Other Insect Repellents:

Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray

Pros

Cons

Gentle Lotion Keeps Bugs and Sun at Bay

I enjoy spending time in my backyard patio during the warmer months.  Unfortunately, so do the local wasps and mosquitoes.  I really hate to spray harsh bug repellants on my skin so I was on the lookout for a product that would work effectively but wasn't overloaded with harsh chemicals.  **Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535** **- Gentle Breeze** has been the answer for me.  In addition to the insect repellant, the lotion also contains an SPF 30 UVA/UVB sunscreen. When I first opened the cap, I was surprised by how innocuous the Gentle Breeze scent smelled.  I'm used to bug killers smelling like strong chemicals so it surprised me that the Bug Guard Plus smelled like a lightly fragranced body lotion.  The product contains aloe and vitamin E moisturizers, and is both pediatrician and dermatologist tested.  Another plus for this item - besides the sunscreen - is that it is both DEET-free and PABA-free.

After applying the Bug Guard Plus, I find that I can sit outside in the twilight when the buggies start looking for food, and I am rarely bothered by pesky mosquitoes.

The only downside to this product is precisely that it is a combo product.  Where I live, the mosquitoes don't come out until after the sun goes down.  I don't need the extra chemicals of a sunblock since there generally isn't any sun out when I use the lotion.  Still, if you are in need of both a sunblock and an insect repellant, this product definitely kills two birds with one stone.  You won't need to buy separate products with **Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus**.  I highly recommend it.

Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus is an average product for me

**Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus **has provided average protection for my family. I think the idea of combining a sunscreen with bug protection is great. My kids and I are very fair skinned and tend to attract lots of mosquitoes. It is a welcome relief to apply one rather than two products. However, one [website][1] did not recommend using a combined product such as this for children.

I purchased the white lotion variety of this product at a 50% off deal. At 50% off, it was about the same price as another manufacturer's bug spray without sunscreen that we purchased as well.

According to one website that tested numerous types of bug repellents, **Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus **provided 23 minutes of complete bug protection, with Skin So Soft bug guard (10 minutes) and Skin So Soft moisturizing sun care (3 minutes) not fairing nearly as well. The longest lasting repellent provided 302 minutes of complete protection according to that website, but this product ranked fifth best, and much better than the least effective product that only provided 0.2 minutes of protection. It appears that high levels of DEET and soy oil were more effective than the IR3535 that is found in **Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus. **Oils of various herbs, citronella, and low levels of DEET seemed to provide less complete protection than this product.

Personally, I found **Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus **to feel a bit oily when I applied it to my skin. I did not notice any stains on my clothing after using it. Because I had seen the above information in a website, I did not use this product when planning to be out all day. I tend to be a mosquito magnet. Everyone else can be sitting outside enjoying a nice chat while I'm busy swatting and swelling because I have about 100 mosquito welts on me in about 30 minutes. After using this product, I probably got less bites than I would have normally, but I still got mosquito bites after less than 30 minutes outside. However, I did not get sunburned.

**My Viewpoint:**

I'm recommending this product only for short periods of time outside. Its ingredient seems to be safer for children than DEET, and the sunscreen is a definite plus. If planning to be outside for more than 20-25 minutes or if you are a mosquito magnet or planning to be in an area with high mosquito counts, I would go with another product such as [Cutter Advanced Sport][2] .

**UPDATE:**

I just read some information and discovered that the Center for Disease Control (CDC) does not recommend products that are intended to repel mosquitoes that are mixed with sunscreen. The thinking is that sunscreens are designed for freuent use throughout the day to provide maximum protection, while they recommend for safety reasons that mosquito repellents, especially those containing DEET (which this one doesn't contain DEET), should be used sparingly.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/The-Official-Website-of-Larimer-County-Colorado-Mosquito-Repellents-for-Children-review-65bc
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Cutter-Advanced-Sport-Insect-Repellent-with-Picaridin-Heavy-Duty-Formula-review-ddd63

Does not work!

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

The Avon Skin So Soft bug spray smells great, but it didn't work for me! In fact, I think the bugs were more attracted to me because of the sweet smell! I got chewed alive during my camping trip. I had some friends try it in the backyard one evening while cooking out and it didn't work on any of them either, so we can rule out the theory that it simply may not have agreed with my body. I do not recommend this product!

• Ease of Application:

Smells great and works too!

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

My mother used to use this on us as children and I still use it to this day. Not only has no other insect repellent worked better for me at keeping the stingers far away, but there is no offensive, strong odor. The smell is very soft and pleasant, and it leaves your skin soft and moisturized, just like the name says. There is no need to use sticky feeling bug spray as long as this stuff is around.

Another great Avon product

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

My wife got into buying these Avon products, and at first I was skeptical, but they are consistently good. The Skin so Soft bug spray is no different. It leaves your skin soft, and keeps the bugs away, just like it claims. It stays on your skin and works for a long time, and you never get that gross bug spray feeling!. Give it a try, you'll like it.

Awesome bug spray

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

This bug spray is great! Not only does it work great, but it smells great, too! Being from avon, it doesn't smell like the typical bug sprays out there. Also, it doesn't feel oily or greasy like other bug sprays. The thing I hate the most about typical bug sprays is that 1. They smell bad and 2. They always make you feel greasy and oily. This brand does neither of those. Being that it's also involved with the skin so soft brand, it makes your skin actually feel soft and smooth, not oily and dirty. It also works great and keeps the bugs away I'll never switch to any other brand.

This spray works great. It's so effective and lasts a while, too. Unlike other brands that only lasts an hour or less, this one lasts for at least a few hours and does it's job all while leaving your skin oil-free and smelling great.

Ease of Application
This product is very easy to apply. All you do is spray some on the area you want to cover, and then rub it in. Rubbing it in is also very easy because it's smooth and soaks into your skin easily with little effort. Some brands take forever to rub in and they still leave your skin feeling oily. This brand doesn't take long to apply and it leaves your skin feeling just as it did before, if not better because it also makes your skin feel soft.

The scent is great for it being bug spray. Normally, bug spray smells horrible, this brand, though, smells very good.

Bug Spray

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

This Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray is perfect for me. It doesn't smell amazing but it's not half as bad as other bug sprays. I'm highly allergic to any bug bites, and this spray absolutely works. It keeps the bugs away as long as I'm out. It's also very easy to spray on.

• Ease of Application:

Has a pleasant scent.Long lasting.

from Springdale, UT

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

This bug repellent is really long lasting.It lasts for like half the day whenever I'm attending an outdoor event.When I apply it has a really wide mist and makes it fast to cover all of my skin.It has a pleasant scent to it and is not really noticeable or overtaking.It doesn't feel sticky to the touch on my skin.It doesn't feel heavy either or like gunk like some other brand I had used before replacing it with this.I have atopic dermatitis and it never irritates my skin or causes breakouts.It is a pretty gentle spray.It never causes me any itching.As soon as I apply this,the mosquitoes stop bothering me.Like the second I apply it they leave me alone.It's really fast working.It is really easy to carry this around.It's a small bottle that fits comfortably in my purse.I don't have to just pile it on either.Just one layer of this.Mist this lightly all over my skin and it works great.

• Ease of Application:

skin so soft moderate effectiveness

from Akron, OH

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

This product is the utilitarian alternative to deet like products which can be more toxic. I recommend application of this onto skin and a deet product applied to clothes in heavily populated insect zones. The other qualities of skin so soft are worthy of purchase alone.

• Ease of Application:

Softest and Most Bug Free Skin!

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

I had been on the market avidly searching for a safe, fresh smelling yet effective insect repellent. And I'm so luck to have found Avon's Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Pump Spray. The pump in and of itself, makes applying the spray less messy and directly targets the applied areas you want it to, thus no wasting of the product and sheer effectiveness. It also has a very fresh scent that lingers and makes you smell lovely and refreshing and not like you have bug spray on! Highly and easily one of the most affordable and best products on the market. This product is perfect for summer months of course but even during the winter when the sun is out, you need to protect your skin. I suggest to use this as a year round product. A definite must.

• Ease of Application:

Like this product it smells like coconuts..

from Navarre, FL

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

I like this product it's quite effective and it smells nice. It is DEET free but it still has the effectiveness I am looking for. Sometimes I feel a stickiness but I just get a clean washcloth and rub it in a little more and issue averted. And the price when it is on sale is very reasonable.

It protects against yellow flies, ticks, no-seeums, mosquitoes, you name it!

Ease of Application
Could be better, sometimes it leaves a sticky residue.

i think it smells like coconuts.

• Ease of Application:

One product can do it all

from Central Falls, RI

Comments about Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump Spray:

I love this product, It not only protects from insects but comes with SPF 30 sunscreen and softens skin. I live in an area not far from where mosquitoes With triple E were found. Also deer ticks around here can carry lyme disease and Mosquitoes West Nile virus.

It has always done the job for me and I have very fair skin and insects love me.

Ease of Application
First time I used the spray but it applys very well. Never come out too much at a time

It says unscented but has a clean pleasant smell