4.8

4.8

Pros

Cons

• Support and Safety:

The Cadillac of carseats and well worth the cost.

I bought this seat 3.5 years ago when my son finally outgrew his infant seat.  I was looking for safety and value.  In comparing the Marathon to others in it's price range, Britax was the only seat made to hold a child larger than 40 pounds.  At that point, a booster seat purchase would have to be made.  I felt the Britax was made with superior materials and for the price, was a bargain.

My son's been in his seat for 3.5 years and only now am I considering replacing his seat cover.  It's elastic around the edges is only now just beginning to loose it's elasticity and slide down.  I just wish I could buy a new cover in a store.

When Britax had a recall of the adjuster strap, I was notified that a strap would arrive at my house by a particular date.  It arrived earlier than stated.  The replacement instructions were easy to read and understand.

I believe Britax is the best made carseat on the market and would recommend it to anyone with a child under 65 pounds.  I love that I will be able to keep him in the 5 point harness for so long.  When my son reaches that weight, I may have had to replace it due to expiring already but I will have kept him safe for as long as possible.

Baby's head not supported when sleeping, falls forward.

I bought the Britax marathon because of it's good reviews and higher weight limit, but had to return it. When my baby slept (rear facing installation), her head would bob forward and there was no way to keep it back against the seat. We tried increasing the recline using towel rolls as the instructions state, but that just made the seat loose and unsafe. The improper fit may be due to our car, which is a 09 Camry, but it was definitely not comfortable for the baby. Otherwise, the installation was not difficult and it was easy to strap the baby in the seat.

Perfect seat for toddlers

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

This is the perfect car seat for toddlers, especially if you are in the car for extended periods of time. It is very roomy and comfortable for extended rear facing installation based on the newest recommendations. Rear facing in my 1999 Dodge SUV this car seat worked best in the middle with my other car seat on one side. It did not work out being behind the driver's seat at all. It was okay behind the passenger's seat as long as no one else wanted to sit in that seat. The worst part about this car seat is that my children inevitably fall asleep in it and then don't want to get out of the car once I have reached my destination. I have purchased three of this particular model over the years between my two kids and two cars, one of the seats was expired so my younger son could not use it although I would say that the seat was still safer than the car seats I have seen other parents use for their children.

• Support and Safety:

Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat is comfortable.

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

The Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat is a comfortable car seat. My child enjoys sitting in her car seat. It's comfortable enough for her to fall into deep sleep. Part of the comfort is due to the slight recline in position. When she falls asleep, her head stays up, even when driving. It seems durable, but my husband was able to crack the styrofoam padding on the side by putting his elbow weight on it. We still use it since the crack is small and the padding is still in one piece, but it was a little disconcerting since Britax has such a good reputation. One would think it would withstand a lot more force. On the other hand, installation is very simple with the instructions on the car seat itself. The anchors are strong and easy to install as well, with the click of a button. The only downside is that the car seat is on the heavy side, especially for a petite person. It seems to be versatile, since you can use it rear or forward facing. The straps are easy to put on and take off. Overall a decent car seat.

Ease of Installation
easy to install, heavy to move.

Child's Comfort
child is comfortable enough to sleep.

easy to install.

Cracked when husband leaned with elbow.

Worth the Price

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

Although it is a bit pricey this carseat is definitly worth the cost!

Ease of Installation
I find this carseat easier to instal using it's latch feature rather than the seabelt option. However both are available and rather simple to figure out.

Child's Comfort
I've had my child rearfacing in this seat up to age 2 and she is still happy as a clam.

We rarely switch the seat between cars so it works fine. Having to switch back and forth on a regular basis would be a bit of a pain.

Our seat is on it's second child. The cover is easy to wash and straps are easy to clean. All pieces have held up well to daily wear and tear.

• Support and Safety:

Safest and prolly best car seat in the market you can find

from Canton, MI

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

I love Britax car seats! Even though they're quite pricey, but they're well worth the money! In the end, it's our kids' safety we're paying for!

It's a bit bulky and high for younger kids, but it doesn't affect the performance of the car seat itself.

• Support and Safety:

Great for Rear-Facing, But So BIG...

from Biloxi, MS

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

We bought a Britax Marathon for our daughter - just like everyone else, we were sold by the great safety reviews from customers and Consumer Reports alike.

Although it was big and bulky, it worked like a charm while she was rear-facing.  The only issue we had from time to time was the "handy" velcro bits (to hold the straps in place while you get in/out) scratching her, or catching on clothing.

As soon as we turned it around, though, we all began to enjoy it less.

It was still big and bulky, which now made it hard for her to learn to get in and out of alone.  It also is stubbornly reclining.  She wants to sit up, look out, and see the world "like a big girl," and spent a lot of time straining against the belts.

When we added another little one to the family, we heaved a sigh of relief.  We gave him the Britx (back in the starring rear-facing role), and purchased a Radian 65 for her - hands-down a better seat for front-facing children (see my review on that seat, also).

The size and price trade-off was worth it for a great rear-facing seat, but I don't find it workable for older, front-facing children.

Comfortable, safe feeling Britax Marathon Convertible Car Seat

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

I bought this car seat from a random website and it was a discontinued print, so I was able to purchase it for much less than the full price.  It is a very expensive brand and seat.  It is a convertible, so it can be used for babies up.  I did not use it as a baby seat, so I cannot review that use of it.  I bought it when my daughter outgrew the infant car seat.  We really like this car seat in our Saturn Vue.  It is a SUV and she is the only child.  She sits in the middle seat and there is plenty of room.  This is, however, a very large seat.  When we have needed to put it into our other car, a midsized sedan, it is very cramped.  The front seat directly in front of the car seat has to be placed very far forward.  I have only used this rear facing so far, so that is also how I am reviewing it.  It is recommended to be rear facing until the child reaches 35 lbs, which is more than some convertible car seats.  This was another selling point for me as I have read that rear facing is safest for as long as possible.  The straps are pretty easy to use, but do get twisted a little often.  It has velcro on the sides to hold the straps in place, which is helpful.  I'm not crazy about the pattern or the light color, it gets dirty easily and is a pretty big job to take off the cover and wash it.  The cover does wash in the washer.  Overall, I am extrememly satisfied with it, but would consider a different seat if we needed to use it in the car more often and not an SUV.

• Support and Safety:

Britax has the best carseats

from Huntersville, NC

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

We bought this carseat over a year ago and my daughter who is now 2 years old still sits in it just fine.  Its very easy to install and i have moved it from car to car and can install it very quickly and efficently and always know that my daughter is safe in her seat too.  I love all the different fabics that britax offers too.  I love this one that we have now and i know that when i have another child we will purchase another britax carseat.  I have also had to take apart this carseat more then once do to diaper accidents and wash it, its easy to dissassemble and then reassemble.  The carseat cover washes amazingly like its still brand new.  We used this seat rear facing first and I kept her rear facing til she was 16 months old and she liked rear facing just as much as she likes forward facing too.  It was a very easy transition to change the seat from rear facing to forward facing.  I hope my daughter stays in this seat for as long as possible because i know its a realiable seat.

Ease of Installation
The latch system makes it very easy to install and take out to clean when needed.

Child's Comfort
My child is now 3 years old and still sits in this seat and loves it.

Support and Safety
I love that my daughter who is 3 can't get out of it. She can't buckle or unbuckle herself at all!

• Support and Safety:

Great car seat, taking them from infancy to booster seat.

from West Palm Beach, FL

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

I really like this car seat. It has a wide range for weight so that it works for a newborn all the way up to 65 pounds!  The material is nice and soft and a good neutral color.  It has a five-point harness and is easy to fasten.  It works well for both rear and front facing positions and can be installed using the latch system or a seat belt.  It fit nicely into the seats of both my SUVs.  The cover is removable for washing (although it is NOT easy to remove and can be time-consuming to do).  I do wish they made the cover lined with a water-proof type backing (I don't know if anyone who makes car seats does this).  But trust me, you would want that too after a diaper leak or a vomiting episode.  It is great that you can remove the seat cover, but underneath it is the foam which is an important shock absorbing safety feature.  The foam is NOT washable except for surface wiping.  That is fine when you are only washing the cover due to food/formula/milk spots, but not for the other things I mentioned.  Overall, I am so happy with the car seat that I bought the exact same one for my second child.

• Support and Safety:

Buying the Britax Marathon has been totally worth it to have a s

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

When my son grew out of his infant carrier, I did a lot of research on car seats and eventually decided to go with a Britax Marathon based on its reviews for safety and performance. Now I'm so glad I went that direction! My son is now 3, and the seat has been a great purchase. This seat can fit a child from infancy until 60 pounds, so we've had no other need for a different car seat. It's durable and easy to clean no matter what gets spilled on it. It's easy to install and to switch off between vehicles. But probably the best feature is how comfortable it's been for my son. It has extra padding for when your child is smaller and needs more cushion around the head area. Plus, there's a fabric swatch around the area where the belt clips in to protect their little legs from getting pinched. This seat did cost more than others I looked at, but the extra expense has been totally worth it to have a safe and comfortable seat for my son that will last until he's ready for a booster, at which time my daughter will move into the seat, and I'm confident it will last the whole time for her as well. The only thing I'd change about the seat is to add a cup holder.

Keeps daughter SAFE and comfortable

from Saint Joseph, MI

Comments about Britax Marathon Classic Convertible Car Seat:

We wanted to keep our daughter rear-facing in the car for as long as possible.  This meant that at 10 months, when she had grown too big for her infant carseat, we had to purchase a new seat that could continue to be rear-facing for a long time.  After researching many different brands and styles, the Britax Marathon Convertible Car Seat fit everything we were looking for.  It allows for children to be rear facing from 5-35 pounds, and forward facing from 20-65 pounds - both with a 5-point harness.  The fabric cover is very comfortable and has decent padding so the child doesn't feel like they're just sitting on a hard, plastic seat.  Installation was a breeze in our Chevy Trailblazer which has the LATCH system.  However, it is also easy to install in my mother's early 90's convertible which has no LATCH at all.

I'm glad that this carseat will be able to take my daughter through her toddler years right up until the time she needs a booster seat.  She gets in it with no fuss and never complains about being uncomfortable.  In fact, it's a good place for a nap according to her!