4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

Nursing mommies-keep this handy

The thought of nursing, frankly, scared me. When I was pregnant with my first child, I took a breastfeeding class at my local hospital and watching the video seemed, I don't know..unnatural. I didn't get it, but I knew I was going to be willing to try since I'd been told over and over again that the benefits of breastfeeding were immense. I wanted to give my child that extra umph in life.

After I gave birth to my oldest daughter, I had a lactation consultant visit me in my hospital room to show me what to do. She was rough and a bit caustic, grabbing my breast and trying to get the baby to latch. We didn't have a whole lot of success and I was starting to feel low and manhandled.

When I got home, I called my friend who was a La Leche leader. She had much more of a gentler approach than the lactation consultant and was trying to help me persevere through the initial awkwardness of first time nursing jitters.Unfortunately, the whole situation stressed me out that my milk had not come in and my daughter was non-stop crying (in retrospect, due to hunger) and she was turning orange due to jaundice.

I took her into our local pediatricians and the doctor told me to start her on formula right away. I was about in tears. I felt as though my body failed me, that I had FAILED my daughter. This tiny little helpless being was entrusting me to meet her basics needs, but I couldn't give her the mommy's milk she needed. The pediatrician gave me a tiny tube that he taped onto my shoulder down over my breast, so that when my daughter latched on, I could slowly pump formula into the tubing and it would disperse right above my nipple to give my daughter the appearance she was receiving milk from me. I think this process relaxed me a bit, so my milk let down within 24 hours and we were off to the races.

What I didn't anticipate was how MUCH milk would come in. It overwhelmed me and it overwhelmed my daughter. I bought an Advent breast pump kit....the manual one where you can pump one side at a time. At first I was an overzealous pumper and ended up making my nipples bleed. (I was trying to get all the milk out as quickly as I could) but after a while I got into the rhythm of it and it became second nature. Thankfully, the kit does include breast pads which were helpful when I started to leak. Be sure you put a pad on one side while you pump down the other. Otherwise you will leak all over your clothes.

I particularly had success pumping one side while my daughter nursed the other side. (I did this only occasionally as I wanted her to nurse both sides to keep her satisfied. I would only pump and nurse if I knew I was going to leave her with my husband or parents for an hour or so--an aside here: I hardly left her with anybody but myself.)

Taking apart the Advent pump can feel like you are taking apart a carburetor, but if you make it through the first couple of times, it will be second nature and not at all a difficult chore. Be careful to keep the small valve at the base of the pump away from the sink or any other abyss you could accidentally drop it in. (Eh-hem...like I have a few times) The breast pump kit does give you a replacement or two, but with practice, I've made sure I kept that valve away from imminent danger.

The pump kit also give you a starter supply of storage bags which I loved. I didn't know there was a difference in the make of breast milk storage bags until I ran out of the Advent ones, went to the store, bought another brand because it was less expensive and regretted that decision as soon as I tried to pour the milk into the new storage bag, It was a big white sticky mess. Advent bags are made really well and their double ziploc top allows you to open the bag easily and pour the milk in with ease without spilling or mess.

The kit also includes nipple tops for the breast pump bottles, so if you're on the run and you know you are going to have someone else watch your child for an hour or two, I'd recommend saving a storage bag, pumping,and then once you've finished pumping, screw on the nipple. I believe you can leave breastmilk out at room temperature for a few hours without refridgeration. I went no more than 3 hours sitting out and then I would pop it into the fridge.

The Advent pumps are made really, really well. It's lasted me eight years and four children. I nursed all my babies for over a year.I nursed my oldest for 14 months until my OB-GYN said I needed to stop nursing her because I was in jeopardy of miscarrying my second baby. My second daughter I nursed for a year (exactly! She weaned on her first birthday) My third child, I nursed him for 16 months and my 4th child only nursed for 15 months. Once they stopped, they never looked back.

I hated selling my breast pump, but we did at our last garage sale. I'm hoping some new mom will get as much peace of mind out of it as I did.

It's worth the extra money to buy a better breast pump!

I bought the **Avent Isis** **Manual Breast Pump **when my son was about a month old and I wanted to be able to store breast milk in the fridge without having to feed on demand.

I was following the directions perfectly and had the hardest time trying to get it to work.  It has a major problem with suction.  It would be attached correctly and there would still be no suction.  A new mother that is sleep deprived and tired beyond belief, isn't going to want to deal with a faulty product that is so frustrating.  I even had my husband figure it out and he said that it was assembled properly, just a piece of junk product.  The reason why I bought the **Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump **is because it was the cheapist pump I could find.  If you are really interested in pumping your breast milk, I highly recommend you invest the money and get a quality breast pump.  This is one area where you get what you pay for!  I actually threw mine in the trash after two weeks of unsuccessful attempts.

Wouldn't recommend

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I would NOT recommend the Avent Manual Pump to anyone unless you want to waste your money and time on buying it. I find that this pump was VERY difficult to use and even with a breast full of milk this pump would barely pump any of my milk. What little milk it did pump I had to manipulate the breast pump and do more than I probably should have had to do just to get anything to come out. And that was with following the directions that came with the pump. I know in some cases being cheap works out well, but in this case being cheap gives you exactly what you pay for, which is a piece of JUNK! I ended up giving up on breast feeding and throwing my Avent manual pump away after several failed attempts although I wish I had kept on trying to breastfeed my daughter anyway. I would most definitely recommend that any mother who would like to breastfeed should spend the money on a better quality breast pump, whether it is manual or electronic. Also, do your research and read reviews before buying and don't do like I did and buy a pump based off of just the price.

Not a pump I cared for

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I did not care much for this breast pump. I needed something while I waited for wic to let me get a pump from them so I bought this one. It was very uncomfortable and only had one size piece. It would constantly leak while I was trying to pump and I would lose quite a bit of breast milk. When I used this I could only get one ounce per breast in 40 minutes, but when I used Medela I was able to get 5 ounces each breast in about 20 minutes. I don't feel it was worth it to buy it because of how much it leaked and how uncomfortable it was. I kept it only so if I was in the car I could pull over and pump or if I was working I could go in during my break. That was the only use I got out of it. My hand also got sore after a while of pumping. But because it would pump so little, I would have to pump so long.

Comfort
Not comfortable, only had one size for pumping.

Comes apart easily to be cleaned.

It didn't seem very durable.

It was simple to use.

Avent Manual Breast Pump

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I think the Avent Manual Breast Pump is the ideal ratio of inexpensive versus performance. I think it was possibly the cheapest breast pump on the shelf and you might therefore think it won't hold up, but I totally disagree. I even subsequently purchased a powered breast pump but reverted back to this manual version because the powered version was slightly painful. This manual pump is effective, durable and easy to clean. There were a couple of occasions when I had a problem getting suction but someone recommended to me dampening down my breast with a warm cloth before starting and that did the trick. I like the fact that it attaches straight to the bottle and therefore there is less washing up. I packed it in my travel bag every day we went out in case there was times I was 'bursting' but it wasn't convenient to feed my son yet. This is an effective, yet simple innovation and I would definitely recommend it.

Go with an electric one

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

If you have ever been one of those people who think breastfeeding is painful, this pump will prove you right. It squeezes so hard to get a few drops of milk out. The manual pumping is also tiring, and everytime I went to open and close the pump it sounded, and felt like it was going to break. An electric one is much better, a little more pricey, but it's more comfortable and you get good results (a lot of milk).

Definitely worth it!

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

When I got pregnant with my daughter, I knew I had to give breastfeeding another chance. So I went searching for a portable breastfeeding pump so daddy can feed her too. This pump worked marvelously. I could not ask for a better pump. I would manually pump and in 5 minutes my 4 oz was full. It had lots of suction and it was painless. It also saved me when I was full when my daughter started sleeping more at night. I couldnt have not gone the whole night without pumping. By the time, my daughter was 6 month exclusively breastfeeding, I had a stash for a whole month in my freezer. It is definitely worth buying it and trying it for yourself. Its easy to use and to clean and to sterilize. The only downfall is that you have to use Avent bottles because of the wide bottles. The wasnt problem for me because I loved those bottles so its all good.

It was very comfortable.

It lasted me 2 years and now my sister has a baby and he is 8 months and still using it. Works like wonder.

It is so basic, theres is no reason for it not to be easy to use once you know how to do it!!

Avent Pump Works For Me

from Leesport, PA

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I tried Avent products when I had my first son and have not looked back. The Avent pump are easy to use. As a full time working mom this product worked for me. Very good product.

Using this product with my second son. Nothing wrong with it.

• Versatility:

I Can Not Rave About This Pump Enough! It is AMAZING!

from Podunk, NY

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

When I decided to nurse my daughter, the first thing I did was go out and buy an entire set of Avent products. One of those products I got was the Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump.

I had experience with breast pumps in the past when I was nursing previously and none of them were impressive, in fact, it was so frustrating that I ended up not bothering with them.

Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump, on the other hand, was a different experience entirely. The pump works like I wished the previous ones had. Pump was comfortable, FAST, and efficient.

Comfort
The Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump is the most comfortable pump that I have ever used. The pump is efficient and comfortable- fits very well, and does not cause any discomfort at all. I never had a situation arise where this pump was not comfortable at all.

This pump was easy to clean and get ready to use again. Despite the fact that my daughter hated the Avent bottles, the pump was great to clean and easy to use.

This pump has lasted many years. It is durable and works just as well as it did when I got it new.

Versatility
If my daughter had liked the Avent bottles, this pump would have been the most versatile pump ever. You just pump into the bottle, put on a ring and nipple, and you are good to go. Unfortunately, my daughter hated the Avent bottles, but she would drink the milk from other bottles with no problem.

This pump was one of the most fantastic pumps ever. It is comfortable, VERY easy to use, and FAST. I could not believe how quickly and comfortably this pump emptied each side and extracted the milk for storage or feeding. It does not get easier than this! To think it is manual too, I can not rave enough about this pump!

• Versatility:

I have loved using this breast pump

from Ann Arbor, MI

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I have had my Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump for about 2 months.  I am a stay at home mother with a 2 month old.  I use this breast pump about once or twice per week.  I use it to pump while at home and then be able to take the bottle of expressed milk to places where it would be inconvienient to breastfeed.  One example of this is when I went to renew our car registration and sat waiting for 3 or so hours.  I was able to take expressed breastmilk so that when my baby woke up hungry, I could just feed him from the bottle.  I am not very comfortable about breastfeeding in public places even though I know all I have to do is throw a baby blanket over myself and let my baby eat.  I prefer to have the convenience of pumping while in the comforts of my own home and then taking that milk when we go places for more than a couple of hours.   I have not had any problems with this breast pump.  I am sure that it isn't the fastest thing around or that it may not be the most comfortable breast pump out there, but it works great for my needs.

Great Maual Pump

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I really like the **Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump.  I have an electric pump, but a lot of times I found that it was much easier to just use the maual one.  You are able to get better flow when controlling it manually than with an electric pump.  It attaches directly to the Avent Bottles.  This is great if you use Avent bottles, but a pain if you don't becasue they have a much wider mouth than many other bottles.  I used Avent, so this was a great thing.  The ****Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump comes in a carrying case that is insulated, so you have all that you need when you go to punp if you are out and about.  The pump is small and relatively easy to clean and put together.  The ****Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump is easy to use and allows you to provide breastmilk to your baby even if you can't be with them during feeding time.  I think this is well worth the money, and is really on the cheap side of pumps anyway!**

Versatility
Since it is small and non-electric it can go anywhere.

• Versatility:

I couldn't believe how poor the results were.

from Kennewick, WA

Comments about Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump:

I decided to get a breast pump when I was pregnant with my first child and so I researched some and decided this manual Avent pump was the way to go based on the great reviews I read.  I was greatly disappointed.  I like that it came with four bottles (two different sizes) and a cooler pack with ice packs included.  The pump is lightweight which is nice, but that is about the only positive thing I can say about this pump.  I began to wonder if I was missing a piece or some instructions because I could just not get it to work.  The pump had no suction and produced hardly any results in a long period of time.  I tried repeatedly to get it to work and even asked my husband to try and help me figure it out.  I had an easier time expressing milk by hand than using this pump!  Since my bad luck with this pump I haven't tried any others so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I know that this one was not worth my money or time trying to get it to work.