Other Insurance Companies:

Assurant

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

Get what you pay for when it comes to health insurance

Assurant provides 4 different networks of Doctors and Hospitals in OR providing you more choice in who you see.  If you need Cancer treatment they allow you to use any of their major Critical Care centers in the whole US and still be "in network".  Assurant does not limit prescription coverage but allows you to use up to your life time limit.  They also do not limit ambulance service and even take you to the hospital that provides the best care for your type of injury...not the nearest hospital.  As a Broker I provide coverage for all health insurance companies but choose to use Assurant for my own coverage.  They even have deductible only HSA's.Kyla WestfallHealth Insurance Specialist971-327-5792

Assurant Health medical insurance has worked for me

Over the last few years I have needed a short term medical insurance plan on two occasions. While I could have maintained coverage of my old insurance plan via COBRA payments, I found that in buying my own insurance I could get pretty good coverage at a lower price. That's when I found out about **Assurant Health **medical insurance.

Buying your own health insurance requires some research and hard decisions. You don't want to spend too much of course, but having too little coverage, even if it saves some money on the premium, can also be a big mistake. One thing that attracted me to **Assurant Health **medical insurance** **was the variety of coverage options available. While the plans won't please everyone, at least they offer some choices so you can balance off premiums versus how much you are willing to pay out of your own pocket for medical costs.

**Assurant Health** offers medical insurance plans for both individuals and families. The length of plan varies from at least 30 days up to 1 year (but availability varies by state). As an individual I was given coverage options with deductibles ranging from $250 over the course of the policy up to $2,500 deductible. You can also choose a coinsurance amount ranging from 100% paid to as low as 50%.  There is also an option for how much total expense they would potentially pay for.

I chose a plan that offered a $1,000 deductible over the course of the policy (6 months in my case), a $2,000,000 maximum payout, and coinsurance of 80/20 (I would pay 20%). This policy cost me a little over $100/month, which compared to over $400/month for my COBRA payments!  I could have opted for greater deductibles and paid a lower premium, but overall this coverage worked for me.

But does the insurance actually cover anything?  Yes, but not surprisingly there are limitations and exclusions.  It wouldn't make sense for me to list all the exclusions and fine print, but in general pre-existing conditions are not covered. But there is a network of medical providers that you can use to get the highest degree of insurance coverage. Out-of-network care is covered too, but at a lower rate. Hospitalization, prescriptions, and dental care is also covered, although there is a time limitation. There are also weight restriction on the policy which at the time I bought was 300 pounds for men and 250 pounds for women, and this policy does not cover pregnancy costs.

I have only incurred one claim when using **Assurant Health **medical insurance in the two occasions I have had the policy and they paid what they were supposed to pay. But that is my only experience with their claims process. I also had a friend who used this coverage and she was happy with her experience as well.

What I liked was the ability to compare and contrast the various plans and decide which coverage policy would work for me. All the coverage information and health care network information is on their website or you can call for assistance. I paid for my policy by credit card over the internet, which immediately activated the insurance. I recommend **Assurant Health **medical insurance based on the two times I have purchased the coverage over the last two years. If you are interested you can get a quote on an insurance plan and buy it directly from the website in some states, while other states may require you buy it through an agent. There are restrictions on coverage, but if you can accept those restrictions this policy may be a good option for short term medical coverage.

Below Average Service

from Salado, TX

Comments about Assurant:

I started my renters policy through my car insurance carrier in August. I set up auto pay. A month later I was wondering why I wasn't receiving confirmation emails or any communication from them at all. I tried to log in through my car insurance acct and was given no information. So I went to the Assurant website where I tried to start an online account with the policy number I was given. The system told me it was invalid information. I figured there was some kind of mix up and the policy was cancelled. I'm extremely busy and just didn't have time to call and deal with them. Now 2 months later in October I finally receive a confirmation email that my payment will be taken out on a certain date. This is the first one I received!!! I called and asked them to move the payment date and was refused because I picked a date other than the one the system suggested when I created the policy. when I selected a payment date I was never told it can't be changed since it was altered from the system suggestion. Which by the way the date the system suggested to me was that days date! So no I didn't alter their billing period at all the system just wanted my payment dates to be the same as the day I created the policy. So I then requested to cancelled the policy. I didn't receive any I apologies or request on how the can do better next time. Nothing!!! Just a monotone woman who clearly has no customer service skills what-so-ever. What a joke of a company!

Appliance Service Contract - TERRIBLE service

from Roswell, GA

Comments about Assurant:

I have a Service Contract on a GE Washer and Assurant has been absolutely incapable of "Assuring" that GE Service (their contractor in this case) is able to complete the service. It has been 4 weeks and 4 service calls that STILL have not resulted in a repair. I have been without a washer for nearly a month, have taken 4 days off to be here for 4 service calls, and will now have to wait another week for a 5th service call. The problem has been misdiagnosed, technicians have arrived without the proper tools, and it is not clear that this next "guess" at what might be wrong will solve the problem. The "depreciated value" credit for an unrepairable product (at Assurant's sole discretion) is not worth the lost wages, expense to do laundry for a family of 4 at a laundramat for a MONTH, as well as the time and the frustration it has taken for Assurant to have this repair completed. No accountability whatsoever for either Assurant or GE Service.

You'll Be Sorry!

Comments about Assurant:

I was referred to this company by USAA. The Assurant sales reps say one thing, the underwriters a completely different story. This company will lead you on and then refuse to tell you why they will not write a policy even through they are required to do so. Even if you can get coverage, they will charge high premiums and even higher deductibles. I strongly recommend you keep looking. You will regret ever doing business with this company.

Customer Service
Reps refuse to explain their reasoning or why they will not issue a policy.

Available Plans
If the company refuses to issue a policy, they have no available plans!

• Available Plans:

Abslutely the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with

Comments about Assurant:

They continued to charge me premiums for two months after I cancelled my policy. I spent 3.5 hours on hold (no exaggeration) being shuffled from department to department until I finally reached someone who told me they had no record of ever having done business with me. Funny, they had no problems whatsoever locating my account to charge me every month, but couldn't find me at all when I wanted to cancel. Same problem arose when they denied claims to my providers--took me another 2.5 hours to find someone who acknowledged they'd used the wrong account number and would re-key the claim. I don't understand how a company can locate my account number without fail every month when they want their money, but can't find any records at all of me when I submit a claim or want to cancel my account. Totally unscrupulous and obstructionist. I know you get what you pay for, but they weren't even providing what little service I actually was paying for. NEVER AGAIN will I do business with them. I would rate them a zero, but "1" was the lowest option available.

• Available Plans:

Very highly priced renters insurance...

Comments about Assurant:

We were referred to Assurant Specialty Property by GEICO as we would receive a discount off of both policies. However, the little money saved by that discount was hugely offset by overcharging us by $300/year over Allstate insurance for identical coverage ($500 vs. just under $200). They also wanted $5 for each payment they sent a bill for even if it was automatically drafted via ACH bank account or credit card. So, you had to stay ahead of the bills. It was ridiculous.

If you get a quote from them, be sure to look around for other renters policies. I know GEICO uses different companies in various states, so some of their other renters insurance companies may offer better values than what we encountered in Texas. Then on top of paying the high premium, they didn't even underwrite the policy themselves. Property coverage was handled by one company and liability insurance was handled by another -- both reputable insurance companies -- but I would expect Assurant to have been able to do it themselves. It was a key reason their rates were so high and their agents admitted to it.

Be leary of this company. My wife worked for their lender-placed home insurance division and they were just as overpriced in that area, as well.

Customer Service
Their call center reps (licensed agents) were friendly, although they seemed very robotic when answering questions.

Renters Insurance Nightmare

Comments about Assurant:

This company is terrible!! Will not give you your full amount back if you have to file a claim, and withhold some of your money as "collateral" if you will for replacing stolen items. Been dealing with a claim for almost 90 days now, and not sure how long it will take to get the rest of my money once my receipts for items replaced are faxed in. What a joke!! If you do not heed this advice and decide to go with this horrible company, make sure if you own jewelry you ask about "scheduling" your items. They will not even inform you that you need to do this in order to get money back for your jewelry if it is stolen. Pretty shady way of working things.

Customer Service
Terrible service. Had to file a claim, and have been dealing with it for 90 days now with no resolution in sight.Supervisors and claim managers do not ever return phone calls, and customer service agents who answer the initial call do not know what they are talking about and will not let you speak with your case manager, ever! Horrible service and you are made to feel like you don't deserve to have your money sent to you to replace your things.

Assurant insurance(s)

from Austin, TX

Comments about Assurant:

Through my work, we have Assurant insurance for dental, life, critical illness and disability.

Customer Service
My work offiers Assurant plans for dental, life, critical illness and disability. The premiums are low, but the service is high. In the past, I had an issue with one of the dentists on the list of approved providers by Assurant...when the dentist office quit returning my phone calls, i contacted Assurant and they were able to be a liasion and help me work through the difficulty I was having. They helped me with locating another dentist in my area, that was also on the insurance plan that could meet my needs. In addition, each time I have had a question about any of my policies, I am able to call and very quickly am able to get a customer service representative on the phone. They are able to answer my questions quickly and effectively.

• Available Plans:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Assurant:

Very poor customer service. Everytime you call you start fromn square one. Full of misinformation. No one knows how to handle your claim. Faxed medical records 3 times. My last call today lasted 55 minutes and then they finnaly dropped my call. I cancelled immediately. Avoid this company at all costs!!!!

• Available Plans:

Assurant health is a descent insurance company

Comments about Assurant:

I bought a major medical policy when I had to have one for school about 5 years ago. It was a student policy and it was a great deal at the time. I also purchased a maternity rider 2 years after the major medical when we decided to have our first child. I luckily haven't ever had to use the major medical policy, but the maternity rider worked great. I never really had any issues dealing with the company. If I had a problem It never took me to long to be able to get a hold of a service representative to solve the issue. Unfortunately I got off the maternity rider after having my daughter and now they don't offer it anymore. The deductible really wasn't too bad for it either. The major medical policy that I bought has never gone up in price for me and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. But I know that they don't offer this policy anymore either. So for me Assurant health insurance has worked great, but I'm not sure how their polices and things would compare to others now.

Customer Service
I have always been able to solve any issues or problems that have come up when dealing with my policy.

Available Plans
The plans were good when I bought them. I'm not sure how they are now.

Do NOT work with you like a CLIENT

Comments about Assurant:

Made it impossible to get my money back after paying renter's insurance on a house that I hadn't lived at for two years. After sending multiple forms of proof as to my new residence/policy, they refused to pay me back. I'm out ~400$. The worst insurance.