Other Vacuums:

Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Without my Bissell SpotBot, my home would go to the dogs!

Let me start with a basic description of the product. The Bissell SpotBot is a portable, robotic, carpet-stain cleaner. It has a circular, rotating brush in its base, that you place over the stain you want to remove, turn on the machine, and walk away. In a few minutes, the machine beeps, and voila!, your stain is gone. In reality, it may take 2 or 3 passes for a really nasty, set-in stain, and I would recommend sucking up any excess moisture with the hand-held attachment to expedite drying. But overall, this little dude does what Bissell advertises, and that makes me happy.

I purchased my Bissell SpotBot about 6 months ago, and I use it on average, about 2-3 times per week. The 3 most common stains I clean with it, in order, are: cat vomit, spilled coffee, and cat urine. I use it on carpet, throw rugs, ceramic tile, and even the walls.

In my household's defense, we house 23 animals as part of our work with a local animal rescue and wildlife rehabilitator. We definitely push our Bissell SpotBot to perform, and perform it does!

Although there are similar products, as well as a fancier version of the Bissell SpotBot out there, I feel that this basic model is all a person really needs. The clean water tank holds just enough for a thorough cleaning of a one square foot stain. I fill mine with hot water from the tap, and thus bypass the need for an on-board heating element.

If you are thinking of buying a more expensive model with the "powered" hand-tool, save your money. I have owned one before, and they are more trouble than they are effective. I used a Bissell Little Green Clean Machine, prior to my spot bot, and the power hand tool was not strong enough to rotate if I applied any pressure, yet without that pressure, the stain did not lift. Additionally, the rotating brush on the power hand tool was constantly getting tangled up with fibers and hair. What I like about the basic, non-powered hand tool, is that I can push as hard as I like, and if the brush gets full of hair and fibers, you just grab them and pull them out.

The Bissell SpotBot does not eliminate the need to use a full size carpet shampooer, because it is not designed to clean large areas. However, using the it to erase spills and stains greatly extends the time between wall-to-wall shampooing.

Another consideration: This little guy is LOUD. I typically use it when I am able to do something out of the room it is being used in. Yes, it really is that loud.

To prolong the life, and cut down on undesirable odors, I ALWAYS rinse out the dirty water reservoir and back-flush the hand held attachment and hose. Doing this small step after each and every use will keep your Bissell SpotBot looking and smelling *almost* like new.

Left wet circles on my carpet!

The Bissell SpotBot handsfree compact deep cleaner does a good job cleaning up messes from the carpet. It can not replace a regular carpet cleaner for general cleaning. I have three dogs and two kids and I was getting tired of dragging out the big carpet cleaner. I also have a small handheld cleaner, but in order to be effective you have to catch the mess right away. I don't always have time to clean right away and I don't always catch all the messes right away either!

I like the hand held brush and find it works well on dog pee, which seems "appear" on almost a ;weekly basis here. It also does a great job on juice spills. The hand held suction works better than the suction of the machine. The big brush of the machine does such a good job on set in stains, it leaves a clean round spot on my ten year old carpet! I have cleaned vomit, dog mess, urine, juice, mud and shoe polish. Impressive list.

Maneuverability
The SpotBot is heavy, although compact and easy to store. This machine is fairly easy to operate and the controls are very straightforward. After filling with water and cleaner, you place the brushes over the stain and turn it on. This thing is loud! I mean, really loud. This is a draw back for me as I usually clean at night or during nap time. The main issue I have beside the noise, is the suction. It just is not that powerful, leaves a damp circle behind. I end up using the hand held brush after it finishes cleaning to suction up most of the wetness.

Ease of Maintenance
Make sure to use the right cleaner. I put in rug cleaner made for my big carpet cleaner and ended up with way too ;much foam. Also my machine leaks a little water everytime I use it, not a lot, but it could become an issue in the future. I will update my review if that happens.

Suction Performance
The hand held brush is great, the machine itself, not good. It never suctions up all the wetness and I have to go over and over it with the brush to get it damp.

Well, the leak kept getting worse until it was just too much of a mess and bother to use it. Maybe I got a dud, but I won't buy this again.

SpotBot makes keeping the carpets clean a breeze.

from Tolland, CT

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

Truly impressive! With 5 cats and carpeting (including white berber) I have spent a lot of time scrubbing carpets with various products. I finally decided to give this a try and over 3 yrs later it's been one of my best purchases. Just set it and in 3 or 6 minutes the carpet is clean. Can't be any easier.

Ease of Maintenance
It's a little tough to scrub the dirty water tank but a good flushing with hot water seems to do the trick.

My only complaint is that if you leave the clean water tank with solution in the unit it tends to make the cap (and where the clean water exits) plug up so it's best to leave the clean solution tank upright out of the unit.

After 3 years it still works like when it was brand new.f

Great on stains

from Wellsville, UT

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

I bought this to use on the pet stains in my house and it works very well. It also works good on all stains. It works the best if you use it right away before the stain sets in, but the machine also has a setting for a set in stain. To us the machine, fill it up with solution and water, set it over the stain and choose the setting. It will go through the steps of scrubbing, rinsing and suckiing up the water. If it doesn't get the all the stain out run it through the cycle again. It does an excellent job.

• Versatility:

This product is a piece of crap. We bought 2 and both broke.

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

We bought 2 of these pieces of crap and have had nothing good to say about it. The first one leaked like a sieve and we replaced the fill tank with a new cap. This lasted about a month and then it started leaking like a sieve again. We replaced the gasket on the intake side of the machine and it would no longer clean. We pressed every button on the machine with no result. This is TRULY a PIECE OF GARBAGE. Don't buy one.
Dale J. Martiny
Kenner, LA

• Versatility:

Left wet circles on my carpet!

from cape cod, MA

Maneuverability

• Versatility:

See a spot, remove it quickly with SpotBot

from Baxter, KY

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

I love my Bissell SpotBot Robotic Vacuum. This wet and dry vacuum truly does work miracles. I received the Bissell SpotBot about two years ago and life before that was terror trying to get a spill or a "spot" out of my carpet. My entire home is almost all carpet and now with a baby there are many spills and there are going to be many more spills in the future. The number one thing I love about the Bissell SpotBot is that you can easily take it from one room to another and you don't have to go through the mess of cleaning your entire carpet... you can clean just one little spot, or a large area if you need to. This vacuum is very easy to use and very durable. Like I said, I have had mine for two years now and it still works like new. It is so convenient and can also be used handsfree which can really come in handy. Yes it may be a little noisy but not nearly as noisy as a large wet and dry vacuum. Ever since I got the Bissell SpotBot, my life has been made easier. This product definitely works and is definitely worth the money. Using this machine can help you save money by using a smaller appliance than a large one.

• Versatility:

Has gotten out many stains!

from Grand Island, NE

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

We received this as a wedding gift and honestly didn't use it for a couple years. But we have made up for that in the past few years. I love how you put it on the spot and push the button and it does the work. It has gotten out everything I have put it on. I do not put soap in the machine though. Mostly because it is so expensive. I actually put some cleaner directly on the spot and just put hot water in the canister. It works great and saves me lots of money. It does leave circles in the carpet. But all you have to do is wait for it dry and vacuum over it. No problem. The only reason I only gave it 4 stars is that the hose smells. I don't even use the hose attachment anymore because it smells so bad. It doesn't even completely come off so we can clean it out. But we still use the heck out of the machine. It really isn't that loud, at least to me. But if you ask my kids it is, they get mad when I run it while they are trying to watch cartoons. I still love it. I feel like it cleans much better than me with a rag. Mainly because it sucks the spots out of the carpet instead of rubbing them in. But after a couple years, it needed to be replaced.

Ease of Maintenance
I run bleach through it almost every use.

Suction Performance
Works great as long as you don't have designs imprinted in carpet.

My SpotBot is amazing!

from Anchorage, AK

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

We have cream colored carpet, a black dog, and two long-haired gray cats.  Between my inability to drink from cups without lids and the critters, our carpet gets quite dirty.  The Bissell SpotBot cleans stains amazingly well.  It also produces a little blob of fur.  Kind of fascinating, how much fur is stuck in the carpet that normal vacuuming does not pick up.

I have never used the hose feature.  I usually use the set in stain option, even on fresh stains.

The machine's use of cleaning fluid seems reasonable to me.  It is pretty loud, but you are free to leave the room while it scrubs.  The SpotBot cleans stains and messes way better than I ever could manually scrubbing.

If anything, I wish the cleaning area was a little larger.  Most of our dog barf stains require a set in stain cycle, a reposition of the SpotBot, and then a second cycle.  The soiled areas are not really bigger than the SpotBot, just more linear.  I think increasing the diameter by 2-3" would let me clean the whole soiled area using one cycle.

• Versatility:

nice little hand cleaner spot remover

from Kempner, TX

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

The Bissel spot bot is a nice little machine, light and easy to carry. Has cleaning brush for sticky spots, doggy messes and spills. You have to remember to keep the brushes clean or the next spot will clean as a spot or makes a dark spot in the middle of the floor. This is a mild disadvantage. The hand brush is the next thing we have found strange, the water, and cleaning fluid shoots out either side of the brush, don't understand that, but if you need a handy cleaning tool for the car, the "bot" cleans up baby messes and all.

A must have for anyone who owns pets or has children.

from Liberty Center, OH

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

This is something I bought when it first came out, and have been using it constantly since then.  It is awesome for removing all kinds of stains, from fresh to set in.  The best part is you just set it on the stain and walk away to let it do the work.  The hose attachment is great for cleaning stains on furniture, stairs, or those little areas that the spotbot will not fit in.  I have not had any issues with my spotbot in almost three years - it still runs as good as the day I bought it.  I have also found that any carpet cleaner works fine with the spotbot, so you don't necessarily have to purchase the recommended cleaner.  I honestly cannot think of anything negative about this product; it is just great!

A blessing for animal accidents!

from Butler, GA

Comments about Bissell SpotBot Hands-Free Compact Deep Cleaner:

The spot bot is perfect when you don't want to lug out the heavy duty carpet cleaning machine! You just set it and let it do its magic! It also has a handheld option which allows you to manually clean a larger area. It is well worth the investment!