1.9

1.9

Pros

Cons

Fine Insurance Company

I was a claims rep for fifteen years.  Though I worked for a competitor that sold through independent agents, I was always impressed by the way Auto Owners Insurance claims staff handled both auto and homeowners losses.  Auto Owners claim reps were fair, honest and prompt.  When I left the insurance field, I shopped my auto and homeowner's insurance for the first time in fifteen years.  I was disgusted with the insurance industry in general, and, knowing the industry VERY well, I was rather dubious of the agents and companies out there.  I went with Auto Owners because compared to my former employer (and insurance company), and seven other carriers sold by independent agents, Auto Owners was substantially less expensive.  State Farm and Allstate didn't even come close to touching Auto Owners.  My premium dropped over $500 annually between the home and auto, and I increased my coverage on both policies.  Every year my rates dropped because of no claims.  Until... my son totalled our Volvo in an ice storm.  I was not surprised that I had no problems with the claim service.  I got a very fair settlement for the car within a week.  Yes, my rates went up with a surcharge for three years.  However, my auto rates went down a bit each year since we had no losses in those years.  The insured value of our home has gone up due to increased replacement cost.  But, my homeowners' premium has decreased!  I now pay less per year than I did five years ago for all my policies with Auto Owners.

As far as the gentleman with the claim problem goes, the problem was not with Auto Owners.  The problem might have been with Crawford and Company.  Many insurance companies do not have claims reps in all regions.  Therefore, insurers use indepenent claims adjusters to handle claims that occur in those areas.  There are good and bad independent adjusters, and I worked with both types when I was in the business.  Sadly, maybe the man got a less than desirable independent claim adjuster.  Unfortunately, an adjuster's poor service reflects on the insurer.  If the adjuster was a problem, I can reason that Auto Owners probably does not use that branch of Crawford and Company any more.  Also, we don't know how the man dealt with the claims rep.  We only have one side.  There are folks who are difficult when they have any  claim.  Being far from home when one has a loss is a bad experience.  That is compounded by a person who is unreasonable.  Unless we hear the whole story, I will not believe that Auto Owners made an error.

I am very pleased with Auto Owners Insurance Company.

This Company is a Joke.

Run from them! My neighborhood was hit by a storm that caused hail damage to everyone's property...except ours according to Auto Owners. Every house on our street received new siding and a roof except our house which is on the large corner lot and exposed on 3 sides. We fought tooth and nail and we were denied every time. The initial inspector was 40 minutes late and spent 10 minutes inspecting our house. We requested a new inspection and a representative was supposed to come and inspect. She showed up with her assistant. The representative had an injured leg and was not able to go up on the roof. She sent her assistant up with our contractor and when he pointed out damage she just looked confused and said she "needed to take a picture because she wasn't sure what kind of damage it was". After months of going back and forth we canceled our insurance and moved to a new company. A year later when another storm hit the new insurance company didn't bat an eye at our claim. We had our check and repairs done in a month. Also, when we switched we realized how much this horrible company was overcharging. I switched companies and added life insurance to my policy and was still saving $800 a year!

Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

Worst Insurance Company I have ever dealt with

from Highlands Ranch, Co

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

Auto Owners was the Insurance carrier for a sewer cleaning company we hired to clear a blockage in our sewer line. The sewer co. caused an overflow that did extensive damage to our house. The liability claim was sent to Auto Owners and they accepted the liability. From that point forward things went downhill, the claims adjuster, a young woman, refused to answer numerous attempts to contact her to check on the progress of our claim. We ended up hiring an attorney in an attempt to get a settlement on the claim, when she finally made an offer, nearly three months later, it was so low that it would not cover the cost of repairs. Short of a law suit we determined that we would not be able to settle with Auto Owners and finally filed a claim with our home owners insurance. We had a preliminary settlement within two days. It is also worth noting that the manager of the Auto Owners office that we were trying to deal with was also totally unresponsive. I truly feel sorry for any one insured with this bogus company!

A total fraud

from San Jose, Caliafornia

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

This company is a master of "double talk" starting with the President's office down to the claims representative. It is the most unresponsive company I have ever dealt with. The insurance commission should look into their practices because it is a full of fraud. They don't even have the courtesy of returning calls and this after being a customer for over 17 years. I would not recommend this insurance company to my worst enemy. Nothing, whatsoever, can I say anything positive about this supposed "number 1 in customer satisfaction" company. When I asked the manager of claims how that was determined he did not know! Can you believe it!

Wonderful Company Negative reviews unwarranted

from Atlanta Ga

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

Number one in claims for the past years! I have had nothing but a wonderful experience with Auto Owners. Great price even better value!! Wonderful coverage at a fair price!! Married 30 years old 2 cars full coverage clean record $900 a year 250/500 liability. Good luck beating that.

Great rates, horrible customer service!

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

My condo association has been insured by them for over 15 years, never had any claim or reason to contact them until recently when we had roof damage from a story. Their claims adjuster called one time, a week after we had told them we had a claim through our independent agent. A week later our agent had to contact him again since we hadn't heard anything more and he hadn't been out to assess the damage. He finally came out the following week - so far, 2 weeks since we first contacted them. I met him at the property, he had someone else go up on the roof to take pics and took pics, then told me he would get me numbers the next day. A week later and once again I haven't heard from him. We're going to have the repairs done just because we can't wait any longer, but my confidence in this company's ability to support a claim is about zero. Time to shop for a new insurance company. All I've seen so far is incompetence.

Worst claim service ever

from Waynesville ohio

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

I had the worst experience with AOI in Miamisburg Ohio. I even call the regional director and he said there is nothing he can do it is up to the local office. Beware RUN...do not use them.

no problem people turned into a Big Problem

from Tomahawk, Wisconsin

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

Very disappointed with Auto Owners & CIS Group Insurance. Undetected water damage from a tiny leak in the furnace caused floor damage over time. There was no sign of water damage until the floor developed a mysterious 10-inch bubble. Because the damage was not reported within 14 days of the first drip - Auto Owners has denied my claim. I wish my psychic powers were better so I could have known of this first drip. And the customer service from the local agent was....actually, there was no customer service. Not much peace of mind with this insurance.

My worst insurance experience ever!

from Phoenix, Arizona

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

My 83 year old mother purchased a homeowners policy through an agency in Fargo, North Dakota called Dawson Insurance.Her shower leaked and ruined a wall and the surrounding flooring. I helped her with the claim. There was a total lack of communication and service on Auto Owners part. After a year of going back and forth with them asking me to do all of the research and legwork they should have done, the claim was denied.I don't even think the price was all that good, especially considering the "service". I use Liberty Mutual. When I make a claim, I get a check in less than a week.

Not impressed

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

Really not impressed. After having water damage from a leaking roof in the winter, they only wanted to pay for the cosmetic damage in the home. The source had not yet been identified due to the winter conditions outside. I guess they just wanted us to continue to pay deductibles, damages not to mention the premium that I am sure they would have increased. Also,they questioned who we were able to get to address the problem when water was leaking all the way down to the basement and at no time offered instruction on whom they wanted us to use. Their final offer was insulting, so much so that we didn't file the claim and i will be changing insurers.

Liars, Thieves, and Defrauders

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

First claim ever on an auto policy. They low-balled the car's value, high-balled the cost of repairs. Appraiser called the car "good" and the home office arbitrarily reduced it to "fair." When asked for an explanation and to "show the math" of how they reached their values, they refused to speak in layman's terms that we could understand. They did backtrack on the fair market value when I showed them comp cars, but not by much. What seals the deal on their rating is the fact that when I called for retail prices of the parts they said my car needed, they had inflated their price by 2.5 times. This is called fraud.

Customer Service
Adjuster was obstructive, refused to explain things, refused to provide supervisor's name and number, had his "supervisor" call - a man, who told me they were not committing fraud but still refused to explain how they arrived at their figures. When I contacted the home office, I discovered the manager of the office was, in fact a WOMAN, and not a man.

Available Plans
I would never recommend this company. The BBB won't even endorse them.

Auto Owners Insurance

Comments about Auto-Owners Insurance:

I had a house fire in October of 2011 in Manton, Michigan and had Auto Owners through Blick Dillon Agency in Cadillac Cadillac , Michigan for my home insurance. they did not give me anything close to what my house was worth I ended up having to pay on a house that was burned for a year after my fire and they never did settle with me or contact me about the closing my case as to this day we have not had anyone contact us its been three years . I am so disappointed with this company, I also had to pay for insurance on the house that was burned because it was not paid for yet our lender needed insurance on the house , I would not recommend these people to anyone . there will be a reckoning day for what happened to me and my husband .

Customer Service
Very poor customer service Traverse city Michigan.

Available Plans