View more Sergers

Sergers
Bernina
Bernina Serger 700D

Bernina Serger 700D

Basic serger that will do most of the stitches you will need.

Comments about Bernina Serger 700D:

I do not like having to open the cover to change the stitch length or the cutting width. The controls are inside what makes it more difficult to access them if you need to change anything. It is not made by Bernina, it is made For Bernina. You will get the job done, but if I had to buy one now, I would chose another brand. The Juki MO644D is exactly the same as this one. I really mean they are the same. So it is worth checking if you are trying to buy a new serger. It can save you a lot of money.

Stitch Performance
I have used it a few times, and sometimes the stitches are a little inconsistent. Especially if you need to sew single layers. They wave very easily and you might have areas where the loops just hang off and other areas where they are just fine but all in the same seam. I always have to adjust the cutting width otherwise there will be even more loops hanging off the edge of the fabric.

It is not that hard to thread. Obviously, it is not as easy as the Babylock either. It does not have an easy-threading for the lower looper though. The 800DL is the one that has it.

Fabric Handling
Make sure you do not use fabric that is excessively thick as it can damage it.

I only have it for about 1 year. Let's see how long it will last.

• Stitch Performance:
  • Fabric Handling:
  • Versatility:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Bernina Serger 700D:

It is a very hardy machine. It will stitch anything you put before it. I serge charity quilts for the homless made from quilted top, sheet bottom, batting and a blanket or hospital type bedspread inside. Four layers, thick, and it will stitch 4 thread stitches perfect. It can be beat.

Stitch Performance
It just does not stop. Four threads thru 4 layers of material.

Very easy to use.

Fabric Handling
Any type.

Versatility
Use it for any;thing.

Easy to clean and thread.

I put the 700D thru its hardest tests. Hands down it is a real hummer.Six to 8 large quilts that are very thick with 4 layers of differnt types of fabric in one sitting.

• Stitch Performance:
  • Fabric Handling:
  • Versatility:

Bernina 700D

from Gilbert, AZ

Comments about Bernina Serger 700D:

You will fall in love with this machine.  It's smooth, and sturdy.

Sometimes I am an impatient seamstress, I know that's like

a sacralidge in the sewing community, but with this machine I can

put the pedal to the medal and my stiches turn out wonderfully

smooth and even.  I have a friend who is a professional seamstress

for several year, and she has remarked on how good my sewing is.

I told her it's not me it's the machine.  Really it is, she tried my machine

and she just loved it.  Great machine.

I love it!

from Knoxville, TN

Pros

Cons

Comments about Bernina Serger 700D:

I sew a lot so I really had to have a serger. The Bernina 700D is wonderful. Once you learn how to thread it. My only con for this machine is that it's so hard to thread. Particularly the two bottom threads. One of them has to be above ther other in a certain part of the threading or the thread will break every time you sew. I spent so many hours threading and rethreading this machine until I figured this out.

Otherwise, it's a great machine! It has a very even stitch, easy stitch adjustment for if I want to do a rolled hem, a three thread stitch instead of a four thread. And a blade that just flips up if I don't want to use it. Such as the serge stitch around the arms of a t-shirt.

You can use serger thread or they have thread toppers for if you just want to use regular spools of thread instead of the large serger kind. Which I do frequently since serger thread is difficult to find in exactly the color that I want.