View more diaper pails

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Capacity:

Diaper Champ can handle Daycare diapers!!

**The Diaper Champ**

**The Diaper Champ**

When both of my kids were infants, I never had a diaper pail.  I would just walk the smelly diapers outside to the trash.   Now that I own a daycare, I would constantly be outside, as many diapers as I change.

I knew I wanted some sort of diaper pail but wasn't exactly sure which kind.  I read some reviews and compared products at the store and decided that the **Diaper Champ** was the product to best fit my needs.

The **Diaper Champ** is a great choice for a few reasons:

- Use your own garbage bags.  I find that a 13 gallon garbage bag is perfect for 3 days worth of diapers. If I run out of garbage bags (it happened once) I used the plastic bags from the grocery store...they worked good for a day.
- Easy to use - Close up your diaper, drop it in the hole and flip the handle.  It's very easy to use and seldom do I ever have to use the foot grip at the bottom.
- Easy to clean - The **Diaper Champ** is very easy to open up and clean.  Even though the garbage bag collects all the diapers, I like to clean out the inside weekly.   The outside and parts that come in contact with diapers gets cleaned daily.  Less than a minute and I'm done.

If I had to find one complaint about the **Diaper Champ**, it would be that when you flip it you definitely catch a whiff of dirty diapers.  With that being said, using the Diaper Champ in a daycare it is getting used 6x's more than it would in a regular 1 baby-changing household!

The **Diaper Champ** was the least expensive of my options and is proof that a higher price doesn't always mean a better product!

Maybe ours was defective, because ours stank

We loved our first Diaper Champ (the original design).

We loved our first Diaper Champ (the original design).

We got the "new and improved" one (PINK) when our second child was born. After one week of use we never used it again. We were careful to leave the piston thing fully up or down so as to seal. Regardless of what we did the diaper champ did nothing to contain any smells. We tried everything we could and Baby Trend Customer Service could only tell us to change the bag every day. If we were going to change the bag every day then we would have been just as good using the baggie on the door knob method.

Like I said the original design did use well. The new design or maybe the construction of the one we got had problems and did not work at all. Another new design feature which i my eyes is a flaw is the bottom of the diaper champ is bigger than the top. They have plastic quides which I assume are to give strength to the diaper champ and to guide the full bag out...however often times it would rip the bag. The original design in my opinion was a much better product.

Customer Service was hard to deal with and demeaning. In the end we just never used ours and ate the cost of buying it. I will never buy another Baby Trend product again. It makes me mad at how poorly we were treated.

Good value but too short!

from Hornbeak, TN

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

The diaper champ is just ok in my opinion. It does a good job of trapping in smells, and I love that it takes regular trash bags. However, I hate that it is so short and can sometimes be annoying to open and close.

• Capacity:

Beats the Diaper Genie in price, quality & convenience!

from Austin, TX

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

Thank goodness that I've got friends with kids! Upon their recommendation, I purchased the Diaper Champ. I was originally going to get the Diaper Genie but they informed me that the Genie needs specific bags (which are costly). I love that the Champ is easy to use, can use ANY bag (or no bag!), is high quality and is cheaper than other options. I've been very pleased with this product!

Where is the smell!

from Mcdonough, GA

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

This is an absolute must for any mothers and mothers to be! It is so simple to use and to store. It takes so little space. It serves its purpose extreemly well. You drop and go. I remember the days when I was young and my mother had to put it in the kitchen trash. She did it with my brother and sisters too. This diaper trash despenser becomes your best buddie during changing time. If you have pet or other active animals around the house or other people or children you can be sure this apparatice is safe. It is durable and seals well so if it is in a high traffic area and gets bumped or tipped over the contence does not fall out. I would recommed this to everyone that is preparing for a new addition to their home. As a matter of fact, I have already recommended this item to many mothers to be, even my oldest daughter. Lucky her she gets to use mine! All and all this is like a family heirloom because it is being passed down to other gernerations. Its a great score!

Diaper Champ is Great!

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

We purchased a second diaper "disposal" to have downstairs since the only one we had in our house was upstairs in our daughter's room. I first saw the diaper champ at Ikea when I went to change my daughter's diaper one weekend and really liked it. The disposal upstairs was a diaper genie, which required a specific trash bag. I really liked the idea of the diaper champ because you could use whatever type of bag you wished (we use small garabage bags that you can buy for a few bucks at Walmart). I also really like it because it holds a lot of diapers and does not smell. I find that the diaper genies hold a scent, but for us the diaper champ does not. It is also so easy to change. In the future I will probably only use diaper champs becasue they are cheap, easier to use, and do not leave a smell.

nice for the money!

from Ballston Spa, NY

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

When we had our first we originally did not even bother to register for or buy a diaper pail thinking that we would just throw dirty diapers in the outside trash. We also did not want to get sucked into having to purchase a specific brand of expensive diaper pail liners, and the reviews we had read on various diaper pails were not too stellar.

About a week after my son was born however, we realized that going out to the garbage to dispose of diapers 8-10 times a day was not as practicle as we had previously thought. So, we set out to find a diaper pail of some sort. We clearly wanted something that concealed the diaper odor, and was basic enough to use in any decor as we were planning on having more children. This diaper pail did all of this and exceeded our expectations.

We have been using the Diaper Champ for 2.5 years now, and it still conceals all odors nicely. You can buy whatever brand (we buy generic) of small trash bag liners for the inside, which is also convenient and inexpensive. I would recommend this model to anyone!

Works great!

from Springfield, MO

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

We bought our Diaper Champ used and still love it. It is easy to you. You just put your bag in, close the lid, and you are good to go. When it's time to use it, as long as the diaper is folded up, it fits great. You place it in the circle at the top and just flip it closed to the other side. It holds in the smell and takes a little while to fill up. The best part is that you can use any 13 gallon bag to fit inside. You don't have to buy special bags to use like with other diaper disposal systems, which saves you a lot of money in the long run. We just buy the cheapest tall kitchen bags we can find and they work great in the Diaper Champ.The only drawback is that your toddler may like to put toys into the diaper champ. That has happened to us twice and we didn't notice the toy was in there before we put the diaper down. There went a block and a ring toy. I don't know how this would be preventable with any diaper system, though.

Best Diaper Pail on the market

from Lubbock, TX

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

When I was pregnant with our son my husband was skeptical of all diaper disposal systems he had seen. I was very sure that I didn't want to be throwing diapers away in the regular trash though. So I finally chose the Baby Trend Diaper Champ at the referral of a friend and it has been great! You can line it with a regular kitchen sized trash bag instead of having to buy expensive specialty bags. The system design allows you to dispose of a soiled diaper without actually opening the lid to let out the smell of older diapers. At first I didn't understand how it worked, but it is a great system. You place the diaper in a holding area and swivel the head around to dump the diaper in the trash bag. The smell it cut down dramatically better with a diaper champ than with a diaper genie. The nursery at my church has a diaper genie and the room smells awful whenever a diaper has to be disposed of. I recommend the diaper champ to all the expectant mothers I know.

Odor Control
No diaper disposal is completely scentless, but this is the best one I have seen... or smelled.

• Capacity:

Convenient, but the smell sometimes gets through

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

I love the convenience and money-saving aspect of not having to buy special refill bags.  Large kitchen trash bags work great in the Diaper Champ, and they're easy to insert.   I also appreciated that there weren't any little parts that could break or anything battery-powered.  Just one less thing to worry about with the Diaper Champ's simple design.  Most of the time, it's easy to flip the handle over one-handed to get the diaper down into the pail while being able to keep your other hand on your child.

That being said, the Diaper Champ didn't work as well as I'd hoped.  You have to be really careful to close up the diaper well so that any loose edge doesn't get stuck in the barrel and let odor leak out or just make the barrel stick so it doesn't flip back over.  And forget about putting in a baby wipe by itself...that's a sure way to make the barrel stick and then you have to open up the whole thing to get it unstuck, releasing diaper stink into the room.

Even with nothing being stuck in the barrel, about half the time when you flip the handle, some odor gets released into the room.  Before your baby has started solid foods, it's not as big of a deal, but after that, the smell released when you flip the handle can be major.  Keep some room spray on hand.

All that to say, I think it's tough to find a good diaper pail, and it beats the alternative of having to constantly empty the trash.  If you flush your older baby's poop down the toilet and put the rest of the diaper in the Diaper Champ, that does help somewhat with the odor.

• Capacity:

The Diaper Champ is a winner; your nose & wallet will thank you!

from Livonia, MI

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

I'm a mom of three children, and have used a few different of these diaper systems with each child. I honestly feel that Baby Trend's Diaper Champ is one of the best diaper pails on the market. The Diaper Genie is okay; actually the new Diaper Genie Ellite is much better than the models prior, but I still feel that the Diaper Champ is so much more affordable and affective and whipping out the stinky part of disposable diaper changing.

There are several things I like about Baby Trend's Diaper Champ! First, I love that you don't need a special refill cartridge for this; you use regular garbage bags inside of this which ultimately cuts down the cost of using a system like this.

Clean up is easy; after the diapers begin to be difficult to insert into the top of the handle, you know it's time for a change. Simple pop open the Diaper champ and remove your garbage bag and tie up. There are no special bags to try to cut off or tie and in fact the bags that you have to buy with the Diaper Genie are much thinner which I believe is the reason it doesn't lock in the odor as well Baby Trends Diaper Champ.

For the money, your nose and convenience: my money is on the Diaper Champ!

This is probably the easiest of diaper pals I've used (and the most effective). Simply place the dirty diaper in the top slot and grab the handle and give it a little flip!

Odor Control
I love how effective the Diaper Champ is at keeping the stinky odors from seeping out into the room. The other systems I've used don't do as good of a job as this pail does, and you can purchase scented garbage bags in the marketplace and those are perfect for this to help mask any smell you might begin to smell after day two or three.

It rarely gets dirty on the outside, but when it does I just wipe it down with a Lysole disinfectant wipe. It uses just regular garbage bags that are easy to install. No fancy dancy contraptions here. Just pop open the main lid, place the bag inside and slap the lid back down. super cuper simple.

Capacity
This holds tons of diapers; I don't like that the Diaper Champ fills up kind of fast for newborns (you change them more often) but it definitely holds more dirty diapers than the other similar pails do. I would say at least twice the amount per cleaning it out.

The Diaper Champ is a tad bit bigger, but it's also more stable and the wide base keeps it from tipping over onto babies if they try to pull up with it.

• Capacity:

The Diaper Champ is slightly better than the others.

from Spring, TX

Comments about Baby Trend Diaper Champ:

With 3 kids, you know I've been changing a lot of diapers, 1 is potty trained and 1 is almost potty trained so we actually have 2 Diaper Champs in our home.  When you first buy these, they seem much better than the diaper genie brand because you can use your own bags instead of buying their cartridges.  And for months the Diaper Champ is smell free.  I even spray the container with lysol after evertyime I change the bag.  But like anything else after 5 years of changing diapers, they're bound to smell.  I have never owned a diaper genie so I don't know how they compare but the Diaper Champ is fine right after I change the bag but as the week goes on there's a slight smell around the area where it resides.  It's not overpowering so we still use them and it is a lot more convenient than taking it outside to the trash evertime you change your child.  So we'll continue to use them but I can't wait till we don't need them anymore!

Sometimes the diapers get stuck in the opening and you either have to shake it a bunch or lift the handle, dislodge the diaper and then the handle will turn freely again.

Odor Control
It was great when we first got it but now everytime I change the bag, I have spray it with lysol neutra air spray inside and out and it seems to be pretty good but only if I remember to spray it each time. Otherwise it doesn't hold the odor in as good anymore.

I've only really bleached it out a couple of times. It's not the easiest thing to handle since the inside part of the lid doesn't come completely off.

Capacity
I think this one has a much better capacity than some of the others. I just use one of the Ruffies 8 gallon garbage bags for it and it takes a few weeks to fill it up.

This design is much better than the old one. It has a larger opening for the diapers to go through which is good but even still some get stuck.