2.9

2.9

Pros

Cons

Unforgettable service and comfort

I recently took a business class trip on Asiana last month to South Korea and Hong Kong and then back to Chicago. I can say, I usually have the hardest times falling asleep since I am a light sleeper, but I was able to fall asleep easily from the comfort and space of the seating. The food on the flight was also excellent, and even inbetween meal times, they had these "meal"-like snack options like petite croissant turkey sandwiches or ramen noodles which were great. On the last flight back home from HK back to Chicago, I was starting to get a little sick and the flight attendants were fabulous in helping me and getting me anything I needed. Overall, I had a pleasant experience with Asiana and I would recommend this airline to anyone flying abroad.

Asiana Airlines: Worst airline experience in four decades.

Here is my experience in dealing with Asiana Airlines --

Here is my experience in dealing with Asiana Airlines --

I set out to return home to Chicago on August 19 after spending eleven days with my wife and her family on our honeymoon in Cebu, Philippines. I was flying all the way from Cebu, Philippines to Chicago, Illinois. My flight from Cebu to Manila was with another airline, and my flight from Manila to Chicago was with Asiana Airlines. Unfortunately, my 9:30 AM flight from Cebu to Manila was delayed by one hour and thirty minutes.

After landing in Manila, I hurried as fast as I could to catch my 1:00 PM Asiana flight to Chicago via Seoul, South Korea.. Just as I was approaching the Asiana check-in area, the Asiana workers were in the physical process of putting up the cordon to close the registration line. If I had arrived just forty seconds earlier, I would have been there before they closed the line. The time on the wall clock read 12:22. A worker there told me that the line closed at 12:20, and that they would not let me take the flight.

I started to beg and to plead with the Asiana employees to just help me out. I tried to reason with them that it was not my fault that the flight from Cebu to Manila was delayed by ninety minutes. I also reminded them that the plane was not scheduled to depart for nearly another forty minutes. When it became clear that the Asiana employees were not going help me out, I became visibly flustered and distraught. I was literally shaking with frustration. The greatest insult with this whole incident occurred when the very Asiana employee who spoke with me at the gate started to smile at me in a self-satisfied manner and began to actually LAUGH at me -- both to my face and to her fellow employees. It seemed clear to me that this person was actually deriving pleasure in seeing an adult traveler reduced to such a powerless state.

I then went to the Asiana offices at the Manila airport. I spoke with a representative from that office, and she told me that the next available flight to Chicago was on September 12 (a day a full three weeks in the future), and that I could take either take that flight or try another airline to get back to Chicago. She told me to try another airline.

So I find myself on the other side of the world from my home without a ticket. Fortunately, another airline had one ticket left on  that same day (August 19), a 10PM flight to Los Angeles. Because I needed to get back home to work, I really had no choice but to buy that ticket, so I bought it. The cost of that one-way ticket was over eleven hundred US dollars.

But my trip was far from over. I still had to get my luggage in Los Angeles, and find a flight to Chicago which was still another 2500 miles away. I managed to buy a ticket to Chicago O'Hare departing at 11:40 PM that very night (August 19). The purchase price for that ticket was over three hundred dollars.

I am still very upset with my experience with the Asiana employees at Manila airport. They could have made my life a whole lot easier by being a little more flexible and a whole lot kinder to me. They way I was treated in Manila airport by Asiana employees was not only unprofessional, but downright cold-hearted and cruel. As a result of that experience with Asiana Airlines, all I received from them was the paltry partial refund amount of around two hundred dollars. Ultimately, this entire travel episode cost me the net sum total of an extra $1,200 US dollars.

As they remind us over the intercom at the end of flights nowadays, we do indeed have many airlines to choose from. With that knowledge in mind, I choose not not to give Asiana Airlines my business. My experience with Asiana Airlines was by far the worst airline experience in over four decades of extensive world and domestic travel. In the future, I plan to avoid giving my hard-earned dollars to Asiana Airlines. I encourage you to do the same.

callous unsympathetic employees

from raleigh nc

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I missed my flight from Inchun to Dallas despite arriving there almost 2 hours in advance due to kiosk not being able to find me on the passenger list. Although they recommend passengers to arrive 2 hours before flight time, this airport seems to require 3 hours. Because i wasn't going to check in any bags, i figured approx 2 hours wud be sufficient, but it wasn't and ended up missing my flight and all my connecting flights to the U.S. via American Air. As I was in dire need to catch the flight from HK to the US, and there weren't any other Asiana flights from Inchun to HK that day, I had to spend $500 on a different airline to get to HK on time. considering it was the Asiana's kiosk issue, I was hoping Asiana would at least partially reimburse $500. From a staff to local manager to general manager, they assumed ZERO responsibility: claimed there were several staff members to help and said kiosk would not have been mistaken. what exacerbated my anger was that they said i had no proof of my being at the airport at a certain time. so I found the airport bus driver--who remembered me--to testify that i was dropped off at a certain time, but Asiana staff completely dismissed that evidence. The whole experience was wretched as i got no sympathy, no apology….just callous heartless unsympathetic jerks who joined forces to defend relentlessly to avoid all responsibility. Asiana's customer service is non-existent--- from miss-Korea-wannabe-flight attendants' self-absorbed demeanors TO managements' defensive tactics. With all the pending law suits, one would think they try to compensate for plummeting publicity--go figure. I hope this is not reflective of korean corporate culture.

I certainly stepped out of my comfort zone here

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I was invited to go with my daughter in law to visit her family in Korea. We started looking for a bargain fare which I discovered doesn't exist when you are talking Korea but we decided to settle on a airline called Asiana. Going over we flew on a smaller aircraft than the one we came home on. Going, it was a smaller plane, looked somewhat tired and it was badly in need of a face lift. The seats were past cleaning and I voted should be replaced - I was miserable the whole trip. The trip home was totally different. The plane was larger, more comfortable and a lot more relaxing. It was like comparing night to day.

Service
The attendants were attentive on both flights however their English skills was lacking. I was fortunate to be traveling with someone who understood Korean and could translate for me.

In-Flight Accommodations
Like their American Airlines the food they served on both flights was terrible. I thought maybe it was because I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like but my daughter in law assured me, she didn't know what it was and we both agreed it was not good.

Asiana Airlines goofs on accommodations

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I would not use them again if an overnight transit and hotel is involved unless they can guarantee better arrangements. They were certainly not considerate of traveler's welfare.

Service
While in most ways this airline is comparable to others, I have to give a 1 to them for their overnight accommodations in Seoul while in transit. They took us to a motel that was almost 2 hours from the airport, after a 12 hour international flight. Then woke us up early for a return trip through morning rush hour traffic that was even longer.This was needless, ridiculous and exhausting. Afterward I swore I would not fly on Asiana again.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in flight accommodations were similar to other airlines, nothing outstanding. Very infrequent offering of drinks, Staff do not understand the principles of a gluten free meal, when a piece of bread is added to the tray. Otherwise, the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Great Accommodations

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I had a flight from South Korea all the way back to the US, so it was definitely a long flight. However, unlike the bad reviews, I thought Asiana Airlines was very top notch! I flew business class, and I got treated respectfully and was treated well. Since it was a long flight, there was a screen with a lot of movies and shows to watch- something I greatly appreciate. I also love Asian cuisine, so I didn't think the airline food was too bad. The only complaint I would have are the seats. The one I was sitting in didn't lean back all the way, and this was the same situation for my parents as well. However, the service was very nice and all the workers tried their best to accommodate my needs. Not only that, but my plane ticket was very cheap compared to other airlines, so I consider that amazing!

Service
There were many services available, and the people who worked there treated me very nicely. I could order extra food if I wanted to, as well as request an extra pillow and the workers would get it as soon as possible. They all had smiles on their face and were very considerate to me, even though I got sick multiple times. They are all there to help.

In-Flight Accommodations
The design of the plane was very nice- there was plenty of space to move without being too overcrowded. It was a very comfortable ride, and it's best for long airplane trips. There is a screen for you to watch TV shows and movies, and if you love Asian cuisine, you'll probably like the food. It's decent compared to other airline food, and the staff will help accommodate other food needs when needed.

Don't plan on sleeping

from united states

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

A couple of months ago, I flew Asiana Airlines for the first time from Seoul to Los Angeles. I selected the flight because it had the an amazing price for the seating options that were available on my rather last minute booking. After ending up in business class, I assumed that I would be able to sleep during my overnight flight. Asiana advertised that they had "lie-flat" seats in business. Unfortunately, the "lie-flat" seats did not lie perfectly flat, but hung down an extra 15-30 degrees which led to only a couple of hours of uncomfortable sleep.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in-flight accommodations on my Asiana Airlines flight to Los Angeles were better than I expected. While I complain that I was unable to sleep, at least the seat reclined to the angle that it did. I was expecting a decent meal, as I head read a couple of reviews stating that Asiana Airlines had decent food. The Korean meal that I dined on during my flight was better than some of the Korean restaurants I frequent in the greater Los Angeles area.

Impeccable service

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I was lucky enough to fly with Asiana Airlines twice, while living in South Korea during a military assignment, and oh what a difference that was compared to most American airlines! My husband and I flew to Japan, as well as to Thailand on vacation, and Asiana had the best deals money wise. Frankly, flying with Asiana (in economy class) almost felt like flying in Business class. The flight attendants all looked impeccable (not a hair out of place and all absolutely stunning!), they smiled the entire trip, they were extremely attentive, and bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable throughout the whole flights. If you are ever in the Asian part of the world, do give Asiana a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Service
Asiana flight attendants give top-notch service. Always smiling, always polite, they will do everything they can to make your flight more pleasant. What a change from flying with American airlines this is!

In-Flight Accommodations
Asiana's fleet is newer and in fantastic shape. The planes we flew on had larger seats (unheard of in the US, unless you are flying in business class), you had your very screen (which is becoming quite common on most airlines), tons of programs to choose from. The food was pretty good, even though I don't pay much attention to that, since my main concern is being comfortable rather than full during a long flight. If you fly within Asia, the food will most likely be Asian as well, something to be aware of if you are not into that sort of food.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

One of the most amazing airline ever!

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I am very surprised at the bad ratings by other people because this flight is one of the best I have ever been on and I have been on over 10 flights from different airline companies such as KLM, Emirates, Thai Airways, American Airlines, Korea Airway, Tiger Airways etc.

I took the flight from Singapore to Korea and vice versa, economy, the chair was big and comfy and the personal lcd screen was the right size. The range of movies on it are interesting as well and everything looked clean and nice. Well this experience was from two years ago so I hope nothing has changed since because I was hoping to take it again. The food is good too and the air stewards were all friendly and nice. It might be a 7hr flight but everything was nice and comfy and it made my flight really nice. They even have toothbrush and toothpaste in the lavatory. For a short flight like this I am really surprised.

Asiana from Chicago to Manila

from Woodridge, IL

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

This airlines doesn't have a lot of flights from Chicago (I think just two days, Thursdays and Saturdays). We took the EARLY flight (1AM) but that was ok because we wanted our 2 yr old to sleep most of the long flight if possible. I like the individual screens for each seat, it allowed us each to watch what we want and I was able to find a kids channel for my son. The flight attendents were nice enough and I was surprised to see these ladies helping people get there bags into the overhead bins. They were also forgiving when my son found the "call" button and had pressed it without us knowing it until the attendent arrived to ask what was needed. The trip to Korea and then Manila went without anything major happening.

The trip home was a bit more hetic due to a misunderstanding of the flight time. We arrived just before the flight was to leave and didn't have enough time to get chek-in and through security so missed our Saturday flight and had to stay in Manila until Monday. Asiana booked us on the Monday flight at no extra cost and had suggested some airlines we could try to get a flight out, but in the end we decided to save money and wait for Monday. The flight on Monday was delayed leaving Manila and we almost missed the connecting flight in Korea which was a bit stressful, but a guard allowed us through with our son so we could get to our flight and we were back in Chicago that night.

Overall, their flight crew seems nice enough and helpful. The agents in their Manila office tried to help best they could. I only wish I could have applied the flight to my Membership but I signed up afterwards and they do not apply previous flights (travel agent said up to 1yr - but I guess he was wrong).

Service
Very polite and professional. Always willing to help and customer oriented. Wish they were local but then they probably would have different people in service and it wouldn't be as good.

In-Flight Accommodations
It was very relaxing which is saying something for a flight that last over 10 hours for someone that had trouble sleeping on an airplane.

Unforgettable service and comfort

from chicago, IL

WORST THAN WORST

from Valencia, CA

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I was travelling with twins 2month old twins. I had asked if distilled water was available in the flight when i was booking and I was notified that it was. Before boarding the plane I once again asked if distilled water was available. Before takeoff I asked for distilled water and I was told that only mineral water was available. I had no choice but to give this to my babies who were only 2 months old! In addition service during our flight Korea-Mla. was horrible!!! - Our carryon bag, which contained blankets, formulas and other infant essentials were taken from us and we were advised it needed to be checked in, they took the bags before even telling us the flight was delayed! All my babies' needs were in that carryon bag. - Refreshments were served to the people waiting and the crew did not even bother to prioritize people with infants! When I asked for water coz I had to prepare formula, we were told "sorry no more water available" I even told them I am travelling with 2 infants. - We were asked to move to gate 38 and it was chilly, my son was very cold and we had asked for a blanket, it took the crew at least 20 minutes to get back to us saying blanket is not available!!?? Is this how you treat travellers with infants!? - Passengers with infants were not asked to board first!?!?! I purposely booked this flight since I heard service was great and that there was a happy mommy club, but booking this flight was a horrible mistake! I don't even know how I will travel back with my 2 infants via this airline.

On our way back to LA ALL your ground attendants in Seoul was so rude. I had asked for help 3x to have our bags carried coz my mother who was with me was already 60 years old and could no longer lift other carry since she had one of my baby who was very fussy and restless already and the attendants already took the strollers. We were having a hard time carrying the babies because they already fussy and we were told to go at the end of the line and no one will help us with our bags.

We were ignored twice so the 3rd time I confronted teh attendant!

The exact words of the ground attendants was: "sorry we do not have enough people to cater to your request. You are 2 adults and 2 infants so we cannot help you." That is just way wrong!!!!

The issue always comes when we are in Seoul.

Even the airport personnel was stunned by the response and airport personnel ( disable assistants) came to us and helped us and escorted us to board the plane. They have agreed that the ground attendand's response was just wrong!