3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

Babies-R-Us: The Baby Superstore Retailer in Cyberspace

There are many on- line retailers that bring the baby product superstore concept to your home pc screen. They usually don't offer quite the number of products you can find in a physical store but they do offer a good amount of choices and the convenience of shopping at home. One such store is **Babiesrus.com**, a store for baby products. **Web Site Commentary:**Most people know about Babies-R-Us from the physical stores. I am fully aware of these stores, and I knew there was probably an on- line presence as well. When I first visited this on- line store, I assumed the logon was likely going to be babiesrus.com so I typed it, pressed return, and waited for the screen to respond. My assumption was correct, but I was shocked at what I saw: The exact same layout as Amazon.com! (the layout is slightly different now, but it was exactly the same back then). I didn't know it then, but Babiesrus.com is affiliated with book and general merchandise giant Amazon.com- the web site where I have made more purchases than any web site in cyberspace. Not only is it affiliated, but my Amazon.com account, I soon learned, doubles as a babaiesrus.com account. Thus, I had nothing else to do. I didn't need to setup a new account or anything.  The layout of this site is efficient and easy to use. I like the large selection of different categories of goods and services and I had no trouble finding things I needed/wanted to buy. There is a good chance that if I was a more experienced baby goods shopper (wife handles most of the baby buying duties), I might not have liked the number of goods available for sale in each section. But for a newbie like me, it seemed like a horn of plenty. Product information in this site is very good, and there are often multiple pictures to help consumers get a good idea what a product is like before they make a purchase. And, like with Amazon.com, there are often consumer reviews written on each product to help with comparison shopping. Shipping through this site is sometimes free if you spend enough money and choose standard shipping (provided a free shipping offer is in place at the time). If you want your order faster, it will cost you some additional money. When I have ordered, I have used only the standard shipping method. I don't think it's worth it to pay extra money just to get a shipment one or two days faster. One thing about this site that might surprise some shoppers is the fact that it doesn't offer any basic goods, like diapers, formula, and other consumable goods. I was a little shocked when I found this out. Given the large variety of goods available, it seemed like essentials such as diapers, wipes, and the like would be an obvious thing to sell. But Babiesrus.com doesn't offer these types of things. You will have to go to the grocery store or shop someplace else on- line to find these types of goods.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, I like my experience with Babiesrus.com. The fact that it is affiliated with amazon.com made the logon and shopping process easy because I didn't need to establish a new account. It's a good site for newer parents and for seasoned veterans of on- line baby shopping. Good selections and moderate pricing makes this baby store one to add to your list of web services to visit.

I don't know if I'd shop at Babies R Us if I didn't have to

I HAVE to shop at Babies R Us because they are the only place that sells many items we need for baby. They are trustworthy, yes, and they do have a lot of good products. However lately I'm starting to find more bad in them then good.

The first thing that jumps to mind is their OUTRAGEOUS shipping cost on items that you CANNOT buy in the store! For example, I wanted to buy some door knob child covers. These are small plastic covers that I know do not weigh that much. The ones I want are no longer sold in the store so I have to buy them online. So I add 3 sets 3 door knob covers to my cart and the shipping is **$14**!! The products themselves only add up to $12, so $14 shipping is completely uncalled for.

Babies R Us must know their shipping is high because they offer free shipping deals all the time. However, when you look at the fine print, you realize the free shipping deal is far from a good deal! To get free shipping, you have to spend $100 and the free shipping deal only applies for the first $20 worth of shipping cost. So everything after the $20 you still have to pay. Therefore, considering their shipping costs are outrageous, it is very easy to go over that $20 mark and in the end I don't feel like you are saving anything at all.

So does that mean I shop elsewhere? Well, that is where they get you. Those door knob covers are not really sold anywhere else trustworthy for the most part. With items like these, it becomes an issue of buying from a store I know and trust rather than a third party online.

Another issue I often have with Babies R Us online is I get lost in a sea of product. They do have a lot of options, but the most annoying thing is that they continue to display product that is out of stock, and never seems to come into stock. I saw certain items I loved more than the other types, but they were out of stock for months so I gave up.

Then there are items that go in and out of stock back and forth and you have to catch them at the right time. My crib set was one of those items. I picked it out early, but 4x from the day I picked it to the day we bought it, it was marked as out of stock again and we couldn't buy it. My mom wanted to buy this and other things off my registry that kept going out of stock whenever she visited the website. Just another annoying quality of Babies R Us Online.

My final complaint is with my Baby Registry. For some reason, certain items cannot be linked up online even though they are sold in the online store. Some things that were already purchased end up losing their link and description so I can't remember exactly what item it was. Considering there were some things I wanted to buy more of, I found this annoying because I no longer knew exactly what burpcloth that was, or what bib I purchased, because the links are gone and the descriptions are vague.

Overall I still tell my friends to register at Babies R Us because they truly are one of the only places to buy most of these items. Sure, you can get a lot of them at Target, but Babies R Us has much better return policies when it comes to registered items. I will continue to shop at Babies R Us online for the essentials that I can't find elsewhere, but I will only be shopping when I can figure out free shipping or a good discount otherwise.

Probably will NOT order online ag

from dallas tx

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

I order 4 things online with a gift card. I received 3 of the 4 items very quick. Took about 1 week to receive each of the 3 items. The 4th item I receive was the wrong item and it also had the security tag still attach to the item. I call customer service and explain to them, they told me to keep the item and they will send the item I wanted. (I dot why I would keep the item when it still had the security tag, but I got it off with a hammer). Two weeks passed and I still haven't receive this one item, call customer service again. The guy I spoke with told me the item was not available and don't know when they will have it, so he issue a refund. At first it was through email and he said it would take 24 to 48 hours. I told him to send it to a different email. They could not do that, so they said they will send it in the mail and it should take 2 to 5 business days. Soo hopefully I receive my refund. I'm just not going to purchase anything online from babies r us anymore. So I would recommend anyone else. This was my first and last time purchasing online

Worst customer service experience ever!

from Mount Airy, NC

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

I called Babies R Us customer service about an issue trying to buy something online. They were completely rude and disrespectful. They basically called me a liar and degraded me! I've never been so appalled talking to a customer service representative with any company. Obviously the old saying of the customer is always right no longer applies!!

Love this website

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

BabiesRUs.com is an amazing website. They offer everything that you can think of for a baby. I have used the website several times to order cute clothes, baby toys, and even nursery furniture. I would have to say my favorite thing about the store is that they have a really big selection. When I was browsing for nursery decor they had tons of things to choose from. I love the website even more than the actual store because the website offers special deals every now and then so you can save more money. I also like how easy the site is to navigate. They have everything sectioned off into separate categories so you can easily go to a specific category and find what you are looking for. Also they offer everyday things for babies like formula, diapers, and shampoo. I would definitely recommend this website to other parents because they have a lot of very nice quality items to choose from. Also when you are expecting a baby you can make a registry, which is always fun.

Free Shipping is a Gimmick

from San Antonio, Texas

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

I purchased items online on 31 Aug (with free shipping) for a baby shower I was attending on Sep 12th. After tracking the package I learned it wouldn't even be delivered until the 11th of Sep! What, did they have to MAKE the items as well as ship them??? Today (11 Sep) I called FedEx and learned that this retailer chooses the most economical (cheapest) way to ship their merchandise. What they do is start out with FedEx but then switch to USPS! Well, it is the night before the baby shower and FedEx tells me their records show the merchandise was delivered. Delivered?? Where?? Certainly not to my address which I provided when I paid for my order!! Now I am on hold with USPS (going on 38:37 min and counting) just to find out exactly where my merchandise is! Had I known about this so called "free shipping", I would have just gone in to the store and bought it the items there! So much for convenience!!!! FedEx people recommended to me that in the future, always be very wary of "free shipping" and I will heed their warning. But, this does not help me and the baby shower I have to attend tomorrow. A very big Thank You BabiesRUs for nothing!!!! All I can hope for is that someone, anyone thinking about using your online store turn around and run the other way, as fast as you can!!!!! What a cheap trick to play on a customer.

Everything for Baby

from MI

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

BabiesRUS.com is the go-to place for everything baby. It is really the one and only place to register for baby goods when expecting, and they really do have it all. That being said, I find the website very overwhelming and disorganized, and most of the items are very over-priced.

I registered at Babies R Us when we were expecting our first child, about 5 years ago. At that time I felt very overwhelmed by all of the options that were available.

I did register in store, which helped, but after that I went to the website to edit, add, delete, etc. I have found over the years that the website does NOT carry everything that you can find in store - which I find to be the opposite of most other websites.

The website feels very cluttered to me and hard to find what you are looking for. While they do carry a huge selection of baby items, the website just isn't fun to use or shop around on.

Overall, the website is average. It is hard to get deals online, and if they do offer coupons it is usually "in store only." I have been able to find a lot of items carried by Babies R Us at other retailers at a much lower price. I do feel that there are some things that you can only get from Babies R Us - things you can't find anywhere else, but overall this is not my favorite online shopping retailer.

Can't beat the sales.

Profile Image

from Florida

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

I love checking Babies R Us and the website to see what they've got on sale. It's always something different and I can usually get good deals both online and in the store.

I have signed up for the emails and every once and awhile will get a pretty good coupon for shopping in the store.

The actual in person store near me is HUGE. I am in at least once a month to get stuff for my daughter. They have an awesome selection of bibs, Sippy cups and diapers. And there prices rival Wal-Mart and other stores.

The only downsides to the website and shopping there is it's a little hard to navigate sometimes. Other than that they are doing a great job making sure that the product quality that we are used to having and getting when shopping in the store is available when shopping online.

They also have really friendly and helpful associates and customer service people that go above and beyond to answer whatever questions that you have.

Good website.

from Kansas

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

I have another new niece in the family and it is about holiday time. Honestly, I DREAD going into the physical Babies-R-Us store. I chose to use their website this year so I could avoid the chaos of the actual store. It is an easy website to navigate and is a one stop place for any baby or toddler items. One thing I really like is when you select the product it tells you the age range. That is a helpful feature for those of us who are not exactly pro's when it comes to baby stuff. You can read reviews on the items, which is another helpful aspect. My items shipped at about an average time and there were not problems with the order.

I am glad I decided to purchase online instead of dragging myself to the physical Babies-R-Us, this holiday season.

Very easy to navigate because it is well organized.

Product Selection
Huge selection of products ranging from toys, clothing, feeding, baby furniture, and even baby and mommy health items.

Product Pricing
In my opinion, the prices are a little higher than they should be. You can find the exact same items at other retailers for a lower price.

Customer Service
I have never had to contact customer service.

Shipping and Returns
My items shipped in an average amount of time. I have never had to return anything so I can not really comment on that aspect.

Registry Management/Ease of Use Seriously Lacking

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

I created my Baby Registry at my local store. Some of the items I scanned in-store were not on my print-out for my registry, or online. I assumed my own user error, and added the missing products online, which was relatively simple. We registered for a $350.00 jogging stroller that we found in the store. My sister attempted to purchase it, but it was not available for home shipping (despite the product information saying it could be shipped to all 50 states), and according to the website, the nearest store carrying the item for in-store pick-up was 27 miles away from my house. My sister didn't want to send me on a wild goose chase for my stroller. I assumed that the stroller was sold out at the store I originally registered at, because it was a popular item. When contacting customer service, I was told that the information on the website is correct, but I should still call my local store to determine whether they had the stroller in stock. (So the information on the website COULD be incorrect, but Babies R Us customer service would not admit that possibility). When I asked if it was possible for the store 27 miles away to ship the stroller to my local store, I was told I would have to coordinate that with the 2 stores. When calling my local store, there were 3 strollers in stock; so...the website WAS inaccurate. I don't mind calling the store. I don't mind going to pick up the stroller. I AM bothered by the fact that my guests to my baby shower, my family, and my friends cannot easily purchase items from my registry. The website function "store locator" for local store pick up SHOULD have indicated that strollers were available, in-store, for purchase. The Babies R Us website should not say a product is available to be shipped to all 50 states, if it cannot be shipped. I received an email from customer service, telling me to pick a similar item to the unavailable stroller, and replace it on my registry.

My sister and my mother-in-law told us they both tried to get us the stroller, but it was unavailable according to the Babies R Us website. So, instead of receiving the stroller as a gift, my husband and I purchased the stroller on our own, after contacting the local store. When in store, we told the cashier we were purchasing the stroller off the registry. We did this for 2 reasons: 1) so our registry would be updated, and show that we had purchased the stroller and 2) to get the reward points. Despite telling the cashier we were buying the stroller off the registry, and despite our receipt showing both our rewards number AND registry number, the stroller appears to have not been purchased when viewing our registry online, and we did not receive any reward points for the purchase. I contacted customer service via the website, and there is nothing they can do, I must call guest services. So, now, it is quite clear that there is no communication between stores, between the website and the stores, and with in-store purchases and the website. So it is possible that all of my items have been purchased in-store, and none of them show up as purchased on the website. The 10% gift rewards Babies R Us promises you get back on all purchases made off your registry could be completely wrong if the registry does not update properly. Anyone interested in purchasing items from the website may come away thinking the items they want are unavailable, when in reality they could be available for purchase.

It is frustrating to be told by Babies R Us that it is capable of offering a service, when it really cannot. If the website cannot handle the updates, then just let people know this information, before selling it to the public. The customer service has been non-existent. I am responsible for making sure everything is updated accurately. Which is fine, but more involvement than I wanted. I thought the registry would be easy. I register, people buy gifts, it is updated. Now, I have to make sure things are updated properly. I imagine at my shower, I will probably have duplicates of many items. Also, how do I tell my guests "Hey, the website is probably wrong, try and go into the store and buy the gifts" without sounding like I'm pushing even more for gifts? The whole process has been very disappointing.

• Shipping and Returns:

You can find a better place to shop

Comments about Babies-R-Us | BabiesRUs.com:

Babies R Us has a large selection of items to choose from online. However, I find it frustrating when it can only be purchased online and you can’t find it in a store. I also find it frustrating when you can purchase it online, but you have to pick it up at the store. This defeats the purpose of online shopping for me. I also feel as though they can have higher prices than other places you could shop like Amazon.com or Walmart.com. And, if you shop at the other sites you can get any product shipped directly to you. This is a much better deal and creates a more pleasant shopping experience. I also do not like the online exclusive products because you cannot go to a store to see if you like the item before buying it. Another aspect of Babies R Us I do not like is the return policy. You must have a receipt and it must be returned in I believe thirty days or you do not get a refund. I buy early for birthdays, holidays, etc. and cannot shop at Babies R Us because of this.

Love it!