4.1
Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520

Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520

4.1

Excellent thermometer

The Braun thermoscan ear thermometer is the best electronic thermometer avialable today. I used to use the old thermometers, knowing they were inaccurate and was searching for something with more accuracy and technology. That's when I came across the Braun thermoscan. Who knew that a technology company better known for its razors would be that great with electronic thermometers? Initially, I balked at the price, but as I read more and more reviews and talked to some professionals, I realized that the investment was definitely worth the initial price I would have to pay. The thermometer is very easy to use. I did not need to read the manual or anything - it just came to me. The readings provided by the thermometer are really fast and can be kept in memory so that you can monitor the progression of a flu. Overall, I would recommend the Braun thermometer for those in the market to move up - it works and is extremely useful!

Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer ok, short lived

When I spend a fair amount of money on a product like this, I appreciate getting a good quality product that does its job well and lasts a long time. After purchasing the Braun Thermoscan about two years ago, I was pleased. It works fast, effectively and I loved that my children did not have to sit for long periods of time waiting on it and that I could take their temperature at night without waking them up. It remembers the last temperature you took, so if you accidently turn it off (or little fingers do that for you!), you can still get the last reading. I love the convenience of the base that it comes with, which makes it easy for me to store and it also has a great place for the probe covers (which are, on the down side, kind of pricey). With all that good, why did I rate it average? Because I would have expected this thermometer to read well and do a good job for years! I mean, I know it won't live forever, but really... This started giving me bad readings after about a year and a half. It is totally useless to give accurate readings anymore, which means it might as well be in the garbage. I think that stinks, and that is why I don't recommend this product.

Very quick and accurate!

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

I absolutely LOVE this thermometer! I have used this with all my children, it has lasted us years and works just as well now as it did when we first bought it. It takes only a few seconds to take the temperature and beeps to let you know as soon as it's done. It also always has an accurate temperature reading, I've had to take my children't temperature and then right after take them to the pediatrician for at least two occasions, and in every occasion when that has happened the temperature I had been shown at home is always the same temperature that the nurses get when I get to the pediatricians office.

I also love how this thermometer has a comfortable design so it doesn't give my children any discomfort, they don't mind having their temperature taken my older two children even ask to have their temperature taken with this thermometer when they aren't feeling well, and in the off chance that they don't want their temperature taken, it goes fast enough that it's not a pain to do it.

pros and cons

from Lancaster, NY

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

The Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermomter is pretty accurate. It is roughly off by one degree from the actual temperature. If you have this product check it against your doctor's during the next visit. You may discover that you will have to add anywhere from Half of one degree to as much as 1 degree to the reading to obtain the actual temperature. IThe Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer is widely available but fair warning it is a rather pricey item. They are cheaper alternatives that are just as accurate. I would suggest purchasing a digital thermometer and placing it in the crevice of the arm pit and measure the temperature. The results are about the same for a fraction of the cost. Make sure you ask a pharmacist or your pediatrician about whether or nott his product is suitable for infants.

Great thermometer

from Claremont, CA

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

Extremely easy to use. Nice prewarmed tip for comfort. Never had a problem with this thermometer since day 1. Only problem seems to be that it's precision isn't where its supposed to be. Measuring consecutive temperatures within minutes of each other with give plus or minus 1 degree difference, which isn't a whole in the grand scheme of things but when you're febrile, 102 is very different than 103. The product is still highly recommended. Since, easy to use, fast, well built. Will definitely last for years to come. Fairly expensive for a thermometer but a wise investment for health conscious individuals. Difficult to measure in small children due to small ear canals on children but not impossible. Quick note, no light on the display for turn on lights to see the temperature reading. I would definitely recommend this product to my friends.

worth the money

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

Braun usually makes pretty good products at affordable prices. Since we needed a thermometer, we thought picking this up would be a pretty good idea, and it was! Since you don't use it that often, it is worth the investment to get something fairly cheap but reliable. It has really fast readings. It is not like the long ones where you stick them in your ear or under the tongue or under the armpit for really long. It takes a few seconds for it to come in with a reading. It is extermely easy to use. One thing that is really great about this thermometer is that it has a memory feature so you can keep track of what your temperature recordings were earlier in the day. It may be on the steeper price for many people in terms of price, but it is inexpensive if you think about it for something you don't use that often. Also one word of advice is to use the protective covering it gives you always as to make sure you keep it clean

Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer ok, short lived

from Portland, TN

Not for little babies

from Astoria, NY

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

I got this as well as an all in one thermometer (oral, rectal, arm) and I compared the results a few times when my baby started getting fevers, around 3 months old. I relied on the braun, knowing it was the best - but it missed a fever a few times with her so I no longer rely on it. When she is a little older - maybe 3 or 4 I will start using it again. It does not work for smaller babies because their ears are too small. Our pediatrician also uses a Braun thermometer but his is a lot more accurate than ours.

I do not recommend using this for small babies. It is good to have in the house for older kids and it takes the temperature a lot quicker than any other method. I have used it for myself and it works fine for me, but for smaller babies it will not work.

I love t hat it has really fast readings and it also keeps a few of the past temps in the memory - great feature. It can be expensive, but you can usually find it on sale.

Excellent thermometer

from Pikesville, MD

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

braun thermoscan is good enough for a pediatrician's office

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

I am currently in a residency position at a pediatrician's office and my supervising doctor uses the Braun Thermoscan ear thermometer. I think that pretty much sums up why you should consider purchasing this thermometer: it is good enough for a pediatrician's office. We use it on all our patients from babies to their mothers and fathers. It's really quick and the little kids enjoy the rocket like projectile effect when we 'pop' the plastic cover off of the thermometer after use. I am not a fan of the plastic cover otherwise, though as it is a choking hazard and a waste of plastic. I am unsure what they could do instead of have a plastic cover, of course. Perhaps a corn based 'plastic' that could be composted would be a good option. I have heard from other doctor friends that the thermometer is not incredibly acurate when there is a large amount of ear wax in the ear, as it obscures the pathway to the ear drum, which is what the Thermoscan is gauging the temperature off of. My advice? Keep your ears clean and this will be a good thermometer for you and your family.

Awesome Thermometer

from Erwin, TN

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

I have owned this thermometer for over a year now and have never had a problem with it.  It is very reliable and accurate.  I have used it on myself, my 5 year old son, and my infant daughter as well without a problem.  Highly recommended.

This is a great Thermometer

from Columbia, SC

Comments about Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer - IRT4520:

I bought this at a 24hour drug store one night at 2am because my daughter was burning up and we needed to get a temp reading. The oncall Pediatrician said that any old rectal thermometer would work but she was in histarics and I didn't want to go down that route. So when I saw this one hanging on a shelf I asked the pharmacist a few questions and took it home. I like that it comes with ear covers to replace as someone is sick. It fits in my preschoolers ear, as well as my husbands. Later when I asked my Pediatrican about Ear Thermometers, I was told some brands were ok and others not. This one is 'great' she siad. The ear tip preheats before it registers an acturate tempurature. It only takes a few seconds and I definatly like the feature of not undressing my children just to take a temp. I have been able to do while they slept also. The only two drawbacks I have are the price, it was a little expensive (probably because I bought it at a drug store) and there is no backlight. It can't be read in the dark. Which makes is difficult to take a temp at night in a dark bedroom. But overall I love it  and I'm glad we have one.