View more e readers

Barnes & Noble Nook

Pros

Cons

Reading a Book with my Nook was an Eye-Opening Experience

I'm pretty set in my ways, and while I appreciate what technology can do, I tend to be resistant in some areas. I've always said I would never buy an e-reader because I like the feel of a physical book in my hands. I just didn't think you could get the same experience with a Nook.

To my surprise, the **Nook Classic E-Reader** has turned out to be much better than I originally anticipated. It can do some things really well, though there are other issues that need future improvement.

Battery Life
I'm not a big tech person, so I don't know how the battery life rates against other ebook readers. I simply keep my eye on the battery indicator and recharge it if I know I'm not going to be using it for a few hours. I've never found the battery life to be an issue for me.

Book Choices/Variety
There are thousands of books to download with the Nook, and you can download a free sample before you decide to purchase. In addition, Barnes & Noble offers "Free Fridays" where you can download a featured selection for free. I don't have an interest in all of the Free Friday selections, but they do a good job in providing variety across genres. The ones I have downloaded have been good quality and very interesting.

Readability
The Nook screen is easy to read. The e-ink technology is much more forgiving on my eyes than staring at a bright, backlit screen and I never suffer from glare. If you want read at night though, a bright booklight is a must. On another note, I have since learned that the publishers are responsible for my pet peeve with ebooks readability--formatting errors. With the first book I downloaded, it seemed that every 25 pages or so contained an obvious error in formatting. The free Google books tend to be the worst offenders.

I wasn't used to a touch screen so it took me extra time to get started. After a frustrating day trying to operate the touchscreen panel, I finally got the technique down (I had been pressing too hard) and was able to navigate efficiently.

I find the search feature to be a bit cumbersome and it seems to take longer to find a book than it does on the B&N website. In addition, the dictionary feature is slow and the results are sometimes confusing. That entire interface could use a big upgrade.

So far, so good. I use a Nook cover to keep my e-reader protected from spills and scratches.

After the Nook I went back to paper books

When I purchased this nook, I got the black and white one because I did not think I would do much web browsing on it. I am glad I did because the web browsing capabilities were not capable of handling the average persons web uses like e-mail, and facebook. If you just want it for simply reading books than its a good item. I does not have a backlight so I would recommend getting a case with a flashlight attached for night reading. My device froze on me a few times and I had to remove the backing and hit the reset button or remove the battery to get it function. Other than that it got the job done. Since this e-reader I switched to reading Kindle books on my Iphone because I fond that there seem to be a lot more free Kindle books available to me that way. I also went back to regular books because the e-books were pretty costly. Over all if you want to simplify your book collection and you can afford to pay 10-20 bucks for a book than it is a good deal. But I have found that they are not economical for the type of material I enjoy reading. The music player was decent, but it is definitely not an Ipod. I didn't do much listening to stuff while I was reading, so I would only download classical tunes with no sound because It is hard to read and listen to mp3's simultaneously.

Battery Life
Great battery life only charged once a week.

Book Choices/Variety
I was able to find more on Kindle's E-reader.

Readability
Would have functioned nicer with a back light, but it allowed you to adjust font size which was nice.

Good for book reading, not so good for internet browsing. The ease of use on that was a bit challenging.

Never go anywhere without it

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

I'll admit, I will always prefer having a hard copy of a book, but being able to choose from over a hundred or more books to read, all within a small, easy to use reader is awesome. It's like having a portable library and makes it so easy to read whatever I want, where ever I am. I especially love this e-reader because of the screen quality and how easy it is to navigate. I can read in the sun very easily, and the words on the screen are always very crisp and clear. I love that I can also listen to my own music as I read and can put photos on it to make it more mine. It also comes with Chess and Sudoku which are easy to play on the Nook and fun. I may upgrade some day to a newer model, but I do think I will always stick with the Nook in general.

• Readability:

The B&N Nook, 1st Edition is a great investment.

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

This e-reader is a great investment. I have owned my Nook for approximately a year and a half, and it still works wonderfully.

The Nook 1st Edition is well-designed, with good readability and an easy-to-use touch screen at the bottom of the e-reader. The layout is intuitive and easy to understand. The 3G feature for shopping is reliable and I have never had a problem with it. The variety of books offered by B&N is fairly good, and always expanding. A number of older, classic works can be found for free or for a very low price and new best-sellers are easily found in the Nook book list. There is something there for everyone. The battery life is good but not as long as was advertised. Additionally, it has diminished some over my use of it, though not greatly.

It was an investment when I first bought it, but well worth the money. I would definitely recommend this e-reader - or any e-reader by Barnes & Noble - to someone looking for one.

Great starter

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

This was a great starting point for the ereader trend. I loved my first edition Nook and it has kept me faithful to the Nook brand. I have since moved onto the Nook tablet, and more recently the Nook HD. I still have my first edition Nook and keep it as a back up in case anything happens to my newer ones. I've had it since it first came out and that thing is still sturdy and works great!

Easy EReader

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

This is a decent and simple e-Reader. I would say it is good quality for the price you pay. However, on that same token it does not come with a lot of the bells and whistles that a more expensive e-reader would. For example, on this version of the Nook you would not be able to download apps (like Angry Birds). You can however surf the internet and there are other games available (like Sudoku). However, if you are just looking for something to read on this is a good choice. The variety of choices for reading, especially the free classic literature picks are nice. I have had some trouble in the past borrowing books from libraries and reading it on my Nook. I was in the end able to download the materials, but it required me to download extra software onto my computer and then I had to manually transfer the borrowed books from my computer to my Nook. Overall I have had a very positive experience with my Nook, especially the fact that it is a very durable e-reader.

After the Nook I went back to paper books

from Toledo, Ohio

Battery Life
Great battery life only charged once a week.

Book Choices/Variety
I was able to find more on Kindle's E-reader.

Love it! Great Gift!

from Lisle, IL

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

I don't think I'll ever go back to lugging around a book again! This Nook is perfect. It's relatively inexpensive, attractive, makes a perfect gift, and works great. It does seem to have a bit of a glare to me (still), but it's far better than some on the market. I love ordering books while on-the-go and not having to deal with flipping pages!

Good Reader - Simple to Use

from Eagle Mountain, UT

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

The Nook is very basic and simple -- good for those who don't want anything too high tech. The buttons on the side aren't the best feature - the plastic cracks after being pushed too many times. Playing a game of Sudoku is fun, but can be frustrating and takes longer than it would to just play the game on paper.

I adore my Nook.

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

I have a first gen Nook that I got refurbished from B&N. It came to me perfectly, for being used. No scratches, and it works amazingly. I have not ever had a problem. The only thing I regret is that it does not function as a tablet, which is something that I will look for in the future. At the time however, it was exactly what I wanted. I've had it about 2 years now, and still use it often.

I got mine used and refurbished and it still works perfectly to this day.

• Readability:

Really enjoyed this for my first EReader

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

For the most part this was really easy to use. I would rather more control over how I organized my books (I didn't like having to go back and forth b/n my barnes and noble books versus others I downloaded). I like that you can press forward or swipe to advance in the book and it always remember where I was, even if I forgot to bookmark the page. Very easy to read.

• Readability:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Edinburg, TX

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook:

I received this as a gift from my sister and love it. I love reading so this makes it so easy to read on the go or at home. I have about 87 books on my nook and can save where I stop in different books, I can listen to music on it and play games. This is an amazing and a must have for any bookworm.

Battery Life
My battery life is about 24 hours.

Book Choices/Variety
You can buy almost any book on the b&n website and have it put straight to your nook.

Readability
It doesn't have a light to read in the dark but you can buy a light to clip on to it.

An older family member has used my nook with no problem at all, very easy to use.

Great design, very light and easy to fit inside my purse.

I bought a case for my nook and have never had any accident with my nook.