View more laptops

ASUS
UL30VT-X1
Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC

Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC

Possible long battery life, makes it a good buy

from Bay City, MI

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

If you turn off everything, the battery life is amazing, if you leave some things on, you will still outlast others even with your battery under 25%.  Its quite capable, though haven't seen 12 hours of life yet either.  I will eventually play games on it, but as of now its just surveys to pay it off haha.  Priced a bit high for a product that is behind the times technically.  But a good buy none the less.  If your looking for long battery life, or occasional gaming, look no futher and buy this.

One negative, often when it comes back from standby/sleep, its unresponsive for a few minutes other than mouse movement, you can't click or alt+tab etc to do anything.

Battery Life
After a year of use, battery life is less than half of what I bought it. Now its 3-4 hours, the life of the average cheapo laptop. I bought it for the long battery life to take on long flights, now its basically worthless for that. This is with all essentials turned off or down too.

I've dropped it a number of times, it still works lol, though it was in a neoprene sleeve, and not from too high of a drop.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

ASUS UL30VT-X1 is an amazing laptop

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

The ASUS UL30VT-X1 is an amazing laptop.  It's got great battery life, high performance and is a light weight, sleek piece of hardware.

Build Quality - This laptop is a built to please.  The chasis is not too plasticy feeling with the cheap sense you would get with some other laptops.  The top of the lid for the laptop is covered in brushed aluminum which adds to the asthetic and eye candy.  The screen is not too flimsy and I'm not afraid to carry this thing around in my hands without a case.  The keyboard is great with the chiclet design and is conducive to a great typing experience.  The only thing I have a problem with is the viewing angle of the screen, it is noticebly crappy in the vertical direction and sometimes I find myself having to readjust the screen to get a better view.

Performance - This laptop has Nvidia's switchable hybrid graphics.  This technology is amazing.  It pairs an intel integrated video chip for battery saving with a discrete Nvidia card for high performance.  With the integrated card running along with wifi and bluetooth and 50% screen brightness, I get upwards of 7-8 hours of battery life.  Turning off wifi extends it to almost 10 hours!  This thing is a beast.  The CULV processor is not pushover, possessing a dual core downclock core2duo processor.  ASUS includes an overclocking utility to overclock the cpu to 1.7GHz.  Paired with the discrete Nvidia card, this laptop can handle games like Modern Warfare 2 and Starcraft 2 on lower settings.  It's great for gaming on the go and getting work done at the same time!

Overall - I love this laptop.  I bought this to replace a netbook because I was getting sick of the lack of performance.  I must say that this 11" laptop definitely fits the bill, allowing me to go home from school and still keep up with my gaming, school work and more!

Asus UL30Vt, Portable and Powerful

from Clarksville, MD

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

My dad was looking for a laptop that was portable enough to travel with on a regular basis but also powerful enough to be his primary machine. I had heard very good things about the Asus UL30Vt and since it was very reasonably priced with impressive specifications, I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did, as this computer holds back no punches. The notebook packs 4 GB of ram and a speedy 500 GB hard drive to go along with a Intel Core 2 Duo CULV processor that can be overclocked. My one concern was the processor, but it proves plenty capable to handle heavy multitasking with Windows 7. The laptop also doesn't have an optical (DVD) drive, but optical media is on its way out as we move towards the cloud anyways. Additionally, the battery life on this notebook is very impressive. Heavy use gets me at least six hours, stretching all the way to ten hours with moderate use. Overall, an almost perfect notebook.

It's pretty okay

from Hyde Park, NY

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

I love the keyboard and how it's spaced out, and the screen is nice and big. There are no internal conflicts, and it has great battery power. The mouse, however, is horrible. It's hard to use, and hard to tell what is just the space around it. I can't brush my hand against it without screwing it up. If I'm typing something long, it often changes where I'm typing because I accidentally hit my hand against it. It also gets fingerprints all over and I'm one of those people who is bothered by that. If you're not, than go for it, because this is a generally fantastic computer, good for any kind of use. I would recommend buying a sereate mouse for it. My whole family uses it without any problems. It comes with Windows 7, which is a great system. There's also lots of memory too. It's up for lots of people using it often. It's a perfect family computer. It also gets really hot, the cooling feature doesn't really work well.

best bang/compromise for the buck

from West Palm Beach, FL

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

The dream that a gaming laptop is not portable and have acceptable (3+ hr) battery life is no longer a dream. With this perfectly sized laptop, you get to play most current games at the native resolution for the screen. Why is that important you say? well, games don't look good if they have to be resized for the LCD because LCDs typically have one resolution they're great at, and the rest look slightly blurry. Well, before this, most compact laptops (<13.3) did not have the graphic horsepower to project the native resolution, so this is a huge plus. In addition because of the processor choice, this laptop is still able to provide a long enough battery life for most to enjoy regular non-gaming computing if they're traveling. I cannot think of any laptop that blends battery life and performance as well as this one.

cons: no back lit keyboard, could definitely use a brighter/better lcd with increased viewing angles

pros: good battery life with acceptable performance. price

Decent portable notebook, crappy mouse

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

Purchased this ASUS UL30Vt almost a year ago from Newegg.    The processing power has been completely sufficient for my needs, mostly web browsing, powerpoint, streaming video, few games.  The long battery life has been excellent, as advertised.  I can pretty much use the notebook all day without being plugged in, only occassionally have had to plug it in before going to bed.  It's thin and lightweight.

The biggest problem with the notebook is the poor quality touchpad.  I think the fault lies in its one piece design, integrated into the rest of the notebook frame and not a separate component, like a Macbook for example.  I've also noted that the touchpad will activate even when I hold the notebook with my hand on the palmrests alone.  I think it bends the touchpad in such a way to simulate a mouse click, another fault of the unibody design.  Sometimes the touchpad stops responding to movement altogether, though clicking still works.  Almost wanted to toss the machine out the windows a few times.

The other problem is that the Wi-Fi does not automatically logon after waking from sleep or hibernation.  I've tried changing the power management setting to no available.

I will have to say that the keyboard has been excellent, but the screen not quite as crisp as my last Dell LED screen notebook.  Will likely be purchasing a Macbook of some kind as my next notebook when this one dies.

AMAZING LAPTOP

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

I love this laptop. It is thin, light, and powerful. I use it for business and personal use. It is quick with spreadsheets, word, web surfing, and multimedia. The laptop does everything I need it to do, and it is extremely light. I travel a ton, so a light notebook is essential. The switchable graphics is a great feature to extend battery life. When I am on 13-hour airplane rides, I switch my laptop to "Battery Saver" mode, and the battery will last me about 9 hours. When I am at home and the office, I have my laptop on "High Performance" mode, and it can handle almost everything. I've done photo editing on Corel before, and it works pretty well. The cooling feature that supposedly keeps your palms cool doesn't seem to really work though. In addition, there is no optical drive which is why it is so light. It does not bother me because I rarely used it, but some people should be aware of this.

the battery lasts forever

from Allston, MA

Comments about Asus UL30Vt Notebook PC:

One word - satisfied! This is my second laptop, and I got this one because I wanted a laptop that's not so heavy, 13inches, not too slow and long battery life. This was the one that fulfilled my needs. It's very light, less than 2.8kg. It's 13inches, although I think you could get the same spec with 14inches for cheaper price. The best thing about this laptop is the battery life. It seems to last forever; it's usually 8~10 hours. Yes, it is CULV, which is slowly disappearing in the market, since Intel no longer makes it. I've had this laptop for almost 3 months now, and it's been working very well. It runs windows 7. I think lots of people still install windows xp on this model instead of 7, but I wouldn't suggest that.Even though its CULV, and it might be very powerful, it's good enough for college students. I've not run photoshop, indesign or final cut on this computer yet, and probably won't even try just because its not deisgned for such heavy load of programs. It doesn't lag when I watch videos.