2.5
Bar S Hot Dogs

Bar S Hot Dogs

2.5

real good tasting

I like Bar S hot dogs they taste good and the price is right, I have tasted many others but this brand is the best, my kids also like them and my granddaughter is real pickey but she likes them too, also I have bought a couple of other brands both cheaper and more expenive but Bar S tastes the best and cooks up easy grills up great

Worst Hot Dog Ever!

I'm normally partial to Coleman's All Natural, Natural Casing Franks, but couldn't resist the buy one get two free on the Bar S.  What a terrible mistake.  There is no flavor what so ever.  Pan fried, they are soft and mushy and devoid of an texture that I would associate with a hot dog.  Boiling them is even worse...  The inside is still the consistency of baby food, but the outside acquires an almost papery texture, which seems to get stuck to you teeth.  Absolutely awful!

Why?

from Oceanside

Pros

Cons

• Bad Flavor
    • Bad Texture
    • Bland As Plain Tofu
    • Low Quality
    • Not Juicy

• Avoid

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

Worst quality hot dog i've ever tried. All I retain is the taste of bread and ketchup after eating them. Sucks that this crp is all i can afford to eat :(

Disgusting

from Seattle

Verified Reviewer

Pros

Cons

• Bland
      • Mushy

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

Bought them on sale, waste of money. No flavor, mushy, fall apart. My cat won't even touch them.

The good reviews I see must be either employees of them or paid trolls.

Hard to keep down

from Tempe, AZ

Pros

Cons

• Bad Flavor
          • Bad Texture

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

These things have been nasty for years. But every once in a while i give them another chance. But end up throwing them out. Beef hot dogs have been so expensive lately i thought id give them a chance again but yekkk.

,99 cent mystery meat

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

Should you really be eating a meat product that only cost a buck?!(that's for a whole pack, not just one hot dog) They are very bland and mushy and the skin on them cant be browned on the grill...it just blisters and turns black. My friend loves them, but he is 5 foot 6 and weighs 260 pounds...he eats like 3 packs a week.

Not bad

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

I have tried a lot of different hot dog brands. Frankly i love hot dogs. I always have. I am 57 years old and they are still one of my favorite food items. Bar S puts out a pretty good low cost hot dog. They are very tasty. Not too fatty but have a lot of flavor. Some people do not like all the ingredients that go into hot dogs. I choose not to look or pay attention because they taste so good. When my family was growing Bar S was a welcome surprise to see in the grocery store. Not only their hotdog but bacon were affordable enough for us to have them. You can do so much with hotdogs other than just putting on a bun. We love chili dogs, hot dog casserole. You can boil, fry or barbeque them. The possibility are endless when you use your imagination. Best thing is they are inexpensive and will feed a lot. Those of you on a limited budget might want to try Bar S Franks. Even not that the kids are teens they still like to grab a dog on the go. They are a fast easy filling bit to eat for everyone.

Affordable

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

Bar S Hot dogs have a good flavor. They are always found at an affordable price whether I am shopping at Wal-Mart or Food Lion. My children and I both like to eat this brand of hot dogs either on buns or as part of homemade "Beanie Weenies". The Jumbo Frank size fits hot dog buns very well.

Mechanically separated bonemeal

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

I just had the misfortune of having a Bar S hot dog and let me tell you. There's a reason why most other brands are 2 or 3 times the cost of these. Typical hot dogs, even better brands, might use mechanical separation to make their dogs. These guys leave the bones in your dog. Every bite is gritty, chunky and revolting. They don't warm up right and they are saltier than all-get-out. Whoever has written these other reviews is other taste/texture deaf, or on Bar's company payroll. Nathan's, Ballpark, Hebrew National are all good alternatives. Just think how much you'll be saving when you're able to finish the whole pack you got for the price of 3 BAR S packs you had to throw away.

good for a cheap product

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

So i have tried hot dogs that were worse than these and I have tried hot dogs that are better than these so i would say they were okay. I do not eat hot dogs a lot because of the sodium content and its processed but my cousins are little both under 10 and all they want to eat is hot dogs. They like any kind, I am not sure that they can tell the difference. I noticed that these hot dogs shrink a lot when they are cooked. A lot of other brands that I have tried plump up but not these. They are really short too. They barley cover half of the bun. For little kids they are fine. They do not care but if you are having a party and plan on doing like hot dogs and hamburgers I would no recommend serving these. They might be cheap and that is fine but like my dad used to sat you get what you pay for. If you get something for cheap there is a good chance you will not be getting good quality products.

Not my mothers hot dog.

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

Bar S Jumbo dogs used to plump when boiled. This is not longer the case. Now, when boiled, they do not plump and stay stiff. I tried to make a complaint to the company but they want upc numbers, price etc. It is a general complaint after buy a few packages in different stores.

Best Dogs for the money!!

Comments about Bar S Hot Dogs:

These hot dogs sre really the best. Not Bar S but bar none. The mechanically seperated chicken is the secret ingredient. These dogs provide a new use for pink slime. Watch for the price to increase due to several of the pink slime plants closing. My favorite dog is the bun length. It gives an extra bite. Good eating.