Other Coffee Makers:

Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker

Pros

Cons

Coffee Anytime with Black & Decker Programmable Coffeemaker

If you have known me for some time, you know two things about me.  1.  I'm not a morning person.  2.  I drink several cups of coffee throughout the day and if I don't get my coffee--I'm not a happy person! Now that we have moved to Mississippi and have at least an hour drive into work each day, I not only have to get up at 5 am, but I need coffee to sip on during our drive into Louisiana for work.  We have had some unusually cold weather here for this time of the year and I am finding myself having to adjust to a lot of things at once.  This past weekend, I decided that I was giving up the beloved drip coffeepot and bought a new Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker.  Now all I have to do is get out of bed and head to the kitchen and pour my first cup of coffee.  Now that's convenience!

**Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker**

I looked at several different models of coffeemakers and compared them before making my decision to buy the Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker.  My first requirement was that the coffeemaker was programmable so that we could set it the night before for our wake up time.  The second requirement was that the coffeemaker made 12 cups of coffee.  There were several models that made a maximum of only 10 cups of coffee.  Since both my husband and I have a cup of coffee before we leave the house and both fill large coffee mugs to take with us, we needed a coffeemaker that would serve 12 cups of coffee.  Believe it or not, we usually drink 12 cups on the weekend also.  I am a total coffee addict!

The last requirement was that the coffeemaker was durable and built to last.  I didn't want a coffeemaker with a thin carafe or one with flimsy plastic parts.  The Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker seems to fit that requirement also.

**Features**

The main feature that I needed was to be able to program the coffeemaker to brew coffee for 5 am.  We are on a very tight schedule in the mornings and don't have time to waste.  I have to be at work for 7:30 am, which means we have to be on the road for 6:00 am.  It is important to have that first cup of coffee ready and waiting for me when I wake up.  This jump starts my day.

The Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker also has a "sneak a cup" feature.  This means that you can pour a cup of coffee before the pot has brewed all 12 cups.  If you remove the carafe from the burner, the coffeemaker will stop the flow of coffee going into the pot.  This feature assures you that there will be no messes to clean up or chances that you will get burned.

The filter basket is removable for easy clean up and can also be placed in the top rack of your dishwasher.   The carafe is made of glass and is best washed out by hand, but you could put it in the dishwasher if you wanted to.

**Programming the Coffeemaker**

The display on the coffeemaker has several buttons.  They are as follows:  Program, Hour, Minute, On, Off, Automatic, and Power.

**Final Word**

This is an awesome coffeemaker.  We have been using it for several weeks now and have not had any problems with it.  The coffee is always ready when we get up in the morning.  On weekends I can brew the coffee when I get up, but overall the Black & Decker Programmable 12 Cup Coffeemaker is a winner and a big hit at my house.

Replacing the Carafe is the thing!

The B&D DLX 1050W seems to be fine at making coffee.  Set the clock, decide when you want the coffee maker to start, and as long as you don't vary too much in your schedule, the machine will boil the water and send it through the grounds. The digital clock isn't real accurate, but as long as we have to reset clocks every 6 months anyway, it will do the job.

The problem started when the bottom of the pot broke and I had to chose between fix or replace.  Couldn't easily find a replacement at the (WalMart) store.  Also, the ones they sold were half the cost of the whole unit. Is the unit that inexpensive?  I bought the unit about 7 months ago.  Are they upgrading them that fast?  I have to bet that B&D is losing money by not realizing that the pots arewhat break quickest and even for a coffee maker of this level there is a need for replacements.

Sleek design with programmable performance

from Moss Point, MS

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

It's a basic coffee maker with a few bells and whistles such as program the coffee to brew later and auto-shut off. With pause & pour, what more could anyone ask for?

It brews decent coffee and keeps it at a drinkable temperature without scorching it for the full two hours.

The con is in the design, which seems to be a trend in the lower end coffeemakers in recent years to have the water reservoir and the brew basket accessed at the same time with a single lid. That is asking for trouble in my opinion, as a simple minor accident can result in spilling grounds into the reservoir where they would be difficult to remove. In addition, this particular model requires that the basket be in the exact position with the upper lid snapped into place, not merely allowed to drop shut, in order to brew without overflowing the brew basket. Save yourself some clean up headaches and put your coffee maker into a tray to contain the mess because sooner or later, somebody is going to screw up and something will not be in place.

I hate the lift the whole top and there you find the basket for the ground coffee as well as the filling area for the water reservoir. For me, this is like asking for trouble.

The filter basket HAS to be in the exact position with the top lid snapped closed or you WILL have a mess. Sooner or later, something will go wrong and you'll have a flood. I actually have mine in a tray to confine the mess from the inevitable.

It's still fairly new, but I have fairly high hopes. At this price, it should work for at least a year.

• Brew Performance:

Excellent basic programable coffee maker.

from Wright, AR

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

Excellent coffee maker. Reliable and responsive. Starts dripping within seconds of hitting start button. (I have had some that took several minutes to actually start.) Does a good job on setting timer and starting in the morning when set. Easy to clean by just running vinegar through it (I do use a filter to catch the goop just to see how clean it's getting)...although I would recommend running more than one pot of clear 'rinse' water through it unless you want the first pot of coffee to taste vinegar-infused. All in all a good pot. This is my third of this model and will buy it again.

Black and Decker 12 cup coffee maker

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

Great little coffee maker! Automatically selects the best brew temperature and brews a nice strong cup of coffee. The features I like best are the programmable brew set, I love waking up in the morning and having my coffee already done for me. It is so easy to set up too, just a few buttons and you are good to go. The basket and pot are dishwasher safe which is wonderful. I also like that it has a two hour shut off, great if you are absent minded like I am!

Brew Performance
Brews a really good cup of coffee. Comes out the right temperature every time.

You can toss in the dishwasher or hand wash, very easy to clean.

I figured this coffee maker out with no instructions so I would have to say it is very easy to use.

It is not too big so fits nicely on the counter top. It is a nice shiny black so looks pretty sitting out.

Holds up well, even washing it in the dishwasher. I clean it out as best I can every week or so which I feel makes it last longer.

It's Odd but I like it

from Rome,GA

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

I purchased this little coffee maker to replace the dead one in my shop, I need a smaller coffee unit for the shop because of such limited space. I have been happy with the performance of the coffee maker overall, but have some dislikes as well. The coffee maker works perfectly and holds the coffee warm very efficiently. My most profound dislike is the way the basket loads into the top of the coffee maker. It is awkward to remove and replace, I often drag the entire reservoir base trying to remove the basket. I have also noticed in the same area are places that tend to catch drips and stray coffee grounds, making proper cleaning nearly impossible . Basket problems aside I find the coffee maker to perform very well, I would buy another of this type of unit and would recommend them to friends, with a small warning as to what to expect. Over all I think this is a very good coffee maker, it just has a few small design flaws.

• Brew Performance:

I have a Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker.

from Muskegon, MI

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

I received my Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker as a Christmas Gift approximately 2 years ago. I've used this coffee maker a few times and it works perfectly. This brand of Coffee Maker is considered the best value from the #1 brand in kitchen appliances. It has Quicktouch programming that sets all the functions of the coffee maker in a few simple steps.The extraction of the coffee from the coffee grinds provides a great tasting coffee. This model also has a Sneak-A-Cup feature where you can grab a cup of coffee before the brewing ends. It has a 2 hr. Shutoff, if it is accidentally left on while you are away. You can see the water in it's water window. It comes with a removable filter basket that uses coffee filters. This Black & Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is relatively cheaper than other coffee makers with some of the same features. It is a coffee maker I would recommend for purchase by anyone in the market for one. When using this coffee maker, I made a pot of coffee that tasted delicious. I don't know if this was due to me being use to my old coffee pot or that it really extracts from the coffee, as mentioned in the manual.

Brew Performance
It brews a great tasting cup of coffee.

Cleans relatively easy.

Once it is programmed, it is easy to use.

I like the design and the color, black.

I've owned this coffee maker for 2+ years and hope it continue to function for another few years.

• Brew Performance:

So simple that my child now makes the morning coffee!!!

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

I like this simple little coffee maker. it gets the job done, with minimal work. You can set the timer the night before, so makes morning routine easier. you don't have to have a college degree to operate, which is nice at 6am.

Brew Performance
Brews quickly, also has that pause setting so you can sneak a cup. Love that feature! I am able to get my first cup by the time I gather a coffee cup, sugar, and creamer.

Average, I clean all mine the same with a run through of 1/2 distilled white vinegar & 1/2 water, then all water to clear out. Sponge scrub the grooves. Wipes clean easily.

Super easy. This is the first coffee pot we have owned that we allow our Eleven year old to use. He does fine every time. we never even read the instructions, it was straight from the box to use.

Simple, compact, sleek. It looks like a nice mid-range coffee maker, even though it is really on the lower end of the price spectrum.

So far so good. We make 4 pots a day. And it has held it's own for months now.

• Brew Performance:

Easy to use product, meets my needs.

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

I think that this product works just fine for me and does what I need it to do. I did have to have black n' decker replace my glass pot, because it broke while I was washing it out. The glass seemed too thin I thought. But they seem to be a good company because they replaced that piece and didn't have to as it says on the manual that glass is not covered in your warranty. But the actual coffee maker part does really good, and it's still working fine. I like the fact that you can program it to make the coffee before you ever even get up in the morning, it is just really convenient to me.

Brew Performance
It brew just fine, it doesn't take as long as my other coffee pot, but I will set it a little earlier than I wake up in the morning.

I think that it is easy to clean and wipe down, and to clean the inside I will put some vinegar water in it and run it a few times. I haven't had any issues cleaning this product, it is easy.

Very easy to use, not too many buttons, to me too many buttons can get quite confusing. But this model is very easy to use and not confusing at all.

I think that it looks great on my counter, it matching my other appliances. I didn't care that much about the design as long as it does what I need it to do.

I think the coffee maker itself is pretty durable and looks like it is made well, however the glass pot is a different story. Since I had mine break, I was able to see just how thin the glass part of it actually is.

• Brew Performance:

Easily my favorite coffee pot

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

I really love this coffee pot. I have had it for years and even though my wife does keep trying to replace it I will never let her. This coffee pot and I have been together for a very long time and I can't see that changing anytime soon. It is the perfect size to fit in my kitchen and has become a staple of my morning. The programmable feature is a dream come true because I get to wake up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee.

Brew Performance
I have never had an issue with brewing as long as the coffee pot is clean. When it starts to get dirty there is and always has been an issue with the grounds overflowing and getting into the coffee but if I stay on top of the cleaning then there is no issue.

The removable pot and other pieces make this very easy to clean. Also just dumping a little vinegar in with the water once a month does wonders too.

Simple is an understatement just put in water put in grounds and set the timer and wake up to delicious coffee.

This has a very good size and design. It blends well into the kitchen no matter what design we are going for and I have never had an issue with space.

I ave had the same coffee pot for 10 years and i brew two pots a day.

• Brew Performance:

Excellent in every way, except one (and that one is infuriating)

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

I struggled with how to rate this, as it seems to work great in every way, but the one downside it has (you'll find my comments in "ease of use") is insanely annoying.

Brew Performance
Seems to have good, solid brew performance, and it brews quickly. I love that you can remove the pot during brewing and it never drips!

Pretty straightforward to clean. The twist-top to the carafe is a bit tricky to clean by hand, but it seems to do fine in the top rack of the dishwasher.

Okay, here's the rub: One of the most important things is being able to accurately measure the coffee-to-water ratio, and this coffeemaker makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE. For whatever reason, the gage on the side that shows you the amount of water is almost invisible. I thought I was going crazy, but my mom had the same problem. In order to figure out how much water you've put in it, you have to shake it around and squint like you're half-blind, until you can see the water splash and get an idea how high it is. Even then, the coffee-to-water ratio is always iffy.

On the whole, the design is nice - again, I love that you can remove the carafe during brewing and there are no drips whatsoever. But the water-measuring issue is infuriating. You're bending your head this way and that, peering in, wiggling it around - I've owned dozens of coffeemakers and never had this problem, so I consider it a BIG design flaw.

Ours is used about every other day, so not super heavy use, but it seems to be holding up well. Though I'm a little concerned about it enduring all the shaking we have to do to measure the water!

• Brew Performance:

Awesome and affordable coffee maker.

from Austin, Tx

Comments about Black & Decker 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker:

This coffee maker is phenomenal. I absolutely love it so much. The built in option of being able to make you're coffee for you at whichever time you set it is a remarkable feature to have. That in itself is a big plus when it comes to coffee makers. It is so nice to easily program it the night before and wake in the morning to smelling fresh brewed coffee. A great and pleasant way to start the morning. The price is great for what this offers. I had bought mine a few years ago when it was on sale and am surely glad I did. It has lasted years and has held up just fine. It's functionality is as easy as 123. I would highly recommend this coffee maker for anyone wanting convenience at an affordable price.

It brews good and hot.

Cleaning this coffee maker is no different from cleaning any other brand.

It's fairly simple to use, the digital touch controls make it easy to understand but if encounter any confusion while trying to program it to automatically brew you coffee at a chosen time, then reading the manual it comes with will easily clarify.

The design is great. The pot is large enough to brew even the biggest batch amounts of coffee. Very convenient for someone who loves more than one cup of java.

The durability of this product is very well and can withstand years of being used. Mine has continued to perform nicely over the years.