Other Sunscreens:

Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen

Pros

Cons

great protection

After reading a study released a few years ago about the toxic break-down products and general lack of protection provided by major brand sunscreens, I tried a handful of natural products. Badger's products in general work very well, and the sunscreen was no exception. It is a little greasy for my taste, and the smell is a bit off-putting, but you can't argue with the sun protection. I was out playing volleyball and swimming for hours on an August afternoon, and no sunburn to show for it.

Works well, but way too thick

I've been using Badger sunscreen for about a week now and it works wonderfully.  No burns to speak of.  My complaints are the fact that it's so thick, I have a fine glossy shine on my face all day.  That and I smell like a spice rack.  Granted the smell goes away after a little while, but the shine lasts all day long.

Love This

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I discovered Badger Sunscreen about a year ago when I was on a search for more natural sunblock options that weren't loaded with toxic chemicals, such as parabens, preservatives, phthalates and PEGs. I had almost given up hope when I came across Badger Sunscreen. I was already familiar with and using Badger Bug Block to repel mosquitoes and was quite pleased. So far, I have loved Badger Sunscreen just as well. This stuff is strong and effective yet gentle on my skin. I use it on my children who are 2 and 9 months as well. I also apply it to my face and have not had any breakouts or reactions like with many other conventional sunscreens.

I like the smell. It is natural yet not too strong

Absorption
Pretty thick stuff, but I feel like it's actually protecting my skin from UV rays

Longevity
It's a good idea to reapply after sweating or being in the water, but it has a longer lifespan than many other sunscreens.

Never had a burn while using it

Ease of Application
Easy to use and easy to apply

Fantastic!!

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

In our family we like to make the most of summer in New England and spend most of our time outside and a lot of it at the beach. It has always been important to me to foster a love of the outdoors in my kids from an early age. But I also want to protect them in every way I can, including from the sun. After reading one too many articles about the ineffectiveness of conventional sunscreens, not to mention the dangerous chemicals many of them contain, I started talking to everyone I could think of about better options. When my pediatrician told me that she really liked and trusted Badger (enough that it was all she used on her own kids) I decided to check it out. I asked the woman at my local health food store what it was about Badger that she thought made it so special and she told me that one of the biggest advantages was that it doesn't absorb onto the skin nearly as much as conventional sunscreen, but stays on the skin so there is less risk of absorbing it into the body. And because Badger is made with all natural ingredients you don't have to worry about absorbing chemicals either way. The first time I used the Badger I did notice that it was very thick and I initially worried that it would be hard to rub in. But it isn't at all. It actually goes on quite well and as long as you smooth out any globs you don't see it at all after a minute or two. I have very sensitive skin and started using Badger on my daughter when she was six months old. I have never had any of us, including my very fair skinned step-daughter get burned, even on days when the kids are in and out of the water constantly and I am not as quick to reapply the sunscreen as I should be.

It doesn't smell wonderful but it isn't bad.

Ease of Application
Requires a little bit more rubbing, not much more than any other sunscreen though.

• Ease of Application:

Perfect for sensitive skin & eczema

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

Badger Balm Sunscreen not only protects my toddlers skin from the sun, it winds up softening and their keratosis pilaris completely goes away. I highly recommend this product.

I don't prefer the lavender scent but Badger makes a few different varieties that are bit more pleasant.

Absorption
acceptable since the performance is so great.

Longevity
Lasts a whole day! We would lube up our little guys before we went out in the morning and it would stay on no matter how much they sweat!

Perfect! We have used this while on vacation in Florida and our boys have extremely pale skin. Even with sweat and all the elements at work, this product kept our boys completely protected.

Ease of Application
The application of anything is never easy with my toddler twins, but overall I like that you can see the white in the zinc so I know where I have applied it, and can tell if I missed any spots. The little bit of extra time it takes to really rub it in is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Works Well, But Greasy and Gritty

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I bought this sunscreen for my then 14-month old because I wanted a natural product to use on her young skin. We have used other Badger products (like their bug balm, which we love) so I chose this over other natural and organic brands. It is quite expensive, but on a baby it goes a long way. The coverage was good, although we don't keep her out in the sun long, even with sunscreen. We have used it on her out in the full sun for an hour or so at a time and she has never been burned. The whiteness of the zinc lets you see where you are putting it so there are no missed spots, but unless you rub and rub and rub your child will look a little ghostly until it is absorbed. The thing I did not like about this product was our tube seemed to separate a bit (oily) and had a gritty texture. So I found myself having to rub it well in my hands to mix it up and rub down the grit before putting it on my daughter. And even then there would be flecks of grit on her. Also, it seems like it never fully absorbs, so even after playing and getting in the water she felt greasy and gross. Had to give her a bath after playing in the pool.

• Ease of Application:

Great natural sunscreen without added chemicals!

from Winchendon, MA

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I have had several pre-cancerous spots removed and my dermatologist recommended I look for a natural sunscreen as the chemicals in some sunscreens have been linked to the growth of cancer cells. In my search for a natural product Badger keep popping up with good reviews, so I purchased some to try. So far I love it, it has a pleasant smell and goes on smoothly. Its a bit thicker than traditional sunscreens and does go on white but fades quickly so its not noticeable. It does say it needs to be reapplied often (every 40 minutes) but I'm willing to make the trade off of applying more often for a natural product that I know is not causing me potential health problems. I've since bought several more tubes of Badger sunscreen (including a face lotion with sunscreen in it and one for young babies that smells fantastic) and use it for my whole family. It has worked well and we have yet to burn so it has been effective for us. I do recommend it!

Non-toxic

from New York, NY

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I bought this based on EWG's review. Badger has scored pretty high on the safe index. It's mineral based, so it's actually pretty good in protecting my skin without the chemicals. The texture is pretty heavy and think. Actually it's stickier than the other non-toxic brands. The bottle itself is pretty small, only about 4oz. It is about the same price as the other "safer" brands, but more expensive than your regular Coppertone brands. I use this on my kids' skin and don't have to worry about the chemicals. You have to really rub the cream in, in order to get rid of the white film. I believe all mineral sunscreen will just give you a white layer anyways. It covers for a couple of hours, but I haven't tried it on the beach / pool. I don't know how water proof this is. But so far I'm happy. I have used BurnOut before too and I think Badger is a littler cheaper (from Amazon). It is a nice alternative to BurnOut.

Love this stuff

from Pleasant Grove, UT

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I'm pretty picky about the products my family uses. Especially in sunscreen. I love this badger stuff! I think it does take some getting used to. These physical blocks to leave a white film, but it does go away after a few minutes. You also have to rub it in really well. Sometimes that is hard on the little ones, but I don't know any way around it. For me it is worth the peace of mind knowing that there are no harmful chemicals entering my childs skin.
These are a little pricey, but if you hunt around you can find bargains here and there. They have a lavender scented one that I LOVE!
Anyway, I would highly recommend this sunscreen to anyone out there!

Amazing sunscreen-non-greasy

from Iowa

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

My family loves this sunscreen. The smell is not overbearing and the it is not super oily or greasy. It seems like it does an excellent job of protecting one's skin from the sun and sunburn and it lasts for a long time in the outdoors and in the water. A little goes a long way, so you can use sparingly. It is also very easy to rub into the skin-it doesn't sit there and leave a film like some of the other brands tend to do.

Absorption
It is easily absorbed into the skin.

Fantastically effective sunscreen

from Memphis, TN

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I am a very pale person who burns very easily. I also like the outdoors, and not turning bright red or purple. Before I spend all day on the river, I apply Badger SPF 30 and allow it to absorb (more info below). This provides a base for me, and since I've started using Badger, I have not experienced any burns.

Absorption
You've got to apply this when your skin is dry, or else it looks like you've smeared white greasepaint all over yourself. I recommend applying it before you go out on a boat or into the water.

Great all-purpose cream

Comments about Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen:

I put on this sunscreen whenever I go outside. It absorbs well, smells great and doesn't leave thick white streaks like most other sunscreens do. It offers great overall protection for me and my kids, but you have to remember to reapply every 2 hours.