Other Credit Cards:

Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard

Pros

Cons

Upromise Bank of America Mastercard

This card is by far the best credit card for parents or grandparents wishing to save for a child or grandchild's college education.  You will need to sign up for Upromise through their website and apply for and be granted a Bank of America Mastercard.  Each month when your statement comes in, you will be credited 1% of each qualifying purchase; so if you put everything you purchase in a month's time on the card, by the end of the month you will have saved some serious money.  Plus, Upromise matches that money on qualifying purchases up to a certain amount.  The key to this is paying in full your balance each month when your statement comes in.  Be sure to pay the full amount prior to the due date so you do not incur any late charges because that negates any savings you might make.  If you follow these guidelines, it really is free money.  If at some point in the future, you decide you don't want to continue saving for a child, you can request that money for yourself.

Not so happy

I love Upromise and the upromise program. I previously had the upromise credit card with citibank and was very pleased. After the credit card changed over to bank of america I dropped the card after a few calls to customer service. Customer service was horrible and I couldn't take the risk of working with a company that didn't believe the customer was always right. I had fraudulent charges and asked the company for information and they wanted me to do the research; but couldn't provide anything to me other than what the website charge showed. Had customer service worked with me I would have loved to have kept the card because the rewards and the program are amazing. Thank goodness I can still use the upromise program without having to use the Bank of America credit card. I know I'm losing out on savings but I can't afford to have another large fraudulent change that the credit card wants me to research!

Great reward proge

from Florida

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

I have been a fan of bank of America for quite awhile and when I decided to go BA to school I became familiar with the UPromise program and decied that the two paired together could only mean good things. Because of that I decided to sign up for this card. I'm glad that I did, it is my most used card currently. The customer service is great, the card is easy to use and the terms are easily understood. I've never had issues with mis charges or anything. Each time that I have had to call and ask a question they have been kind and considerate. My favorite part of this Bank of America Promise card is that I get rewarded into my UPromise account, which in this day and age saving or getting rewards is a very helpful thing. That being said, this card doesn't really have any real need to be had by someone who isn't trying to build up a savings or rewards account and is in school. Still if you fit that criteria, then I would recommend this for you. It really is a great card.

Terrible

from https://www.viewpoints.com/reviews/new?p

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

I have had this card for years andloved! Earned tons of money for my kids 529 account. A coupole of years ago their fraud dept has made it nearly impossible to use. If I go a little over a mile form my home/billing address and try to use this card at a grocery store/gas station/mall store it will activate a fraud alert and my card will become unusable. Forget travelling with the card, even if you call anytime you use it it will activate the fraud alert.
We recently went on a trip out of state. I called before hand and told them I would be using the card in differnet states. Over a period of 5 days I had to call them 3 times because they shut the card down for very small charges (less than $50 ) Yesterday I tried to purchase something online through the upromise website and a fraud alert was activated. I lost out on over $38 of upromise credit! Customer service was of no help. They said there was nothing they could do!
DO NOT GET THIS CARD!!!!!!! If I could rate it a zero I would I've had the card since it was with Citi. Now it is with Bank of America. The card is a good cash back card the works with Upromise. Most people didn't know / don't know that you can just get a check cut for the rebate. You don't have to put it into a 529 or use it for your child's future. I would have given this 5 stars but there was an annual cap of $300 in rebates which is not that great.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Depends on your habits

from New York, NY

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

Overall, I like working with Bank of America. They have also been pretty good with customer service for me (although I persoanlly love capital one for this same reason). As far as the whole savings and points plan goes, this card really only works well if you shop online or eat out a lot. Most of the other perks are not that different than any other card. I also think it's odd that they make such a big deal about how the money back can go straight to your student loans. Perks ally, I would rather than take such small amount off my balance as it really barely affects the loans and the interest is so low. I would much rather have the cash back in my pocket. Luckily, they do allow this as an option too. I just feel that the idea of using it to pay off your loans is a little bit of a marketing scheme for anyone who is responsible enough to handle what to do with their cash back. I will say if you do online shopping and you go through the website you can get up to 10% back which is much higher than other cards. I would suggest going to the website and seeing what online stores you shop at have deals with upromise. Whether or not you get the card, it's worth registering your own credit card with the site.

Bank of America is horrible

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

After my father died I had to deal with Bank of America. They were absolutely the worse to deal with. None of my fathers other credit cards nor bank accounts at every other institution gave me any issues. I was the executor and sent all of my paper work to them twice. No dept talks to another and nobody would help me even after I begged for help and asked to speak to supervisors to no avail. I was truly at my wits end and ended up crying after all my calls and hours on the phone with them.

The upromise Credit Card Review

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

I found this credit card to be very amazing. I liked the idea behind it of having a percentage of your spending going towards a College fund for my children. In today's society it is very difficult to save money towards my kids College education. The idea of being able to spend money at my favorite stores and receive a portion of that go towards a College account for both of my children made me and my husband extremely happy.

Customer Service
The customer service department was always very helpful and knowledgeable. I always received the most precise answers to any questions that I had. The staff went above and beyond to help me with any issues that I may have had. Compared to other credit cards that I currently have, this credit card company had the most down to earth staff to deal with whenever I needed to call and ask a question. They were so fast in finding answers to me and my husbands questions that we would fall more and more in love with them each time we talked with them. The mailings that went out were very informative too and kept us up to date on all the different programs that would be going on with the Credit Card.

Available Rates
The rates were very comparable. I did not think they were too high or too low. One time I noticed my rate went slightly higher so I called the credit card company to ask about this and the customer service representative happily said that she would lower my rate because of my great relationship with them. WOW, talk about an amazing credit card company that truly values their customers.

• Available Rates:

The UPromise side is Awesome. . .the BofA side. . .notsomuch!

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

I opened a UPromise account over ten years ago, though it was a Citibank account back then. I found the program easy to understand, use, and gain awards from. I don't usually use things like points for Disneyland or hotel stays or air miles anyway, so this just seemed a logical program to be a part of. Back then, the number of participating stores and such wasn't terrifically huge, but it was definitely enough to keep me interested and the money slowly growing. The ways to get money has definitely grown, and I exclusively use the Upromise card, including on purchases I pay off each month. My college fund has grown in those ten years into the thousands of dollars. I am pretty happy with that. Especially since I didn't change anything at all. . .just used the card as normal. So, the program itself is easy and AWESOME!! However, when Bank of America took over (and i am not sure why that happened) I had numerous problems, especially with the account being suspended several times without warning due to their fear of suspicious activity. Though I initially appreciated their diligence, it got annoying, fast, especially since they always waited until I called THEM to try to figure out the problem when my card was suddenly declined. So incredibly frustrating. So, the program is awesome, but Bank of America was a pain!

• Available Rates:

great way to save for college

from Manteca, CA

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

i opened a upromise account after i found out i was pregnant. the savings are good but they become great with the upromise master card. not only do you get 1% on all purchases but online savings can skyrocket with specific stores and the use of this card. from 3-15% at times. the dining program can make a 15-30% savings on dining out. and all that money can be put into a college savings account for your kids. why not save for them with your everday purchases? as long as you pay no interest or fees you are making money work for you. no annual fee helps that goal.

Customer Service
i have been a customer since 2004 and always had helpful honest service. in fact they detected a fraud on my card and we caught it in time with no charges held against me.

Available Rates
not the cheapest rate but not the higest. this will be of no concern if you pay it off every month which is necessary to really benefit from any rewards program.

Upromise Cards are Worth it if You are Diligent With Them

from Fairfield, VA

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

Upromise can be very helpful, even somewhat lucrative-if you are diligent to use the card, coupons, and everything else Upromise offers to accumulate rewards. I have not seen a Upromise card from any bank that has a good interest rate, so I wouldn't run a balance at all, just keep a balance long enough for the rewards to be posted. If you start using this card several years before you cash in on rewards to use for college or paying down loans, it is somewhat rewarding. Its one more way you feel more responsible about saving for the future or paying off student loan debt.

No complaints yet!

Available Rates
Interest Rates are Exorbitant (so only charge what you can pay off monthly)

• Available Rates:

This reviews consists of two reviews, BofA and UPromise.

from Riverside, CA

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

First the UPromise program is great for earning money back on using your BofA card and other things like shopping online. I haven't earned very much in a three year period but I haven't taken full advantage or gotten all my family to join. I have the account allocated 50% for my two kids. They are no where near college age so if I continue to use my grocery cards (ralphs, vons, etc.), shopping online, add some family members and use other features I will be able to save money for college. Also considering using their Sallie Mae high interest savings account to link with the UPromise account. They also offer a 529k savings account.

The reason I chose to review this card is because I wanted to review BofA! I was with UPromise when it was still using CitiBank. They decided to switch to BofA. I had a $2000 limit at that time. Like a lot of people, my husband and I were struggling and living off our credit cards. By the time BofA took over we hadn't had any late payments for awhile and we always payed more than our minimums. After about a year with BofA we came into some money and were finally able to pay a large chunk of our balance. After making that payment and expecting that money to be there the following month because I was having my 2nd baby and moving and needed that security they lowered my limit to $1100. I know we owed that money and that it was not illegal for them to do this to keep their losses down, but I felt robbed, insecure and angry. I felt like this was an unethical practice. We couldn't get rid of the card so we kept it. A year later, we just paid the card off and planned on not touching it and they lowered my limit again to $500.

UPDATE: UPromise will once again be changing banks. Happy about that!

Available Rates
They would not lower my APR after not making late payments for over a year.

• Available Rates:

A great way to earn money for college!

from Millville, NJ

Comments about Bank of America - UPromise World MasterCard:

We don't carry a balance and use this card only on purchases and expenses we have during the month. But by putting car insurance, taxes and groceries on we have managed to earn well over $2,000 in the past seven years and every little bit helps!