3.8
Other Paints:
Behr
Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties)

Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties)

3.8

Paint and Primer In One

Originally, I had believed that my daughter's bedroom would require a primer and perhaps two or three coats of paint to cover properly because I wanted to replace the dark purple colour with a light blue. Behr Premium Plus Ultra interior paint, however, proved me wrong. I was able to do paint the bedroom with just two coats. This paint is paint and primer combined. It costs more per gallon of paint than other grades of Behr but I believe that it saved both time and money in the long run. It took only one gallon of paint with the Premium Plus Ultra. Another grade of paint would have required a gallon of primer, and maybe two gallons of the light blue colour. Two coats of paint needed six hours (one hour per coat and a few hours between coats to dry). Any other grade of paint would have taken a whole day, perhaps two, assuming primer and three coats of colour.

The paint looks great and is very easy to maintain! I waited until the paint on the walls were completely cured before I painted the trim. Some of the trim paint "mysteriously" ended up on the walls but I was able to scrub it off without damaging the wall paint. I am extremely happy with this paint.

Behr primer/paint in one misleading.

Primer/paint in one was purchased at the top price thinking there would be less work.  Started with the closet which was originally tan.  Perfect, cucumber cool paint covered the tan and maintained the color that was on the card and in the can.  After painting the dark blue walls however, and after two coats, the cucumber color looks more yellow than cucumber green.  I guess I am looking at three coats of paint to get the color I want.  Disappointed.

I would not buy this paint again

from Corning, CA.

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Coats Well

Cons

• Very Poor Adhesion

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

power washed exterior, sprayed my eves and trim. Overspray on siding could be pealed away??? Behr Ultra with primer should stick like glue. My house is ten years old. I've owned home last two years. It appears the siding was painted with a "satin" finish paint. I used a satin paint for my trim and was going to use a satin for the siding. Trim is rough wood finish, so adhesion is not an issue. I've contacted Behr and waiting for their response to my adhesion issue. Is it possible that the previous paint on my siding was an "OIL BASE" and using a water base is the reason for poor adhesion. However, Ultra contains a "PRIMER" I lucky that I was able to see the problem before I painted the entire house.

good point

from St. Paul, MN

About Me Casual Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Coats Well
    • Great Color
    • Low Odor

• Interior Painting
      • Redecorating
      • Remodels

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

We just bought our first house and the first thing we wanted to do was paint. The house is from the 1970s and the walls were a horrible yellow inside. We decided to get behr because we know a lot of people that recommended it and we wanted a decent pint that would last. We're also not a very patient couple and wanted to avoid having to do multiple coats, SO, we went for the Ultra. It is paint and primer in one so we were able to skip the extra primer layer before doing the normal paint. We were hoping to get our bedrooms done in just 1 coat since the yellow we were going over was pretty light and it wasn't marked up much, and we were painting over it with a light very neutral creamish color. And luckily, it worked great! 1 coat and it looked flawless. Some people mistake the "paint and primer in one" and a one coat paint, which in general, it is NOT. It just means you don't have to prime first. If you were doing a light color over dark you would probably need at least a couple coats. But for us, 1 was all we needed. The color came out pretty much how I expected it to and it really brightened up the rooms. It went on easy and wasn't super messy at all either. If you want to do it in just one coat over a dark color or want it to be sure to last longer, I recommend the behr marquee though. We bought that for our living area which has vaulted ceilings ad goes on forever! We did NOT want to have to do 2 coats or have to repaint that for a LONG time. The marquee is paint and primer in one PLUS it is specialized so you should only need 1 coat, no matter what color you're painting over.

Chips easily

from Hendersonville, NC

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

We wanted to repaint our entire house and decided to go with the Behr interior paint to do so. We cleaned and prepped our walls and painted every room. About 2 months later, I noticed places on the walls where the paint was coming off. I blamed it on my kids and figured that they had rubbed up against the wall with something. But then I began to see where the paint had flaked off on areas off the wall that were too high to have been rubbed up against. We do not live in an old home, we were painting over existing paint, and we made sure that our walls were both clean and dry before painting them. For the life of me, I can not figure out why paint would just flake off like that. I have had to keep a small container of paint for each of the rooms on hand so that I can do touch ups whenever I see a new spot. It's frustrating. The only thing I can think of is that it is the quality of the paint because our painters used a very high quality paint on the walls when we first moved in and we never had any issues.

Quality
      The paint looked great at first, but then it began to flake. If it weren't for that, the walls would be beautiful.

Obviously it isn't very durable if we are thinking about repainting and it has only been a year since the last paint job.

Coverage
      The paint is easy to use and covers nicely.

• Ease of Appliation:

Behr interior paint gets our vote

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

Great paint that we only bought because I was trying to match a certain color. Now I wouldn't use any other paint . The array of colors is endless all the way from the latest colors to standard old favorites. The paint goes on smooth and almost always covers in one coat. Love this paint.

Quality
      This is probably the best quality of interior paint that we have ever used. The texture is smooth and even the amateur painter can get this paint to cover evenly. We love that it is washable and doesn't looked streaked after being cleaned a few times.

What I like is knowing that when we are painting, it will look clean and fresh for years. What my husband doesn't like, the paint looks fresh and new and I am wanting to change the color so there he is painting a wall that he doesn't think needs it.

Coverage
      All of the Behr paints do a great job of covering and in most cases will only need one coat. We have decided that so called bargain paints aren't a bargain when they don't cover evenly in one coat.

Ease of Appliation
      This paint looks almost like a cream. It is so smooth and just flows from the roller to the wall. It doesn't splatter like some paints that we have used in the past and we think it is really the bargain paint at regular price.

• Ease of Appliation:

Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (AllVarieties)

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

I must say that having used Behr paints in the past, I expected much more from this brand. I believe it performs like a middle of the road brand, not a super premium one. One coat is what I expect when going from light to light or dark to dark but this didn't cut it for me. I have used this brand in the past with very good results comparable to SW paint and other major brands.

Quality
      The quality isn't bad but premium isn't the right word to describe this paint.

When I paint a room, I expect it to last a long time. This paint just doesn't look very good and I've done a lot of touch ups. I'm considering just getting better paint and re painting the project.

Coverage
      With good paint and some knowledge, one coat should be enough light on light. There a so many holidays, it's like using a very watered down paint. I'd rather pay more and paint once than do two or three coats.

Ease of Appliation
      It doesn't seem very watery but perhaps I got a bad lot. Maybe the pigment is off. Anyway, I plan on taking the unused portion back to HD for a refund or exchange. It's not acceptable at the price.

Good enough

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

Behr is my default to-go paint - fairly good quality, convenient for not needing to deal with primer as well, and relatively low odor (even though not as odorless as the true low VOC paints I tried in Europe last summer).
      In my experience, it is not a single hand color - a couple of applications are needed even for a slight color change. The color however lasts well, as evidenced by my walls that were painted 5 years ago. So do the paint leftovers that are on standby for minor touchups. It reacts better to cleaning than what I had expected - a magic eraser can do wonders with minor scuffs if I am not in the mood for a paint touch up. Overall, price is OK, quality is OK, and the results do look good. My minor complain is that it is not very well behaving on wooden surfaces (e.g. doors) that can be a challenge - so multiple coats needed there. Plus, it is very slow to dry if you put the wet roller in a plastic shopping bag, so it is good enough to use the next day - I have given up on cleaning rollers, just keep it wet enough to finish the job, and then throw it away at the end of the job: seems better for the environment than diluting that paint in water and then disposing of it...

• Ease of Appliation:

I loved this paint, it worked really well!

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

We moved into a new house about 2 years ago, and had to repaint the entire thing before/after we moved in. This paint was fabulous because we didn't have to use a primer first, and were just able to wipe the walls and paint right over the existing colors. There have definitely been some high "traffic" areas that have gotten a little bit chipped (where my son sits next to a wall and bangs his chair on it frequently), but overall it is standing up to the 4 young boys that are in my house all day long!

Quality
      The paint was easy to apply, and looks great. The colors come out very well, true to the sample cards.

As I said earlier, there has been a little chipping to the paint, but only in particular spots where the kids are very hard on it. Everywhere else in the house has held up very well.

Coverage
      We were able to paint a lot of rooms and not need a lot of paint. We did 2 coats, and everything turned out great.

Ease of Appliation
      It went on very smoothly with rollers and we had only minimal trouble on painting brick walls (to be expected). Not a paint problem, just a wall problem!

Behr Premium Plus Interior Paint Is Two In One Job

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

This paint is great, for the first time I only have to apply the paint, and nothing else. Very convenient. The primer is included, and the outcome was wonderful. I trust this product.

Great grade of paint.

I haven't needed a paint job in over 3 years.

Coverage
      I only needed one coat of paint.

Ease of Appliation
      Easy application, with no messy cleanup. Lovely outcome.

• Ease of Appliation:

Just like the other Behr, it just costs more

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

Do not fall for this trick. This is just as good as the other Behr paint products out there, which is fine, but it is in no way a premium product. It works fine, but I have no idea what is supposed to make this "ultra." My only guess is that it is ultra high priced. This did not live up to my expectations in any way.

• Ease of Appliation:

Used to love it, now not so much

Comments about Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Paint (All Varieties):

I have been a hard-core Behr fan for years, so when it came time to repaint mt kitchen I didn't think twice: I bought Behr Premium Ultra Interior Semi-Gloss Enamel and Primer in One.
      I prep the surfaces: wash w TSP and rinse; scuff-sand glossy surfaces; fill holes; sand and clean off any dust, grease, dirt, grime (I've done this before: no shortcuts for me. )
      . Stir paint well. Apply paint with brand new high-quality brushes and rollers. Watch paint drip. Watch paint not cover, even though we're painting white over white. Don't let your kids hear me cuss. Watch me never buy this paint again. Bad job, Home Depot.

Quality
      Drips, doesn't cover--even white on white.

Coverage
      Won't even cover white with white.

Ease of Appliation
      Drips! (I am experienced--it's not me.)