Other Smartphones:

BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone

Pros

Cons

Business-Class Handheld, But Dumb Name

***Bottom-Line***: The **Tour** satisfies its main objective; that is email, contacts, and calendar access and in this BlackBerry devices have always excelled.

I...Read complete review

I am the BlackBerry Administrator for my company so I get the chance to try our all of the new BlackBerry handheld devices before we approve them for company-wide use.  The latest at bat, the **BlackBerry Tour 9630**.

**The 411**

The **BlackBerry Tour 9630 **is a multi-frequency broadband (3G) handset that offers anytime/anywhere access to corporate (and personal) e-mail, contacts, calendar information, a Web browser, broadband, and a full touch-screen QWERTY keyboard.  And oh, yes, it makes calls as well.

In addition to the above mentioned feature-set the black **BlackBerry Tour 9630 **offers a beautiful high resolution color 480x360 pixel 2.4" TFT light-sensing LCD screen; Bluetooth wireless technology and polyphonic ring-tones, all bundled in a sleek, lightweight, and stylish handset.  Other features of the unit include a 3.2MP digital camera, built-in GPS, a media player, a calendar, contact list, a memo pad, an alarm clock, a calculator and a plethora of other useful applications; pretty standard fair for today's technology rich smart-phones.

The **Tour**, which ships with 256MB of flash memory, 256GB of on-board RAM, and a 2GB microSD memory card,** **takes full advantage of *Verizon's* *Wireless' 3G *high-speed data network.  And the** **(Quad-Band)** Tour **is capable of taking full advantage of a broad spectrum of cellular networks across North America (850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE), as well as Dual-Band (800/1900MHz) CDMA/Ev-DO.

The **BlackBerry Tour 9630 **excels at its chief functional queue: that is delivering business-class messaging functionality to the palm of my hand anywhere, anytime.  My **Tour** is connected to our corporate network via a *BlackBerry Enterprise* server and the Verizon Network.  Emails are delivered in a timely manner-in some cases even before they hit my *Outlook* inbox, and synchronization between the device and my calendar is seamless.  And with the newest version of RIM's *BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange *I can even lookup employees in the Exchange Global Address List! Sweet!  Can an iPhone do that?

**Storm vs. Tour     **

The chief difference between the** Tour **and the** ***Storm* is of course the latter's touch screen functionality and larger screen.  The **Storm** was design so that the screen can be viewed horizontally or vertically, depending on how you turn the device.  The switch in orientation should take place rather seamlessly; it doesn't most of the time.  There is notable delay in the hand-off between the two orientations and sometimes the **Storm** gets confused and goes right when you want it go left, so to speak.

The **Tour** is much more like a conventional BlackBerry device, but I carries over a lot of the *Storm's* functionality including Document's-to-Go, and applications like *Facebook* and *Verizon Wireless' VZ Navigation*.

The **Tour** is about 1/3 smaller than the *Storm* and that could make typing on the QWERTY keyboard problematic for those with rather large fingers.

**My Viewpoint**

All-n-all I am very satisfied with the performance of the **BlackBerry Tour 9630.  **Out of all the BlackBerry devices I have used over the last three years I like the **Tour **second only to the** ***Storm*.  And the **Tour**, like the *Storm* far and away outperforms comparably priced Windows Mobile devices like my *Moto Q* and *Palm 700w*.

The **Tour** **9630** is stylish, small, lightweight, offers outstanding battery life, superior business-class functionality, touch-screen ease, a laudable 3.2MP digital camera with flash, a 2GB microSD, and a class-leading TFT display.  The **Tour** satisfies its main objective; that is email, contacts, and calendar access and in this BlackBerry devices have always excelled.

Will never buy another blackberry

I used to love Blackberries. My first was a curve and I was very upset when it finally met it's final death when my daughter gave it a bath. Not long after that I replaced it with the Blackberry Tour. Assuming that Blackberries could only get better, not worse. I haven't been impressed with the Tour since about a month after I got it. It did not take long for my phone to start to lag and when I say lag, it makes you think it froze up and then boom, its working again after about a minute. I've never been big on having applications on my phone. I have one and one only. When I went to delete it, it was the most complicated process. After about two months of having the phone, my trackball began to get stuck. Usually being a little rough with it will get it back to moving but sometimes I have to take it apart to get it to work again. Rebooting time is rather slow. And I find service rather slow as well compared to my husband's phone (we have the same cell company, so I know it is a phone difference not cell service difference).

Besides my complaints, I have a few things I do like. I like the size and the qwerty keyboard. I like the ability to press on the top to lock my phone. I also like the capabilities with the address book and how the incoming/outgoing sms and mms boxes have many different options for viewing.

Strong Phone!

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

This phone is the strongest and only Blackberry Phone I have ever used in my life. It was the first blackberry phone I bought and it has been in my possession for over 2 years now. It is not one of the new and sleek blackberry phones but it is strong, nice and does not develop plenty faults. Infact, the only problem I have had with this phone is the trackball which I have changed a couple of times but apart from that, it is durable. It is not the best phone to consider if you are a gamer or someone who likes to take quality photographs.

Battery Life
The battery it came with lasted for a year before it got weak and I had to change.

Display/Screen Quality
The screen is ok, but not the best,

Call Quality
Excellent quality. You are able to hear your caller clearly and loud. Adjustable call volume too.

It is easy to use. There are no relevant difficulties in learning to use the phone.

This phone is durable. I cannot count how many times it has fallen off my hand and it is still working fine.

Nice design. Not sleek or that trendy.

• Call Quality:

Only good thing is the keyboard

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

Blackberry used to be the standard for mobile messaging because of it's useful keyboard. However, software and hardware glitches make this phone nearly impossible to use for any extended period of time. Also lacks apps and functionality. I also think that Blackberry is pretty much about to stop making phones and everything, so buying this phone now means you won't get any support in the future. Without future updates, this phone will become useless is under a year.

No touch screen, so the touchpad has to be used, but that is so glitchy and it sometimes locks and keeps scrolling and you have to reboot the phone.

Constantly needs a reset if you bump it too hard. The paint seems to come off easily.

With no touch screen, it takes far too long to navigate around pages, find apps, scroll or do anything else.

I actually wish that this phone worked better, because the reception is not bad and also the design is quite good. It fits in the hand well and has a full keyboard which makes typing MUCH faster than on a touch screen phone.

Love the Tour!

from Columbus, GA

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

I recently upgraded to the Blackberry Tour on the Verizon Wireless network. I previously had the Curve, which at the time I thought was the greatest Blackberry available to a consumer that wasn't necessarily a business professional but wanted the capabilities it provided. That was until I got my hands on the Tour. I immediately noticed the greater speed and ability to handle tasks on the Tour that the Curve did...but not as well. I also loved the much better camera available on the Tour that allowed me to capture pictures that were capable of being printed in 8x10 size without blurring! The internet experience with the Tour is also much smoother and quicker...which isn't important to me since I don't rely on my phone for full internet abilities...but was a pleasant surprise. There is  little to no delay in pressing the enter button and arriving at the website you choose. I also noticed a better experience with some of the social networking sites I frequent over that of the Curve.

As for actual phone call quality, so far I have had a great experience with the exception of occassional issues that I can not absolutely attribute to the Tour or my service (it is possible that the other caller is the one with the issue). I have had no trouble with dropped calls and have had usual signal strength that I expect based on my service provider. I have had great success with battery life considering that I spend at least 4 hrs min on the phone with my fiance every night and still have at least a quarter of battery life left (this is considering the fact that I only charge the phone after completing calls with him and am able to use the phone all day for calls and data use prior to the next call session without recharging). For those that have uses like bluetooth on constantly this may not be as easy to achieve.

Overall, the Tour is an amazing phone.

Battery Life
Battery life is very good compared to newer smartphones (suach as Android devices and iPhone).

It is an ok phone

from Holiday, FL

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

I would think twice about getting this phone if I were you. The first time I received my Blackberry RIM Tour 9630 Smartphone Cell Phone I had to send it back after only having it for three or four months. For some reason the roller ball just stopped working. Just out of the blue. I have had my new one for over a year now and the roller ball on this phone still acts up from time to time. Not only that bu,t the phone will no longer read my media card. It keeps getting a fatal error message on the screen. Also, it freezes up a lot and I always have to restart it which takes forever. Plus, you cant use regular headphones with it. You have to use the blackberry headphones ones that it came with. Also, I have my own ringtones but everytime I get a update they erase. I honestly don't think that I would get this phone again if i buy a smart phone again. I think maybe I will try a different blackberry. I would definitly get another smartphone though.

Call Quality
Great sound

• Call Quality:

Durable like a brick. Blackberry tour

from Cerritos, CA

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

I have the blackberry tour right now. I bought it almost a year and a half ago? Not exactly sure. But who cares about that. Right now, there are a bunch of new phones that are coming out. Most of these phones have touch screens that are the size of my palm and its getting ridiculous. How are these things supposed to be portable cellphones???

When looking at the blackberry tour, you get a nice compact phone that functions exactly as it is suppsoed to. Its a phone that has quick email messaging while being durable as hell. I probably dropped the phone atleast twenty times and when i was angry, I threw it on the wall and the only thing that broke was the battery cover. The internet is slow as hell, but its just a phone. You can argue all day that its not a great smartphone but for recieving emails nad making calls, its pretty damn good at it.

Greatest Phone I've Ever Owned!

from Stoneham, MA

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

I admit it, I used to shake my head in disdain every time I saw someone with a Blackberry but when it was time to renew my contract, I decided to switch phones as well. After much research I was torn between the Samsung Omnia and the BlackBerry Tour mainly because both offered email capabilities which was my #1 priority in choosing a phone. Ultimately I chose the Tour with some hesitation (much back and forth and a visit to my local Verizon store to see both phones in person) but once I had it in my hands, I have not looked back!

The Tour is easy to use--right out of the box, it comes with a variety of applications (some of which I have not explored yet), and a full kwerty keyboard, which my previous phone lacked. My only complaint would be that the camera had better capabilities, but this was not a deal breaker. I love the Tour!

The best phone ever!

from Cape Coral, FL

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

The Blackberry - RIM Tour 9630 Smartphone is the best phone out there! It is great for anything. Wheather you are a student or a kid or a proffessional buissness man or woman. It does everything in the whole wide world you could ask a phone could do. It can text, call, surf the web, ect. It is a great phone to have. Battery life is good, call reception is great, and Blackberry is one of the best brands of phones on the market. It has a great camera. This cell phone is just outstanding. Nobody could ask for a better phone! It just does everything. You need to look up something? look it up on your Blackberry. You need to get a hold of someone? text or call them, with ease. This phone makes organization much easier for any buissness. It is just an amazing phone and anyone is a fool if they do not but it! It should be on the top of every single persons Christmas list! Everyone with this phone will be satisfied.

Great for staying connected

from Vacaville, CA

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

I purchased two blackberry tours for my husband and I because I wanted something with an international card and calling capabilities. He travels for work and is often out of the country. I was looking for something that would keep us connected. I have been pretty happy with the tours. We can stay connected if there is some reason we need to get ahold of one another, but the calling rates are pretty high depending on the country that he is in. We usually resort to skype on the computer because that is less expensive, but it is nice to know that we do have the ability to contact one another. I also like the durability of my blackberry. I have a 14 month old son and he throws it down on tile, cement, pretty much anything and I have never had a problem with the screen cracking. There are teeth marks along the outer edge even and it still works great! I have seen several friends who've dropped their iphones and the screen shatters, this is much more durable and seems to last through just about anything! I would recommend this to anyone with kids that doesn't want to be replacing their phones weekly!

BlackBerry Tour is Smartest Phone

from West Bloomfield, MI

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

The Blackberry Tour 9630 is the greatest phone I have ever owner.  The apps that are able to be downloaded on it are great, as well as the service that is provided from Verizon Wireless to me.  I have had many Blackberry's but this is definitely the best one.  The camera is the best camera I have seen on any phone except for the Iphone.  Perhaps, the best thing about the phone is E-mail.  It is quicker than most smart phones emails and they never freeze my phone like some other phones are frozen by emails.  The battery life is surprisingly excellent.  If I refrain from too many games or internet usage, then I can easily make it through a day without a problem.  The keyboard is much easier to use than other Blackberry keyboards, such as the Curve's keyboard.  The only problem with the phone is that it occasionally freezes, when I use it excessively.  Other than that, it would be harder to find something you don't like about the phone, than something you do like.  This phone is excellent and I recommend it to all.

all i need in one

from Nanuet, NY

Comments about BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone:

This is a really good phone that i bought for myself to use. It has a wonderful keyboard that makes it easy for me to type and text. The phone is nice because i am able to download many different types of ringtones on it. The phone is also pretty thin and easy to put into my pocket. the small size of the phone makes it easier to travel with too. The track ball on the phone works great as a mouse because i can access my web pages easily and click on what i want. The service of this blackberry is pretty good and i hardly miss any calls. The apps that i can download for the phone are plentiful and they are also unique and fun to use. I like to use this organizer as a schedular so that i can manage the takse that i have to do each day. The camera on the phone works pretty well and i also like taking videos using the Blackberry. The phone is very easy to use and it is also strong and won't break when it is dropped, which i have done a few times.