But, there's a newer version

See latest version

MB531LLA, MB533LL/A, MB528LL/A

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

I can finally do what I want with my iPod Touch - yeah !

I got a new **iPod Touch** for my birthday (several months ago) and at first I was disappointed that it didn't have the camera and I had to locate a wi-fi signal to go on-line.  Now that I have found a few apps that help me do what I want to do, I have fewer issues with not having full time internet and a camera (like on an iPhone).

**I am a reader**, most of the applications  I use have to do with books ..... I use my iPod for audio books, and e-books alike.   I use the apps like* GoodReader, Stanza, Audible*, and enjoy the ability to copy discs to iTunes and then transfer them to my iPod.  I have used these apps to listen to audio books that I have downloaded from sites like *NetLibrary, OverDrive and Audible*.  I have used these apps to read e-books in the format of pdf and e-pub that I downloaded from several different types of sites.

I do also have a few games, my kids help me use those whenever possible.  There are days that they ask if they can play on the iPod and I find myself saying "who's iPod is it?"

Still kind of wish it had the full time internet like a smartphone, and I would like it to have a camera, but I find that I am never without my iPod in hand, in pocket, or in purse and ready to go with about 20 books and a full battery.

*note* - I love my **iPod Touch**, but I am not that fond of the **iTunes program**, it has some problems and quirks that are difficult to get around so I usually end up trying to find ways around using it at all.  I do have to use it occasionally, for the most part, only basic functions though.  I hope for improvements with every update and so far I have not been impressed with any of them either.  Since I have little options, I will keep smiling and promise to not take out the iTunes problem on my wonderful **iPod Touch**.

I use it like a Kindle

I have my ipod touch and I have an android smartphone......and although I use them both on a daily basis, I love my smartphone more. My smartphone has so many better features and is so open and compatible with what I want to do. BUT a lot of the apps on the ipod are better! Even apps (like Kindle) that you can get on both platforms are better on the ipod!

From here on, this review is going to be a little weird, because I'm comparing the ipod to a kindle (to be honest, this has become my ipod's primary function, but all the extra features don't hurt either).

In any case, if you're like me and want a kindle, but you're budget-conscious and would like to be able to justify the expense (after all, you can do MUCH more with an ipod than with a kindle), than this may be the gadget for you! I actually like the fact that it's smaller (fits in my hand, fits in my purse).

I LOVE that it's a touchscreen! The kindle seems clunky and clumsy next to it. And since it's backlit, I can read in bed and it won't bother my husband (turn down the brightness all the way and switch to the black background with the white font). I've never had eyestrain problems.

Battery power---if you turn off the wifi, turn down the brightness, and just read, this will last you a good long while. The kindle's battery may be longer, but my ipod's battery is perfect for my needs.

Memory: I have plenty of space. I don't like to have clutter on my screens and I tend to uninstall or delete things I don't use. You can download everything and the kitchen sink and put it on your computer and switch it out if you need to.

All in all, it's worth so much more than the kindle: I can keep it in my little purse, I can watch tv/videos/netflix, I can browse facebook and the internet, I can listen to music, and I can read in the dark. Definitely not a necessity, but it's so much fun!

EDIT 11/17: Since writing this review, I was given a Kindle as a gift, and I absolutely love it. Yes, the ipod touch has more function, but the kindle's bigger, clearer screen and longer battery life give it an edge sometimes. Now, whether I take my kindle or my ipod with me depends on the occasion.

This is a great simple, straight-forward music playing device

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

As someone who has used iPods in the past and is not necessarily one who has the "latest technology on the block," this 2nd Generation iPod is a great deal for someone looking into the cheaper market for an easy-to-use iPod that will hold a decent amount of songs. I've found this to be quite dependable during car shows and other outdoor events.

Sound Quality
I don't hear much of a difference between the sound quality on this and other players, of course vinyl record in my opinion is where it's at though the quality on this is perfect if you want cheap, instant wide range of music to carry in your pocket. Going with this older generation saves much money from the newer generations on the market.

This has never failed. As long as you keep your iPod properly charged, it should last an entire day playing non-stop as it has done for me!

Battery Life

It's still here in immaculate condition. Like most anything, you take care of it it'll last a very long time.

I figured out how to use it and I'm not the most tach savvy person out there. As long as you get rid of the function in which you shake the iPod and it turns on "shuffle" mode, you can carry this anywhere and it's quite dependable. The touch screen works wonderful.

Nice simple design, and isn't confusing.

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

If you wish to use the iPod Touch as an MP3 player only, it does its job beautifully. However, if you wish to use its other functions such as games, apps, internet, etc. the performance turns sour. If you are looking to purchase an iPod Touch, I would recommend buying the newer models even though they are more expensive, they are worth the extra money.

Sound Quality
If you use headphones, the sound quality is top notch. However, if you use the speakers, the quality is far below par.

Everything begins to lag once you start to download apps. Large apps often take minutes to load or will crash all together before they open.

Battery Life
Excellent battery life that can last almost a week if you just play music on it.

I've had mine for almost 3 years and I still don't have a scratch on mine. If you put a case on it, nothing will happen.

Very simple to maneuver. Even my grandmother was able to successfully use it.

Unoriginal color scheme but it was revolutionary when it first came out.

Outdated for apps but great mp3 player

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

The apps stopped working, but it's very handy as an mp3 player. I use it in my classroom everyday, I've got it hooked up to audio speakers and it's very easy to switch between songs and find songs that we need to listen to.

Sound Quality
The sound produced through the ipod is very good and loud.

Sometimes it freezes up on me.

Battery Life
The battery is frequently dead. My suggestion would be to plug it in when possible.

I've dropped it several times and it always works.

It's really easy to use and to put songs on. Just plug it in and go.

• Battery Life:

Very durable, great mp3 player.

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I broke my iPod touch 4g a few times, and after getting the screen replaced twice, decided it was time to get a new iPod all together. Seeing as I'm not very careful with my stuff, I decided to get this since it had good reviews and was half the price of the iPod touch 5g. This has worked out great for me; the sound quality is perfect and I've already dropped it and nothing happened. The only bad thing is that some of the newer apps can't perform on this old of software, but I've only come across two that won't download.

Quick and easy to touch.

Battery Life
Haven't had it run out of battery yet, and I hardly ever charge it.

So much better than the thinner models, such as the iPod 4g and 5g. This iPod is thicker but that's what makes it more durable.

The only difference I've noticed between this and the newer iPods is the thickness. It runs just as quick and it's just as easy to touch, if not easier. Great product.

apple ipod touch 2nd generation started to be a big thing not so

from Davenport, FL

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

Not so good now!!!! I own one can not update no matter what I do. There is no way to add a sd card either.

Sound Quality
What crack sound always sinked. You have buy speakers to have good sound. At least they give you crappy headphones too.

I love the performance in the being. But until they let you upgrade stuck like chuck. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Battery Life
I give them a little credit for the battery life. But it seems after a year to be slowing down.

As long as you don't drop it it's very durabily. My friend dropped their's the same day and now it cost them about the same price as a new one to fix it.

The furture upgrades make it easy to use. Until they make it easier to upgrade my ipod is crap to me. The. Furture products will not see me or my money no time soon. Now who laughing now. Android has me for now.

Of. Course in the being the size and design was great. Now size matters. Bigger is now better. But not always

• Battery Life:

Packs a lot of music punch.

from Lincoln Park, MI

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

The Ipod touch 2nd generation is a great hand held gadget. You can store thousands of songs and apps on this. I enjoy taking a walk with my headphones on with my ipod on shuffle.I get a nice little surprise on shuffle as each new song comes on. A great walking aide.

Sound Quality
For being hand held, the sound quality through the headphones sure does pack a lot of punch. It also has speakers, and the sound is clear through the speakers, however, the sound is not as loud as it is through the headphones. I cannot crank the vlume all the way up on high with the headphones, as it is too loud.

The performance is excellent. I have owned mine for a few years now and the performance has been amazing.

Battery Life
The only thing I notice is that the battery life seems to be a little less then when I first got it. I can still go for a long walk and work around the house on the battery life while listening to music, so it is good for me.

It is very durable. I did buy a hard case for this and I have dropped it a couple of times with no harm done (knock on wood!).

• Battery Life:

Good except for requiring iTunes

from Fond Du Lac, WI

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I would like the iPod Touch a lot more if you didn't need to use iTunes to load music and other entertainment onto it. iTunes is an annoying pain to use! The Touch itself is a pretty nice device. I bought an older version in order to save money, and it does most of what I need it to do. The sound quality is very good, the Touch is very responsive, and it's easy to pinch the screen to zero in on a particular spot.

Crisp and clear.

Fast in most cases.

Battery Life
Could be better. It drains very quickly if wifi is enabled.

It's fairly tough in terms of not getting broken, but it picks up smudges and little scratches pretty easily.

Could be more user-friendly and intuitive.

It's not outstanding, but it's not bad either. Just kind of middle of the road.

• Battery Life:

Used by all in our family.

from Sand Springs, OK

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

We own two of this generation of ipod touches and well as two of the 4th generation of ipod touches. My two youngest sons are in possession of these as they have been passed down my myself and my oldest son. This ipods have served my family well for about 4 years. These ipods are mainly used for game playing by my sons. We have downloaded many games over the years from the Itunes app store for playing. The store has many apps that are free as well of many apps that you must pay for. You can also download music to the ipod to enjoy with headphones or you can listen to the music out of the small built in speaker in the ipod. The sound quality of the speaker isn't great, but it was not expected to be. These have been very durable so far. Battery life has decreased over the years, but is still acceptable. These ipods have also decreased in price and can be found for a good price used.

Can't Live Without This

from Knoxville, TN

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I purchased my iPod Touch about four years ago, and we used it a lot! I have two little kids 4 and 2 that love to play games on. I plug in headphones and listen to music when I'm working in the yard or garage. And our latest use for it is to dock it in the kids room at night as their evening music player. After 4 years of steady use I'm so impressed and happy that our iPod Touch still works great!

My only complaint is that by now, not all of the new iPod games will work on it, which isn't the iPod's fault since it's getting old.

I don't think of iPods as that durable but this one has been dropped a few times and it hasn't bothered it any.

My 2 year old can operate the iPod.

What I essentially live on

from Freehold, NJ

Comments about Apple iPod Touch 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I take my ipod touch everywhere. I have a blackberry but if I have internet connection I use this everywhere I can. It keeps my personal information, facebook account and all of my music and videos together in a neat package. Small and easy to bring with me wherever I go and will never replace my phone. Until I buy myself an iphone I won't be able to replace my ipod touch. Smart features like nike plus app allow me to make this not an MP3 player but a life changing device. Syncs with both my macs and pc's easily. Allows me to view pictures from my camera on the device. Has endless applications being developed daily in the app store. Become my number one gaming device. PS3 has essentially shown how gaming has become bloated and overweight, the ipod touch allows you to easily bring your gaming with you wherever you go and it works easily and every time.