3.8
Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box

Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box

3.8

Kitty's pee palace!

I bought the Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box for my cat when she was still a kitten.  Since she was so small I thought having the steps would help her get in and out of the litter box.  Plus the steps would help cut down on the litter getting tracked all over the place.  She instantly loved this litter box.  She actually gets a little "upset" when I take the dome apart to clean.  She watches me the entire time I'm cleaning it!  I also loved the pretty colors this litter box comes in.

There is an area on the inside of the box where you can put filters, to help trap the litter box stink.  There is a small latch that holds the filter to the side of the dome.  Somehow and for some strange reason, my cat likes to REMOVE the filter from it's "home" and chew on the filters.  After trying many things I've figured out that it's the charcoal in the filters that she's attracted to.  So, I stopped using the filters.  I didn't think it was very safe or healthy for my cat to be chewing on them.  I'm probably the only cat with such a fetish, but wanted to let everyone know just in case the filters are suddenly not where they're supposed to be!  I honestly don't notice any difference without the filters, the dome itself keeps in a lot of odors.  But, I didn't use the filters for very long, so I can't be sure.

Some other people have said the box itself is hard to clean.  I use the plastic litter box liners that are specifically made for this litter box.  They aren't that easy to find, and kind of expensive.  But it makes cleaning MUCH easier.  If scooping the litter isn't enough, I can take the whole bag out and the mess is gone.  Then I usually use my hand vac to clean up the litter on the steps, and it's all clean!  The top and bottom fit together perfectly so that there's no chance of litter escaping from anywhere except the entrance/exit.

There are only a couple things that* *I don't like about this litter box.  My major complaint is that the steps don't really help keep the litter from being tracked all over.  Now that my cat is full grown, she just hops over the side and out of the litter box.  She doesn't actually walk down the steps.  Also, the litter box is much bigger than any other litter box out there, so finding a place for it, out of the way, is kind of difficult.

Also, if you have multiple cats this box probably isn't a good idea.  There's not a whole lot of room in the actual litter box.  So, unless you want to clean it often, you might want to get something a little bigger!

Overall I think this is a great investment for any cat owner!

I've grown to hate this litter box.

I purchased this litter box after a friend sang it's praises. Her three cats share the Booda Dome and everything is wonderful and as it should be. My experience is not nearly as positive, and I've truly grown to hate this thing.

Let me start by saying that if your cats have normal bathroom habits, the Booda Dome is probably great for you. No litter box can account for every possible quirk, and this thing just plain doesn't work for my two cats.

The plastic channel around the circumference of the dome is a lovely place for cat urine to build up. My female cat has a habit of spraying the wall of the box when she goes, so the urine trickles down onto this little ledge and makes it's way  all around the channel. This is an issue with the design of the box, as I have checked and double checked to be sure that I had the top and bottom connected correctly. If you don't scrub it down every few days it crystalizes, which is really just gross. The thing is not easy to clean, and the best way I've found is blasting it with the garden hose, which is inconvenient to say the least.

The next issue is the little "notch" in the back of the rim on the bottom half. I suppose this thing has something to do with holding the liners, which we don't use (we use flushable litter). It provides a perfect outlet for all of that urine around the rim to leak out of the back of the box and form a lovely little puddle on the floor.

The lack of a latch to keep the top and bottom connected is just absurd and makes moving the box a hassle. The ramp does very little to contain litter if your cats, like mine, rocket out of the litter box at warp speed. I have just as much litter on the floor as I did before.

Large dogs would be thwarted by this thing, but my 17 pound pooch certainly isn't. She climbs right up on the ramp to hunt for snacks.

Overall, the only positive things I can say about the Booda Dome from my experience is that it's much more attractive than conventional litter boxes and it does a very good job of containing odors. I will be replacing this litter box in the near future.

I love this litter box

from Floyd

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Cleans Easily
  • Durable
  • Keeps Litter In
  • Large Capacity
  • Reduces Tracking

Cons

• Indoor Cats
    • Multiple Cats

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

I love this cat litter box it keeps the litter in, (My cats always made a mess in the floor with litter boxes without lids), it keeps the odor down a bit .

Quality has diminished

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

I have purchased 7 over these over the years. Not only has the price gone up and up but the quality has gone down. I just bought a second one not more than a month ago, and it is garbage. Sorry I did not hold on to the older ones I had. They held up over owning 6 adults cats.

Great way to keep everyone happy!

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

This is a great litter box for both the owner and the cat. The steps into the litter box and the deep bowl to it keep litter from tracking all over the house. The box is still very large for the cat so he is able to do all his business without feeling cramped. The optional carbon filter helps to keep the box from stinking up the whole house which is a bonus for any cat owner!

There are a few downsides to this box. The "bowl" to the box is deep and large, it tends to take quite a bit of litter to fill in comparison to regular rectangle boxes. Also when dumping the whole box, there is always going to be some litter caught in the steps so it can be a little messy to dump.

Neat look - roomy interior...

from Houston, TX

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

The box looks neat, but it is kind of a pain to keep clean. The cats were terrified of it in the beginning, but acclimated quickly. The biggest drawback was really that it was impossible to find a bag that was big enough (and strong enough) to handle the box, the litter, and all the cats that use it.

Could be better

from Rio Rancho, NM

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

This was a great idea, really was, but it has many flaws.1. Too big, takes up a lot of space and is hard to hide.2. Hard to clean, there are so many grooves and ridges that its difficult to get clean.3. There Should be a wall that scales the ramp to the top. My cat just jumps over to keep from having to use the ramp completely and still gets litter everywhere.4. Hard to scoop, its rounded walls make it difficult to get to all the litter.5. Shape has a lot of spaces beneath the box, I have to move the box entirely to vacuum all the litter that is kicked underneath. Catfood and toys end up under the box and its rather annoying.

Its a much needed change up of the traditionnal litter box

from Temple, TX

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

I like this litter box a lot. It really does cut down on the amount of litter my cat gets on the floor, though depending on her mood she can still manage to make a mess. The litter box also practically eliminates the cat pee smell. So much that sometimes I forget to clean the box on time. I take it to the car wash occasionally to spray it with the high powered water hose, as pee manages to get in the grooves where the top and bottom connect.

Three legged kities love the ramp!

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

So we have 2 three legged cats. One kitten and one much older who came to us through rescue groups. the older LOVES his regular domed litter box and spends what we think to be a little TOO much time in it. The Kitten was having troubles using his box becuase of the step and an uncovered square box just was too messy. This was the solution. It makes it easier for him to get in, it catches the mess, and the other cat won't bug him when he is doing his thing. I was very skeptical at first but it took no time at all, he used it the first time and hasn't has any challenges or accidents since then. It sits in a corner of the room and is just a great relief for him to get in the box when he needs to.

A Great Cat Litter Box, the Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box!

from East Norwich, NY

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box - is a great cat litter box for many reasons.

The number one reason I like this cat litter box is because it helps minimize the cat litter my cat tracks from the cat litter box back into the room.  I personally despise cat litter any where besides he cat litter box, it is also a pain to clean up.  The steps and round about way th cat exits the Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box helps to minimize the litter my cat tracks back into the room.

More good reasons to buy this litter box are its size, it is a covered, a built in handle, there are liners for this litter box, it has a filter, and has a pleasing design.  My cat is a large cat and appreciates a large box, it is 50 bigger than most cat litter boxes on the market. My cat is a picky cat, she does not like to use covered litter boxes, but those are the only ones I buy for again it helps to minimize the litter trackage into the room, it helps to minimize the odor and provides privacy. I like the handle on the cover for it helps to easily remove the cover.  While I am not a neat freak, I enjoy a cleanly home and as such these litter box liners make it easier to clean the Booda Dome Clean Step Littler Box.  I personally love my cat but not the odors that come from owning a cat, the filter in the lid helps to minimize the odors.  I also lie the design of the litter box, and all of the colors that it comes in. I have the silver one, but it does come in pin, tan, purple and some other colors.

I hope you find this review helpful, have fun shopping! ;)

Great product with minor issues

from Spotsylvania, VA

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

Shortly after my wife and I adopted two little kittens we went looking for a long term litter box solution. We had a standard litter pan and were very unsatisfied with it. At the pet shop we saw many different types of litter boxes. Anything from standard hooded models to automatic cleaning ones! WOW! In the end we chose the Booda Dome Clean Step model.

The reasons were pretty good too.

1. The hooded dome with a charcoal filter to help keep the air clean! This dome works like a charm and the filters can be purchased at any pet store. Plus the filters do not need to be Booda brand.

2. The stairs that help prevent litter leakage. While they are not perfect they work well enough.

3. Large enough for 2 cats! That was very important to us.

It is a cool looking litter box and most everyone had no idea it was our litter box until we told them. This litter box combined with a good litter will make people wonder if you truly do have cats!

My Kitty is enjoying her privacy in the Booda Dome

from Texarkana, TX

Comments about Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box:

After recently adopting a cat, we realized that our dog loved to eat the little cat "treats" she leaves in her covered litter box. After much researching, I decided to try the Booda Dome because it would make it difficult for the dog to get her head in and around to the cat litter. When I first opened the Booda Dome, our cat liked it immediatlely! She even went inside before it was set up as her litter box. Our cat took to the Booda immediately, there was no missing her old litter box, she loves the privacy it provides. Our dog is no longer able to get to his cat treats, so the Booda has worked perfectly for this purpose. The Booda Dome states that it keeps litter off the floor with the stairs into the box, which it does "help" to keep some litter off the floor, however there is still a fair amount of litter on the floor, maybe my cat is a bit messier than others. It does seem that the Booda keeps the smell of the litter down a bit longer than traditional litter boxes. I love the look of the Booda, it is a bit more fancy than a traditional box. I have not had any problems with scooping out the litter box or latching the hood on top as other users have.