Other Tablets:

BlackBerry Playbook Tablet

Pros

Cons

The Blackberry Playbook is an impressive mobile tablet

I received my Blackberry Playbook shortly before Thanksgiving as a gift from an appreciative part-time employer. I lost no time setting it up and trying it out. I love the 7" screen and the overall size of the Playbook. At about half the size of the Apple iPad it's made for mobile types like myself. I can pop it in a jacket pocket or my case and off I go.

For those not familiar with the Playbook it operates on Blackberry's QNX Operating System, a Real Time OS that is currently in use in a great many mission critical systems. The International Space Station comes to mind. Clearly this is more than a smartphone OS that's been blown up for use on a tablet. But this unique OS comes with pros & cons that will be discussed throughout this review. For now let's just say that the OS has a fluid solid feel to it and may be one of the easiest operating systems to master.

Battery Life
The 5300 mAh battery gives me approximately 10+ hours of mixed use. I use it throughout the day for checking email, surfing the web, keeping up with my favorite Youtube contributors and when I have the time watching some Amazon Prime Instant Videos. When not in active use I can further extend battery life by putting it in standby mode. Will it get you through the entire day? Even with heavy use the battery is up to the task

Processing Speed
The Playbook is powered by a 1Ghz Dual Core A9 Cortex processor. Matched to the QNX OS, the Playbook is among the fastest tablets in current use. One of its key strengths is its true multi-processing capability. Several applications can be run simultaneously without slowing the Playbook down. Open apps can be minimized, though still running, visible in the tray on the upper portion of the screen.

Weight
At less than a pound, the Playbook is easily handled. I use the Kobo Book App to read eBooks for extended periods in the evening without tiring.

App Availability
For my purposes most of the Apps I really need can be found in Blackberry App World. But then I'm not a gamer. My use of the Playbook is primarily as a quasi stand-in for my laptop when I'm away from home or having my morning coffee on the patio. There are definite advantages to living in South Florida.

That being said, if you have the need for the hundreds of thousands of apps that can be found in Apple's App Store or the Android Market, the Playbook might not be the Tablet for you.

Keep in mind though that with the availability of Playbook OS 2.0 released yesterday, Android developers can and are porting their apps to the Playbook. It'll be a while though before we see just how many make the transition. I'll be happy to see a Netflix and Skype App being offered.

The new OS 2.0 however has given the Playbook the native email client it was missing at launch along with Contacts and Calendar functionality with a neat social hub tie-in. Messages from several email accounts as well as Facebook,Twitter and Linkdin can be accessed through a consolidated Message Center.

The Playbook has a solid no nonsense feel to it. Looking at the front you see a solid slab of Gorilla Glass. Virtually all controls of the Playbook are found on the .7" bezel that surrounds the active 7-inch screen. On top you find a tiny power on/off button (a bit too small), volume control rockers in addition to a multimedia play/pause control.

A 3.5mm audio jack and dual microphones are also found on top. Along the bottom of the tablet there are microUSB, micro HDMI receptacles in addition to a magnetic dock/charging connection.

On either side of glass screen are a pair of front facing stereo speakers that distinguish the Playbook from most tablets. The sound is excellent and the stereo separation can be noticed.

Unlike most tablets, the Playbook has very capable front and rear cameras. Rated at 5MP (rear) and 3MP (front) they produce very pleasing HD quality images when used in decent lighting conditions.

Used with a suitable cover (I use a Bluex Leather Case), the Playbook doesn't need to be babied. The Gorilla Glass screen is extremely durable.

Pretty good, but not as handy as an ipad

Because I was given this device for free, I am okay with it. However, I would not suggest to anyone that they buy one. It's quite simply a waste of money and your cash can be spent elsewhere. At first it seems like a good investment, but the longer you own it the more you see the problems. Many apps download well, but when you go to use them all you receive is a blank screen. Popular apps such as Pinterest and Tumblr do not exist on it.

Battery Life
The battery tends to run out very quickly and takes a very long time to charge. Even if the brightness level of the screen is turned down, it still drains the battery when its on 'standby' nearly as fast as when it is being used.

It processes very slowly and frequently doesn't load apps

Weight
For as small as it is, it is quite heavy, and therefore not a gadget that you can carry around in your purse. It's a downfall when you don't have internet on any other device and want to use this playbook.

App Availability
It has quite a few apps, but not many of the popular ones that you can find on an ipad. The only common one is Facebook for Blackberry.

The durability is not very good. My sister had it and her tiny puppy stepped on it and cracked a large portion of the screen. The amount of pressure applied by such a small animal should not have resulted in the damage that was done.

I love this tablet

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

Had to replace the charger with a three pin magnetic charger, but it was cheap and works great. This tablet is marvelous for surfing the Web, and I use it every day.

Lasts for hours.

Fast enough

Light

Everything I need

Sleek

Original charger has well described flaw, though a three pin magnetic replacement is inexpensive and easy to use.

Pretty good, but not as handy as an ipad

It processes very slowly and frequently doesn't load apps

Not so great

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

I received this tablet as a gift on christmas and I must say that you can spend your hard earning money elsewhere. This tablet freezes on me and if you dont charge it right before it completely dies on you, it is very hard to recharge it as it takes a few days plugged in trying to recover. The camera is also not so well in my opion. Picture quality is not so good.

I Love My BB Playbook

from Laurel, MS

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

I love my BlackBerry Playbook. It's small enough to carry anywhere, easy to use, and inexpensive. You can purchase a lot of accessories, that make using the playbook more fun & versatile. Everyone uses it & loves it; from 4 year old nephew to my 61 year old mother. The picture quality is great, all of the controls are easy to access, and it's just all around fun to use.

Battery Life
Like any other electronic device, the battery life depends on what you're doing. My battery has lasted 4.5 hours before on less than a full charge ( about 70%) with my nephew using it to play games.

Processing Speed
The playbook processes rather quickly compared to other tablets that I've used.

Weight
It is light weight and easy to carry anywhere and everywhere. It easily fits in my purse & sometimes I forget Its there because it doesn't make a big difference weight wise!

App Availability
There are a lot of apps to choose from. Most of the popular apps & games Apple & Android use are also available on BB. There are apps for school & merchandise that aren't available yet, but I'm sure they're coming!

I feel that the design of the play book is just right. Everything fits and flows nicely together.

Before I bought a case for my play book, my nephew had dropped it many times. It had dents in it where he was dropping it so much. I'm not sure if it still works because I'm so lucky or because it's a durable product, but I like to think it's a little bit of both.

• App Availability:

Fumbled launch, nice recovery with OS upgrade

from Navarre, FL

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

The tablet was missing the most important, in my opinion, function of an internet device at launch, an email client. This was rectified later but the Playbook still suffers from poor support from App developers.

Processing Speed
It was sluggish with the original OS version but after the major upgrade the Playbook was much snappier.

Build quality is excellent, the Playbook is extremely sturdy.

• App Availability:

Great business tablet with support for android apps

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

Have the 64GB model and have been using it for about a year and half. The form factor is small enough that it is large enough to use and I can hold it in one hand. The screen is amazing. The color quality and clarity is excellent. As I have a BlackBerry phone, the bridge feature is awesome. With the bridge I can be viewing a web page on the phone and launch the page onto the tablet.

• App Availability:

Great tablet for the price

from Des Plaines, IL

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

I have been using my blackberry 32gb tablet for about six months now. I can not imagine how I ever got along without it. I use it everyday. The playbook has fantastic battery life. I can easily go two to three days on a full charge. The screen size is great - big enough to function easily but small enough to fit every where. Of course it features the blackberry operating system....very user friendly.

Fantastic!!! Exceeds expectations

Very good for a tablet

Weight
Light enough to carry in a purse

App Availability
There are not as many as ipad but more than any reasonable adult could ever need

It's well built and hay survived a fall unscathed

BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK IS AMAZING

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

The Playbook multitasks beautifully, is very fast, great screen, takes great pictures and videos. Does not have a flash so take pic with decent light.
No buttons to push all swipe moves - so very intuitive!
Like it so much I bought 2 so I always had one to use when other was on charging pod!

Loving it!!!!

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

This is one piece you might want to own.

Battery Life
Very good battery life. I charge it once a day, and it lasts all day long.

Processing Speed
The Tablet took too long to initially start up, but now has no issues at all.

Weight
Could have been a bit lighter. Be careful when your little one's want to get their hands on this.

App Availability
Cannot write much about this area, because I am yet to explore most of them.

Good product for price

Comments about BlackBerry Playbook Tablet:

The playbook is an inexpensive tablet that comes from an established company. For all that it does, it's a great deal. Even though it does not have the apps the iPad does and the design is rather derivative, the function of this tablet is great. I had to go through some hassle to sideload apps but it was relatively easy to do. I wish there were more movie files it could play too. Still, with some adjusting, going online and reading books is perfect on this. I would avoid turning this thing on/off if you can avoid it--it takes quite a while for it to load even though the process looks pretty. It also smudges easily, as most tablets do.

Battery Life
Keeping it on all day to avoid turning it on/off can drain the battery (maybe due to wifi?) but actual usage is good.

Processing Speed
The apps sometimes take a while to load and turning on the thing takes a long time.

Small and very portable.

App Availability
Lacks a lot of good pdf readers/editors, ebook readers, etc. The whole sideloading thing was a burden.

The UI is decent. The actual tablet is nice to look at, though smudges easily.

Hasn't had a problem with it yet.