But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player

Pros

Cons

iPod Nano - Second Generation. Pure Awesome :D

The iPod Nano 2nd Generation is Apple's second iPod Nano MP3 player and the 9th iPod to come into production. It comes in 2, 4, and 8 gigabyte versions with 6 colors...Read complete review

The iPod Nano 2nd Generation is Apple's second iPod Nano MP3 player and the 9th iPod to come into production. It comes in 2, 4, and 8 gigabyte versions with 6 colors available.

Pros: This iPod has pretty much everything going for it. The screen is super bright. The battery lasts for many, many hours of continual play, atleast 48 hours. (I listened to mine for 2 days straight, day and night, before I got a critical battery alarm and need to charge it). The size easily fits into pockets and other tight fitting places. You can syncronize your pictures to this iPod so you can view them on the run, and even play music while viewing them. This iPod comes with a few games available to play such as Brick (a spin off of the retro game Break Out), and Music quiz (try to figure out what music you are listening to within a time limit). The quality of this product is nearly unheard of. This

Cons: My only problem with this iPod are no Music Shuffle ability when your watching a picture slide show. And that you CANNOT syncronize it with a media player other than iTunes. Video compatibility would be nice.

Technical Specifications (according to support.apple.com)

Size and weight

- USB 2.0 cable

- Dock adapter

- Quick Start guide

Capacity

- 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB flash drive(1)

- Holds up to 500 to 2,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format(2)

- Holds up to 25,000 iPod nano-viewable photos(3)

- Stores data via USB flash drive

Display

- 1.5-inch (diagonal) liquid crystal display with blue-white LED backlight

- 176-by-132-pixel resolution, .168-mm dot pitch

- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Audio

- Skip-free playback

- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

- Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

- User-configurable maximum volume limit

- Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

- iTunes 7 or later(4)

Windows system requirements

- PC with USB 2.0

- Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later

- iTunes 7 or later(4)

Languages

- Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, and Turkish

- Additional language support for display of song, album, and artist information: Bulgarian, Croatian, Romanian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, and Ukrainian

Environmental requirements

- Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

- Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Input and output

- Dock connector

- 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

Power and battery(5)

- Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery

- Music playback time: Up to 24 hours when fully charged(3)

- Photo slideshow with music viewing time: Up to 5 hours when fully charged(3)

- Charging via USB or FireWire to computer system or power adapter (sold separately)

- Fast-charge time: about 1.5 hours (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)

- Full-charge time: about 3 hours

Basically this is an AWESOME product. If you are looking for a new MP3 player I strongly suggest an iPod Nano, in any of the generations

The Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation is thin and convenient.

The Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation is very thin and very portable. You can easily take it anywhere with you in your pocket. All your favorite music is right there with you all the time. This iPod is sleek and good looking so you can be in style no matter where you go. You will always have your favorite tunes with you no matter what you are doing. You can get away from all the little sounds around you by just pulling this device out and pressing play. You can also put pictures on it so you can share pictures of your kids, family, etc. with any friends you are with. It is easy to use once you put all your stuff onto it. The downsides of this iPod is only one person can listen to it at a time since it does not have a speaker on it. It is also a little complicated to put your songs onto it since you need to use iTunes and many people don't know how exactly to work this. You would also need to have a computer available to put songs onto your iPod. This iPod also does not have video and since it only has 2GB, you cannot put many songs and pictures on it.

Oldie but a Goodie!

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I am a cheap skate and I do not like to spend money on these types of things but someone gave me one of these. It was one of the best gifts I ever received. When I first got it, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. As the years have passed, I have become more tech savvy. In fact, I use somebody's old Iphone as an Ipod now. I still have my 2nd generation Ipod however and it still works extremely well. The only reason I am using the Iphone is that it has more GB's. I still love the old Ipod and how it works well with the Nike App to track exercise even though they have come out with newer technology this still works well. I never would have imagined that you could put a chip in your shoe and something in the end of an Ipod and it would track every step you run or walk. It is pretty incredible the way these things work. If you are like me and love to stick with old things that last, then find an old IPod because they still are productive and hard to beat!

• Sound Quality:
  • Battery Life:

Very happy with this iPod

from Colfax, IA

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I gave this iPod to my husband for his birthday several months ago. We had only owned cheaper mp3 players before this so this was a BIG upgrade for us and I love it. We were able to fit about 75% of our cd library onto this. I love that we no longer have to have a bunch of different CD's laying all around our living room getting scratched up by our toddlers and making our living room look messy. I have a Bose speaker dock for it and it blends in nicely in our living room. It is nice to be able to have a wide variety of music at our finger tips literally and it is so easy to find the artist or album that I am wanting. We listen to a lot more music throughout the day now because this has made it so much easier.

Ipod nano great product for the price

from Aston, PA

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I like this ipod for the cost. I really only use the movie/tv/music functions.. not for photo storage or anything else. Its perfect for my almost 3yo to watch an ep of his favorite shows while on a car trip on during a long restaurant wait. I dislike the touch dial very much.

Precious lil nano

from Lakeland, GA

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

The Ipod Nano is a pretty nice gadet to listen to music with. I've had mine for about 2-3 years. It doesn't fit all of my music on it much to my dislike but then again i have a wide taste in music. Also i agree with some of the other reviews when they say it's easy to scratch up and also lose, especially the charger. Lost that lil thing and can't do anything with it now except stare at it. But other than that it's very easy to use, the menu is set up nice and its fun, colorful. It may be a little high in price, but its a pretty good little device though you might as well up the price you're willing to spend to get another of their Ipod's that has a few more applications and user friendly add-ons.

All-n-all this Ipod is pretty unique not a bad buy, it'd make an awesome gift for anyone who wants their first Ipod, nice and colorful so the kids and teens probably will love it. give it a shot and see what you think!

IPod Nano is great for working out!

from Pocatello, ID

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

The Apple IPod Nana is a great product. I love the sleek design and how easy it is to use. It is so thin and fits well in your hand. It's big enough to easy manuever the buttons, but small enough to tuck away when you are going for a run or doing some aerobics. I love the different color choices. There is something for everyone. It comes with some preloaded games that were fun to play. The screen was a good size-farly easy to read everything that you need it to. It holds quite a bit of music. The earbuds are also high quality- good sound. Sometimes they don't stay in that well when you are moving around a lot, but overall they are nice. The white color looks very trendy and new. I don't like that they don't come with a regular charger that can be plugged into the wall. It only comes with one that must be connected to your computer. Definitely decreases the convenience of getting it charged. The battery life could be better, but it's okay. Overall a good buy.

great way for storing music

from Flintstone, GA

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I was introduced to the iPod nano when my son CD player broke. My husband said an iPod would last much longer than a CD player. I love the fact that it doesn't have moving parts to wear out like a CD player. What I was even better is that I can store the music from tons of CDs on this little tiny piece of electronic equipment. It's so nice and small that I can easily put it in my purse and carry it with me. That means we'll were traveling in our van we have plenty of educational songs, hymns, and other fun songs available to listen to while driving. This nano is so simple to use my can find whatever songs we want to listen to. It's also fun that these iPods come in different colors, or that you can get colored cases where them. My iPod nano is a 4 GB. I didn't realize how fast you can fill up a 4 GB. I like it so much, but I'm disappointed that I filled it so fast. I think I would prefer an iPod with at least eight or more gigabytes. I'd recommend an iPod to a friend.

this apple ipod nano is pretty cool!

from Rochester, NY

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I got the apple ipod nano for my birthdy last year. I have been listening to it almost everyday since then. It is easy to get songs on it and you can organize your songs into playlists quite easily. Me and my sisters love the games that come with it. We also love to record people talking and singing. I can also have the earplugs out when listening to the ipod when i am running in track and my friends want to listen too. overall this ipod has everything that I could want in a portable music player.

Ipod Nano

from San Leandro, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

This ipod nano is great because of many reasons, one would be that it has last through many problems. One of those problems that was my fault was accidently putting it in the washing machine and dryer. At first when I took it out it didnt work, but after a week it started to restore itself that is why I think it is worth the money. Most things that go through that type of damage can not be fixed. The problem with this is just the physicial damages makes it look really ugly to use. I hate how it gets scratch easily, and the buttons start to not work well. The ear buds also break off easily, just makes me choose to buy a cheaper brand. I like how this ipod has many good qualities such as it is fun to use, and it also lets you take videos and play them. You will like this ipod if you want something compact and easy to use, because that is what you will get out of this ipod nano. I absolutely love this ipod, and will buy it again if i could.

Nano Nano like Mork and Mindy!

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I was given an iPod Nano as a gift, and have found it very useful.  It was the 4 Gig version, and with the multitude of MP3's I own the most difficult thing about this device is trying to figure out which songs to include in the mix.  It’s perfect for working out, plugging into the auxiliary port of my car stereo, and using at the office while typing up reports.  I love it.  The old saying goes, you get what you pay for, and this was a gift, and as much as I like my Nano I'm going to need to upgrade so I have space to include my 10,000 songs.  That's not really a complaint though, it is an amazing piece of technology.  I love everything about it, the color screen which displays the album covers, the colorful device itself, how small the thing is, and even though I "complained" about the drive space, the fact that you can have hundreds on albums on one small device is an amazing feat!  I recommend this to everyone, just make sure that you buy a big enough drive to hold all of your music and kiss your CD's goodbye!

Ipod Nano is excellent

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Apple iPod Nano 2nd Generation MP3 Player:

I initially was skeptical if it was worth it to get an ipod--I wondered if one of the other mp3 players would be a better bargain, since they are usually/often priced better. However, I have found that the ipod nano is definitely worth it. I've got the 8 gigabyte version and find that is the right amount for me. I don't put all my music on there, but I have a lot on there. It is very user friendly--intuitive, attractive, easy to use. The only drawback I can think of is the shaking feature (When you shake this ipod, it goes into shuffle mood/skips to the next song). This sounds like a really cool feature, and it is, but I have turned the feature off (which is easy to do, actually, since the ipod is so intuitive) because it often moves to the next track at bad times. For example, I've found that when I'm doing sit ups, it will skip to the next track. This may actually mean I'm bad at sit ups and jerk too much when I do them, but nonetheless, I've found the shake mechanism a bit too sensitive.