted stitches.  I was able to pause for threading changes, and the **Brother SE-270D** started right back where it had left off, all without missing a stitch.

**Concluding Viewpoint**

All in all, the **Brother SE-270D** is a great starting point for anyone wanting the ability to embroider without committing to a high-end machine.  Because it is a combination sewing/embroidery machine with many built in functions and designs, you really don't need separate machines to create a wide variety of projects.   You can sew apparel, quilting, and home décor projects, and add embellishments and embroidery as final touches.

Brother Sewing machine - cheaply made

I have gone through 2 of these machines, the first one lasted about 6 months, I was quite pleased with it - user friendly machine, nice stitches and the embroidery feature was easy to operate.  After using it for about 6 months  I got an error message to loser the pressure foot, it was lowered, tried turning it off and back on to clr, called the company I purchased it from and they told me could not be fixed, computer glitch and they sent me a replacement as they had offered a one year warranty.  The second machine has been a nightmare, will not stitch consistantly, skips stitches, especailly any stitch pattern that has to make a stitch to the left, it often skips that part of the stitch.  Also has severe problem with the bobbin thread making a tangled mess, makes it virtually impossible to do embroidery, seems to be a real lemon, not worth fixing and warranty has expired

Brother SE-270D

from Smithfield, Maine zip 04978

Pros

• Convenient

Cons

• Feed Dogs Not Working

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

Attempted to use machine on a material that apparently was too thick and I believe feed dogs were affected. I have not been able to get it to work since and there is no indication on the LCD display as to the problem, nor can I find where in my area there is an authorized service center.
    I am not pleased with the technical support because I have found it extremely difficult to even find any. Purchased at Wal-Mart in Waterville, Maine

Love the sewing machine, have difficulty with embroidery

from Bakersfield, Ca

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I really like this sewing machine. It is simple to get using right out of the box (even without following the directions, like I do all the time). I was sewing in no time. I did, however, run into troubles trying to figure out the embroidery aspect of the machine. I have read and reread the instructions and still can not seem to make it work. The machine is supposedly preloaded with all kinds of Disney characters and fonts, which attracted me to it originally, however, seems to be useless at this point. I have never had a problem with the sewing machine aspect of the machine. Works great. Has a great motor. I have had it for numerous years now and have done a wide range of projects. It can handle delicate fabrics and thick material as well.

It's a 10 for ease of use in plain sewing, I scored a points lower due to the embroidery problems.

Versatility
    Does all that a home sewer would need, including embroidery, if you can figure that part out.

Simple, smooth and clean lines. Slim and easy to store away.

Hate to say it, but I have dropped it twice and it still works like a champ!

• Stitch Performance:
    • Fabric Handling:
    • Versatility:

Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine SE270D

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

Overall it is a good machine that does multiple jobs. I believe it would be better as two separate machines. I found the embroidery part of the machine to do very well. The sewing machine part could be improved for ease of use and understanding. It does have multiple stiches and functions which are nice. It is very affordable for the average person

Stitch Performance
    This is very very good. The stitches are very controlled and even. I very much enjoyed the embroidery part. The embroidery part does skip stitches and you have to go back and have it restitch those skipped spots.

The embroidery part was very easy to use except having to redo all the time for the dropped stitches. The sewing machine I didn't feel was very easy to use. I am an reasonably experienced sewer and I did find it a bit complicated and not very user friendly.

Fabric Handling
    It fed the material well for the most part. I did find that when embroidery you have to double up on the stabilizer or it puckers. I also found on the sewing that it was tight in some spots and even when adjusted it was either too tight or too loose.

Versatility
    I found this to be the middle I didn't like having two machines in one. It would be good for someone who doesn't do a lot of sewing or embroidery. It seemed to me that putting them together for a more experienced person causes problems.

The design was overall above average. its size works well in a small area or if you need to take it down and put it back up. It is very simple and really quiet nice. The buttons work with a fair amount of ease and the hoops for embroidery are designed well enough. I just wasn't sold on it for what I use my machines for.

I felt this was good. It is very durable. And does last a long time. My only personal concern is not being able to oil it and check that part of the machine out on my own.

• Stitch Performance:
    • Fabric Handling:
    • Versatility:

great

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

This is a great product. I love all the different optional accesories, that it is light and easy to transport. It's a beautiful color. I also love that it is versatile enough to do comforters, and the slightest of material. I can make any creations that I can imagine. The fact that it is self threading is also a great advantage.

It's easy to attach buttons, and do a variety of sewing with this machine and I use it quite often to make a variety of products.

The price was very accessible and the interface is very easy to get used to.

I haven't had any problems as others seem to of having a bobbin casing break on me, and I also haven't had any difficulties in keeping the accessories together.

I highly recommend this machine.

Brother SE is great machine for the cost

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

This maching was my first venture into the monogramming and applique world. Overall, I have been very pleased with it. Definitely sews beautifully--things like the self-threading feature really add up to a pleasent sewing experience. The monogramming is about what you would expect for the price--effective, but nothing fancy (one color at a time, small maximum size etc). It does have mishaps here and there--eating the thread, skipping stiches etc, but I have been told that more expensive machines have similar problems. Once you get used to switching the features out that's not hard and doesn't take too long, although I do try to do like-tasks (sewing vs. appliques) at the same time to save the time of making switches. Great entry level machine--I expect this machine to last for years to come. **note that you will have to buy a card/card reader and software to move beyond the basic features.

Love the Brother SE-270D

from Caneyville, KY

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I knew absolutely nothing about machine embroidery when I got this machine a few years ago. The 270D is super easy to learn with clear menus and easy to follow instructions. While I wouldn't recommend this set up for someone wanting to do embroidery as a home business, it is wonderful for making gifts and decorating your own home. I have loaned it out a couple times to friends and my daughter's Girl Scout troop and no one has had any trouble learning to use it, so far.

It is awesome with PED Design and a couple extra memory cards -and you can find tons of free embroidery patterns online when you have found yourself with a dozen items featuring every single pattern that is included. This machine makes embroidery simple and addictive; from gifts to bedding to your kids' clothing, you will love what you can do with the Brother SE-270D.

Love this machine!!!

from Claremore, OK

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I've owned this machine for probably 5+ years and still love it. I use this as my main machine for sewing as well as embroidery. It's very easy to do embroidery on...Before I got this as a gift, I had never done any embroidery at all and I taught myself on this machine. Of course I still have lots of stuff I could learn about stabilizers etc but you definitely don't have to be an expect to embroider on this machine. I love how the thread loads on the machine too, whether sewing or embroidering. It is a very user-friendly machine. The only thing is, I wish the machine had a wider range to embroider on rather than the 4x4 area.

Finally, I Fed Up with it Never buy computerized Sewing Machine

from Oakland Gardens, NY

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I bought Brother SE-270D, thinking I can embroider all the cute Disney figures  and be able to sew some basic jobs as well as some advanced jobs at ease.  After all, it claims automatic needle threader and pretty decent presentation of  embroidery.  Surprisingly to the contrary, I spent  so much time to fix the so called automatic needle threader.  The system only works one out of 10 trials.  Make the matter worse, the bobbin (at the bottom of the feeder dog) got stuck with excessive threads too often.

After 3 months of use, I found out there are some design drawbacks for this Brother SE-270D -

(1) The bobbin design is too tight to the system, any tiny hair or even dust from heavy cotton cloth would drastically affect the running of the sewing operation.

(2) If I run a high speed sewing mode, the bobbin is very easy to get tangled underneath.  If you don't pay attention to your needle, it might even twist the needle and break it.

(3) Embroidery is not as easy as it seems.  You need a lot of preparation and patience.  You will need some extra time to run some tests before you can get it right and perfect.

Every time I change the upper thread, I have to spent so much time to load the cassette over and over again trying to get the auto threader to work.  Most of time, I have to thread the needle manually.  What a pity for such a expensive machine !

Finally I bought another cheap and basic sewing machine "Janome" brand and works just fine for my basic sewing repairs.  No more headache, it is mechanical and everything has to do it manually but works fine with me so far.

I am very very regret to have bought this Brother SE-270D, I will never buy again any computerized sewing machine again. Mechanical models are just fine with me.

Brother Disney SE-2700 Sewing Machine is great for all levels!

from Mahomet, IL

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I was brand new at sewing when I purchased this sewing machine.  I actually went into a specialty sewing shop to look at my options and decided that within my budget this was definitely the sewing machine for me.  I liked that there was embroidery options as well as the regular sewing options.  Other things I like about this machine include: automatic threading of the needle when the thread casing is pushed in, scissors  button that cuts the thread for me when I've finished sewing (which saves thread and time), the option for either foot pedal or push-button starting.  I love the push-button because I can more accurately set the speed I want to go.  I haven't even pulled out the foot pedal!  The embroidery option works great and I've done towels for gifts, which have turned out great and very well received.  I would definitely recommend this machine for any range of sewing skill.  I would probably like to upgrade soon, but not because there is anything wrong with this machine.

Buyer beware. THIS IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!

from Northwest Arkansas, AR

Comments about Brother Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I absolutely LOVE this machine.  I have used it hundreds of times to embroider birthday gifts, baby shower gifts, Christmas gifts, and even make tees for special days at school.

The machine embroidery is simple.  You can easily embroider the built-in designs, or with a card reader/card you can purchase designs and transfer them to your embroidery machine.  There are countless designs on the internet and the Brother machine embroiders all of them with ease.  The only downside is that the largest the area is for the embroidery is 4x4, but for the price of the machine, it's a good starter machine.

When you are doing embroidering and need to sew something, you just pop off the embroidery arm and you can switch out the feet and sew with the same machine.  The sewing machine feature also works great.  It's very easy to swap between the two machines - embroider something, then pop off the embroidery arm and then start sewing.  Very easy.

I've had my machine over 3 years and it works GREAT!