2.4

2.4

Pros

Cons

The Slap Chop is a time saver

I took to real cooking after my twins were born and obviously picked the wrong time to do it. I was inexperienced and definately had no clue what I was doing, so dinner took a long time. Cutting took the longest since I also had no real knife skills. I saw the commercial on tv one night and my husband ordered it for me. The call really annoyed him it is all automated. They never gave a total price and the first thing they ask for is the credit card number and there is no way to change your mind once that number is in.  Then at the end of the call you have to listen to 15 minutes of other as seen on tv products and they ask you if you want to add it to your order. Anyway it took about 2 weeks for it to arrive even though they said it would take 6 weeks. So it arrived and I was so excited to try it out. I cooked homemade stroganoff that night. I chopped 2 cartons of mushrooms and 2 onions and 2 cloves of garlic in 5 minutes. Normally it would take me that long just to do the onions. It was super easy to use once you get the hang of it. I advise you not to slam chop onions or they will get stuck...you have to do it with gentle slaps but not to forceful. Clean up really is easy. Everything is dishwashersafe and it really does spread open like a butterfly to make cleaning easy, unlike those other choppers that do not open. Assembly can be a bit of a pain sometimes whereas the part that clips the sides together comes apart because the screw dosent lock I highly recommend this to anyone who cuts, chops, and minces in the kitchen.

I'll never learn...

Ok, I admit it, I am a sucker for gadgets and over the years have accumulated quite a collection of some great, some good and some, well, not so much, items. I love to cook and do so every night of the week. In addition to a job, a family, 2 dogs and a laundry list of things to do as long as the Nile River, cooking a meal every night can sometimes be a chore. Finding things to help me with this grueling task is always on my mind and when I saw the T.V. commercial for the Slap Chop, I thought "Now there is something I need".  The man on the advertisement is quite entertaining and he makes you feel like you'd be a fool not to buy this item. He makes chopping vegetables look like childsplay with this marvelous, non electric device. I can't get to the phone fast enough to dial the number and place my order. Ok, order placed, now I wait. As advertised, the Slap Chop arrives at my doorstep about 10 days later and I am thrilled to open it and use it that night. It happened that I was making a large salad and spaghetti sauce and both require quite a bit of chopping. No Problem!! I assemble the device and start with the tomatoes. Slap, nothing..Slap again, and I see a lot of liquid but my tomato is still in tact. Slap three more times and now I have tomato puree. Nice, but not the result I was looking for,,,not for a salad. Ok, no big deal, I blame the tomatoes. Next, I move on to the onions..No need to peel because as he demonstrated, one slap and the peel removes itself from the onion..I slap it, nothing, Slap it again and it tried to cut it but did not and the peel is still on. I slap it now like a crazy person and what I got was a mess. No nice diced onions and no diced tomatoes. I try garlic...same result,,barly chopped at all and Inow have to pull out my knife and finish the job. I could go on with my other veggies, but as you have probably figured out by now, it didn't work. To date, this item is the biggest waste of money i have ever spent. Angry, I pack it up, and send it back. It has now been almost 3 months and I have not received my money back. So not only is the TV commercial a lie, they lie about their no questions asked money back guarantee too. I don't know what the guy on the advertising is using as his sure works..but its not what they send out. The product is garbage just like what my vegetables turned into after putting them through the process..When will I learn? What you see on tv is obviously not what you will get..I will be very careful from now on as seeing is not believing..Save your money..

Works great....the first time.

from Sevierville, TN

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

The very first time I used it, it worked great. After that, it was a huge hassle. I used it mainly to chop onions and garlic because chopping those things by hand is quite a teary eyed situation. It seemed as if after using it once, the blades instantly dulled. I tried to chop an onion, and instead it smashed it. After who knows how many slaps, I finally gave up and put it away for a while. When I brought it out again, I guess I had the hope that somehow it had managed to sharpen itself in the cupboard, because I tried it again. This time I got so frustrated that it wasn't doing anything but smashing my onions, that I guess I slapped it too hard and I cracked my cutting board. Grumbling, I threw my cutting board away and half a second later, the Slap Chop joined my poor, abused cutting board in the trash can. Never again will I have anything else even remotely like this!

It wasn't easy to clean at all! The only time it wanted to act sharp was when I was trying to clean it.

Not as good as the commercial made it seem.

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

I don't buy anything off of a TV commercial, nor have I ever fallen for those "As Seen on TV" products, but when I saw the commercial for the Slap Chop it really caught my attention but I did not buy it. However, a few months later I did see it in the mall and I did buy it.
The next day I used it when I wanted to cook lunch. I used it first to chop the onions. I peeled the onion and used the Slap Chop just like the instructions said. The first 2 or 3 times I pushed down on it, the onion was chopped perfectly. It looked just like they showed in the commercial. Then after using it a few more times, the onion began sticking to the blade and not chopping so well. I was getting really frustrated and tried to chop different vegetables. Everything I tried would stick to the blade and not even chop well. I did not like it at all and I stopped using it after only using it a few times.
Not only did it not work well, but cleaning it was so hard. I literally cut myself twice with it when cleaning it. I am sorry Slap Chop but I threw mine away in the trash.

Slap Chop Makes Chopping A Cinch

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

I use slap chop for all of my big event meal nights. Remember all the cutting boards on taco night or spaghetti night? It's a mess. You don't have to chop your life away with four different knives and leave a huge amount of dishes for yourself later. As you may have seen on tv or youtube, the slapchop allows you to quickly and conveniently chop and mince your favorite foods in a fraction of the time. The blades are positioned so that they carry out all the length and width cuts you would need to chop an onion, say. However, you just slap it a few times and you end up with a mound of chopped product. It works like a charm as long as you set yourself up right. It's a little bit like taking care of your juicer and not overwhelming it or skimping on the cleaning of the product. Overall, the first time you use this you will kick yourself for not having one years ago. It saves me time and hassle.

Slap chop is easy to take apart and wash. It is dishwasher friendly. It has to be easy since you are working with onions and carrots and different items and need to change parts.

I haven't seen too much wear and tear, but it's not like the machine looks hand crafted or Amish. I feel like I will get maybe 5 or 6 years of occasional use out of it.

Somebody wanted to make this easy. As for chopping large amounts or stuffing the chopping area full, it can mimic the sensation of a blender with too many ice cubes in the bottom of the smoothie or shake. But if you follow the recommendations in the manual, you won't have any problems chopping your favorite fruits and veggies in seconds. The amount of effort it takes to push the chopping mechanism down is less than you would think.

Fun product great for the lazy or just time restricted chef!

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

While this makes chopping the life out of things super easy, it doesn't do them evenly, despite what the cooking showes will tell you. This doesn't matter one bit! it allows for quick chopping and mincing, and really works wonders on time for meal prep for a family.
You can't beat this for the price!

I love that this can do in the dishwasher!! its easy to get to my status of clean which makes me a very happy mother. I don't recommend leaving it in tear down mode, as the pieces will get lost and you will end up like my house with two of them.

I've managed to knock this off the shelf and across the room... not a scratch, it can take it! It's also great at handling half frozen veggies, as i'm a terrible mother who buys them cheaper than fresh ones.

Awesome design, just pushing a button to get things all chopped up! The only way this could be better is if it was fully eletric, but this is the era of the lazy chefs (I know i'm one!!)

Doesn't work!

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

I got this as a gag gift and thought it would be fun to try. When I used it on onions, it didn't cut them at all and it got jammed every so often. Then I tried it with tomatoes, since they were softer, and it ended up just mushing them up.

This is probably one of the worst products I've ever used. Not worth it at all!

Slap Chop Really Works Well

from Michigan

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

After seeing this on TV and seeing how much my boyfriend hates cutting up onions I joked around about buying him one for Christmas. I did and we actually really love using it! I do wish that it chopped up things more finely but nonetheless it does it's job and it works! And it is a lot better than chopping up by hand (especially onions). The only negative thing I can really pinpoint about this is that cleaning isn't a breeze like the commercial shows. I absolutly hate putting this thing back together and washing it (since I don't have a dishwasher but it is dishwasher safe). Overall I like it and would reccomend it to a friend or anyone. The only con is that it is hard to clean and put back together.

Cleaning as far as hand washing goes is a pain in the behind since there are creases and the "blade", but however if you have a dishwasher it should be a fuss free clean for you.

We have had ours for about 3 years now and it is still going strong!

Good buy if on clearance

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

The slap chop is a good way to chop certain vegetables quickly. The problem is that it is difficult and annoying to clean. You buy the slap chop because you want to save time, but the time you save using the slap chop is spent trying to clean it. The inside of the slap chop is open so food that you chop can get stuck up there. I usually use the slap chop to chop onions. Every time I use it I get onion pieces stuck inside and it's hard to clean up there because the blade is in the way. I don't think you can put it in the dishwasher either, which would be nice.

Pain to clean because food can get up into the base and get stuck.

Very durable and has held up well. The plastic feels a little thin though.

The top handle is easy to chop and convenient. The cup can fit about half cup of onion at a time easily. If you stuff too many onions in there then the blade doesn't cut very well and it's kind of a waste.

Slap Chop

from Silver City, NM

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

I received the Slap Chop as a gift at Christmas. I decided to use it the next time I needed to chop vegetables. I could barely get it to chop at all. After a lot of trying to adjust everything to make sure it was all put together right, I finally pulled out a knife and chopped the vegetables with that. I have tried it a few times since and I dont like it at all. It doesnt work at all. It just makes a mess of everything and I end up doing the chopping with a knife. It is definitly not worth paying anything for. If I had bought this and not received it as a gift I would have returned it. It does not work anything like the commercials for it show. I would never recommend this product to anyone for any reason. it is a waste of money.

It cleans up well enough if you can get past the bad chopping it does.

It doesnt work from the time you get it. it doesnt really matter how durable it is if you cant even use it.

Doesnt work.

Don't bother

from Port Orchard, WA

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

My boyfriend was mesmerized by the late night infomercials for this thing. So finally, he got one. At first, he was really excited. "I'll use it all the time!", he said. "You cook a lot, so you can use it, too!", he told me. I figured I'd give it a whirl and see if it lived up to the hype.
UGH! It was one of the most frustrating things I've ever used! The blades weren't that sharp, for starters. I had to chop and re-chop the same chunk of onion for almost five whole minutes before it started cutting it. I could've done the whole thing by hand in that amount of time. How is this supposed to be more convenient?!
Then when it came to cleaning it, it was a nightmare. Stuff got stuck all the way up into the blades, AND inside of the plastic handle! Even after a run in the dishwasher, there was still stuff stuck up inside of it. I had to get a knife and carefully scrape everything out, even with it's "easy to clean" features.
All in all, the idea is a good one, but the execution left a lot to be desired. By now there's a lot of nicer versions of this cheap piece of junk by top name brands, so I assume you'd be better off trying one of those. Or just stick to the good old kitchen knife.

Slap Chop: A fool and his money...

from Boca Raton, FL

Comments about As Seen on TV Slap Chop:

First the good news; I got this for free. But it all goes down from there.

Several months ago while attending a Home Show in West Palm Beach I ran into a friend of mine who was demonstrating an assortment of "As Seen on TV" products. We go back a long way and I always enjoy watching him perform for the crowd.

One of the products that caught my eye was the Slap Chop. I had seen and tried out similar choppers offered by the Pampered Chef and KitchenAid, but considering all the gadgets and fine knives I own I never purchased one. Here my decision was easy. My friend was having a great show, so he tossed me a box containing the Slap Chop. It's hard turning down a freebie.

The concept of choppers of this kind is simple. A spring loaded blade assembly is encased in a plastic shell with a detachable holding cup. Ingredients such as onions, shallots, garlic and even tomatoes can be placed in the cup or loosely under the plastic case. A series of slaps of the plunger forces the blade to chop the contents, swiveling between each slap to allow for a finer chop. In principle it sounds great, but I found that the Slap Chop wasn't all that good at chopping, swiveling or for that matter staying in one piece! Repeatedly, ingredients like onions and garlic stuck to the blades with many pieces avoiding being chopped. It didn't take long for me to come to the conclusion that my chef's knives would have handled these chopping chores far better and far more quickly.

If you have an opportunity to get a Slap Chop, resist the temptation. Even for free, some products are just not worth your time.

The sharp blades made removing the remnants of the ingredients I was chopping difficult to remove safely. Even after placing the chopper in the dishwasher there were still food particles lodged in the chopper.

After a good work-out with the Slap Chop, I noticed some bending in the blades. After my second or third use, the swivel action first became sporadic and then no longer functioned at all.

On a conceptional level there's nothing wrong with the design. Several other manufacturers produce similar choppers that work well. The "fail" here is in the build quality.