Other Baby Carriers:

BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier

Pros

Cons

• Parents' Comfort:

great for hands-free carrying, but only in short doses

The Baby Bjorn was a life saver for me after the birth of my son. After my husband went back to work and my mother went back home to Chicago (we live in New York City), the Bjorn allowed me to get things done around the house without having to strap the baby in the stroller all the time. Specifically, it was great when doing laundry and other household chores while still allowing the baby to be close to my body. Also, I take public transportation everywhere and the Bjorn was infinitely easier than dealing with the stroller on the subway.

One major drawback to the Bjorn is that it really started to hurt my back after a while. I suppose this had something to do with the fact that I was often toting my large diaper bag and had my dog in tow as well, but it was disappointing nonetheless. I have heard that the active model is more supportive for the back, but I didn't want to invest in it since I'd already purchased the original.

Bad on the back

I have a bad back, so this might have impacted my low score of the Baby Bjorn.

I have a bad back, so this might have impacted my low score of the Baby Bjorn.

We have two baby carriers: the Tri-Cotti and the Baby Bjorn. The Tri-Cotti is made of soft jersey fabric, so it does stretch. And my husband refuses to wear it. So we got the Baby Bjorn for him. He likes it! I tried it a few times and after 10-20 minutes it felt like my back was about to break. I still use it for short intervals or to nurse while shopping, although that is not nearly as easy as with the Tri-Cotti. What I do like about it is that it's easy to put on and take off. If the baby falls asleep and you're at home, it's easy to lay her down and un hook everything without waking her up.

I use my Tri-Cotti every day, though. And in the beginning, when she was tiny, it was perfect for us. I was able to put her in it in a horizontal position and let her nurse while doing a few things around the house. I don't think I put her down the first 3 months of her life! I wish they were available in the US. I would highly suggest a sling of any kind, though. It makes a big difference in comfort for you and your baby.

Good Luck!

Comfortable

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

I acquired the BabyBjorn Infant Carrier second-hand and it was in very good condition. This infant carrier allows for the child to be rear and forward facing and is comfortable for both parties. When I wear it I feel that my child is safe and secure inside. One drawback is that there are many straps and connections to adjust. It can be intimidating at first, but once you adjust it to fit on a few occasions it becomes second-nature. There are many infant carriers on the market and I would recommend this one for its comfort. The color and style is plain, which make it suitable for both Moms and Dads to use. I am able to carry my 3 month old son comfortably inside for several hours. It is machine washable and durable. The price is reasonable in comparison to similar infant carriers. I would recommend this infant carrier to parents who are shopping for a hands-free method to transport their child.

Great Chest Carrier

Profile Image

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

I love these style carriers over the wraps. I just do not feel comfortable with the wrap style.I am always afraid it will come undone and I will drop my baby. The BabyBjorn carrier has clips that secure the baby in place. It is much safer and gives me piece of mind when using it. My baby loves to be held all the time but then I can not get anything done.This carrier allows me to do the chores that I need to without having to put my daughter down. She gets so comfortable in it that she falls asleep. It offers full support to her body, head, and neck. I am able to place her in it facing me when using it around the house. I put her in it facing forward so that she can see what is going on when we go out and about. I love the versatility of this carrier. It is also fully machine washable. I just toss the entire thing into the washing machine and then dryer and it comes out looking like new. The straps for me are adjustable to make it as comfortable as possible on my back. The material is very soft seems very durable. I would definitely recommend one of these to any other mom.

Safety
Has clips to keep baby in place.

• Parents' Comfort:

Good padded carrier but not a great fit for chubby legs

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

The BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier is a padded, comfortable ride for a baby. My son was about three months old when I started using this carrier with him. He is a very fussy baby and often needs held in order to calm down. I have an older child that I need to take care of so I needed a safe, comfortable carrier option for my infant. The BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier is the perfect solution for my baby. The material of this carrier is soft against my baby's sensitive skin and it contains plenty of padding to provide him with a comfortable ride. As my baby grows, I do notice that his chubby thighs do not fit as well as they used to in the leg openings. I wish the leg openings of the BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier were a bit larger to accommodate chubbier legs. Overall, I am happy with this purchase and recommend this product to other parents. It helps keep your baby close while freeing up your hands to complete other tasks.

Baby's Comfort
The leg openings could be larger.

Did not like it at all!

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

I tried to use the Baby Bjorn and could not get comfortable using it. I tried adjusting the straps multiple times but my baby's weight kept accumulating at my shoulder, causing neck and shoulder tension. The only reason why I gave the Bjorn a 4 instead of a 1 is because my husband loved it! He used it for both children and was able to take them on walks using this carrier. Also, each baby did fall asleep in it. My husband said that it was super comfortable for him and he never complained of back, neck, or shoulder pain and he used it until each baby was close to a year.

Safety
As long as you read the directions carefully and put on the straps correctly, your baby will be safe. We practiced on a stuff animal before trying it out on our first baby. Once my husband got the hang of it, he was able to set up the carrier with the baby in it fairly quickly.

Personally, I thought there wasn't enough padding in the straps and the harness was not able to be fitted correctly for me (I'm 5'2, 125 lbs). Also, there is no way for the baby to be shaded in the carrier so we had to put hats on our children when we took them out. Lastly, I never felt safe putting newborn to 2 month olds in the carrier. There is not enough neck support on the Bjorn to help the babies. We started using it when our kids were 3 months old until close to a year.

It lasted through both children as well as my friend's two children.

I love this carrier!

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

We bought the baby bjorn for my first born. We used it for a couple of months and then forgot about it. For my second born my husband pulled it out again and it quickly became my babies favorite thing. My husband carried our son around in this carrier for about 8 months. While it's probably not recommended, we couldn't get him out of this thing. I guess it was comforting to him to be so close to us. I couldn't carry him around for very long because my opinion it put too much of a strain on my back.

Safety
We never had a safety issues with the Bjorn. There are several different snaps and locks to assure baby's safety.

Baby's Comfort
I would say by baby was pretty comfortable in this. He frequently fell asleep just resting in the Bjorn.

Parents' Comfort
It was not very comfortable, especially as he got older. Even when he was newborn I did find that it hurt my back.

As mentioned before there are several locks so at first it was a little difficult to operate.

I like the design. I wish there were a way to ease the back discomfort a little. I do like the head part for newborns that it has.

Very durable. It help up to my 8 month old.

standard

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

The BabyBjorn Original Carrier does its job. I felt comfortable using it as soon as my baby was able to keep her neck up by herself. I used it mainly for grocery shopping, I had my hands free and was able to shop comfortably while pushing my cart. You can't use it too long though, the straps eventually dig into your shoulders; but for quick shopping trips, its great.

Safety
The Bjorn seems pretty safe. You lock it onto your body first, and then there are straps around the baby's legs and sides by his arms. You can fold the very top part by his head depending on if your baby is facing towards you or outwards. I have heard a few recent discussions that this carrier isn't good for newborns/under 3 months old, something about not being supportive enough in the neck area, but I never felt concerned using it.

Baby's Comfort
My children have always seemed comfortable in the Bjorn, and have all fallen asleep while being carried in it. I have wondered if their little legs would ever get pinched while hanging out of the leg openings, but never happened.

Parents' Comfort
Its okay to use for about an hour or so, but I wouldn't go beyond that. For this reason I kept it solely for grocery shopping, where I needed a hands free environment with my baby. I also have vacuumed with my baby strapped in as well!

There is a slight learning curve, but after a few times, you'll get it. You do feel rather silly trying to put the straps over your head in a parking lot, but its pretty easy to click into place.

Aside from cramped shoulders, the design seems to be comfortable for baby and mostly for parent. Its easier to carry your child around under six months old though. The older they get, the taller they get and heavier to heave around the house.

We got one as a hand-me-down from a friend, and continued to use it for three more children, and handed it down to my sister's child. Its machine washable and has held up with no wear or tear except for the fading of the color. Built to last for sure.

BabyBjorn carrier

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

I didn't have a baby carrier with my first two children, but someone gave this to me when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had never really wanted one, but all of my friends with children said they were great. I knew this was a nice brand, so I was excited to try it. It came with instructions, but I figured it would be simple, so I accidentally threw them away. After struggling with this for an hour, I called the company and asked them to mail me a new one. I got the instructions a few days later, but they didn't really make it any easier. This thing was so difficult to figure out. Once I did get in figured out, I wasn't even sure if it was right. I put my daughter in it, and she screamed like she was in pain. I took her out to double check everything, and it looked right. I tried to put her in it again. After a few minutes of screaming, she calmed down. We walked around the house to try it out, and I was very uncomfortable. I might would maybe recommend this to someone that has experience with using carriers and likes them, but it was difficult and uncomfortable to me.

love it!!

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

I use this product every single day of my life. I use it when im in my house and trying to get house work done. I use it for grocery shopping or just walking around. I have only one complaint about it, and that is that when the baby gets too heavy to hold on your chest and you start wearing baby on your back its difficult to get on and off without someone else helping you.

Great carrier

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

We were given this carrier when we had our twins from someone getting rid of all her baby things, so we started with this already having gone through a couple kids. If we hadn't already known this we would have sworn it was new, it's in such good condition even after multiple years of use.
It does a great job of holding the baby close and secure while not squishing or being to confining that they are uncomfortable. The back goes up high enough to offer head support so their head doesn't hang backwards and bob around. The padding is thick enough to provide some protection from cold and wind when it's cold, and offers enough air flow through the arm and leg slots in warm weather so they don't overheat.
The straps are sturdy and it is easy to find the perfect fit when putting it on after someone else wearing it. If this ever does break I will want a replacement because this is a great carrier.

• Parents' Comfort:

Lifesaver for an active lifestyle!

Comments about BabyBjorn Original Baby Carrier:

This was an amazing product to have on the go. We'd spend our weekends out at the beach or museums and it was easy to bring baby along. Adjustable, washable, lightweight, and easy to fold back up and put in the diaper bag, we loved having this. Baby would even fall asleep in it (especially on hikes). Highly recommend.

Safety
Has safety features to support head when necessary and give more freedom to baby as it grows. Durable material.

Baby's Comfort
My baby would often fall asleep when I put him in there, which was nice. Keeps him close for "kangaroo care". Has added support for head/neck when they're a newborn, then is very versatile as they grow, allowing them to face out, have the fabric away from their face so they can see, etc. Didn't notice any rubbing or chaffing on my baby when he was in it, even after hikes.

Parents' Comfort
Uses your back to carry the baby weight, even though baby is on the front. Straps don't cut into shoulders. Adjusts easily to change between parents (or other adults).

Read the instructions and figure it all out before you try it with baby, but once you learn how to use it, it feels like they thought of everything! They even have a way to take everything off without waking the baby up (didn't actually work for my baby, but he tended to wake up whenever I set him down, so I don't blame the design for that.