3.6

Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount

3.6

Mm clear, fresh water

Who doesn't love the taste of fresh water? I know I do.

When I moves to a new city the water was absolutely disgusting, enough that there was even visible floating things in the water that would leave a white ring around the glass. I bought this because I was sick of filling the fridge one too many times in a day, especially because I now felt the need to use the filter for anything that needed water not just for drinking.

I will admit that I have actually since purchased three of them,one for each of the faucets plus the first one is crewed on a little too tight and broke the threading so it would pop off. Whoops. So be careful of that.

On another note this really is a great product, it took away almost of all of the gross taste as well as all of the floaty bits. The only thing I do not like is that as soon as it gets about half way through it's life (3 weeks for my watertype) there is an increase in the floaties that get through the filter.

Sweet water delivered by a flawed device.

Ah, the sweet taste of filtered water.  I've got to hand it to Brita, their faucet mounted filter is one of the best on the market.  It delivers the sweetest water of any water filter that I have ever tried.  However, there is a design flaw in the switch valve of their filtration system (Model#  35214) that I didn't catch initially, which became evident over the course of time.  I bought my water filter a year ago, in February 2009, and for about 10 months I happily enjoyed the cleaner water that this device delivers.  Yet, little by little I began to notice that the switch valve was becoming harder and harder to turn back and forth to change between regular tapped and filtered water.  I checked to make sure that the device was properly tightened securly to my kitchen's water faucet, and though it could not be secured any tighter, I noticed, with high pressure water use, that sometimes water would seep out of the tight areas attached to the threaded end of my faucet's water spout, regardless to if I was using filtered or regular water.  If you live in a hardwater area (like Southern California) the lime salts can quickly build up lime and calcium deposits, which, sadly, will soon make the switch valve almost impossible to turn, eventually rendering the water filtration device useless.I have lived in other states and have used many different water filter devices and noticed that hardwater salt deposits will build up in these type of faucet attatchments.  However, to the credit of the other filtration systems that I have used, the switch valve levers were designed to compensate for such occurances by fitting their water filters with a push in/pull out or a longer/larger switch valve handle that allows for greater finger and hand grip and a less strenuous switching action than Brita's faucet mount system (Model#  35214) , which requires that you use only the tips of your thumb and index fingers.  This begs the question, do the people at Brita actually use this product?  Because, I cannot accept that they have not encountered this problem in their own test or received customer feedback in the form of complaints over the many years this product has been on the market.  To be fair, Brita does make several other faucet mount systems, but since I have not tried them I will not comment any further, accept to say, that if I do chose to stay with the Brita brand, I will be looking for a free after rebate offer on that next purchase.Brita's filter deserves 5 stars, it is long lasting and will only need changing twice a year, but the delivery mechanism of Model#  35214 only deserves two stars, therefore I am giving this product a rating of three stars.  If you are a senior citizen or suffer from hand ailments, such as arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrom, do not buy this device.  However, if you are blessed with great strength of hand then you will have no difficulty with this device's design shortcomings.Further, because I am stuck with it, until I can find both a better faucet mounted filtration system with as good a filter as Brita's, I have been compensating by using a makeshift plastic wrench, which is the plastic adjusting device cut from the straps of a piece of old luggage.  It has a wide enough opening between its' adjuster parts to fit snugly around the valve's switch lever without stripping it and giving me the extra length I need to turn the handle using the full length of my fingers, as opposed to just using the tips of my fingers.  If you are considering purchasing, a Brita faucet mount filtration system, please consider not purchasing Model#  35214, it is not worth the money.

Temperamental but functional

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

This filter helps my peace of mind as I drink water daily, but it falls off of the faucet frequently, and if warm water is accidentally run through it, the light stops working, leading me to believe that the filter is no longer functioning.
The water seems to taste better regardless, and there is no visible sediment, which is great. The price isn't bad, as it can be found at better prices than competitors, and it is quick and easy to install and change the filters. I installed this myself in a matter of minutes, and I am not at all good at this stuff. I was also able to change the filters quickly as well.
This filter can be a bit temperamental, but overall is a worthwhile investment and one that I feel good about making. Filtered water is much better for your health and safety. Just note that the toggle to turn the filter on and off can be a little hard to turn, and be sure that you do turn it off prior to running warm water.

Doesn't last long enough

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

Works good when it works but after a month or two the main part of the filter (which is attached to the faucet) stops lighting up. We have returned two of them and I feel like changing companies. Not happy when we had to wait several weeks to mail the faucet mount system and have it returned. So in the meantime you either do not have your water filtered or you must buy another. Disappointed.

Brita water filter mounted on the faucet works OK at first.

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

It seemed to work ok at first but when I changed the filter I couldn't get the light to change from red back to green. I followed the intructions several times but still couldn't get it to work. Replacement cartridges for the faucet mounted unit are too expensive.

Great if you have the right faucet.

from Hyattsville, MD

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

I about this product and when I went home i found out it didn't fit on my kitchen faucet. What a buzzkill. Before buying this product be conscious if the unit fits on your faucet because it is not universal (of course). Apart from that, I trust the Brita brand very much. I still have this faucet unit laying around hoping it would fit on any other faucet in my house. But i did buy the brita pitcher filter so that really makes up for it. I'm sure this faucet unit is no different from the pitcher. The filter should eliminate the chlorine taste from your tap water, and eliminate the hassel of refilling the water pitcher every hour or so. (I am an avid water drinker). The whole point of a Brita water filter is to give the customer great tasting water without having to produce waste. Other than the filter itself that needs to be changed every month or so, also warned by the light in the front, there is virtually no waste at all. Product is a maybe if you have the right faucet.

Clean water

from Portland, ME

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

In my family's home, there is a brita walter filter base faucet mount. I like a few things about it - it delivers clean water.

I do not drink water from the tap, so my alternatives are drinking water from plastic bottles - bottle collection and recycling, is cumbersome; getting a brita filter which is a good option but I don't know how much that cleans the tap water; or getting poland spring water delivered weekly, which is good, but a lot to lift and properly place on the stand. Also the open cap sometimes means water can spill everywhere.

The brita water filter base faucet mount in comparison is the best option. It is a tiny device that hooks onto the tap. It does come off with excessive water pressure. But works if you know how to handle it. Delivers very clean and good tasting drinking water.

Easy to use w/ great options, but faucet mount falls off easily

from Boston, MA

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

We used to use Brita pitchers but filling it and waiting for it to filter through was getting tiresome in a household of thirsty camels who drink water all.the.time. Plus the water from the faucet has this odd smell and metallic taste and so it bothered me that we were using that to wash fruits, vegetables etc. Then I discovered the faucet filter mount and it made life significantly easier! the mount has 3 settings: a filtered water setting, an unfiltered water stream setting, and an unfiltered water spray setting. So we just turn the selector to filtered when getting drinking water or washing fruits or veggies or rice etc. when washing dishes we used the unfiltered stream, and if you need to wash something like a mesh colander the spray setting is very handy. however, because the filter is mounted on one side, there is a lot of lopsided pressure on the faucet mount threads. so if you turn the faucet on full pressure, you're likely to knock the mount off: has happened several times, sending water spraying everywhere, and the mount falling with a big clang on your delicate dishes! for the same reason, you have to be careful when changing on the selector, that you support the mount with your palm, or else, off it comes! the mount has a filter change indicator, but our faucet mount has fallen off so many times the filter change indicator no longer works. annoying. other than that it is very useful.

Brita is a great water filter

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

We are really enjoying our Brita faucet mounted water filter.  It is very easy to use and the water tastes great.  Plus, I have peace of mind knowing that the water is cleaner for our family.  My son says it tastes so much better.  It's a keeper!

Brita Base Faucet Mount Offers Value

from Mckinney, TX

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

First let me start by saying I live in a location with pretty good quality municipal water service. Even without a filter the flavor of the water is acceptable for drinking. Having said that like the majority of people I find great comfort and solace in having a filter even if it is a basic one. I selected the Brita mainly for two reasons. My first reason was cost. My second reason was knowing that I could find the replacement cartridges in most supermarkets and/or hardwares. A huge minus with this filter and a comment that may hold true for most filters this size is how slow the water processes on the filter it can take me up to 3 minutes to fill the tea kettle. Another concern is the fact that the shell is not easy to clean and quite honestly looks disgusting most of the time. On the plus areas the water tastes nice and I feel like the brand is reliable and well known. So far I have had no problem buying replacement filters.

It's an easy to use brita water filter

from Carrboro, NC

Comments about Brita 35214 Water Filter Base Faucet Mount:

I have tried many brita water systems before.  This one is directly installed on your base faucet, which adds it's accessibility and convenience of course.  The water tastes are simply different after you apply a filter to it.  However, in the first a few days, you can see very tiny pieces of debries, so watch out not to swallow those althought I don't think they are that toxic.... At the same time I feel the filter wouldn't last for a very long time, if you use this for everyday cooking , the fresh water tastes seem to wear off pretty quickly.  I don't know if it's just me or someone else also ahres the same feelings.  So if you decide to use this system as your primary water system in house, you have to change the filters quite often, which adds to your living cost.  I don't know if there is some alternative to this product.  It's effective, just too expensive to use regularly.  It's your call.

Mm clear, fresh water