4.1
Black & Decker
Models:
TROS1500, TROS1500B, TROS1500
Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven

Summary

Mountable under the cabinet 4 slices of bread or 9" pizza capacity Dial controls Toast and bake function 30 minute timer Power indicator light Drop down crumb tray Comes with mounting hardware White

Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven

4.1

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

Black & Decker 1500W Toaster Oven is a solid performer!

We have a tendency to buy products, leave them in the box, and come back to them in a year or so.  It's not intentional, we are just very busy.  I had forgotten about the toaster and found it while cleaning out our garage.  I thought I would start using it.   I'm glad I did.

The Black & Decker 1500W Toaster Oven is a small appliance with a big bang!  It rises to temperature fast with three heat bars (one on top, two on bottom).  It comes with a tray and a metal grid stand.

First, the toasting function is via a switch on the front - Start Toast and Stop Toast.  You set the value of the heat via a Light, Medium, Dark dial.  BE WARNED.  That toaster produces some heat and it will scorch a muffin in a matter of minutes.  NEVER LEAVE IT UNATTENDED.

Even so, it will definately toast to your liking once you find the right setting.  As with any oven type product, there is a learning curve as to where the optimum setting are for your preference.

I've had very good success in toasting muffins, and even using the toast feature to warm up McDonald pancakes and a cheesburger.  Again, be careful because the toast function is timed and it will scorch anything.  I use the Low setting for just about everything I toast, and adjust as needed for bigger items.

Second, the oven dial has temperatures from 200 F to 500 F including a broil function which turned out to be useful for hot dogs!

Those McD pancakes I talked about earlier were warmed up using the oven feature as well (of course not at the same time!).  I set it on 300 F and let it warm up for 10 minutes.  It was nice, crispy, and delicious!

Finally, the oven cleans up well.  I used the tray for the hot dogs and you can use tin foil to cover it so clean up is easy.  It has a removable bottom tray to clean out the crumbs from toasting.

The nice thing about toasting is the toast remains horizontal, not vertical in a traditional toaster.  I feel there is less mess with toasting horizontally.

First purchase of this product didn't perform.

I purchased a Black & Decker Spacesaver Toaster Oven almost a year ago to replace one that had stopped working. Initially the new toaster worked well, although the new design took some getting used to. You have to set a timer to toast, there's not an on/off mechanism. You have to use that same switch for baking as well. I finally got accustomed to that when the switch cracked and became difficult to use, presumably from the heat. This oven does get much hotter than the previous model. I managed to use it with the cracked switch for a while and then the switch refused to stay in an "on" position. You'd turn the timer and it would immediately go back to zero like it was spring loaded. I called Black & Decker and asked about a replacement oven and they said it was likely just the switch and I needed a new one, but those were on back order for 6 weeks. After 3 more weeks of having to hold the switch in an on position, the switch started sticking and even when turned off, the oven remained on - a very dangerous malfunction. I called Black & Decker again to report the new problem, being sure to use the word "fire hazard" and this time they offered to send me a new oven if I would send them the plug from the electric cord of my current one. I sent the plug about 2 months ago and am still waiting for the replacement. I called a week ago and they said they were on back order (like the new switch, which actually showed up a week ago) for at least another 3 weeks. So, in the meantime, I am using my oven broiler for toasting. I still like the spacesaver aspect, but we'll have to wait and see if the replacement product does any better than the first one.

Black and Decker Toaster Oven

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

I love my Black & Decker toaster oven. I have had mine for about five years now and it is still working great like the first day I used it. It heats the food evenly so as you don't have one bite and it's hot then another it's cold. This model can be mounted under cabinets or can set it on counter. It doesn't take up too much space. You can toast, bake and even broil with this toaster oven. It comes with directions but you really don't need them it's so easy to use. There are three knobs (temperature selector, cooking function selector, and a toaster/timer selector which has a stay on setting). It comes with a bake pan/drip tray. It also has a slide-out crumb tray. It is so easy to clean. I just take out the crumb tray and shake the crumbs in the trash then slide it back into place. It also has a slide rack/broil rack that is easy to take out if you need to wipe it clean. The door is glass so you can see as your food is cooking. The toaster oven isn't very heavy so you can move it around with ease. I would recommend this toaster oven.

Convenient little toaster

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

The Black & Decker TROS1500 Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven is a great convenient little toaster for you to use when you don't want to turn on the oven. It's small so it will definitely fit on your kitchen counter or on top of your microwave. I use it weekly to toast bread or heat up fried foods or foods that I want to be crispy and don't want to microwave. It has lasted many years now without a problem. It might be a little weaker because I usually have to turn up the toast function to dark, but sometimes it will burn the tops of my food if it's too close to the coils. Other than that it works fine as a toaster. There is a ticking sound when you are toasting, so if you are sensitive to that, I would avoid this one, but it personally has not bothered me. Cleaning can be a pain if you let it build up, but I cover the pan with foil and even the inside of the bottom of the toaster to help with collecting crumbs and oil.

• Safety:

Wish they'd go back to the original design

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

This is the third under the counter Black and Decker toaster oven we've owned. I loved the first two which is the only reason we bought this one. They decided to completely redesign this one and what annoying is that they didn't make them backwards compatible with the under cabinet install. So, when we bought this one, we had to remove the under cabinet support from the other two and re-install the new under cabinet support. And what's worse is that it didn't come with all the pieces needed to install it so we had to go out and buy new screws an bolts in order to install it. We were just not very happy. And we really don't like the way this one works. It's setup more like a toaster than an over with a 30 minute timer which is the only way you can turn it on. So, if you have something that needs to be cooker for 45 minutes, you are out of luck -- it will turn off when the timer runs out. Very annoying. I had absolutely loved the previous version of this but am really not liking this one. We only bought it because we really like the under the cabinet setup. It works ok but it just isn't the same as the previous versions. Now I suppose if I were to compare it with the competition it might be comparable....I don't know I haven't used many of the other ones out there for more than a time or two as a guess at someone else's house. I do some that some are setup the same ...with the dumb timer (I imagine it's for safety but there MUST be another way).

Perfect for tight space

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

The design is awesome as its the right size to make what you need and the space maker feature allows it to tuck under a cabinet easily out if your way. Use it at least once a day instead of turning on the oven. Easy to keep clean, looks nice.

We are on our second one because the door hinge broke on the first one, but we did have it for 3 years.

• Safety:

easy to use and does a great job

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

my son is autistic and scared to use the oven. I got this toaster oven for him to use. He loves it!!! I was afraid that it would get really hot, but to my surprise it does not. My son now uses it almost everyday to fix himself a snack or a small meal. It is so easy for him to use. He turns it on and it warms up really quick! I would recomend this product to anyone...small kids, single people, etc. I am even going to get my parents one for christmas this year. It is a great buy for the price!!!

• Safety:

Might be a decent small oven but NOT for toast!

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

Dont do it!! This "new and improved" version toast VERY unevenly. A timer for the OVEN is brilliant.... for the Oven, not so much for the toaster. Since you have to set it each EACH TIME, it's different EACH TIME. I could've bought a GOOD toaster for all the bread I've thrown away!

Even Heating
Toasts Unevenly

Safety
No issues

Only have had a couple of years, I'll let you know in 10 more.

timer for toast bad idea

• Safety:

Toaster oven is very handy!!

from SmallTown, TX

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

This is the second toaster oven we have had spanning many years. This one is a spacemaker and I absolutely love it. Because it is bolted under a cabinet, it doesn't take up room on the counter, which is a definite plus. It is easy to clean, the bottom pops open and all the crumbs can be cleaned away quickly. This toaster oven does more than toast. It will bake small items as well, such as two pot pies, biscuits or single pizzas. It has a temperature regulator but I do find it isn't as accurate as I would like. I tend to watch what is cooking so that it doesn't get too brown on top before the under side of the food is done. The toaster portion of the unit is fairly accurate. It will brown toast, bagels, pop-tarts and generally most things that would be placed in a regular oven. The unit came with its own pans. Black and Decker has been a very good, trustworthy brand. It was relatively inexpensive. I highly recommend this appliance.

I use it every day

from Mount Vernon, OH

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

I use this toaster oven every day. I have made smaller frozen pizzas in it with no problem. Chicken nuggets and french fries are a snap on some foil. When I want some garlic bread and my husband doesn't, i just pop some in the toaster oven and save electricity rather than heating up the oven on my stove.

Still using my Black & Decker Spacesaver Toaster Oven!

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Traditional Toaster Oven:

I don't even remember what model my Black & Decker Spacesaver Toaster Oven is, but I've been using it for 20+ years now. :)

Back when I first bought mine, toaster ovens were fairly new.  They were pricey because of that, and there weren't many makes and models to choose from.  Then Black & Decker popped up with the spacesaver model, and not having a lot of countertop space, this was just what I needed.  And I've not been disappointed in mine.

First, spacesaver **anything** does still take up countertop space to some extent because these items hang down from under the cabinet, limiting what you can use that countertop area for.  And especially because these toaster ovens heat up, you have to be careful about what you put/store under it.

Other than that, I've been pleased with my toaster oven.  It's easy to clean, partially because it is up off the counter (just swing the crumb catcher door on the bottom open), and it serves as a toaster and a small oven. It's nice to heat some things up in the small oven rather than the larger oven, and especially those foods you don't want to microwave (to get them brown and crispy, for example).

Awhile back, there were recalls and concerns about toaster ovens catching on fire.  I've not had a problem with mine, but for safety I always leave mine unplugged when not in use.

First purchase of this product didn't perform.

from San Antonio, TX