3.9
Betty Crocker
Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper

3.9

Dare I say this is not a gourmet meal - but filling and tasty.

If Hamburger Helper Salisbury has been around, it has not been sold around here. I noticed it last month so chucked a box in the cart. We don't have Hamburger Helper very often, but I keep a box or two on hand for those nights when I don't feel very inspired in the kitchen.

This Hamburger Helper mix did not look so great when first mixed up. I wasn't so sure it would cook down and taste good. It did though.

Salisbury Hamburger is very simply named. They do add "with pasta and sauce." The taste is like the gravy with Salisbury steak - hamburger patties served with gravy.

You add three cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of milk to this HH mix. That's simple enough. Just make sure you have some milk.

The first time I made this quick meal, I did use hamburger. Tonight, I used ground chicken by Tyson. That works out fine too. If the meat looks a little different in the pics, then that's because this is the mix made with ground chicken. If using ground chicken, just be sure to use a fork and break it down. Ground chicken kind of cooks in clumps if you're not watching and stirring it apart.

My oldest son likes this Hamburger Helper the best of all the mixes. I'm not sure I've ever served Salisbury Steak since the boys came along. So, it's not a familiar flavor for him, but he really liked the sauce. I'll have to make up some real Salisbury steak one of these days.

This is clearly not an uptown dish, but it's easy to make, filling, and it does taste really good. Best of all it does not have any of the random seasonings that are in a few of the Hamburger Helper mixes that make my stomach cry "uncle." I can't do the rice one at all, but I'm fine with Salisbury.

I like Hamburger Helper Salisbury with a salad. The boys just "go for it" and polish off the pan. They don't get HH often. It's mostly from scratch around here. They do enjoy this quick meal though, and they give the thumbs down to most quickies.

A Convenient All-in-One Package Entree.

This is as close to an all-in-one meal as I'll feed my family. Generally, all you need to add is water and browned ground beef. Add a side dish of veggies and the meal is done. With some of the flavors, you can put the veggies into the Hamburger Helper itself and it tastes great while only dirtying one pan. ;) Watch out for the extremely high sodium content though, and don't feed this too often.

I'm not a fan of most of the flavors, to be honest. The Mexican flavors all have a very cheap, overly salted, lowest-denominator Mexican flavor to them that I really don't like. Many of the Italian flavors also taste like low-grade canned Italian. My husband likes them though. My favorite is the Tomato Basil Penne, and I've subbed the ground beef with Polish sausage for a really delicious beans-and-rice topper in the past. I also like the plain cheese flavors, and most of the potato flavors are good. NOTE: When I cook from scratch, I rarely add salt to anything, so if you like salt those reviewers that find Hamburger Helper bland probably have a point.

If you haven't tried the Tuna Helper boxes, I find them all a lot tastier than the Hamburger Helper varieties, and easier to add veggies to. I haven't tried Chicken Helper but only because my husband doesn't care much for chicken.

A college student's best friend

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

Hamburger Helper may not be the healthiest way to prepare that pound of hamburger meat you have laying around, but it is rather convenient and delicious. The fact that these kits essentially prepare the meal for you in a simple and tasty way is enough to sell me.

Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I am very disappointed that the company decided to change the flavor of this. There are so many different flavors and alot of them have been changed. If you buy Double Cheeseburger Macaroni it has a really odd flavor. My family and I like the original formula that the Cheeseburger Macaroni product had, this new flavor is simply not as good.

Quick meals for feeding a large family

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I stayed away from Hamburger Helper for so long. I always preferred to cook meals for my family from scratch. Now that my son is getting older, he is participating in more and more extra curricular activities. On top of that, my husband was getting stuck with extra shifts at work. I noticed the time I had to cook and serve a sit-down family meal was getting shorter and shorter. Sitting down to dinner together is one of the most important times in our family's hectic days, and I did not want to have to give that up. I started searching for filling options that I could quickly prepare. I finally gave in and started purchasing Hamburger Helper meals. They are easy to prepare and everyone loves them. I even add vegetables, cheeses, and other ingredients to give them a more made from scratch feel. One of my favorites is to add blue cheese crumbles to the Philly Cheese Steak mix. Now even on rushed nights, I feel like I can serve my family a decent, home cooked meal.

Dinner made easy

from Shiner, TX

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I love Hamburger Helper, I have been using Hamburger helper ever since it came out. Now a days so many more flavors. I have just about tried all flavors. Hamburger Helper is so easy to prepare. When nothing else comes to mind for dinner Hamburger Helper is there to fall back on. I try to keep several boxes in the pantry. I am a full time caregiver for my elderly parents. Mom has dementia and is very hard to please, and she has got where she will not eat at times. So I make Hamburger Helper. It is the right amount for us and mom does it eat. I try to make the flavors she might like.

Easy and delicious.

from Mount Morris, MI

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

This product really changes the way beef tastes. My kids love eating it. They specifically ask me to buy it and put it on the grocery list for me. They are also easy enough for them to make without me, So when I work late, they will make it.

Quick Way to make a good supper

from Garden City, MO

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I like to keep several boxes of Hamburger Helper in my pantry for the days when I am short on time to make dinner. It is easy to make and you can add other things to personalize it to your families tastes. Everyone gets a nice warm meal that is nutritious and I get a quick fix for dinner and more time to relax with my family.

Very simple and convenient, easy to make plus delicious.

from San Pablo, CA

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

This is an easy to prepare, very convenient meal. I'm always in a rush and so Hamburger Helper is for me. And besides, my family loves it! So grateful that this product has saved me on occassions that the whole family was soooo hungry and I didn't had enough time to prepare a great, delicious meal. We love Hamburger Helper!!!!!

A very convenient, quick to make dinner.

from Valparaiso, IN

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I think that Hamburger Helper is a great product for two reasons.  It gives you something quick when you are stretched for time and it doesn't cost too much.  Having a child that is very active in sports I find their products very helpful for getting a meal on the table shortly after getting home from practice during the week.  Hamburger Helper doesn't cost that much and if you use reasonably lean ground beef I think it tastes really good.

Easy to Make When You're in a Hurry

from Aberdeen, SD

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I always have some Hamburger Helper on hand for those days that I'm just too busy to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. My 3yr old is very picky and she actually likes it, which is quite surprising. I like to blend in vegetables like corn & peas to get her to eat a little healthier. They have a lot more variety than they used to also. Chicken Helper & Tuna Helper can also be found quite often in my pantry too. My husband loves the Chicken Fried Rice, and I just use canned white meat to make it so it is so easy to prepare. Maybe some day I'll learn how to throw a home-made meal together quickly, but for now I'm very thankful for Hamburger Helper - we would be eating from the drive-through otherwise!

Great taste

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I enjoy all of the Hamburger Helper boxes. They add great flavor and versatility to any meal. My favorite was Rice Oriental which is no longer available at least in my area. But they are a great addition to any meal and at a very reasonable price.