3.1

3.1

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

You're a guest, not a passenger

**Ready for great service in the skies?** British Airways delivers. This is a top-notch airline with a different attitude than most of the others. Their present ad campaign sums it up nicely: you are a guest, not a passenger. **Connections in London are Preferable**As a frequent traveler to Europe, I strongly advise making connections in the States and flying direct to your European destination from Miami, Atlanta, Newark or another east coast airport. Switching planes in a European country can be trying at best, and a nightmare in the worse case scenario - Iberia passengers attempting to navigate a connection in Madrid can easily miss a flight due to security hassles, arrogant security police, and crazy long lines. British Airways is the exception. Entering Europe via London, where systems are rational, and the language is the same, is a far more pleasant experience, and is the best alternative to flying direct to your final destination from the states. British Airways flight attendants are gracious, friendly and extremely professional. First class is a delight for those lucky enough to afford it, but coach is very good; you'll get the same great service no matter what your budget allows.

The Bottom Line: ***Libby Loves It!***

Europe's leading airline?!!

I was looking forward to my flight on British Airways as I had never flown on them before, and had heard wonderful things about them from my friends traveling to Europe.  In February 2008 we flew out of Vancouver, British Columbia to Zurich, Switzerland to visit some friends, with a plane change at Heathrow in London.  It was a tight connection and we had to take the bus to change terminals, but we figured if we hustled, we'd make it.  How could we imagine that after running our rear ends off to get from terminal one to terminal four as fast as possible that we'd run into a little problem.  They didn't have a flight crew for the flight.  I don't mean short of flight attendants, they were shy of pilots.  Both of them.  It was a bit more serious than running shy of peanuts for the flight.  At this point I figured that yet our second flight on British would be a wee bit late to Zurich.  Three hours later, the crew showed.  This wouldn't have been that big of a deal should we not had friends waiting at the Zurich Airport to pick us up.

The flight from Canada to London left almost a half an hour late, (no big deal), then we were crammed into maybe the narrowest seats I have ever sat in for a ten hour airplane flight.  Ten hours siting in a really really narrow tight seat in a completely packed airplane with no place to go and a large overly lubricated gentleman sitting on the aisle to my right isn't my idea of a great trip.  Not British Airways fault that large people fly and get crammed into seats half their width, but feeding him booze for about 4 hours when he already smelled like a Johnny Walker distillery, did get a bit under my skin, and made my barely able to deal with the width problem even more of an open wound.

The return trip from Italy was no different.  Late, and late again.  They did have flight crews for all the return flights, so things were showing signs of improving.  On the return connection through Heathrow, (on a full to capacity 747), we were delayed about an hour because, according to the flight crew, "the passengers on board had brought too much luggage, and it had to be redistributed".  Weren't they the ones who packed it in the first place?  Now it's our fault?  In four decades of air travel, I had never heard that one before.  Bravo for originality.

To their credit, the food was good on board, the seat back entertainment system worked well with tons of choices available, had excellent sound quality, and liquor was complementary during the international flights.  They also gave all passengers packets with socks for wearing on the flights, a toothbrush, ear plugs, and headphones for the entertainment system.  The in flight cabin personnel really were quite pleasant, and British pretty much always is competitive in price when flying in that general direction.

In short, British was just too fraught with problems regarding finding the right gates because no one seemed to know, late flights, cramming people into the minimum amount of space when they fly, and personnel who just didn't seem to have their jobs as a priority in their lives during working hours.  I fly a lot for business and pleasure and am used to the problems associated with travel, and the sometime unavoidable mishaps that come your way on some journeys..... but this outfit......Holy cow!   I would again fly them if I had to, but it sure wouldn't be my first choice.  Nor my second.  Maybe it was just a bad trip, but I wouldn't look forward to taking the chance to check for improvements.

**UPDATE APRIL 2009:**  As the British Airways saga continues, I flew out of Heathrow to Istanbul round trip during April of 2009.  Nothing much seems to have changed, but perhaps they're beginning to grow on me.  Don't get me wrong, they're still as disorganized as all get out, but the people on the flight crew were still quite pleasant, it was a nice flight both ways, and so what if the entertainment system was down.  It is British Airways after all.  The aforementioned being stated, I have softened my tone of their criticisms, and given them three stars, up from two.  British with all their faults, is still one of the most prominent connections for getting yourself around Europe, Asia Minor, or Africa from the good ol' USA.  Just don't be surprised if you end up hanging around in an airport for 8 or 9 hours because of some circumstance beyond their control.  It is British after all.

One of my go-to airlines for Transatlantic flights

Comments about British Airways:

The Bottom Line: British Airways is a fantastic airline for Transatlantic flights, but so-so for flights within Europe. If you can book a flight on one of their Airbus A380, then go for it, you won't regret.

British Airways's greatest asset is the Airbus A380, which is a fantastic airplane and very comfortable even in coach class. I especially recommend BA for flights over to London. Prices remain competitive and still cheaper than Air France, and the service and customer service is quite good.

Service
I have usually had pretty good luck with service but this will greatly vary based on the crew, but from my experience, you will get high quality service on transatlantic flights, more so than on flights within Europe. I have yet to be impressed on flights within Europe, but flights are usually so short that I almost don't even care and just want to get to my destination.

In-Flight Accommodations
I have flown with British Airways many times in my life, and it remains one of my favorite airlines when flying over to London, or back from London. The Airbus A380 is one of the nicest airplanes I have ever been in, with wider seats, even in coach class, the aisles are also a bit wider, and the entertainment and amenities are the best. Everything is basically larger with more leg and overhead room.

Average Airlines

from NA

Comments about British Airways:

This year, in the month of February, I traveled via British Airways for a leisure trip with my family members. I booked the Economy class tickets online and the tickets had the correct details as I had provided while booking. I was greeted well by the staff members of the airlines and they guided me through all the security stages and took good care of my baggage. On boarding the flight, I was not happy to see the entrance and the interior of the flight as it was quite small and did not look well maintained. The seats were looking too old and were not comfortable at all. The food they served during my journey was just average for me but my family members said that it was tasteless.

Since my travel time was more, it was making me a bit uncomfortable and restless to sit on the seats and the entertainment provided within the flight was not good with the screen being very small. The price of the tickets were high but the service offered was of a poor quality. The only positive aspect of my travel with British Airways is the attitude of the staff members. They were ready to help throughout my journey and were very polite while interacting with me.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Not a bad airline but even better if you have status

Comments about British Airways:

My kids and I flew with them from Copenhagen to London Heathrow and back last October and I picked them due to my One World Sapphire status. The status gave pre seating at booking which is great if you want to make sure that you and your kids can be seated together.

The short flight was nice, it was full both ways. The crew was nice, service minded. During the 2 hours flight I got some very tasty sandwich rolls which was great, I also got drinks too (I think you can get alcoholic drinks for free but since I only drank juice and tea so I can't really confirm that).

The inflight duty free is great - I got some perfume (cheaper than in the duty free shop at London Heathrow Airport) - there is no gift wrap service on board so if you want it wrapped then the best is to buy it in the shop at Heathrow Airport. I don't mind it anyway since I'm buying for my own use.

The kids got a very nice gym bag with an activity book and a pen - which is a great plus compared to a lot of airlines in the US. They are still using their bag for their PE lessons. Good for British Airways since the bag has a huge logo of the company.

In-Flight Accommodations
older aircrafts, not so comfy seats

• In-Flight Accommodations:

British Airways - Good on so many levels!

Comments about British Airways:

British Airways is my favorite airline. I feel they are predictable in their offerings and never fail to prove reliability and consistency. Whenever I have booked flights on line, the details of my bookings have always filtered through to the correct departments for instance, special children's meals, specific seating requirements etc and on the odd occasion I have had a query during flights, they have done their best to rectify the situation as soon as is practically possible. We have never had lost baggage with them and baggage fees are free (1 suitcase per passenger) on international flights.

Their Air Hostesses are well mannered and pleasant - they make a point of asking if there's anything else that you need. As a customer you really do feel as though you are in a priveledged position flying with them.

If I had to be critical, some of their aircrafts are looking a little tired inside however all things considered, I'd rather fly British Airways than anyone else.

Exceeded My Expectations

Comments about British Airways:

British Airways provided an exceptionally pleasant flying experience on my recent trip to Africa. I hadn't flown in quite some time and had only flown on US flights. My February trip was my first international flight. I was a bit nervous about the flight due to the length of time since I had last flown and also because the flight was to be considerably longer (and more arduous, I thought) than any of my previous flights. I also had never flown with British Air previously.

I was in for quite a surprise! From my very first experience with British Airways when I checked in at the originating airport through to my departure on the last leg of the last flight when I arrived back home I was greeted with kindness, courtesy, and excellent service. British Airways staff were cheerful, helpful, knowledgeable, and ever so friendly! Most of the staff that I encountered genuinely seemed to enjoy their jobs and it showed in the ways that they interacted with their passengers.

I would certainly choose to fly British Air again.

not coach!

from united states

Comments about British Airways:

While not everyone has the luxury of flying business or first class, when flying a long international flight on British Airways, please splurge. Yes, British AIrways may be a little more expensive than some of the other airlines flying internationally today, they are my preferred airline when flying into London Heathrow.

Service
There is a reason that British Airways has been around for so long. They offer flights from London Heathrow Airport to anywhere one would need to fly today. I really only using British Airways when flying to London, however they do have a number of partner airlines.

In-Flight Accommodations
The business class and first class in-flight accommodations offered on British Airways makes that 8-12 hour flight pass in style and comfort. In addition, flat beds are now available on a number of planes used for their long haul flights making the dreaded red-eye just a little better.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Cozy air travel at its best!

from Bloomsburg, PA

Comments about British Airways:

I've flown British Airways a handful of times, and it's one of my favorite airlines - their staff is friendly, their food is better and more plentiful than on other airlines, and their seats are comfy! I loved being able to stretch out my legs and actually relax on a flight instead of getting my knees crunched by the seat in front of me being laid all the way back.

Service
British Airways just offers wonderful customer service from start to finish. When I bought my tickets the reps were friendly and helpful. When I was on the flight the entire staff was friendly and beyond helpful. On one of my flights with British Airways I was extremely sick due to food poisoning on a 13 hour flight, and their flight attendants continually stopped to check on me and see if there was anything they could do to help - best flight attendants ever!

In-Flight Accommodations
Besides the super cozy seats, the food was good and plentiful, there were tons of drink options, and the options for entertainment were all top quality.

My top choice for travel between New York and London

Comments about British Airways:

I've flown many of the major airlines between New York and London (or other United Kingdom locations), and have decided British Airways is one of my favorites. Not necessarily the cheapest available, but when you are on a long distance flight I am willing to spend a little bit more to ensure comfort and make the most of my travel experience. Very comfortable standard class seating, and I am vey happy about the individual video/television screens that allow you to choose what and when you want to watch (as opposed to be restricted to watching what everyone else is watching).

Service
I think the customer service is pretty good with British Airways. Perhaps not over-the-top friendly, but they employees always act professionally and courteous. I've not experienced any lost luggage with them (thank goodness), but when I had trouble due to weather delays the desk agent was very helpful and did not make me feel like I was being a pain (as I've experienced with other airline employees who seem to not want to "deal" with problems).

In-Flight Accommodations
Very comfortable seating with decent leg room (and this is in standard class). Movies and entertainment selections and customization ability is great, and the free snacks and drinks can't be beat.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Not the best, not the worst

from Chicago, IL

Comments about British Airways:

For an European airline, British Airways is by far not one of the best. However, I do like their prices and frequent flier program.
When traveling to Europe from the US I usually try to avoid London Heathrow, because it is so crowded. But when I have to fly to the UK, I usually chose British Airways They fly rather frequently from both New York and Chicago rather frequently to Great Britain, so its pretty convenient. I also like their prices, they are pretty competitive. I do warn people sometimes to check both economy and economy premium prices, because sometimes premium economy is cheaper.
Their frequent flier program also allows for pretty good upgrades when flying throughout Europe. Flying only about 60,000 miles a year with one world, I rarely ever get upgrades from the US to the UK.
What I don't really like is their seating. It's pretty tight in economy, but business is a lot better. Their food also isn't the greatest.
Overall, the airline could be better, but it gets you from one place to another with relative ease even if it's not too comfortable.

Service
The people working for the airline are pretty nice, but sometimes seem to be overworked.

In-Flight Accommodations
The food isn't too good, but watching 3 movies and reading the paper gets time to pass quickly.

One of my Favorite Airlines

Comments about British Airways:

My first experience with British Airways was a flight from Washington, DC to France. From the moment I walked onto the plane to the moment I left the airport after landing I was immensely impressed with the service. The staff was friendly and constantly checking on what else they could provide. The long flight went by so fast because I was comfortable. The seats were great and there was enough room between each arm's rest. I loved the selection of entertainment on the personal TV's. I was able to catch up on a lot of newly released movies. Perfect! The long flight also included dinner and breakfast which was delicious. I also appreciated the toothbrush and toothpaste they provided. The flight attendants were so kind. It is also nice to have great people looking after you on a long flight. At the end of the day, I have to salute the pilot who flew the airplane with such ease. The take-off and landing were seamless and despite the rain the flight was smooth.

Thank you British Airways for always making my flights amazing.

Service
The service is exceptional. From the moment I started walking down the terminal I was greeted and offered one of the numerous newspapers that were available. It was so nice. The warm welcome from the flight attendants was great and their kind service continued throughout the entire flight.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in-flight accommodations were great! They included good food (meals and snacks), a wonderful selection of movies to watch, and nice additions such as blankets and pillows, toothbrush and toothpaste, and newspapers to read.