But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

Who knew something so tiny could deliver so BIG!

I recently started a running routine, and decided it was boring without music. I began using my Sony Discman and headphones. After running by several other runners, I noticed they were all running with iPods with earbuds and I was running HOLDING my disc player while wearing big black foamy earphones. Needless to say, I felt a little outdated (and I admit, STUPID). I chose an iPod shuffle (2nd generation) simply because I basically only wanted it for running, and it was tiny, and it clips to you. The 1st generation shuffles are bigger, do not clip to you, and do not have the feature of being able to choose the shuffle option or play the songs in the order you loaded them. I have never even touched an iPod before, and was afraid It would be difficult to set up and use. It is the complete opposite!! It is not confusing, and the directions are a few steps and you're ready to go! It is the best purchase I have made in a long time! The sound quality is EXCELLENT! You are not even required to purchase songs from iTunes, you have that option or you can load any song/disc that is already on your computer, or in your own personal collection! This product is a winner! You will NOT be disappointed!

iPod Shuffle doesn't always... shuffle.

If I could sum up Apple's iPod Shuffle in one word, it would be "mediocre." By no means is it a terrible product, and if you had received it as a gift (like I did), it's a very nice gift to be given. I would not, however, buy it.

First of all, if you're going to use this, keep in mind that it's VERY easy to lose! I've never actually lost it in public, but that's because I'm careful. I've found it in many strange places around my house when I hadn't even realized I'd lost it. The clip on feature is not totally reliable.

My second complaint is that it doesn't always shuffle. I've made playlists, shuffled them ahead of time on itunes, and then made sure the shuffle switch was in proper position, only to hear the same artist three times in a row, and the same song twice before the playlist is over. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I feel that a Shuffle should shuffle.

It is a cute little thing, though. If you're laying around the house, going for a walk, or trying to ignore people, it's effective, and does not get in the way at all, due to its small size. I've also had it stay charged for over 8 hours when I had it hooked up to the speakers at my job. Also, considering how tiny it is, and how cheap, it holds a good amount of songs. The sound is also very good.

So yeah, I wouldn't buy it, but if someone bought it for you, that was very nice of them!

Little size, big results.

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

Be careful; its small size can be a blessing and a curse. If not careful, due to its small size, it can be easily lost.

Sound Quality
Music downloaded on this iPod is heard very well with no problems at all. Sound is crisp and clean.

Performs very well, (since it only has to pause/play music, lower and increase the volume, skip and play a previous song, and turn on and off.)

Battery Life
It is not recommend for the avid listener that likes to listen to their music with the volume all the way up; battery life is drained due to heavy use.

Very durable, after a few years, it is still working like the first day. All of the buttons still respond in a quickly manner. Since its design is not unlike the touch screen products that we have today, I expect for my iPod to keep on working in the future.

Immensely easy to use. Playing music is straight-forward. Since all of the controls are visible, it is hard to imagine someone can having a hard time trying to figure out how a 2nd Generation iPod Shuffle works.

BEST WORKOUT IPOD

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

THIS LITTLE IPOD IS THE BEST IPOD TO GET IF YOU LIKE HIGH INTENSE EXERCISE. IT IS LIGHT WEIGHT, AND THEY SELL DIFFERENT CONTRAPTIONS FOR IT. THERES A SET OF EAR PHONES THAT YOU CAN BUY AND THIS IPOD POPS RIGHT INTO IT SINCE IT IS SO SMALL. SO THERES NO NEED FOR WIRES. THE BEST WORKOUT IPOD WHATSOEVER. NO WORRIES ABOUT CRACKING SCREENS. VERY DURABLE. SWEAT IS NO PROBLEM.

SEEMS LIKE THE BATTERY JUST WONT DIE AND ITS YEARS OLD

• Battery Life:

iPod Shuffle, great for working out and chillin'

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

My old generation iPod shuffle has lasted me a few years now. I previously bought it refurbished and I have not had any issues with it. I prefer this small shuffle over the other iPod products because I do not like having one simple playlist at a time. My music variety and song choices change very frequently, and I tire of songs quickly. It is very convenient for someone like me. I use it while running and when I am sleeping. I really wish it had a sleep mode function, but the fact that it is a shuffle and does not have a screen, I understand why. I listen to a lot of music and use my iPod daily. I have had it for about 4 years now and it has still been as good as a product as when I first purchased it.

Sound Quality
Sounds very clear.

Battery Life
Lasts really long. Can go quite awhile without charging it.

Veeery simple to use.

This older generation is very sturdy and durable, however, it does not have a lock button in case you press buttons by accident.

Portable Little Device

from North Hills, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I got this mp3 years ago for christmas and then sadly last it in an accident. If you're searching something portable with a punch - this is it. The downside, since it has no screen, you can easily skip or searching through songs.

My iPod shuffle serves its purpose well

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

The iPod shuffle is very tiny but it packs quite a punch. I can fit it very easily in my pocket along with some earbud headphones and it is light and small enough to take anywhere. I just have to remember to take it out of my pocket when I go to do laundry! Though this thing is so hardy, I get the feeling that it might even last through the wash

There's no screen on my shuffle, it's basically just a wafer with a clip that has playback buttons on the sides. Sometimes, this is even preferable, as it keeps everything simple. There is the option to playback the songs in order or on 'shuffle'. You have to arrange the songs on your computer, though you don't need itunes. I use Winamp with my shuffle just fine. It's super easy to add songs to with the USB cable, and the shuffle charges while it's plugged into the computer. The charge lasts for many hours and the sound quality coming from this tiny little square is amazing!

How much smaller can these get...

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

When the shuffle frist came out, they were about 2~3 inches long in length and about 2 centimeters in width. As far as mp3 players go even in that time, this thing was pretty tiny. But of course, with small size comes so many limitations in terms of how well a person's mp3 experience goes.

The only buttons that these come with are the generic mp3 player ones- play, pause, stop, forward, back, volume, etc. The biggest dropout of the shuffle is the lack of a screen. Therefore, you can never know what song is coming next or beforehand, nor can you really literally choose what song you want to listen to. It also doesnt hold as much (although 1 gig is still a lot) so depending on how much of a music junkie you are, the shuffle may not be for you.

The shuffle can be useful, though, for people who do lots of cardio. Its small size makes it extremely light and probably wouldnt fall out during a run.

Simple yet good

from Miami, FL

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

So obviously this isn't the most functional ipod out there today and frankly compared to the ipod touch this is useless but that's really not true. Where it lacks in functionality it makes up with simplicity and price. The price is so nominal that you don't even have to worry about that. It is really small and compact and looks pretty cute. Since it comes in various colors everyone can choose one according to their liking. The sound quality is very good and syncing songs to it via itunes is a breeze. Since I have other ipods itunes manages all my music and syncing to all my ipods become so simple and easy. It is really tiny so it is so convenient to carry it along with my in my pocket and because it has a clip it is so convenient when I use it for my workout. Some of the obvious drawbacks is the lack of screen which makes it difficult to play a song you wish. Other than that its a great ipod. And the battery life is also very good so you don't have to worry about charging it after normal use.

small but worth it!

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

Last year Apple took a bold step with the iPod shuffle, doing away with built-in controls in exchange for a control system that uses in-line controls built into specialized earbuds. The system required users to pinch a control pod integrated into their earbud wires to adjust volume, change songs, and pause. To assist users, Apple introduced a feature known as VoiceOver, which after pinching and holding the in-line controller, would speak the title information of the current song. While helpful, the system was hardly ideal, requiring specific earbuds and earphones, as well as being somewhat tricky to navigate. Subsequently, Apple opted to return to the iPod shuffle's previous control scheme with the 2010 model, which features a circular control interface that controls playback, track selection, and volume controls. VoiceOver is still a key feature, but inline controls are purely optional; and we couldn't be happier. The 2009 iPod shuffle was by no means a bad product, but it certainly sacrificed function for form, and new model seems to find a nice balance of both.

iPod Shuffle is GREAT for working out!

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I LOVE this iPod - I use it at the gym and when I go running and it's perfect.  I love the small size, it doesn't get in the way when I'm working out and holds plenty of music to get me through a long work out!

iPod shuffle great for running

from Hales Corners, WI

Comments about Apple iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

The Apple iPod shuffle (1 GB) is great for running purposes. It only has 1 GB and no screen, but it can clip onto clothes, and if it falls off, it's light weight enough that it will just dangle from your headphones and not fall on the ground. It's easy and simple to learn how to use. The battery life is great--I hardly ever have to charge it. It's kind of a surprise every time it gets low on battery (the green or yellow light turns to red). I find it pretty annoying sometimes that it doesn't have a screen, so there's no way to see what song you're listening to, which is why I recommend it for running. You don't need a plethora of songs to run to, and you don't need to be looking at the screen while you're running. I wouldn't recommend buying it as your only mp3 player to have, because the no-screen and small amount of space would get to you. But it's fairly inexpensive, so if you're looking for a handy running companion, I would definitely recommend this.