Other Vacuums:

Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W

Pros

Cons

Owned for 6 Years and Counting

My parents bought me this vacuum when I got my own apartment over 6 years ago. I'm sure there has probably been little changes here and there, but whenever I see it at the store, it looks exactly the same. It's lightweight, I've used it on apartment stairs and I'm a wimp with no muscles. Dragged it out to the garage for my car and it has went through many of my moves with varying levels of carpet, kids, pets, and foot traffic. The pretty neat thing is that people have actually asked to borrow my vacuum when their top-of-the-line expensive model breaks. Whenever they bring it back, they are always "wowed." For some reason, people like to believe that the heavier--the better it cleans or the more expensive--the better. Not always so, especially in the case of this little Bissel Powerforce. I didn't buy it based on reviews, my parents bought it with me because it was the absolute CHEAPEST vacuum in the big box store.

The features: 3 attachments, 5 different levels, hose, and bag fill indicator on the front (basically a green piece that starts to turn red the fuller the back gets). Upright, pedal-press to recline and use. On/off switch on the side.

Pros: Lightweight, small so it fits in closets and cramped quarters, nice-looking, bag fill indicator, decently sized hose. Easy to remove and replace door to the bag, bags are also simple to remove/replace. Bags are reasonably priced, get the cheapest brand, it doesn't matter. Good suction.

Cons: Clogs, vacuum will no longer sit upright (but that's after 6 years of being thrown around).

I'm a shedder and this vacuum absolutely will get clogged in such cases. The bad thing about that is you wont know it's clogged until your vacuuming your kitchen floor and go back to find that hair has literally been spit out in a trail everywhere you pushed the machine. It's a pretty simple fix and I don't know how to fix anything. You take off the cover (which is easy to remove and put back on), take off the vacuum bag (also easy) and clean out the hole that leads to the bag. It's simple to do. I'm the only girl in my house though, I have no idea what it would be like in a house full of hair.

The only other issue I ever had is that the mechanism that holds it upright broke after repeatedly dropping my vacuum. I beat the heck out of the thing though so I think it's more of user fault than the actual manufacturing, especially since it took 6 years to break that part. I never use the attachments, but they are pretty handy when cleaning corners, along floor boards, or in your car.

The one thing that does annoy me is when I'm done using the hose, I like to throw it back on and keep moving. However, you have to take the time to make sure you put it back in position on the clip or it will just keep popping off when you are vacuuming. I'm sure normal people wont have this issue. :)

My only advice is to watch the indicator on the front, change your bag when it gets red or even 1/2 red, and watch for excessive hair getting spit out the back which means it's clogged. Seriously though, I have literally vacuumed up socks with this thing--it's suction is that strong. More surprisingly, is that the vacuum didn't clog with socks. However, I am told by my partner that I am not longer allowed to do such things and must pick up the floor before vacuuming.

I recommend this for the college student, the elderly, families, everyone. Don't let the inexpensive price fool you, the Bissel Powerforce really lives up to it's name.

Maneuverability
It doesn't have a swivel head, but it's still easy to maneuver and gets in small spots.

Ease of Maintenance
You don't really need any instructions, you can figure it out. It's never needed a new belt or anything other than bags and unclogging.

There's better out there for the price

I was desperate for something to clean the floor of our small, family-run bookstore, but had little money to spend. I went with the Bissell Powerforce Bagged Upright because it was inexpensive and readily available. It did not impress however. I would vacuum the same 3x3 foot patch of floor multiple times and still not get everything up that I could sweep out of the carpet with a broom. It was not a time-saver, but a waste of time. I was so happy when I threw it out 6 months later and got a decent vacuum instead!

Maneuverability
Clunky, heavy, didn't like to turn easily. It was hell to use around the bookshelves and display stands.

Ease of Maintenance
Changing the bag was okay, not too messy, but the belt slipped off frequently and the brush clogged and would stop turning if you looked at it sideways.

Suction Performance
I could sweep up more with a broom than it would suck up. Really poor suction.

It looks boring, but who needs a fancy-looking vacuum. If it had worked well, I wouldn't care about the lack of design.

For all I know it would last forever in mediocrity, but I needed something that would actually work, so it lasted in our place for all of 6 months.

This product is great for anyone.

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

I love this Bissell powerforce bagged vacuum, and it is actually quite cheep for the quality you get in this vacuum. This vacuum has great suction and I guarantee it will get your carpet clean every time you use it. There is a down side to this vacuum though and that is it does not clean hard floors good at all.

Maneuverability
This vacuum can be pretty hard to push and pull when you are vacuuming higher pile carpeting and area rugs, so I would not suggest this vacuum for people with back problems.

Ease of Maintenance
This vacuum only takes three very simple steps to maintain so maintainance is a breeze. The first two steps of the only needs to be done when the bag check indicator shoes red and these are check the hose for any abstructions and replace the bag with a clean one, and the last step is once a month clean any hairs and or strings and then get back to vacuuming.

Suction Performance
The suction power on this vacuum is tremendous, it can pick up rocks and sand that many other vacuums can't even on a full bag.

Versatility
The vacuum comes with three tools that make most above floor cleaning a snap, however these tools and the short hose make it no good for cleaning stairs.

My Bissell powerfroce has been knocked down stairs and works like brand new.

• Versatility:

Stinks up my whole house.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

This vacuum has a weak to decent (depending on carpet length) suction power. On shorter carpet, I think it does an okay job. It does not give an adequate cleaning on longer carpets and rugs. This gets overworked very easily and I have to unplug it to let it cool down because it gets warm. Being a person with a lot of long hair, as well as having daughters with long hair, pets that shed fur, etc. there is a lot in my carpet, and this thing is terrible. After it sucks up hair, it gets stuck around the rotating contraption and then starts to burn. It makes my whole house smell disgusting like burnt hair.

Maneuverability
It is fine if you are going in a straight line, but it is difficult if you are going around sharper turns.

Ease of Maintenance
Terrible! I am constantly having to pull burnt hair out of the bottom.

Suction Performance
It is fine on shorter materials, but leaves a lot of stuff behind in longer ones.

Versatility
This is for short carpets with little shedding problems only.

Difficult and looks a little cheap.

This vacuum wore out very quickly. It probably doesn't have even half the suction it did when I got it.

There's better out there for the price

from IL, USA

Suction Performance
I could sweep up more with a broom than it would suck up. Really poor suction.

Takes care of business!

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

Absolutely love my Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright vacuum cleaner. This sucker (ha! pun intended) works great on my carpet when set to the lowest-level setting. I also use it to "sweep" my kitchen and on my couch - popcorn doesn't look nice on furniture.

Maneuverability
I am quite sure there are better maneuvering vacuums on the market, but this vacuum does the trick. Don't expect 90-dgree angles without a bit of a struggle.

Ease of Maintenance
Never had to do anything to my Bissell except change the bag!

Suction Performance
Hard to beat the performance of this vacuum, especially for the price. Our home is older, with a lot of carpet and two kids who play outside a lot. Leaves, dirt, candy - even fireplace soot and twigs are no problem for my Bissell.

Versatility
It's a vacuum. It is designed to clean things. It does that well. The attachments work well too - especially on stairs.

Seems built to last. I bang it around on the stairs quite a bit and it seems to handle that just fine.

• Versatility:

Great prduct for the price.

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

This vacuum cleaner is a great product.

Maneuverability
Easy to move and it's light weight.

Very easy to clean.

Suction Performance
It picks up a lot of dirt. I have to change the bag about once a week. It des a great job.

It handles very well.

Design is great but I don't think that matters. I'm more worried about it picking up the dirt.

It's really light weight not solid.

Bissell Powerforce is great

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

The price isn't too high. This vacuum lasts a pretty long time (going on 7 years), even with having 2 dogs and 5 kids! It's not a difficult vacuum to manage.

Maneuverability
It's a bit heavy, but it gets the job done.

Ease of Maintenance
Changing the bag is really easy, it's just finding the right bag that is the difficult part. There is no other maintenance really unless you get a fur ball or something stuck in the suction hose.

Suction Performance
This vacuum does a great job!

Versatility
It's not too heavy, but being a small person, I have little bit of a difficult time taking it up stairs. And vacuuming stairs is a bit tough, the house stretches a little and has detachable parts, but having to haul the vacuum up and hold it while vacuuming is hard.

It's a little bulky, but not so big that it's hard to place in a closet or small place to store. I think maybe my suction hose is a little stretched, I'm not sure, but I've had it for quite a while, so it's held up pretty well. The latch to help it stand up has broken off, but again, I've had it for about 5+ years.

I like that the front part has a piece of rubber around it. It's helped keep the vacuum from getting too badly bruised.

Works well

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

Before owning this vaccum I've always had bag less one, eventually I got fed up with how much dust ended up back in the air. With this vaccum it not only keeps that from happening but also makes it easy to clean up by just removing the bag. While buying the bags can get expensive I believe it's worth it. While definitely not the best vaccum you can purchase, it does very well and is reasonably priced. I recommend to anyone who needs a simple vaccum to get the job done.

GREAT VACUUM FOR THE PRICE

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

I have used several Bissel vacuums both bagged and bagless and this is another winner.

Maneuverability
The wheels on it work well it doesnt get stuck or anything.

Ease of Maintenance
The bags are easy to change and inexpensive. Rubber belts can be bought for cheap if it ever snaps.

Suction Performance
It picks up the dirt off the carpet with no problems. Suction is rather good.

Versatility
It reaches into corners with the extension and the nose of the vacuum is a decent size for vacuuming open areas.

I think the design is good with the exception of the handle. The handle snaps into place and has actually come out on us a few times. Perhaps we pulled on it in a weird way?

I have had this vacuum for a year now and it has worked flawlessly.

Your Number 1 Vacuum

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

It's not that hard to use.It's easy abd you have more control moving around especially when you are trying to get vacum little areas that you can't reach.Besides that you could store it inside your closet when your done using it so that it wouldn't get in the way.

Maneuverability
Excellent while moving around.It's not that hard to clean anywhere it needs to clean.Plus you could clean underneath areas such as under furniture,tables,chairs,and especially under somebody's feet when their laying around on the couch.

Ease of Maintenance
Picks up anything that you want to vacuum away but be careful because if you have your keys on the floor it will pick that up to so be extremely careful on what you have on the floor.

Great!!!

Versatility
Works great with me so it will work great with you.It will probably be your number one fan.

Cute it comes in all different colors.Me myself I have a black one.

Great!!!!

Good Vacuum

from Melbourne, FL

Comments about Bissell PowerForce Bagged Upright Vacuum 71Y7/W:

I have been using this vacuum on my carpet for a while now, and I have never had any problems with it. It cleans as well as any vacuum I've had, and it has always managed to leave my carpet clean of all the dust, hair, and anything else.

Maneuverability
This is a somewhat bulky vacuum, so it is not incredibly maneuverable. However, I have never had any particular problems with it, as I do not have any stairs or tight spaces in my house.

Ease of Maintenance
I have never been partial to bagged vacuum, as the process of dealing with the bag has been rather a pain. As far as maintenance goes, I would rather use a bagless vacuum. However, I have not had any other problems with maintenance.

Suction Performance
It has been a good vacuum in terms of suction. It may sometimes stir things up a little, but overall it keeps my place fairly free of anything that would bother my allergies.

The design is much more modern and sleek than other vacuums I've had, which I like.