Other Electric Can Openers:

Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener

Pros

Cons

Space Saver

I have never ever felt so pleased with a can opener until I decided to go out and buy this one. I have gone through plenty of hand helds and other electric can openers, I have never been so happy with one until I bought this one. This can opener was very easy to mount onto the cabinets. I have never come across something that I have loved so much. I know with the name of Black and Decker that this should last me a long time. I just wish that I could have found it in white since most of my kitchen is in white. I will deal with the black one as long as it is good to me. I really recommend this to anyone that doesn't have a lot of counter space in their kitchen. This takes up no space on the counter so you have no worries. You do need to worry about hitting it when you are moving stuff around because I have came close to breaking mine off of the cabinets when I am moving things around.

Not a necessary item

I received the Black & Decker spacemaker can opener as a gift for the holidays one year.  I just think that this is a space eater instead of a space saver.  And besides, who wants small electric appliances hanging from their cabinets these days?  Not me for sure.

I cannot imagine needed a can opener to be electric could really be a product that is in great demand.  The crank can openers that easily fit into the cutlery drawer work just as quick and easy as can be.

I can only assume that this product is marketed for people who have problems with manual dexterity in some way, like those with arthritis perhaps.

But I would never rely solely on this product even for people that have difficulty with the manual type can opener.  How would they expect to open a can if there was a power failure in the home?  I suggest keeping a manual can opener somewhere in the vacinity of the canned goods just in case.

frustrating as can be

from Warren, MI

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

When my old can opener broke down I went shopping for a new. As I was shopping I ran into this under the cupboard mounted space saving one and told myself that this could really save me some space on the counter and its GE so it has to be decent. I got home and mounted it under my cupboard near the sink and found it was really quick and easy to mount. It was also small enough that my knife rack fit under it perfectly allowing me to pull the blades out easy without interfering with the can opener and without dripping contents of the can onto the rack. But when I went to open the can I had issues getting the thing to attach to the can to open it. It kept releasing the can and I couldn't get it opened. For a while I was using a hand opener to open cans while trying to figure this thing out. I eventually figured it out and now I don't have much trouble with it. Occasionally it still releases a can but very rarely and usually its with larger cans,.

It works ok once you figure out the technique

seems good to me but it hasn't gone through much here

again I like the size and ease of installation but it needs work on opening cans

Great space and time saving can opener!!

from Springbrook, WI

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

I recently purchased this can opener in white to replace the Black & Decker Spacemaker Can opener that I had for 20+ years. I hope this one lasts as long! This can opener is great because besides saving counter space, it also allows you to multi-task. I am always multi-tasking and with this you can put your can in, start it up and while it is opening, you have both hands free to do whatever you want! Would recommend to anyone!

Easy open

from Eugene, OR

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

I really like my can opener! I hate opening cans with the dumb little handheld doohickies and I love how easy THIS makes it for me. It's nice that it fits right under my cabinet, too, and really is a "space-saver" for me. I wish that it were slightly easier to clean, but that's really not a big deal since it does such a good job. I've had mine for several years and it's been both functional and durable and I would definitely recommend it.

Space Saver

from Whittier, CA

Easy to use

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

This is a great can opener.   It mounts easily under the cabinet.  It is inexpensive but very reliable.  Never any problem opening any can.  I love this product.  A great value.  My kitchen wouldn't be the same without it.  I use to over and over and it never fails.  GREAT

This can opener is not for me!!

from SmallTown, TX

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

I had envisioned using Black and Decker Spacemaker appliances to save room on the counters. It worked for the toaster oven. I love the fact that it is up off the cabinet and easy to clean and bake things. The can opener is a different story entirely. We don't even use it anymore. About the only thing I can think of that it was good for was making a hole in a perfectly good cabinet. The can opener works ok, but when you go to release the can from the blade, the contents of the can are jarred and it just makes a mess by splashing everywhere. Black and Decker makes wonderful products. This one just falls short for me though there may be other people out there that are in love with this product. When we remodel the kitchen, this can opener will go away. Until then, it looks pretty hanging from the cabinet, but it is useless as far as I am concerned. Based on my experiences with this opener, I cannot recommend it.

Life saver Black and Decker Space Saver Can Opener

from Saint Simons Island, GA

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

I have had many a handheld can opener in my time. And, they have all left me wanting more. I end up ripping the paper sleeve on the can with the can opener, and going over it over and over again just to get the little bits that never cut open. Then, I'm a danger to myself trying to get that ragged lid off. Boy do I love my Black and Decker can opener. We don't have a lot of counter space, so we really had to have one that went under the cabinets. I was concerend at first it would be difficult to fully get a big can open, but it's not. It opens it up easy as pie. I learned how much I needed my can opener when the hubby removed it (temporarily) to refinish our cabinets. Boy did I miss it. I can't go back. It's easy to use, opens small and large cans alike, and you don't have to monkey around with it to get it to work!

Greatest Can Opener!!

from Fergus Falls, MN

**Black & Decker Space Maker Can Opener**

**I recieved this can opener in December of 1989 form my father for Christmas. Only thing is my father ended up passing away before he gave it to me, December 23rd to be exact.**

**It has been the greatest can opener ever! I can't believe it is still working after 21 years it's still going strong!**

**It holds the cans while they are being opened so you can do other things at the same time. It takes up very little space unlike counter electric can openers. Cleaning is fairly easy the knife that actually opens the can pops out and you can soak it in water and soap. I use a toothbrush to clean the rest of the opener.**

**There is no need to use those terrible hand cranking openers anymore! You will not be sorry on your purchase of this can opener.**

LOVE this can opener!

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

I absolutely love this can opener! I use it all the time. I actually received this as a wedding gift 7 years ago, and it is still working great. The blade is still sharp and always opens my cans perfectly. I hate using the little handheld can openers. They always break or are super hard to use. I love how it fits right up under the cabinet and doesn't take up counter space or drawer space. I had some friends over a few weeks ago, and they actually commented on how they liked my can opener and were impressed that I could work it one handed while holding my baby. If this ever does break I will definitely buy another one. I literally use it at least 5 times a week, if not daily. If you open a lot of cans this is a must have for your kitchen.

Black and Decker Spacemaker Can Opener

from Moscow, ID

Comments about Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener:

This is a great can opener that I wanted to replace my handheld's with.  Got tired of them breaking.  Easy to mount even under my cabinets and fits nicely out of the way.  The knife sharpener is easy to use and a nice adition for a quick sharpening.  The bag opener is handy since everything these days comes in a bag that you just can't open by hand any more and safer then a knife.  Not sure the reason behind the closing front except for looks and it is a little bit tough to close.  The can opener itself works great but every now and then it is stubborn when it comes to locking in the can and getting started.  It does hold cans very well though even after they are open making them easy to grasp.  Works fast and well.