4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

Who spilled the Coffee?

My husband brought home this coffee pot and it has been pretty good.  The coffee is easy to make, the system does not keep off because the lid is not closed (problem with our last pot) and it makes a good cup of coffee.

The only real problem we have with the pot is that we spill coffee every single time we try to pour a cup.  Now I am not a morning person so you could blame it on sleep deprivation, but I have tried and tried to pour me a cup of coffee from the carafe without spilling it and I fail every morning.  Not to mention I have to wipe up a little coffee puddle present left behind from my husbands morning rush so I know he is having the same issue.  Although I’m not sure he is working so hard at not being messy as I am.  I read another review on this pot and that person specifically says the carafe never spills.  So either it is a problem with the pot or I need to go back and read the pouring instructions!?!

I also have another concern about this coffee maker.  I am not sure why the coffee maker manufactures don’t move the controls up higher so water doesn't spill into the controls. I have had a prior maker where coffee spilled into the controls and the display became impossible to read.  Eventually it stopped working all together so I think I shorted out the switch.  Why would they put the switch below the coffee pot?  It just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Not the best and not the worst

The Black & Decker DCM2500 coffee maker is about average as 12-cup programmable coffee makers go. It is among the cheapest available for the features it offers, but works just a little better than the competing brand one I replaced with it. The programming display is easy to read, the numbers show up well even in daylight, and setting it is simple enough to figure out. I like the sneak-a-cup feature, I always look for that when I shop for a coffeemaker, and make use of it often when I am in a hurry and want to get a cupful before the brewing cycle has finished. This sneak-a-cup latch does not work as well as on other models and I usually get a few drips from it. The carafe is a comfortable shape, easy to hold and pour, even when full. The spout doesn't spill the coffee all over the place like others sometimes do. The heat plate keeps the coffee satisfactorily hot; almost too hot if you leave the coffee in too long it will steam off and get stronger. Now, the things I don't like about this model: The brewer has only one water window, on the right side. I pour water in from the right side and it is just akwardly positioned so it's hard for me to see the filling progress. The lid is of poor design- although it stays securely down while brewing, whenever I do lift the lid (to add water or coffee, or remove grounds) any water condensed under the lid drips down onto the back of the machine, on the outside. I have to be wary of that and make sure it doesn't make a mess. When I first got the machine, it brewed quieter than others, but now the sounds it makes are an average choke and whoosh loudness. This Black & Decker coffee maker is a very good option for it's price, so I will continue to use it until it dies.

My main negatives are with the drippy sneak-a-cup, the poor placement of the water gauge, and the lid that can drip water onto the outside of the machine.

great simple coffee maker for the price

from Ridge Spring, SC

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

If you want lots of bells and whistles in your coffee maker, then this isn't for you. But if you are looking for a great, basic, daily use coffee maker this is a terrific value. I have owned my Black and Decker Smart Brew Plus 12-cup Coffee Maker for almost 5 years and have had very complaints. I use it daily, and love the timer. It is easy to set and program, and has always been brewing exactly when it was scheduled. The carafe seems to be sturdier than some, and I have never had to replace it. I did add a reusable filter so that I didn't have to buy paper filters, and it has worked really well. The only two concerns I have are that the coating on the heating plate is wearing off, and the lid to the pot is so stained and I can't seem to find any cleaner that works on it. I think it would be typical for the heating plate coating to wear off of any coffee maker by this age, but it does concern me that little flecks of the coating get stuck to the bottom of the pot. I worry that they may be falling into a cup of coffee when I am pouring As for cleaning the lid, I have tried every type of cleaner I can find and nothing will remove the coffee stains. If it wasn't for these two things the maker would still look and perform like a brand new one would. Despite these two concerns, I would definitely buy this coffee maker again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Brew Performance:

Simple and easy, just the way I like it

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I have owned a Kuerig coffee maker and recently purchased this coffee maker because I wanted to be able to make more than a cup of coffee. This Coffee Maker is great. It has a simple design, it is easy to program, and cleans up with little effort.
This is overall a great coffee maker for those who just want to enjoy a few cups of coffee without a hassle.

This is a basic coffee maker. It does not have any fancy bells or whistles, but it gets the job done. It brews coffee within five minutes and the warming plate stays warm for one hour from the time of brew. It can be turned off and turned back on to keep the warmer on for longer if needed.

I did not need directions to program it and set it to brew at a certain time. It was easy to figure out on my own which is something I like in a product. It is extremely frustrating when you have to do several functions before something is set. This product is not like that at all. Within fifteen seconds you can have it set to start brewing at a desired time.

It is very easy to clean. It comes a part easily and goes back together easily. I run vinegar through mine once a month just to make sure it will continue to work properly. I have never had any issues with this.

Great little coffee pot.

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

Never had any problems out of it except if the part that holds the filter is off it will over flow and go every where but I consider that more user error than product error. Makes a great pot of coffee in a fairly short amount of time. I have had this coffee pot for years and never had any issues. It is easy to set up and use. Love being able to set it up to be ready in the morning.

Brew Performance
This pot makes great tasting coffee. It doesn't take long to brew at all.

Not very easy to clean down inside the coffee maker itself but it isn't to difficult. The pot itself is very easy to clean. I like to let it soak with some bleach after a few uses and then scrub it.

This coffee maker is very easy to use and set up.

I have had this coffee pot for years and it still works great. I have never had any problems out of it. Hope to have it for many more and if something does happen to it I will buy another just like it and feel I got my moneys worth out of the one I had.

• Brew Performance:

Black and Decker coffee maker makes coffee!

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I like this coffee maker. Its simple, its straightforward. There are no fancy gadgets or gizmos but it makes coffee. Decent coffee. Plus it has lasted for several years--a plus in my book! I think a simple cup of coffee can be had with a simple coffee maker-and this proves it

Brew Performance
Makes a decent cup of coffee

I get a lot of build up on the bottom (under the drip) but it does clean okay

So simple!

Your basic coffee maker. I have no complaints because it looks like a coffee maker and acts like a coffee maker

This appliance has lasted several years making at least one pot a day--much better than other brands I have bought!

Great coffee pot.

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

This is a great inexpensive coffee pot. I have had many expensive coffee pots and this one matches them in durability and use. I needed an inexpensive coffee pot for the shop and this one definitely meets my expectations. This is a simple easy to use coffee pot. It has a clock and is easy to use and clean.

Not the best and not the worst

• Brew Performance:

I like a simple, easy-to-use coffee pot.

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I love a simple coffee maker without all the bells and whistles. When I get up in the morning I want a cup of straight black coffee with a bite. You see, I'm not awake until I have the coffee so I don't want to have operate a complicated machine. This coffee pot is easy to use, easy to clean, and makes a wonderful pot of coffee in minutes. I've also found that the reusable filters work well, keeping the expense of operating this coffee maker at a much lower cost than some of the fancier machines.

Brew Performance
Excellent performance, with tasty brewed coffee in minutes.

Easily disassembled for quick clean up.

You can have coffee within minutes of taking it out of the box. Simple to use.

Nice look and compact.

Very durable and has lasted me a long time.

I love my coffee maker.

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I have friends and relatives that have all the fancy and expensive coffee makers and I wold take my Black and Decker any day. It makes wonderful tasting coffee I can set the timer and it be ready when I get up in the mornings I don"t have to worry about buying expensive coffee filters or weird cup k cups I can just make my coffee and drink it

Great coffee pot

from Kent , WA

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I love this coffee pot. i can program it and it has a clock. the coffee stays super hot the whole time the pot is on. it doesn't take long to brew. It wipes clean with a warm soapy rag and is not very bulky so it doesn't yake up much space. The price is phenomenal. The last Black and Decker coffee pot i had for 7 years. I do not see a reason to buy an expensive coffee pot when this one works as good as any of them.

Brew Performance
You do not have to wait long for the coffee to brew

Just a warm soapy rag and it wipes clean

Programming is a breeze.

Not to bulky, fits nicely on a counter top.

• Brew Performance:

Good deal for a non-coffee snob

from Laurinburg, NC

Comments about Black & Decker SmartBrew Plus12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I would never be considered a coffee-snob, so this coffee pot works well for me.  I recieved this coffee maker as a gift last year for Christmas from a niece.  We were not supposed to go over twenty bucks a piece so if she held to the terms of our gift swapping, it is a pretty good deal.  The coffee pot is all black and looks nice and even has a digital clock and a programmable feature that we have used a few times.

Occasionally I have had a problem where the drip did not activate probably because i didn't have the pot all the way on the heater pad which caused an overflow mess, but the worst complaint I have about the coffeemaker is definitely how it will spill.  It is by no means drip proof.  If you pour the least bit fast while filling up the tank or later filling up your cup, you will spill water or coffee.  I am an impatient person so I probably spill coffee every morning with this coffee pot, but I'm not going to toss it just for that.