3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

I LOVE my Blackberry Torch

In September 2010, I decided that it was time to replace my Blackberry Curve and move on to a new smartphone. At first, I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone since I am a fan of Apple products until an AT&T representative showed me the Blackberry Torch.

Honestly, it was love at first sight. Since I have been a Blackberry user for years, I am accustomed to using a keyboard. Unlike the iPhone, the Blackberry Torch combines a touchscreen and a slide-out keyboard which is perfect for me.

Although I was unimpressed with the applications AT&T and Blackberry offer for this phone, the Blackberry Torch keeps me organized and always up-to-date with e-mails, news stories, and facebook. As a result, I most definitely recommend the Blackberry Torch to anyone who is looking for a great smartphone.

RIM missed the boat a bit on this one!

So I was all hyped up by the new Blackberry Torch featuring the touch screen capabilities. That is, until I actually got one two weeks ago. I received the phone on Friday and flew to Mexico on Monday. Over the first weekend at home, I had numerous dropped calls which I never experienced with my Bold 9700. Same carrier, same house. New phone. Deduction....the torch was causing the issue. I flew to Mexico on Monday and when I turned the phone on when we hit the runway, I had a bad omen...the phone wouldn't roam to TelCel, but was stuck on the much slower Movistar network. Over the next 72 hours, I had over 50 dropped calls, periods of no service whatsoever...literally watched the phone jump from 3G to EDGE to edge to GSRM in less than 10 minutes while sitting in the same area. AT&T's International customer service didn't seem to think this was an issue. Heck, as long as the phone was data and voice capable while I was on the phone with them, it was hard to get them to even admit there WAS a problem. The battery life suffered a huge hit also since I was roaming back and forth on different networks. I had to carry my charger with me everywhere. Now back in the states and I have had a few more days to play around with the Torch. A bit disappointed that some of the apps from the Bold 9700 aren't available - my Sudoku game misses me as much as I miss it I'm sure! The screen takes a bit of getting used to, however, I do love having a bigger viewing screen. Internet response is MUCH improved with the new interface, I actually LOVE surfing the web with this device. I am usually the first person to try new technology at my company and the one to recommend these products to members of staff. Normally, I am always raving about the latest and greatest Blackberry devices...however, I think RIM missed the boat a bit with this latest model.

Not a fan

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

Let me start off by saying that I have always been a huge blackberry supporter. I love the keyboard and the keypad that they have. I bought the Torch and for the first few months I did truly enjoy it. I didn't use all of the features, but I did have my email set up, facebook, twitter, and BBM all set up. After a few months I noticed that the phone started to slow down. I would have to manually take out the battery and restart my phone alot more as time went on. One thing that really irritated me about the Blackberry is that there are only a few apps available. For example, you couldn't download instagram or snapchat. The lack of apps is probably the number one reason why I switched to a different smartphone. I want to be able to be entertained by my phone and have the same applications that my friends have. I did enjoy the touch screen, I thought that was a really cool feature. However, I think that the Blackberry's time has come and I am very glad that I switched over to another brand.

I'm Satisfied

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

I wanted a Blackberry for the longest time ever! I wanted a phone with both touch screen capabilities and a normal handy Blackberry keyboard. Then the Blackberry torch came out and I was in heaven.The Durability of this phone is amazing,I dropped this phone so many times and not one crack! Although the Battery Life could go on for longer but since I use it 24/7 I can't blame it on the phone.The good thing about this phone is that it's not confusing, anyone can learn to use it.I highly recommend this Blackberry model if you're on the search for a phone which you can type a thousand words per minute and still enjoy a fun touch screen.

Battery Life
It could go for a bit longer but since I use it 24/7 I can't blame it on the phone.

Anyone can be a professional at using this.

I dropped this phone so many times and not one crack!

Touch Screen and a normal Blackberry.

• Call Quality:

The Blackberry Torch is a great phone.

from Granite City, IL

It's a great phone.

Battery Life
Battery lasts for a long time.

Display/Screen Quality
The screen quality is amazing. So clear and nice.

Call Quality
Calls have great sound and are rarely dropped.

It's very easy to use. It has a physical keyboard and a very informative manual.

This phone is very durable. i dropped mine several times and it still worked perfectly.

I love the design.

• Call Quality:

not bad, if you want a blackberry and not an iphone!

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

sadly my torch has bit the dust. while i do think this phone has some issues (internet freezes kind of often for me on the last 2 I had) I do think this is a great option if you want some iphone similarities without leaving blackberry.

I just ordered the 9810 to replace my 9800. will hope for some improvements beyond just going up to 4g.

AWFUL

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

I had turned down the Iphone 4 to get this phone instead for Christmas. I was so excited because I had had an Ipod touch before this and could not wait to have a blackberry! However I soon came to the realization that this phone was awful. I was forced to pull the batter 4-8 times a day. My touch screen would often stop working and the paint would just chip right off. The phone would freeze atleast 6-10 times every hour especially in your text messages. The app store was nothing special and the phone was horrible playing apps anyways. Over all this phone was a waste of money, I have recently switched to an Iphone and threw this phone out.

• Call Quality:

I recommend this product as I think it works very well.

from Tecumseh, MI

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

I think the overall rating is good for this phone. I have been a Blackberry user for many years and have used many different phones. Since this was a new product I had reservations and liked my Bold a little bit better just because the Torch freezes up quite a bit during normal use.

Battery Life
I find that I have to charge this phone every day as opposed to to charging every two days with the previous phones like the Bold that I used to have. the battery life is much less.

Display/Screen Quality
The screen quality is very good. The screen is much bigger and this is a big plus as opposed to my old phone. The quality is excellent as well for the bigger screen.

Call Quality
The call quality is very good and I have experienced no problems with that. I might add that with this phone however, it is very easy to press speaker while talking inadvertently which is very bothersome.

This phone is very easy to use.

It is very durable and works well despite being dropped a few different times.

I like that the keyboard slides out and is optional.

Great Blackberry Product

from Medicine Bow, WY

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

I love that this model has a full touch screen and a slide out QWERTY keyboard.

Battery Life
I can usually go 2 days without charging it.

Display/Screen Quality
Very crisp clear display.

Call Quality
The calls are OK, but the speaker needs to be louder.

Very easy to use.

I have dropped it numerous times. The "paint" has chipped in a few places but the Blackberry is still working fine.

Well designed.

It gets me from point A to point B... Utlitarian

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

Even if the Blackberry is an endangered species, it still has great e-mail functionality, its a fantastic organizer, it makes calls without issues, and there are no problems with messaging. The one GLARING issue is that the internet stinks on it.

Didnt like this phone

from Draper, UT

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

I upgraded to this phone when it first came out because I like blackberry phones in general and the thought of having a blackberry with a touchscreen was appealing to me, I found that to be a mistake. the screen itself is far too touchy and things seem to get clicked on even when I am not trying to click on them. the slide out keyboard is also too small. I dont have big hands or big fingers by any means but with the tiny size of the keys on the slide out keyboard I find that I am constantly hitting wrong keys and making spelling mistakes that I have to go back and fix when proofreading before I send my message. The phone itself is good and it has a lot of good features and qualities but there are definitly some design flaws that make it a phone that is less than an ideal choice for me. If you dont mind the smaller keyboard and the touchyness of the touch screen then it is a good blackberry device but those flaws made it less than ideal for me and I ended up exchanging it for another phone.

My life is Simplified

from Fontana, CA

Comments about BlackBerry Torch Smartphone:

The Blackberry Torch is the first "smart" phone that I have purchased, and when I look back, I wonder how I ever did without one.  The features I use the most are the Calender/Even Reminder and obviously browser feature.  I would be lost without my phone reminding me about kid's practices and games, activities for work, and even reminders to send the wifey a loving text from time to time.  I know it's bad to rely so heavily on a phone for such things....but such is life today.  The ability to access the internet has helped with everything from finding directions, phone numbers, movie times, etc.  With this being my first venture into the Blackberry world, I can't speak too much on the advanced features.  I can say that this phone knocks the socks off the Pantec I previously used.