Other Sunscreens:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85

Pros

Cons

Banana Boat Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85: Very effective

A few weeks ago while recuperating from a hospital stay, friends invited us down to Key West for some R&R. If there's a better place to recuperate I'm not aware of...Read complete review

A few weeks ago while recuperating from a hospital stay, friends invited us down to Key West for some R&R. If there's a better place to recuperate I'm not aware of it.

For years while living in South Florida I've been deeply tanned because much of my work was outdoors. A light duty sunscreen seemed all I needed to keep my skin moist and protected. It has been years since I've had a painful sunburn.

Well on our stay on Key West I realized it's been quite a while since I've spent more than minimal time exposed to the sun. I got burned badly.

My friend recommended I use Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 during the rest of our stay. I used it everyday for the remainder of the trip and can report it really did its job. I was able to enjoy the rest of our stay without worsening my sunburn. In fact, it helped let the burn heal even while I was in the sun.

Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 has a very pleasant scent that dissipates shortly after it's applied.

Absorption
Although Banana Boat advertises this as a "no rub" spray, I found it was absorbed a little faster when I rubbed it into my skin.

Longevity
I found that on a normal day only one application was necessary. If engaged in heavy activity I probably would recommend re-application every 2 hours. Banana Boat claims it will stand up to 80 minutes of swimming. I didn't swim much, but found that I didn't need any special re-application.

I had always been of the belief that SPFs above 15 were all marketing hype. But I have to give Banana Boat kudos for the way Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 babied my skin and didn't allow the sun to do any more painful damage. This is a sunscreen I'd recommend to any fair-skinned person. It will make your stay in a sun-filled destination much more comfortable.

Ease of Application
As a continuous wide spray mist, Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 is very easy to apply, even if you have to do a little rubbing to get it into all those hard to reach places. For you face, spray your palms, rub them together and then apply by hand to your face to avoid getting it in your eyes.

Banana Boat Sport Performance Protects for a High Price

Sunscreens are a regularly purchased item in my home and for good reason. Living near the Gulf of Mexico, we experience hot weather and blue, sunny skies for a good part of the year. And while the sun is nice to see, it can also cause some serious skin damage if not kept in check. One product that is made to block out the sun’s rays nearly to completion is Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85.

Sunscreen Facts and Commentary:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 is a little different than the average sunscreen. It is not a lotion- style sunscreen, but rather a spray, which makes it easier to apply. It is sold in a smaller bottle than others and is priced higher than most. And it offers a very high level of SPF for a good deal of UV protection.

Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 is a useful product for blocking the harmful rays of the sun and among its qualities, the one that will convince most people to try it for the first time is its ease of application. There is no messy lotion to squeeze out and spread around. This product is a spray, so all you have to do is press the button and apply a thin coating. It dries quickly and prepares you for a day out in the bright sun.

Sun protection is important in our household, but 85 SPF is probably more than most people need, even though I will be the first to agree that the protection does work and works pretty well, for a long period of time, before requiring a second treatment. It is generally sweat proof as well and I like that it dries reasonably fast. The cost is a tad much, however, and this alone will discourage some from trying, as there are other sunscreens that work about as well and cost less.

My Bottom Line:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 works and it is easy to apply, but its protection level is more than necessary and its price too high. A single bottle does last very long either, so when all factors are weighed, I can only rate this product average overall.

Scent is mild and many will not even notice

Absorption
It does absorb quickly, which is good.

Longevity
It lasts for many hours.

This product is good at blocking the suns rays, but it is probably stronger than necessary.

Ease of Application
Its best quality is the ease of application, Just spray it on and you're ready to go.

Great sunscreen when you're out on the water!

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 an an excellent choice when you're out on the water all day. I spend a lot of time on the water in the summer and really need a sunscreen that will be able to protect me against the reflection of the sun's ray off the water. I love this sunscreen. First, it is very easy to apply. It takes a fraction of the time to apply as compared to the lotion equivalent of this sunscreen. Second, the coverage and protection of this sunscreen is phenomenal. I am able to spend all day on the water, apply this sunscreen a couple of times throughout the day, and my skin does not burn. I am very happy with the results of Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85. It provides me with the protection that I need when I am out on the water. It feels light on my skin and it does not stain my clothing. I am very happy with this sunscreen!

Absorption
Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 absorbs really well.

This product offers me significant protection against the sun's rays.

• Ease of Application:

Good for touch up applications.

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

Banana Boat is a brand that has been around for years. I remember my mom buying this brand as a kid. Over time, they have come out with several different versions. This is another one of those products. Basically this is a spray on type sun screen, which makes is super easy to apply. The major downfall to this, is that when you spray you often don't get a good coat in several spots. And since this sunscreen sprays on clear, it's even more difficult to know where you need to spray. Another downside is that it doesn't last as long as lotion sunscreens. When I'm going to be in the sun all day, I will always apply the lotion version, and then keep this can handy to quickly reapply midday, just in case. I wouldn't recommend using this a your primary method of sunscreen.
Overall, a good product to keep around, but definitely keep to the lotions for adequate protection.

It has a pleasent scent. Not overly strong.

Absorption
It absorbs quickly. Maybe a little too quickly. It's hard to tell where you sprayed sometimes.

Longevity
It's hard to tell how long this lasts. I never used it by itself (read above).

It's effective as long as you cover the area well.

Ease of Application
This is the best feature of this product. Super easy to apply and use.

• Ease of Application:

Don't use if you need major protection.

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

I think that the Banana Boat Sport Performance Spray Suncreen might be great if you're going to be outside with some shade and if you aren't prone to burning. However, if you're going to be in full sun all day and you are the least bit fair-skinned, I would use something a bit more robust.

It smells pretty good, similar to other sunscreens.

Absorption
This sunscreen seems to absorb pretty quickly, it's just not heavy enough to really do what it needs to.

Longevity
I think this is the Achilles heel of this product. It just doesn't last, especially if you're sweating. It seems to just sweat right off and needs to be reapplied a lot more often than you would think.

In full sun, I would say that this product is not at all effective. In the shade for minor protection, it would probably be okay.

Ease of Application
The spray is supposed to be easy to apply, but it just blows away in the breeze. I certainly prefer the lotion because you can make sure it gets everywhere you want.

• Ease of Application:

I would use this time and time again.

from Nazareth, pa

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

I personally use the Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen for myself. I have very sensitive skin and I burn very easily. My mother used to buy this for me when I played softball and I never had any issues with it wearing off or getting burnt.

This is one of the better smelling sunscreens I have tried. I hate the smell of all sunscreens but this one is the most tolerable for me to use personally.

Absorption
I spray this on and rub it in real quick and I am good to go. It turns clear as soon as it is absorbed.

Longevity
I would put on one application of this sunscreen before a softball game and I would be good the entire time. Through the sweat and heat and spilling water I never had to reapply this sunscreen.

I burn rather easily (irish heritage). And as long as I put this on when I first go out and make sure I reapply every few hours I have never burned while using it.

Ease of Application
I love that you just spray this on and rub it in. There is no getting lotion all over your hands and having an uneven application. It is always even because it is a continuous spray which is fantastic.

easy to use

from IN

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

I purchased Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF85 for a summer trip to Disney World. If you have ever been a visitor in Florida in July, you know it is extremely hot! I decided to give the spray on lotion a try for the convenience of just spraying and going. With three children to apply the sunscreen to, spraying was such a time saver! No greasy, white mess on my hands, or their clothing. We were able to spray and within a few seconds, the sunscreen was absorbed and we were off. There is a light, pleasant odor, it was not overpowering and it did not stay on my skin, as the lotion dissipated into my skin, the scent also left. It claimed to be waterproof for an hour and half, and although we were not swimming or actually participating in sports, I did reapply every 2 hours, as we were sweating a lot. Even after several hours in the scorching sun, we were not burnt, this lotion really did protect us very well.

Great Sunscreen

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

We have a jet ski down at the local reservoir and go out on our friend's boat all summer long. So having a good sunscreen is very important. Banana Boat and Coppertone are my two favorites when it comes to the spray cans of sunscreen. With this particular sunscreen I usually apply it once when we get to the lake and then midway through the day. After swimming and riding around on the water all day I am worried that it comes of so I make sure to reapply since I have fair skin and burn easily. This sunscreen offers me full protection and I have tanned with regular use of this sunscreen but it has done its primary job in keeping me from getting burned. I prefer the spray to the lotion because I hate the feeling left behind on my hand from the lotion, the spray dries up quickly after application without that greasy feel. This can is a good value too because it can accommodate numerous people for about a week.

Doesn't have much of one

• Ease of Application:

One of the better spray on sunscreens

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

Banana Boat is absolutely one of my preferred sun screen brands and this product is actually pretty good for the most part. It definitely makes for quick sun protection if you're in a rush.

Sadly this product was a bit lacking in the signature Banana Boat smell of tropical goodness. It was still there but it was also very alcoholic smelling. I think this is just something you have to accept with spray sunscreen, the formula doesn't really work without something to thin it down.

Absorption
I liked how quickly this sunscreen absorbed, it definitely makes for a fast and convenient spray down at the beach when your kids are itching to get back to playing.

For a sunscreen that's supposed to be SPF 85 I thought I'd be getting really superior coverage and protection but it doesn't seem to work any better than spray lotions of lower SPFs.

Ease of Application
I don't use this one myself because it gets tricky to spray areas on your own body but I think its really easy to use for spraying down someone else.

• Ease of Application:

Not my favorite, but it was better than nothing.

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

If you have no other choice except to get a sunburn, then I would say to use this product. I usually like Banana Boat sunscreens and after sun gels, but this didn't meet my expectations. I was really wanting to try a spray on sunscreen, so I bought this to use at my kids baseball games. It has a nice lock feature on the dispenser, but that is the only thing I like about his product. It was greasy, and had an aerosol smell to it, so that you couldn't quickly put it on in the car, or else you risk coughing uncontrollably. It did prevent severe sunburn, so it wasn't a total loss. I found that we had to spray it on, and then rub it in to make sure we had coverage. If I wanted to rub in, I would have bought a sunscreen lotion.

This was the worst part about it. I normally like the smell of sunscreen. It reminds me of fun summer days, and playing with friends. But this was a nasty aerosol smell.

Absorption
It only absorbed after we rubbed it in, and that was the only way we got good coverage.

Longevity
This is supposed to be a long lasting product. My kids would sweat it off playing baseball/ t-ball.

Where we put the sunscreen we didn't get sunburned.

Ease of Application
Pushing a button to spray on sunscreen is supposed to be an ideal way of putting this on. But you can' spray your face, so you have to spray it onto your hands to rub onto the face. This leaves a greasy feeling on your hands. For good coverage, you have to rub it in.

Banana Boat Sport Spray Sunscreen

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

I bought this method of sunscreen from Banana Boat because I love their products. I got this spray because I was looking for a way to apply sunscreen to areas I could not reach effectively with my hands. The container is a comfortable size to carry with you or to pack in a suitcase when traveling. The spray itself is effective as a sun block but I found it was very difficult to aim the spray to my upper middle back area. The spray went every place except the middle of my back. I discovered if you got any of the sunscreen on your hands while using the spray container, it was difficult to hold onto the container as you pushed on the spray button. I think it would be nice if the company included a directional tube for hard to reach areas. The areas I did manage to get covered with the spray was effective in preventing sunburn. The scent of the sunscreen is pleasant and does not overpower or clash with any other scent you might be wearing. The spray lasted a long time with coverage. I found I did not have to apply as often as I would have with other sunscreens. The one drawback I did notice was the absorption factor was slow.

Not my favorite sunscreen

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85:

I used this sunscreen when I was on vacation with my family last summer, since it was the sunscreen one of my family members liked to use. I think it made my skin feel oily, and it did not have the greatest scent to it. Although it was convenient to apply in the spray can, Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 85 is not one I would recommend.

When I used this sunscreen, I did not get burned at all. I also didn't have to apply it multiple times throughout the day, which is always something I look for in sunscreen.

I didn't really notice a strong scent with this sunscreen. It wasn't strong enough to bother me at all.

Absorption
This didn't really seem to absorb into my skin. It felt like it made my skin feel very oily!

I didn't get burned at all when I used this sunscreen, so I think it works well.

Ease of Application
This is very easy to apply. All you do is point the can where you want the sunscreen and apply it. This type of can makes it easier, in my opinion, to put sunscreen on the harder to reach places.