But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

Apple iPod Touch- 8GB 3rd Gen: A phenomenon!

Start out with a touchscreen phone and then disable the phone and camera and what do you have?  In most instances, you'd merely have a broken phone.  In this case you have the wildly popular **Apple iPod Touch**.  Simply an MP3 player?  Hardly, the iPod Touch is an incredibly versatile mobile computing/media device.

Of course I can use it to store my 1750 favorite songs, or my favorite photos, but I can also use it to access any of approximately 200,000 applications (apps) found in the Apple Apps Store on iTunes.  That's an awful lot of applications!  Games, productivity tools, mobile optimized web-sites for virtually any interest you have.  What's more is that it all fits into the small, sleek form of the iPod Touch.  It's so thin and light that it can be carried in your shirt pocket and you could conceivably forget you have it there.

The iPod Touch easily accesses the Internet through its built in wi-fi card.  It uses the easy user interface of Apple's Safari web browser.  Once on-line, you can access iTunes directly or access virtually any web-site on the Internet.  Unfortunately, however is that the iPod Touch does not support Flash, so sites that are Flash dependent cannot be used effectively.

Otherwise, the browser is about as smooth a touchscreen experience as you'll find.  Apple has designed an extraordinary touchscreen interface for the iPhone/Touch.

**Synching with iTunes**

The iPod Touch comes with a USB cable that attaches your Touch to your computer.  Connected, it automatically opens iTunes and syncs the contents (whatever is on your computer will appear on your Touch)  At the same time, the USB cable is the primary way to charge your touch.  Once charged, I generally find that with normal use (for me), the charge lasts the better part of a week.

**Shortcomings**

Well you knew there had to be at least a couple didn't you?  The iPod Touch battery, as efficient as it is cannot be replaced.  If it fails, your Touch is inoperable.

iTunes, while generally easy to use does have it quirks.  I have had to remove and reinstall iTunes on my laptop a few times before a firmware upgrade was released to minimize the quirkiness.  The Touch, like the iPhone is only supported by iTunes.

The screen is beautiful and renders video content brilliantly.  On the other hand, the screen is fragile and vulnerable to scratching and cracking.  I have already replaced my daughter's Touch twice due to a cracked screen.  This argues loudly for the need to take out the deluxe extended warranty.  With it, I have replaced the broken devices with a minimum of hassle.

**My Viewpoint**

To call the Apple iPod Touch merely an MP3 Player is to do it a grave disservice.  This is a full-fledged portable miniature all-purpose media device.

Is it perfect?  Of course not.  But all things considered it is as close to the perfect mobile device as we get these days.  I highly recommend it.

Rudi

Pretty Good Ipod

The Apple Ipod Touch 3rd gen 8g is pretty good. It has all the standard features, nice touch screen, music shuffle, youtube, portable and light. It is not 8g however, but 7.01g, for all the software space needed for the ipod touch. If your looking for more memory, then get the 32g ipod touch or the ipod classic. If your looking for a quick and cheep entertainment device and you don't have that much songs, the ipod touch is your best bet. Most applications are free, but aren't as good as the paid apps. Nice graphics and design, but not really great comparing to the PSP graphics.

The ipod touch seems to have a better graphics on simple apps than heavy 3d apps, which looks more like flash games. Somehow, the graphics gets grainier every time I look at it. The battery also deplete really fast after you have it for a year, at least an hour of apps. At most, 2 hours, which is really little compared to at least 4 hours when I started with it new. I also seemed to start needing more space for heavier apps and new music. Those three cons made the apple ipod touch 3rd gen 8g at a measly three stars.

There are so many pros, that I can't list them all, so heres a quick rundown: Good graphics (depends on app), sound quality is fair, really tough if you have a ipod case and screen protector (dropped it like 11 times and not a scratch), nice sleek design, light (without case), some very cool apps, a good time waster, a portable media/gaming device, not bulky like the iphone. Thats pretty much it...

Best decision I ever made in a device!

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

This device was my introduction into the touch world, and I have been hooked since day one! I have played games with people from other countries, have met some great friends through different apps, and I have my social media, email, and music all in one place. Best of all, it goes wherever I go. It's easy to use and makes life more organized and full of entertainment.

So much fun!

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

Lasts over many years, and with proper care, it remains in the same condition as you get it. Loads of apps to choose from, and is basically a mini computer!

Sound Quality
Love the speakers so I can play my music without headphones.

Decent speed considering that it doesn't have a lot of power.

Battery Life
Lasts my most of the day with excessive use.

Back scratches easily, screen is easily crackable.

• Battery Life:

Makes life easier and fun

from Littleton, CO

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

I love my Apple ipod 3G. I've been using it for over 3 years. It has many options because you can download different apps that will make life easier. I have downloaded many free apps for my boys. The ipod has been so great for them to use on trips or when we're stuck waiting somewhere. Most of the apps I have are educational, so they are getting smarter while they use it! My ipod is a 32GB and it can hold so many songs and videos at the same time. I love having access to music, videos, and apps wherever I am. If you are in a place where they have free wi-fi, you can use the ipod there as well. Once, on a trip, we used our ipod with McDonald's wifi to get directions to some places we wanted to visit. We don't have smart phones, but this is the next best thing because you don't have to pay for a plan, but you can connect to the internet. This model doesn't have a camera, but I wish it did have one. My first ipod was acting really weird the first few months I had it. I took it into an apple store and they replaced it for free since it was still new. They had great customer service. Overall, I really recommend this!

• Battery Life:

An amazing little device!

from Mount Dora, FL

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

The iPod Touch 3rd Generation was a huge step up (at the time) for Apple. If you didn't want to get into a contract with an expensive data plan for a smartphone this device would do all those functions, minus the calling of course. For a long time I was carrying around two devices; this and a crappy cell phone with a cheap plan. It's incredibly snappy and efficient even when browsing and checking email with wifi. It has full iTunes app store support so you've got endless games and apps to choose from, as well as movies, shows, and of course songs. My Touch has 32 GB of storage so I can store about a thousand songs, 8-10 movies, a few shows, lots of games and apps, some photos, and still have room left. It's quite an amazing little device with surprisingly a lot of power. The screen is pretty nice and clear, although there have been major improvements since. It's not really large enough to want to watch movies on it but you can if you want to. However, the battery will drain really fast with video. It's a great music player and I love the functionality of creating, adding, editing playlists on the go. Great for those long jogs! I've had this for almost three years and the overall battery life has seen better days but this thing still has plenty left in the tank.

Great Mp3 player.

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

Bought this a few years ago for myself. Sound quality is great. Easy to use function and buttons. A lot of apps and games for it, some are only on the IPod or Apple products. With built in Wi-Fi you can buy and download music, movies, or apps almost anywhere.

Almost there Apple

from Pacific Grove, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

This iPod is great, not that many GB capacity, but still a great item. This iPod has great, fun, and entertaining Applications. It has good WiFi, and you can even explore the internet. This iPod might seem the same to you the same as 2G, but it's faster, better Retina display, and better colors. Believe, this is something you won't regret investing in. It has a big enough screen for watching videos and movies. Only reason I gave this item a four star is because it gets really scuffed up, smudgy and scratchy, so you might want to invest in a good case and screen protector.

Great features

from Avon, CT

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

I received an iPod touch as a gift last year. It is so convenient and easy to use. I bought a belt holder to hold my iPod while jogging as I listen to my tunes. I would recommend the iPod as an mp3 player rather than other copycat mp3 players. You will not be disappointed.

Apple Itouch is great

from Denver, CO

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

My friend was showing me their Ipod touch and all the apps. I had a simple i pod mini. I literally shopped around for it the next day. It can do so much. Only negative I have it searching for wifi. Luckily it can be found all over. I can listen to a book on tape while adding notes or birthdays to my calendar. Very user friendly.

I heart the I touch

from Boynton Beach, FL

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

I love my I touch. It has a huge capasity for music, games and apps. I use a few of the calendar apps to keep my life in order. I also love how there are a ton of free apps out there so I don't have to pay anything when my kids want a new game to play. Another thing I really like about it is how I am able to use Nike plus with it and track my distance when walking or running. I will admit to being a little addicted to the kindle app and the netflix instant app on it and spend way too much time on it at night. I am fortunate and only have two dislikes about the I touch. They are that there isn't a camera in the 2nd gen and after a while alot of time is spent charging the I touch. All in all I am very pleased with it, I got it for a gift two years ago and admit to being skeptical but I am hooked.

I love my iPod Touch

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation MP3 Player:

I've had my 3rd generation iPod Touch for about six months now. At first I wasn't the biggest fan, but it has grown on me. In the past, I've had a shuffle and several types of nanos. This iPod obviously has much more room, which I love! I think it is too much for me, though. I regret upgrading to the 64 gb, there's no way I'll ever fill it (even with apps and videos). The touch screen works very well, but I'm generally biased against touch screens. If I went back in time, I'd probably buy this product again.