View more breast pumps

Avent Isis IQ DUO

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

The Avent Isis IQ Duo is quiet, comfortable, and efficient.

I bought the Avent Isis IQ DUO while I was pregnant with my first child and planning on returning to work after the birth. My daughter was born small and had a very difficult time latching on for the first month, so I had to pump almost constantly for those first few weeks. The DUO allowed me to easily adjust the pressure of the pump at times when I was feeling sore. The DUO mechanism allows you to pump both breasts at the same time. While both hands are required to hold the mechanisms in place, the pump can be easily stopped, started, and adjusted with one of the hands. One mechanism has a stop/start button as well as a pump handle that allows you to set the exact pressure and speed you wish to pump at. The plastic pads are comfortable, even on sore and/or chapped nipples. The pump comes with a bag that makes it very easy to transport and pump anywhere. This was important for me as I had to go to a special room at work in order to pump, so I was moving my pump multiple times a day. The pump attaches to a four piece funnel system for each breast. The pieces are very easy to clean. I was also able to find an additional set fairly easily so that I could pump twice a day while at work without having to completely wash and sterilize the first set of pieces. Each set consists of a funnel, a plastic cushion that fits next to the breast, a pliable plastic pump piece that allows the suction to occur and a valve. The valves do eventually wear out can be replaced very inexpensively.

The DUO is very efficient, because it pumps both breasts at one time and it allows me to set the optimum pumping level for myself. I was able to completely pump both breasts (an average output of about 14 ounces at a time) in about 30 minutes from start to finish. This would include setting the pump up, pumping, sealing up the milk for storage, and rinsing off the used funnel pieces and repacking the pump.

I have also found the DUO to be a lot quieter than other pumps. I have used the pump in rooms with family and/or friends and been able to hold a conversation at normal volumes, watch TV without having to crank it up, or read a book without undue distraction. Several of my friends have commented on how quickly and quietly the pump worked for me.

By the time my second child came along we had decided to have me stay at home. I still wanted to have milk stored up for when I needed to be out or something happened to me. I was producing enough milk that my daughter would only eat from one breast at a time, leaving me to pump the other one. The DUO can also be used to pump just one breast by only hooking up a set of funnel pieces to the main controller and leaving the other one alone.

If I were to be traveling, the pump also comes with the pieces required to turn your funnel sets into a hand pump. This would allow me to easily pump a bottle in the car or other private location and then feed the bottle immediately to my child. The valve, handle, and suction piece all require different pieces for the hand pump so I simply left these in a bag inside my pump bag so that I would have them if I ever needed them in case the power was out or I was away from an electrical outlet.

The bag itself is a very discreet black bag. I never felt conspicuous carrying it in and out of the office. It could easily accomodate the pump, four full sets of funnel pieces, and four bottles. It even comes with two thermal bags for storing the milk bottles in during transport. The bag is designed so that you do not have to completely remove the pump in order to use it. You hook two cables into the pump hub, plug one cable into the wall and hook up your funnels and you are ready to go. The pump hub never leaves the bag. The bag is designed to have a picture slot over the pump hub, but the window is oddly sized, being too small for a normal 4X6 shot, or even for a wallet size picture to stand upright. I put a picture of my child in there, but it was a wallet and I had to turn it sideways in order for it to fit in the window.

The pump does require the use of Avent bottles, so I went with the Avent system to feed my child. I found for storage, however, that any milk I was putting in the freezer stored better if I transfered it to breast milk bags. If you are not wanting to use Avent bottles, I remember seeing adapters for other bottles online.

I found the Avent Isis IQ DUO to be quite a bit less expensive than comparable pumps available from my doctor or the hospital, particularly those available for renting.

Overall the Avent Isis IQ Duo is efficient, convenient, comfortable, and quiet. It let breast pumping fit easily into my schedule and into my daily life.

One size does NOT fit all

I read many reviews about breast pumps before I decided on the Avent Isis IQ Duo double electric pump.  It seemed to have the best reviews and I liked the idea of the petals to help increase milk ejection.  Once I started pumping, I quickly realized this was not the pump for me.  It was extremely painful and I had barely any milk ejection.  Reading through the troubleshooting tips in the manual, I decided to try taking the petals out and just using the funnel.  This made the problem even worse.  After speaking with a lactation consultant, I found out that I needed a different size funnel because of my nipple size.  I had no idea that nipple size played such a big role in pumping!  I called Avent to find out whether there was another size, and unfortunately, they only offer one size.  I was completely shocked to find that out!  Why would such a huge, reputable company only offer one size funnel for their pumps?  If I continued to use this pump, I could have risked clogged ducts, decreased milk supply, and infection because of the size.  Avent was very good about the situation and offered a full refund for the product, which I appreciated.  However, I would not recommend this pump at all because all women are different and this pump does not take that into consideration.

Best Electric Pump Available

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

This Avent Double Electric breast pump is hands-down the best investment I made as a breastfeeding and pumping Mom. The comfort of the flanges is exceptional, and the massaging action allows for extremely efficient milk collection. I used this pump, as well as a Medela double electric, and there was NO comparison in how much better the Avent performed. I have recommended the Avent Isis Double Electric breast pump to many Mom friends and would purchase it again, if ever needed.

I put this pump to use several times a day for over six months when I returned to work. There were never pump or motor issues encountered and after extended use the pump and its parts still look brand new. It held up beautifully for the duration I needed it and I believe it still has a lot of life left in it! The parts are easy to connect, disconnect and clean. The storage case offers a discrete way to tote everything together. The pump simply draws more milk than any other I tried in a quick and comfortable way.

Love it!

from florida, USA

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I used this pump with my second son, after using a Medela for my first. One difference I really liked about the Avent Isis Breastpump was the silicone inserts that aide in holding onto the breast. These inserts helped tremendously when breastmilk got into the cup to keep the breast stable and keep suction level adequate.

Comfort
The silicone inserts also helped with the comfort level. Sometimes the plastic breast cups were slightly uncomfortable when breasts were tender, but the silicone acted as a very nice cushion.

All parts are dishwasher safe, so cleaning was pretty easy.

The egg-shaped pump was not as durable as my previous Medela pump. My older son knocked it off the table a couple times and it had to be fixed each time. However, although the Medela was more durable, I would buy the Avent again over the Medela.

This pump was very easy to use. Simply attach tubes and plug in.

• Versatility:

Not worth the money - not made for large breasts

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I purchased this pump with my first child. I had decided to pump, because breast feeding did not work for me.
It worked well the first week while I was engorged and milk was flowing great. As soon as I was unable to return it - I started to notice that this wasn't the pump for me.
The flanges/horns (funnel shaped things) were too small and my nipples did not fit completely. The massaging petal inserts were a joke. Milk got trapped underneath. They would also occasionally pinch. It was almost more comfortable with out them.
The pump did have variable speed and sucking strength. It was determined by how hard and fast you pulled the lever. It took me awhile to get used to getting the same speed each time.
It was relatively easy to clean - all the pieces came apart and I washed with the bottles every night. I kept the pieces fully put together in a ziploc bag in the fridge between pumping sessions.

Overall, I would not recommend this pump to another new mom. Consider renting the hospital or purchasing a medella which has interchangeable parts for different sized women.

My Avent Isis IQ DUO is something I take with me every day

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

My significant other bought the Avent Isis IQ DUO breast pump for me so that when I went back to work I wouldn't have to spend as much time pumping as I would with a manual pump. I haven't had any problems with this pump at all and I've using it 5 days a week for about 8 months now. It's very simple to use and the directions are not complicated to follow. They give you two silver bags to store your pump parts in, so that if you put the horns in the refrigerator at work nobody knows what's in them. It also comes with 2 insulated bags to store the bottles in, along with freezer packs to keep them cold if you are going out. I bought this particular breast pump because the motor is billed as "hospital grade" and I wanted to make sure my milk supply wouldn't suffer from not having enough consistent suction. There is only one button to press to start and stop a session, and you use the handle like a manual pump to set the suction force and speed. After you save your preferred pumping speed, you can just press the button to start the next session.

Overall, I really like this breast pump and the time it saves me by being able to double-pump. There is also a car charger (not included with the pump) that can operate the pump if you don't have access to an electrical outlet.

Happy with the Avent Isis IQ DUO breastpump

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I bought the Avent Isis Duo pump for my second baby. I had exclusively pumped with my first baby, so I knew how important it is to choose a quality breastpump. I decided to go ahead and make the big investment to get a quality breastpump for my second baby in anticipation of problems with direct breastfeeding. I started using this pump right after my baby was born to relieve engorgement. This pump works amazingly well. You have the power to adjust the speed and compression level to your liking and comfort level. It is very easy to adjust and I found the pump to be very comfortable. One thing that I do not like is that you have to hold each pump head against each breast, so both hands are completely occupied. My previous pump had one handle that the heads attached to. This pump is fast and efficient and also very quiet. I like that it is compatible with all other Avent bottles. The pieces are easily cleaned and assembled and once you get the hang of it goes rather quickly. I would recommend this pump to all breastfeeding moms, especially moms that are going back to work.

I love it!

from Grosse Pointe, MI

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I love this product.  When I was pregnant with my second I wanted to buy a high quality electric breast pump.  I had no idea what pump to buy.  One of the problems that I had was that i didn't understand what else I should buy besides the pump.  I choose the Avent pump, because the box stated that everything that I needed was in it except for extra freezer storage bags.  The pump was pretty easy to put together.  T first I wasn't really much milk, but I did not give up.  I did not know if the problem was me or the pump.  I kept trying and about a week later I had so much milk.  I was able to nurse my baby and pump extra milk for when I went back to work.  I ended up pumping for twelve months using this Avent pump.  I love.  I bought the bottles that go with the pump.  Those bottles ended up being my son's favorites bottles too.  There is a hotline and website to go with the pump if you need help.  The bad things were that the pump costs a lot of money.  With all the milk I was able to pump, it was worth it.  I still own it!

One size does NOT fit all

from Warrenton, VA

Best out there!

from Newnan, GA

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I have been pumping full time for five months and this is my third pump. I also have the medela harmony (manual) and the ameda purely yours (double electric). Of the three, I like this one the best, by far.

PROS:

- It is quieter than the ameda, but it's no mouse. My husband sleeps through it fine.

- I like being able to control the suction.

- This pump may have more parts, but they are so easy to clean! This pump is much easier to clean than either of my other pumps. It's the main reason I got this over the medela pis (which is set up about the same as the medela harmony) -- I have washed it by hand and in the dishwasher. NO PROBLEM. Just to demonstrate the difference, the way the medela pump is set up, you cannot get the some of the inner parts, not even with the little nipple brushes. If you don't clean the medela pump right away, it gets awful. I have to use a toothpick to clean parts of it. With this pump, though, you can easily reach all parts.

- This pump is made very very well. The parts for my other two look/feel very cheap. These parts are so much more durable. If I weren't pumping exclusively, I wouldn't feel I needed to buy any spare parts.

- This pump has covers! No more throwing the open pump parts around! You can cap off the open flange and where the pump meets the bottle. Much more sanitary!

- I've read reviews by people who say that using this pump gets messy because milk puddles around the massage petals. Well, a little bit of milk does pool, but I have that problem with any pump. I wear a pumping bra, and I find that when I release suction, the milk gets caught between the flanges and the petals, which hold it in there. I find that if I remove the petal and hold the bottle under it, the milk drops right into the bottle! Bottom line: this is less messy than any of my other pumps.

- I can pump more in slightly less time. There is a learning process for this pump, as it's different than my other two, but once you get it, it's more efficient. And complete control of the speed and suction is excellent! - For this price (I got mine on sale) they really did put a lot of thought and consideration into this pump. They thought of almost everything.

CONS:

- My other pumps use standard size bottles, and Avent makes it clear that their pumps are not standard size. I knew this beforehand, but I'm still a little sad about it. They make you use ALL of their equipment, and their bottles are much more expensive than the cheap little gerber ones that for some reason are my daughter's favorite. Also, I'd like to be able to pump directly into storage bags, but since Ameda does not make any, I cannot.

- There is a trick to using this pump -- you have to have it set up perfectly or you'll get really frustrated really fast. You need to pump next to a table where you can put the bases for the bottles so they don't come over, and you have to be sitting on a relatively flat surface. So although the bag for this pump is excellent, the pump isn't very portable. I can't vouch for using it in a pumping room at work, because I never have.

Overall, it's not perfect, but I really feel that this is the best pump on the market today.

Great for home use!

from Dothan, AL

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I absolutely love the Avent Isis Duo...at home. although they advertise it as easily portable, i gave up on trying to take it to work.(switched to the avent manual pump). It may be different for those who have their own private office to work with, but not in my situation. loading and unloading 3 times a day took up almost 5 minutes...which doesn't sound like much unless you only have 15 minute breaks. However, i have the pump stationed in one spot at my house where i can pump at night. I like the design of the pump. Its very easy to take apart and clean all the pieces. I appreciate being able to start out manually during the let down stage, then easily transitioning to the electric with just a touch of a button on the handle. the handling is comfortable. being able to pump both sides at once is SUCH a time saver. and the price difference is not the much for duo compared to the time you save. it is appropriately priced if you know you will use it as much as i do. otherwise i would go with just the manual pump.

The easiest and most convenient pump!

from Sioux Falls, SD

Comments about Avent Isis IQ DUO:

I absolutley loved this breastpump!  It was so convenient and easy to use - It is worth every penny.  I loved that you can pump directly into the Avent bottles that you use for feeding.  It is so convenient to do it this way - so much less to clean up and also quicker and easier to get bottles ready for daycare the next day.  I always brought the nipples, etc. for the bottles and just got the bottles ready for the next day when I was finished pumping.  It saved me a lot of time and hassle.  The pump is also very quiet and very easy to use.  You can adjust the speed the way it works best for you and it is quick too. The pump comes with a great supply of bottles, ice packs, covers, cooler bag, etc.  The bag was easy to carry and to store everything inside.  It even comes with a hand pump in case you don't want to use the electrical part.  I would say that this pump is probably the best out there.