Other Misc. Personal Cares:
Bag Balm
Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment

Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment

Bag Balm: Excellent on dry irritated hands and feet

About 12 years ago I took the advice of a friend of mine and purchased Bag Balm in a farm supply store in Columbus New Jersey.  Initially, I used it almost exclusively on my hands.  Working with chemicals as I do (some of them quite harsh), my hands get dry, cracked and irritated.  Honestly, I've become accustomed to their condition, but of course the Mrs. hasn't. When dressing in a suit and tie she would always comment on the condition of the skin on my hands.

So, I figured it was worth it to give this product a try.  Originally, Bag Balm was exclusively an agricultural product used by dairy farmers to condition the dried, cracked udders of their cows.

Essentially, Bag Balm consists of l- Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate 0.3% in a Petrolatum & Lanolin Base.  Since it was produced for livestock not much attention has been paid to consumer aesthetics and preferences such as texture, scent, etc.

**My Use**

On a regular basis (several times a week), I'll take a small dab of balm and rub it into my palms and fingers over a period of minutes.  The balm is not especially well absorbed by the skin and I generally wipe off any excess in order not to have greasy hands.

On those occasions when I have spent several days in the lab exposed to harsh chemicals, I rub a somewhat more generous amount into my hands at bedtime and then put on a pair of cotton gloves, allowing the balm to do its magic over night.

Living in South Florida I tend to wear sandals and Crocs often and suffer from dried skin and cracked heals from time-to-time.  I find that using Bag Balm on my feet before bedtime and then covering my feet with cotton socks is helpful in softening the skin and aids in the healing of my cracked heals.

**What I like**

It's awfully hard to argue with success.  The regular use of Bag Balm on both my hands and feet have produced favorable results I've achieved with no other skin conditioners.  One would have no idea of the abuse to which my hands are regularly exposed.

**What I don't like**

Although it has gained wide acceptance as a balm to be used by humans, it remains an agricultural product.  While its odor is less than noxious, it cannot be described as pleasant.  Some would-be users may find it too greasy for their taste.  I certainly would like it more if it were absorbed more completely into the skin.

**My Viewpoint**

For my particular purpose I find that Bag Balm works better at keeping my hands and feet conditioned than anything else I've tried.  Is it for you?  You'll only be able to answer by trying it.  Bag Balm can now routinely be found in consumer oriented stores.

Rudi

This is a highly effective formula. It was designed originally to provide relief to cracked cows udders which are considerably more stressed than my cracked heals and rough irritated hands.

Ease of Application
Application is similar to that of petroleum jelly. Absorption could be better.

If there's a weak point of this product it's the funky smell of the balm.

Bag the Balm!

My mother gave me a jar of Bag Balm about twelve years ago and it is still collecting dust in the back of my bathroom closet. Evidently it is supposed to work wonders on cows teats but I never could get used to using it on my hands or feet!

I actually attempted to use Bag Balm on several occasions when I was struggling with extremely dry and cracked skin. I did find that it helped reduce the dry skin but it has such an oily greasy feel to it.

Ease of Application
My biggest complaint about Bag Balm is the packaging of the product. Bag Balm comes in a square tin which has a lid that is difficult to open. I also found that when I stored the Bag Balm on my bathroom sink, it left rust spots on the vanity. This product is not easy to apply. It is extremely thick and greasy and makes a huge mess when attempting to use it on your skin.

I absolutely hate the smell of Bag Balm! It has a strong medicine odor which is not at all pleasant. I would never recommend this product to anyone. It does help with dry skin, but I have found that plain old Vaseline petroleum jelly is just as effective and you do not have to put up with the terrible foul smell, or the thick sticky consistency of the balm.

Bag the Balm!

from Stoughton, Wi

Bag Balm - For Dry Skin Anywhere

from Grand Rapids, MN

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

Original Bag Balm is the "bomb" treatment for super dry skin. This is a very versatile product. It can be used on rough, dry, fissured hands and is still gentle enough to use as a diaper rash ointment on a newborn baby's bottom.

Bag Balm penetrates deep into cuts, cracks and fissures on hands and feet. The moisturizing texture is perfect for getting through tough callouses on heels and toes. Bag Balm helps to moisturize and repair those injured and vulnerable areas.

Ease of Application
The very thing that makes Bag Balm work so well leads to its main problem with ease of application - that is its greasy, ointment texture. It is hard to rub in. With that being said, that is also why it is so effective as a diaper rash ointment, because it makes a really good barrier between that soft skin and what else can be found in a baby's diaper.

Original Bag Balm does not have much of a scent, but the scent it does have is a little medicine-like in nature. Even though it is definitely made for use by people of any age, the scent will always remind me of newborn babies.

Bag Balm The Original

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

I don't normally advertise that I use moisturizers but having lived in Nevada and now Central Florida it doesn't matter because I believe more people should. As I got older, I noticed the damage from all the years i spent in the sun in Nevada and for the last few years Florida. Bag balm is the best choice for me as it seems to do the best job without all of the weird scents. It's great for general facial moisturizing and I use it on my elbows, feet, hands, and knees. It works great although i recommend using socks when putting on the feet.

It works great for me. It keeps my skin hydrated and much healthier .

Ease of Application
It doesn't get any easier. You rub it on the area you want moisturized. This is a product you should use regularly to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy.

I really love this stuff because I don't notice the scent when it's on. That's a huge plus for me. There is nothing worse than a floral scent on my skin.

Great for dry/cracked feet!

from Kansas

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

I had completely forgotten about this product until I just saw it on here. I grew up in a rural area in Missouri and I swear everybody owned a can of this. This salve was originally used on cow udders. But don't worry it is perfectly fine for humans to use also.

My parents used Bag Balm for everything. The uses ranged from: treating burns, dry skin, pimples, soothing pet paws, softening cuticles, and my favorite, moisturizing your feet. I would faithfully rub some of this product on my feet before bed, and then put socks on. In the morning, my feel would be incredibly soft. I'm not actually sure why I stopped that routine. This product works well at treating dry skin on your body as well, especially in the winter. The problem with Bag Balm is the scent. It is okay when you put it on your feet then place socks on. But, for example if you wanted to rub it on your elbows you are going to smell stinky for a few hours. If you don't mind the scent though, I highly recommend keeping this product around in the winter for all your dry skin problems.

This product has been around for so long for a reason. It is effective at what it claims to do. This will moisturize your skin amazingly.

Great for a variety of uses

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

I first discovered this product when we were having a goofy conversation about life on the farm during one of my chorus rehearsals. One of the ladies swore it was the best moisturizer out there. I kind of laughed about it and didn't give it a second thought until she brought a package of it in the next week to show all of us how wonderful it was. She was right. This product keeps your skin well hydated and moisturized and dry up crazy patches. I thought nothing would take care of my elbows in the winter but this did the trick!

I get horribly dry skin in the winter, especially my hands and elbows and have been searching for the most effective product for a long time. Bag Balm is it. It provides the most amount of moisture for the longest amount of time without getting a greasy feeling.

Ease of Application
It is extremely easy to reach into the tin with your fingers and apply to whatever area needs moisture.

The only down side to this product is that the smell is not very appealing. It wasn't designed to be pretty and appealing. It was designed to moisturize and that it does. The good thing is that the scent doesn't linger but the moisture does.

Bag Balm The Original

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

Bag Balm The Original, has been around for as long as I can remember. I have found this product to be very versatile and I have used it for more things than I can remember. This product is an awesome moisturizer for those cold, harsh Winter months, when your skin can become easily dried out. I have used this Bag Balm on my chapped lips, my very dry, reddened hands and have gotten great results. This product works very well on cracked and dry feet, heels. It absorbs well and doesn't stain clothing or bed sheets. The container is a little difficult to open for someone who has arthritis in their hands. The scent can be a little "medicinal" smelling, but it is not over powering or unpleasant. A little bit of this bag balm goes a very long way, so it makes for a very economical moisturizer in the long run. I have even used this product as a deep moisturizing hair masque. I have added this product to my "at home spa" basket and now use it year round. It is great for sunburns also.

All in one cream for everyone

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

Sometimes living in the country can have its perks, and learning about Bag Balm at a young age is one of those perks. Bag Balm was developed to rub on chapped cow udders, but don't let that turn you off, this rich ointment is fantastic for chapped skin of any type. It is gentle enough to use on babies, but a great item to keep around your house for anything.

I love to use this when my skin is really chapped and sore in the winter, since I am prone to a rare form of eczema, many commercial brands will actually make my condition worse. Bag Balm will sooth and moisturize without a chemical reaction.

We use it on our dog's pads if he starts licking, and it is safe! Vets. Recommend it for itchy spots and lesions. It is economical too, your tin of Bag Balm will last for months, a little bit will smooth right in your skin and last. It is a scent that reminds me of my childhood, and I keep a tin nearby for my kids.

How soothing and healing, even for tattooed skin

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

I love this product. It's super emollient and applies well. It keeps forever.

My tattoo artist originally suggested Bag Balm for use on a fresh tattoo, to keep it hydrated and protected while it healed. It worked wonderfully.

Ease of Application
A little goopy on the application. I would have preferred a spatula or spoon of some sort to get it out of the tin, it seems a bit unsanitary but my reasons were more than soothing dry, irritated skin.

I won't lie, it's not my favorite.

Soothes chapped skin

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

I grew up in Vermont, where Bag Balm is a remedy for pretty much every skin ailment, from dry skin to burns to scrapes. Despite using it frequently as a child, I had pretty much forgotten about it until I saw it online and decided to buy a can, in hopes that it would improve the skin on my hands, which suffer from a combination of winter dryness and chemical sensitivity. While it wasn't quite the panacea I'd hoped for, it has definitely improved the dryness and made my hands feel softer.

I put Bag Balm on my hands and feet before bed, and it soothes my chapped skin and help heal and protect it while I sleep.

Ease of Application
Bag Balm is very easy to apply, just scoop a bit out of the tin with your finger and rub it in. My main gripes are that I tend to end up with Bag Balm under my fingernails and I have to keep rubbing until it's fully absorbed, which can take a little while because it's quite thick.

Bag Balm has a pretty strong scent, which reminds me of tar (not surprising, since it's base is petroleum jelly). For that reason, I prefer to use it overnight, rather than during the day.

Go to for everything

Comments about Bag Balm Vermont's Original Protective Ointment:

OK, this was the automatic fix it for everything when I was growing up. I had an uncle that was a dairy farmer, and he introduced us to it before it was the "in thing" on the market. Now as a parent I use it all the time. It is my cure for chapped lips, diaper rash, dry cuticles and many other things. I find it more gentle on the skin then even some of the diaper rash creams. I have very sensitive skin, and my children have inherited that as well, I love that I can trust this for their soft skin. I buy the big tin, and divide it up into individual purposes so I am not crossing germs as much as possible. Most recently I learned I could use it in place of vaseline to help moisten the inside of my daughters nose to help prevent nose bleeds. Amazing product.

It does have its own unique smell, but it is not to strong. I only rate it a little lower because I have probably gotten used to it, I am usually sensitive to smells, but this one does not bother me.

Absorption
It sort of works like Vaseline. It does not absorb right away, but you have to use sparingly, which helps with cost.

Best thing ever for just about any purpose.