Other e-Readers:

Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Pros

Cons

Loving The NOOK Color

Most people dream of a big, fancy house or a sports car that will make them more appealing to the opposite sex. I, on the other hand, am a man of simple tastes, and since I was a kid I have dreamt of a device that would store all my books in one place, sparing me the ignominy of tripping over my copy of Tolstoy's War And Peace...AGAIN!!.

With the release of e-readers my dreams have been answered, and after taking all the major models (Kindle, Sony, Lookbook) for a test drive, I opted for the NOOK Color. The major selling point for me was most definitely the color display. It was something of a no-brainer given that I read magazines as often as I do books, and I have to say that my National Geographic subscription has never looked better. Throw in the ability to Facebook and Tweet on the go, as well as being able to listen to my favorite music via the Pandora app, and the decision became easier still.The only downside, so far, has been the constant screen cleaning (I really have to cut back on the chips), and a screen freeze that may actually have been avoided had I allowed the device to charge fully before using. What can I say, the man child giddiness won out over my adult, clear thinking brain. Long story short, if you loves to read, but hate tripping over all the books you have at home, then you are left with 2 options : a slew of Ikea bookshelves or the NOOK Color. My advice is to go with the NOOK, you are guaranteed not to have any loose screws or phantom parts laying around after you take it out the box.

Good product, but not the best.

This product is great as a reader. The B&N Store has a vast supply of books, whether you are looking for novels, children's books, or textbooks. The books are reasonably priced. Also, the actual reader technology is excellent. There is a built in dictionary. You may change the font, font size, or font color to fit your taste. You may also change the background color (like from white to black, which I prefer). The screen does reflect outside, so that is the only downside.
The Nook also can use apps and games. They generally look and play well, but some of the things to download are actually knock-offs of popular apps. When it comes to music, I was a bit disappointed. The device does it's job, but the music is more quiet than on other devices, even while using headphones. The Nook color's internet capabilities are decent. The device has difficulty picking up wifi from greater distances (it actually has trouble picking up the signal from my router inside the house if you are too far away or in the wrong room. The actual internet is pretty good. The device does the job well ans there aren't many problems, although sometimes the device can get slow depending on the site you visit. The device's video capabilities are disappointing. For example, Youtube seems to only works for about half of the time, and the video quality isn't fantastic if it does play. Overall, the device is good for the low price, but it doesn't come close to other technologies. Honestly, if you are looking for a tablet, then it would be better to look at an apple product or a windows tablet, and if you are looking for a reader, you would be better off with a regular nook.

Battery Life
Battery life it actually one of the best things. One can easily make 2 days of use if you play your cards right.

Book Choices/Variety
Has most of the books you would find at an actual Barnes and Noble.

Readability
The screen is reflective, so not reading outside.

I feel like I get lost in the menus at times. It could be more organized.

Nice sleek style. Good picture. Lightweight. Good size. It's a good one.

I haven't drop tested it, but it has taken some good hits and it works. The software slows as you use it, so it isn't great for movies or chatting.

Good for reading

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

If you are looking for an e-reader only, this would be the perfect product for you. They are great for reading, and basic applications. However, if you are looking for a tablet, I would not recommend this. While the nook is capable of connecting to wifi, it is not very fast, and it is pretty limited with what you can do. Also, the apps that are available are extremely limited. There was not even a facebook app. It is pretty durable though. Mine lasted 2 years, with minimal wear, and I'm an avid reader, so it went with me just about everywhere. So I would definitely recommend the nook color if you are looking for a basic e-reader.

Awesome Little Gadget!

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

I have had my nook now for over a year and it is used almost daily in my house. Between reading, soduku, angry birds, and books, this little gadget is worth the money paid. I enjoy reading books, magazines and news articles on this device. It is easily readable, and the color option is great for the web use and the games you can also download and play. I can check my email, download my favorite books and stay in touch with the latest news as well. This product will also let you share your books and library with other members who have the device or even the app you can download. I love the color better than the black and white due to the games and web use. This is an awesome device and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a simple to operate and overly useful book, calendar, gaming center and email station.

Lots of good reads.

Durable, long battery life and easily accessible.

Extremely durable, for on the go people.

Great for reading

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

The Barnes & Noble Nook Color is the best way to reed books without ever having to go to the store to buy books. As long as you have access to Wifi, you can download any of the newest books. The Nook Color is also convenient because it is lighter to carry around the Nook than it would be to carry a whole book. Also, when using the Nook at work or the gym, it's more convenient.

With the Nook Color, you can also get apps and search the Internet. The Nook is convenient to shop on or check your Email. Although most people can get this on their phone, it's convenient to have the Nook to read things in a larger size.

Battery Life
I charge this every 2 days or so. The battery seems to last a very long time in comparison to smartphones.

Book Choices/Variety
The Nook Color seems to have all of the newest releases available.

Readability
The screen is very clear to read, and the writing is large enough that you don't have to strain your eyes at all to read the books.

• Readability:

Go for the HD...the color is a bit weak.

from Crofton, MD

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

My daughter got this for Christmas and it was a toss up between this and the Nook HD. Both are tablet type eReaders, but this one is heaver on the Reading side than on the versatile app side. It has a bright screen with adjustable lighting options, Wifi capable and is light enough that it is easier to hold while reading than a laptop or a Tom Clancy novel.

Don't really like how it freezes periodically and how the battery runs out if the Wifi is left on. When taking it for a long car trip, my daughter can read and play games, but if we forget to turn off the Wifi then the battery is dead within an hour. Also the internet is pretty slow and although it runs on a version of Android, it isn't customizable or have access to the Google Play store for a full range of apps.

I have used my dad's Nook HD and found that it runs faster and has several more apps that can be installed. Go with the HD.

Not Bad

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

The Nook Color is a great reader, but it lacks some of the tablet like features many people want. It is not heavy. There aren't many apps, and the web browser is very slow and leaves a lot to be desired.

Battery Life
The battery will last for a very long time if all you do is read, surfing the web and playing games tends to reduce the battery life.

Book Choices/Variety
There area lot of book choices. There are not as many choices for apps.

Readability
The screen is bright, and easy on the eyes. You don't really notice the weight until you are laying down to read.

The touch screen is sometimes over sensitive, and when the keyboard pops up it takes up the whole screen.

The physical design is fine. I have issues with the software design. It just doesn't match up to the competition. There are very few apps, and the screen isn't always easy to use. I HATE the web browser. some sites wouldn't even load.

The Nook is sturdy, but I would recommend a case just to be safe.

• Readability:

We use the Nook every day and love it!

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

My 4 children and I use the Nook every day. We mostly use it for games and watching Youtube and stream movies through Netflix. I love that it isn't heavy and the battery is pretty long lasting.

Battery Life
It seems to hold up pretty well. I don't think I have to charge it too often. We get a lot of use out of it daily.

• Readability:

Could not live a day without it!

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

I absolutely, positively LOVE my nook. I was one of those people that never thought I would ever get an e-reader because I love the feel of the book and turning the pages while I read. My husband bought me the nook color for my birthday and I don't know how I have ever lived without it! No more turning on lamp to read keeping up my husband or having to come down stairs to read so I don't wake anyone up. I just turn it on read and when I am done shut it off, set on my nightstand and laydown. When I finish a book it's as easy clicking on the barnes and noble store on the tab at the bottom and download a new book! My nook has become how I relax at night. I LOVE it, and think anyone who loves to read should have one as well!

Battery Life
Battery last about 6 hours or so. Although my cord did break 3 times but I was within my warranty and BN has no issues shipping me out a new one for free!

Book Choices/Variety
I do wish the books were categorized a little better. I love to read, crime mysteries. And I wish I could search crime mysteries and find titles

Excellent readability!

Super easy to use!

Very sleek

I have had mine 2 years and still works like new!

Eh... Okay.

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

It works and gets the job done, but not much else. Video quality is not the best, but it doesn't totally suck either.

Battery Life
Great battery life, when screen brightness is fully down. But when it is up, battery dies quite quickly.

Book Choices/Variety
Great book choices, although alot of titles are not safe for kids, and there are not many free books, and the prices of the regular books are insane, considering all you do is download them. They should at least be a little bit cheaper than in store hard copies.

Mine broke after a couple of months, but I don't hold it against them, although after the first small crack, the entire case goes downhill fast.

Love my nook!

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

My nook color is great! I use it sometimes for reading, but mostly for using apps and playing games. It has lots of learning games that are great for my 2 year old daughter and I can set up a special profile that has only her games and apps, doesn't allow her to get on the internet or use the "shop". It's great!

Battery Life
Battery life is good, as long as you allow it to fully charge. I've found with mine (and maybe this is just because I've had mine for awhile now), if you throw it on the charger for half an hour and take it off before fully charged it's almost like not charging it at all.

Readability
Clear, bright screen. Love that I can adjust the brightness if I'm reading in bed. It's less bright but still very visible and easy to read, even at the lowest brightness level.

Very durable, I do let my 2 year old handle it quite a lot and she is not exactly gentle. Has been dropped multiple times and still running great.

Great ereader!

Comments about Barnes & Noble Nook Color:

Easy to use and easy to navigate. This ereader can read books in any font as well as read magazines in stunning color.

Battery Life
The battery is long lasting, about 4-5 hours in my opinion, but it will eventually run out. You have plenty of notice to plug in and keep reading. I recently read on a flight from Atlanta to Vegas that was 4.5 hours with no problem.

Book Choices/Variety
You can buy any book under the sun with this ereader as well as get many books from your local library. It's very easy to do!

Readability
You can change the text size to be bigger or smaller depending on your need and you can even change the font to have a totally different font!

This ereader is easy to navigate by always pushing the home or n for nook button on the bottom of the device.

I only wish the plug in was at the top because it is slightly bothersome to read with the cord at the bottom. I have to hold it when it is charging at that time.

So far, my Nook is very durable. I love it.