Other Auto Parts:
Wheels & Tires, Tires
Bridgestone
Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires

Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires

The best deal in performance tires

The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 has been a good value in a performance tire for several years. I now have two different sizes of this tire on two different cars - both Subarus - and I also had this tire on my old Audi 5000.

My 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon had cheap tires on it when I bought it with 77,000 miles on the odometer. The tires soon needed to be replaced and I wanted something that would firm up the car's mushy handling, so I replaced the 185/70-14 non-performance tires with H-rated Potenza RE92 195/60-14 tires. As I expected, this firmed up the car's handling and did it without sacrificing comfort and noise.

(An H-rating is the lowest of the true performance tire ratings. The other performance ratings are V, W and Z, all of which indicate tires with stiffened sidewalls and significant speed specifications. S- and T-ratings are non-performance ratings and you can expect softer handing with such tires.)

I have now had these Bridgestone tires on my 1995 Subaru for at least 40,000 miles and they are wearing very well, although they have a treadwear rating of just 160. I run them at 33 psi and this has been good for handling, gas mileage and tire wear. In addition to firmer handling and good wear, the 195/60-14 Potenza RE92s are quiet and have decent traction in the wet and snow. They are not outstanding in the wet and snow, but they are good and predictable.

I now also have a 2003 Subaru Legacy sedan, and it came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 205/55-16 tires. Like the tires on my other Subaru, these new tires are H-rated. With a wider tread and a shorter sidewall, I'm particularly impressed with the crisp turn-in and handling. As far as handling and braking are concerned, the car feels pleasingly nimble on these tires.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 is available in a wide variety of specifications and sizes. I checked the company's Web site (www.bridgestone-firestone.com) and this tire is available for wheel sizes from 13 to 17 inches, and performance ratings of H, V and Z. In addition, Bridgestone has versions of this tire with treadwear ratings of 160, 260 and 360, as well as pressure ratings of 35, 44, 50 and 51 psi. (My tires are all 35-psi versions but 51-psi tires might be useful for getting higher gas mileage. Usually, the higher the tire pressure, the better gas mileage the car gets.) All things being equal, I would get tires with a higher pressure rating.

My experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 is positive. I like the comfort, low-noise, firm handling and decent treadwear. The tires have good traction and are predictable in the rain and snow. Braking performance is also good and the tires are reasonably priced, at least at The Tire Rack.

December 19, 2008 Update:

I no longer have the 2003 Subaru sedan, which I sold a bit more than a year ago with only 20,000 miles on it. Although I had some problems with the car, the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires were fine and still had lots of tread.

I do still have the 1995 Subaru wagon, but the Bridgestone tires wore out after 40,000 miles. Bridgestone no longer makes Potenza RE92 replacements in the size this car takes, so I had to switch to a different brand of tire. In the process, I had to give up the H-rating, as no manufacturer makes H-rated tires in the size my Subaru wagon takes (185/70-14). Bummer... I would have bought a set of the Potenza RE92 tires if it was still available.

Good tires, if you dont mind replacing them often.

I had a hard time deciding on whether to choose 3 or 4 stars.  If possible I'd rate this a 3.5.  It's not a bad tire.  It has excellent dry weather traction thoughout it's lifetime, and is a quiet tire throughout it as well.  It has good wet and snow traction, until it gets closer to the end of it's service life.  It has equally good ride characteristics, giving your car a sporty feel without having sidewalls so stiff that your fillings fall out.   Internally, the Potenza RE92 features twin steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon belt edge strips (for H-speed rated sizes) or a full spiral-wrapped cap ply along with single belt edge strips (for V-speed rated sizes). This means (as usual) the V rated tire has a stiffer sidewall and sportier (or harsher depending on what you are looking for), ride.  The big disadvantage that this tire has, in it's quest for a balance in everything(perhaps), is a very low treadwear rating.  160AA for most sizes, and a few have a 360AA rating, which for the few sizes rated 360, is low compared to other offerings out on the market.  My cynical nature can't help but make me think of designed obsolescence here.  The quicker your tires wear out, the more often you will be forced to buy a new set.  The fact that this tire is an offering on a number of cars from manufacturers (OEM as the industry term is used) doesn't help me get away from that thinking either.  I actually dislike rating a tire from Bridgestone so poorly, my favourite tires on any car I've owned were Bridgestone RE730s on my old Mazda 626-V6.

Bridgestone tires

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

When I drove a ford explorer, I had these tires. These tires are awesome. They worked very well in the snow, I wouldn't get stuck anywhere. I like the company's warranty because once I had a new tire with a leak and they replaced the tire for free. I had just gotten tires 2 days ago so they said there was probably something wrong with the product. The company gave me no hassle and replaced it. I would reccomend these tires to anyone!

Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires - Excellent Buy

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

My Mazda 626 came equipped with these tires and I have not been disappointed with them at all. I feel secure driving during dry conditions and wet conditions as well. I never feel like I am hydroplaning when the road gets wet. Mazda did a good job of road testing this tire before equipping their 626 with this brand. I am also quite impressed with the quietness of the ride. I guess I did not even think about this until now since usually the only time that is a complaint is when the tires start "howling." I am happy with the tracking in snow and feel confident in my ability to stay on the road and in my ability to stop in snow. I attribute this to the tread design. I am nearing the warranty mileage on these tires and the tread still looks good. Since I put miles on quickly, I am sure they will far exceed the warranted mileage. That brings me to fuel efficiency. I definitely knock out the expected MPG with this tire, and from experience I know that tire performance is a big factor in MPG. One last thing I want to mention is the comfort of the ride. Since I spend so much time in my car, comfort is important. I have no complaints on the smoothness of the ride.

Good Price Great Value

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

After the original tires on my car began to show wear after 20,000 miles I was in the market for replacements. Despite the bad press Firestone stores were receiving at the time I decided to take a chance on their Potenza tire. At 80,000 miles there was still good tread on the tires but I replaced them anyway. When I sold the car with 110,000 miles there was plenty of tread left. This fact added to the trade in value of my car. They handled well in snow and rain. I never experienced slipping in snow or poor traction in rain. I do alot of long distance travel on both Interstates and back roads. The tires were quiet and handled rough country with ease. Their is also comfort in knowing that Firestone stores are available nationally to repair a flat and provide free balancing. Iam sure that when the tires on my new car need to be replaced I will be using the Bridgestone Potenza. I have no problem recommending this tire.

Beastly tires

from Greenville, SC

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

You will definitely get what you are paying for out of these tires. I did! Next to comparable tires of a different make, I probably wouldn't stray too far away from these. I am so glad I purchased these!

More or less, these tires are for the driving enthusiast. These tires have the right balance of almost everything you could want. One of the big things I look for in a tire is the ability to have the tire "communicate" to the driver. I would probably say that I could take a fresh set of these out and make turns at almost 10 mph faster than the stock tires on my car. Not that I would recommend that style of driving, but the point is that if the tire is capable at holding at a higher speed, then it has even more traction during normal driving habits. That's great for a tire!

Everything else about the tire is great as well. Wet traction is admirable and the tire is durable. These tires have a nice quality of evenly wearing, or more simply, you won't see a vast change in handling the older the tires get. You will be treated with a gradual wear with equally gradual performance.

Ultimately, these tires have made for a great experience for me. I love the aggressiveness that these tires provide for my car. With all the other qualities combined, I look at these tires as more of an investment over a necessity. My one ding against quality is that it isn't as much as a fuel efficient tire. I have seen a 3 mpg decrease on my car's mpg computer. While the loss of efficiency might translate into paying more at the pump, I still look at it as the ticket price for a whole lot of fun for the daily commute. I am so glad I purchased these tires and would definitely buy them again.

Good quality

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires 7 years ago and they lasted about a year, which isn't particularly suprising considering the harsh winters I have to face here in Quebec, Canada. There are quite icy roads and unfortunately, we don't have the best maintenance for them, so if you have bad tires - you'll notice it very quickly.

In any case, with my personal experience with these tires was that they didn't feel any particularly better than any old regular tire, and they didn't seem to lower my fuel consumption in any noticeable fashion, so if you're looking for that, this isn't your tires.

In terms of quality, however, it is pretty good. They didn't make my morning commute any less terrible, but they were great during icy conditions which are quite frequent here, so I should know.

I definitely recommend them to my friends, as we're all in the same boat with icy roads and these work perfectly with them.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Boise, ID

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

I bought these tires on a recommendation of the dealership where I bought my car. I was a bit hesitant at first, because of the cost. New tires are so costly! We have had a crazy fall/winter here in Idaho a I have been pleasantly surprised. These tiresare geat! No slipping, no skidding or any other unfortunate events have occured with these tires. I have noticed that even simple things during my drive are a lot smoother and knowing I have such great tires puts my own mind at ease a bit. These new tires have with stood a lot of unexpected winter weather, as well. They seem to do extremely well in both the snow and ice that we have had this winter. When looking around for new ties, I would definately recommened this product to both my friends and my family. I have had troubles with tires in the past through the various seasonal changes in Idaho. If you are looking for the top of the line in tires, look no further. you will not be disappointed.

The only tires I've ever used

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

I bought a used mustang when I lived in California and it needed new tires. These were recommended so these were the ones I got. They were in my price range and I didn't know one brand from the next. They lasted me all through college. I don't know how often you're supposed to change tires, but I got my car serviced often and they always told me they looked good. I traveled to and from school 3-5 days per week. That was approximately a 40 min drive round trip. Part of the drive was on rough road. Half of the year is really rainy as well and the roads get slippery. I never had a problem and always felt completely safe. I also wasn't aware that tires needed to be rotated until a year in and even then, they still managed to last a long time. When I finally had to purchase replacements I asked for the same exact ones and had the same positive experience. I recommend these if you are looking for tires that last.

Overall great performance tire grip wet or dry.

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

Overall great performance tire. For its price range the tires have a great wet or dry grip. Used these for daily driving and happy with the performance and has pretty good wear so far. I highly recommend these for daily driving use. I've owned more expensive tires that had similar characteristics but less wear.

Noisy, noisy, noisy!

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

Do not use it for any volvo. It's very noisy. I was considering selling my car because it got an annoying noise. Guess what, the mechanic advised me to switch to a real good brand tire, so I replaced Potenza only after 15 k miles and no more noise. Do not recommend for Volvo owners anything other than Michelin.

Wow, great handleing.

from Daytona Beach, FL

Comments about Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Tires:

No tire noise, quiet ride, great handleing.  Rides like the wind, smooth, safe handleing.  Looks great, styleish, trendy,  The price for such quality is truly remarkable.  If you need a tire that handles well, looks good, is the latest trend, then this is the tire for you.  Save money, better handleing, looking good is the sign of the times.