Other Coffee Makers:

Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker

Pros

Cons

Cute and makes a great cup of coffee

The Bodum Brazil 12 oz. French Press is temperature safe, brews 12 oz's of coffee in under four minutes, includes three piece stainless steel filter, is dishwasher safe, and has a one...Read complete review

The Bodum Brazil 12 oz. French Press is temperature safe, brews 12 oz's of coffee in under four minutes, includes three piece stainless steel filter, is dishwasher safe, and has a one year warranty.

I absolutely love this French press, not only is it made in this beautiful green color but it makes an amazing quick cup of coffee. I like only making one cup of coffee at a time because I rarely ever drink more then that, and this French press allows me to make a small amount of coffee so I don't end up wasting the rest.

The only thing I don't like about the French press is that it would be easy to break if you are not careful. I have to be very careful when I wash this, because the glass seems fragile. It's very easy to clean, and use though, especially when I am in a rush.

Brew Performance
I get the perfect brew every time I use my French press. It's strong and it tastes great. I never find any coffee grounds floating around in my coffee which is great.

It's simple to clean. All you have to do is dump the grounds out in the garbage, and then rinse it out with a little soap and water. It barely takes any times at all. It's the most simple and easy to clean coffee maker I've ever had.

It's very easy to use, just like any other French press. all you have to do is add the coffee grounds below, put the plunger in, add the hot boiling water, then press. It makes the perfect brew of coffee without getting any of the coffee grounds in it. Anyone can make coffee this way, it's so much easier then having to plug in a machine and the hassle of having to use paper filters.

I think the design of the French press is great. I really enjoy the array of colors they let me choose from. I picked the green, and it's a gorgeous green color. Obviously the green wouldn't go with every one's kitchen but it looks great in mine. The glass can be fragile but French presses made completely out of plastic don't look great. I like that the French press is small so I can leave it out on my counter top or easily store it away in the cabinet.

The beaker is made out of glass, so if you drop it, it will break. If it wasn't made out of glass it would be durable. As long as you don't drop it, the glass is great because it is temperature safe and won't crack just because you put boiling water in it. The outside is plastic or vinyl, and the inside plunger and parts are stainless steel. The plastic is very durable as well as the stainless steel on the inside.

Delicate french press

I purchased this product for home use. After a short period of daily use, the glass carafe cracked and broke. The crack occured while being carefully hand washed. This item was handled gently and did not hold up under normal circumstances. I feel the item was defective. In contrast, I have a different bodum french press with a glass carafe that is used multiple times daily and handled the same way, with no cracks. The press did brew a very good cup of coffee.

While the item was easy to clean, it broke while being gently handwashed.

Item broke while being gently handwashed.

Least Favorite Bodum

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

I used to have the larger, nicer (more expensive) Bodum but it had an accident and shattered. This is the French Press that we replaced it with and we were disappointed. I like the size just fine, but I did prefer the larger size. This one does not have ounces indicators on the glass container which is more than a little irritating at times. I have gotten okay at "Eye-balling it" but real numbers would have been more accurate. The plastic parts on this particular model (as compared to other Bodums) even feel cheaper. While I was looking for a bargain-priced Bodum the details that are lacking really take away from the user friendly nature of the French Press. It is the same concept and it does an okay job as a French Press but it is not the same as the more expensive version. I have had a harder time keeping the silt and grounds out of my coffee during the pouring process. This lid does not have the same turning capability as many of the other models and it's not just an ascetic problem. There is no way to seal off the vented portion which makes the coffee cool down much faster. As an upside, you do not need to spin the top around to locate it, but it does not out weight the fact that is is also harder to slide on. This for me is just "OK" and in the event it breaks, I will go back to something closer to my original model.

Cute and makes a great cup of coffee

from Stroudsburg, PA

Good for small households

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

My husband uses an Aeropress if he's the only one having coffee, but we have a Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker for days when we have guests and need to make two cups. Actually, it makes a bit less than two full cups, which is fine for those that take their coffee with milk, but a little annoying for black coffee drinkers. Other than the amount, it makes good coffee, though not quite as smooth as the Aeropress.

Brew Performance
The Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker gives you a lot of control over the strength of your coffee, since you choose the grind and then brew time. Since it uses a metal filter, rather than paper, it retains the oils that gives coffee its "bite" (which some people like, though I prefer a smoother cup).

It's dishwasher-safe, so we just put the grounds in the trash and rinse it between uses, then run both pieces through the dishwasher from time to time.

Just add the ground coffee of your choice and boiling water, then push the plunger when it reaches your preferred strength.

It's well-designed for pouring and cleaning, the only thing to watch out for is that the glass gets quite hot.

Delicate french press

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

While the item was easy to clean, it broke while being gently handwashed.

Item broke while being gently handwashed.

• Brew Performance:

Awesome spacer saver vs a regular coffee machine

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

My husband and I didn't use to drink a lot of coffee; for one, the caffeine upsets my husband's stomach and for two, we have a tiny kitchen with little counter space for a coffee machine. When family came to visit who are coffee drinker, it became a bit of a problem. My mom finally went out one day and bought us this French Press to use. It has been a great addition to the house!

Now when we have people visit who drinks coffee we have something to offer them. I love that it gives the ability to make either one or 2 cups depending on what you feel like. I don't feel like we are wasting coffee like we used to when brewing a whole pot since most of our guests drink caffeinated coffee and my husband and I drink decaf. Most of all I love how much easier it is to clean and how much less space it takes to store when not using it. Thanks mom for a great gift!

Quick, delicious coffee!

from Flemington, NJ

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

I have had several Bodum French Press coffee makers, and I like this one best. The plastic on this model helps protects the glass carafe from breaking better than the metal models. The parts are dishwasher safe and easy to assemble/disassemble to clean. We prefer the taste of French pressed coffee to that of a drip-style coffee maker. Bodum knows how to make a simple, quality product-just add coffee, water, stir, and press! Voila! Delicious cafe coffee at home! This can also be used to brew loose leaf teas. The carafe can make two or three cups at a time, which might be a drawback for some, but it is so quick and easy to make another batch, I wouldn't consider it a drawback. You can't go wrong with this if you like to make your own coffee!

Bodum Brazil makes excellent coffee

from Kansas City, KS

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

I got this french press as a christmas present and have been making way more coffee ever since. French press coffee is delicious- it's not bitter or burnt tasting, but is flavorful and aromatic. These things are true of all french presses so the key factors in choosing a specific french press are (in my opinion): price, durability, ease of use, ease of cleaning.

Price: The bodum brazil can often be found for incredibly low prices online.

Durability: It is made of glass so there's some risk of breakage, but it has held up well to normal use and the beaker is replaceable so you don't have to toss the press and buy a new one if you break it.

Use: super easy to use, just get some water near boiling and pour it on coffee ground in the bottom of the beaker. Stir with a plastic or wooden spoon. Put the press on top and push down after 3 minutes. It takes about 4 minutes to make a great cup of coffee once you have near boiling water.

Cleaning: The press breaks down into pieces for thorough cleaning. I only clean it really thoroughly on occasion. Usually I'll just rinse it out real well.

The Bodum French Presses make the best tasting coffee.

from Temple Terrace, FL

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

I am a coffee fanatic and have tried every machine, contraption, and idea there is to make good coffee (even paper towels and a strainer over a Pyrex). Without a doubt, coffee made with a french press is the best and I have only had Bodum presses because they are easy to use and relatively easy to clean. The only downsides are 1) the filter, which can easily plug if you don't clean it carefully after each use and 2) the danger of washing them in the dishwasher on the bottom level. They are dishwasher safe (especially on the top rack) but I have personally broken two by allowing them too close to the sprayer. The glass, while tempered and thick, is surprisingly delicate. But that is more than made up for by the great coffee!

Bodum french press - great product!

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

We had this Bodum french press for two years and loved it. We used it every day until it broke. The glass broke and we had to throw it away. About a year after we got this french press, the middle section (the part that you push down to separate the grounds from the water) broke - when we would try push it down, it would come apart. We were able to replace the part with a part from a french press we found in a thrift store, so that worked out well. We loved the coffee we made with this french press. We found that it was easy to clean and use, and we would definitely busy this product again in the future. We are currently using an all metal french press that we found at a thrift store and it works fine, but we miss our Bodum and will eventually replace it. One thing we really liked about the Bodum and miss when we use our "new" french press is that the Bodum is clear glass so you can see how dark your coffee is, and it's a lot easier to clean that way. We would recommend this product and think it is a great buy.

Bodum Brazil French Press Works Well

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Bodum Brazil 12-oz. French Press Coffee Maker:

The French Press is one of the fastest and most effective ways of making coffee. It offers a very high surface area for the coffee grounds to make contact with the water and distribute a richer, nuttier, and more intense flavor.

I am a barista at my local coffee shop and can honestly tell you - if you want to have coffee house flavor at your home or wherever you might be - go get a French Press.

That said, the Bodum Brazil 10948 works well, but leaves some to be desired. The design allows for some coffee grounds to sneak into the coffee and leave it tasting bitter and overpowering. If you play around with it a bit, you can prevent this most of the time, but it still happens.

Overall, however, the 10948 is a solid press with a strudy design for travel and durability and a fine mesh strainer for the grounds. It makes excellent coffee if you can stop the coffee grounds from entering the cup. This may require an extra straining, but for the price and the other good qualities, I think it is still worth a buy.