Other iPods:

Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

iPod is a great machine but iTunes is a devious plot to trap you

Several years ago I bought an iPod when it first came out and could not get it working with my Windows PC. When the Shuffle came out by that time we had a Mac in the house and it worked like a charm. We quickly hit the limit of music and then bought the Nano when it came out. I used it a lot when I exercise but unfortunately my five year old found a way to break the hold button and the device became unusable. Which lead me to buy the iPod 30GB.

Like everyone knows, the iPod looks great and is easy to use. I have even used it to watch to first four episodes of 24 which is pretty cool. I also downloaded a business audio book and have found that to work really well. So you might ask, why the attention grabbing headline.

Well, here is the problem that I have with Apple that the media seems to gloss over. If I buy my music from iTunes, I cannot move that music around to other types of players or other computers. Apple is smart. They make iTunes really easy, and therefore people use it more and more over time. They have sold 2 billion songs. What happens tough the iPod owners decides they want to use another player? They are totally out of luck. Some of the more sophisticated technologists talked about how Digital Rights Management is evil and that music companies should free their music to be shared more easily. Not surprisingly not all the music companies like this idea.

But, as Bill Gates pointed out in a recent interview, if you really want to buy music that is free of DRM restrictions, like iTunes is, than just buy the CD and rip the files onto your computer and move them to as many players as you want. How crazy is that. The more consumer friendly way of buying music is to go to a store rather than buying it online.

So bottom line, the iPod is a nice piece of hardware but do not buy from iTunes unless you want to be held captive to Apple for the rest of your life.

A CD Jukebox (and Video) In Your Pocket

We have a collection of several hundred CDs. They used to reside in a CD Jukebox by Sony. Now they are moving to my **iPod 30 GB **with video. The reason is simple: space and portability. We are moving to a place where a huge stereo system just won't work. We will be in a car for many days while we get there. Afterward we still want to hear some of our music. Thus the investment.

For us, the video is a bonus, not part of the purchase reason. The 30 GB capacity was key. The fact that Bose has a docking station that makes the iPod sound as good as the stereo system was a key. The fact that the car has a plug for the iPod was a key.

Our main complaint is the lack of openness inherent in all Apple products. You are limited to using their iTunes Internet service to handle the loading and manipulation of the material you want on your iPod. This limitation is a real downer. For instance, we pay a monthly fee to another internet music service for the privilege of downloading songs. These cannot be placed on the iPod. Well, they can but first we have to record a CD and then use the iTunes vehicle to load the CD to the iPod. The same with legal music we have already loaded from our CD to our computer. We have to find the CD and use the load CD function of iTunes to get it on the iPod. The same is true for videos like music videos. We had to buy a conversion package to allow our music videos to be loaded to the iPod.

Once our music is on the iPod we are much happier. The first thing we did was trash the cheap headset that came with the iPod and get something that could reproduce the music usefully. The second thing we did was get a Bose docking station so we could share the sound. The touch and slide functions to work through the menus takes a little getting used to and like any of the current crop of touch-sensitive controls is not very tolerant of moisture on the fingers being used.

All of the sorting and classifying options that are expected with large-scale storage are there. We have many pictures of family that we can now carry with us to bore others. We have a couple of our favorite music videos and we are loading more and more music. Too bad that Apple is so paranoid that they didn't add a card slot for extra memory.

Although this review sounds a little harsh, we really do like the iPod for what it gives us.

Nice ilove Apple

from S.a

About Me Casual Listener

Pros

• Easy To Set Up
  • Great Sound
  • Long Battery Life
  • Reliable Performance
  • Sleek/Compact

Cons

• Anywhere
    • Gym / Working Out
    • Travel

Nice ilove Apple

• Primary use:
    • Personal
    • Was this a gift?:

Apple iPod Video is for watching videos and listening to music.

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

The Apple iPod Video is an awesome device that is perfect for watching videos and listening to music. You can have all of your music and videos on this one device. It plays music, music videos, and movies with excellent quality. It sync to your iTunes Library from your PC and enables you to watch long videos on a personal screen. Further, you can listen to all of your music from your personalized playlists whether you are lying in bed or on the go. You can take it with you while you are out for a jog or plug it into your car via an auxiliary cable. It is portable and compact and has a large hard drive capacity. It comes in black or white, but I prefer the sleek look of the black model. It comes with a charging and sync cable, a charging block, as well as headphones. It is extremely easy to use and a wonderful device to have.

Sound Quality
    The sound quality is excellent, even when running or driving.

Processing speed is no issue for this device. It goes from one task to another flawlessly without delay.

Battery Life
    The battery life is impressive for such a small device. You can watch full videos or listen to music for hours before it needs to be charged.

Unlike the iPhone or even the iPad, there is absolutely no issue of the screen getting cracked, scratched or damaged, from my experience. Use a case to protect all of your devices and you will not have any problems. It is very durable. You can continue to use this device for years with no problems at all.

It is so simple to use that a child can use it. It has as click wheel, a button to turn it on and off and to lock the screen, volume buttons, and a center button to select.

It is designed perfectly for personal use, but you can also plug in a dual headphone jack so that you can watch and listen with a friend.

• Battery Life:

This Ipod is great, for awhile

from Jamaica, NY

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

This ipod is easy to use, light, and sleek in design. Syncing music with itunes is very easy, and the navigation within the ipod itself it very simple to understand. It also includes games, an alarm, a clock, and memo applications. The capacity to play videos is also really nice, but it's hard to aquire programs that shrink videos to the right size and quality to play well on it.

However, there are many negatives to this product. It comes with its own headphones, which are cheap and don't fit most ears. The battery wears out very quickly, usually shortly after the warrenty expires. The ipod also freezes  on occasion, making a restart necessary.

The headphone jack on this product is cheap and breaks easily. After less than 2 years, the jack on mine broke and only plays to the left headphone (and that's with at least 4 pairs of different headphones tried that work perfectly with other devices.)

A great MP3 player to carry a large music collection

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

There is not a better way to carry a large music library with you than this classic iPod. Although it lacks the touchscreen and internet capabilities of an iPod touch, the high capacity makes this ideal for someone who wants their entire music collection available at the touch of their fingers. Anyone who has used a classic iPod is familiar with the click wheel and how to use this device. If you haven’t used one before, after 5 minutes of playing you will be an old pro.

The only downside is that this item might be someone out-of-date due to iPads, iPhones, and iPod touch. I do still like this because of the large hard drive.

Battery Life
    Battery life is very long!

I love it!

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

I've had 3 of these since I was 19. The first one broke down after 4 months. It had just come out so I expected it. The second one lasted 2 years. This one has lasted 4 years so far...I listen to my iPod all the time and I absolutely love it. Would be lost without it.

Sound Quality
    Always crisp sound.

Never let's me down.

Battery Life
    It takes a while to lose battery life.

Dropped it an obscene amount and its still going.

I've never had a problem with using it and it's fairly easy. Just have to get used to the touch circle.

It's cute. It's not too big/not too small. It's not heavy.

apple ipod are fantastic

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

I had the older classic ipod which was about 20gb the highest you could get at the time, and i thought that i could never get fill more than half that size of music. And boy was i wrong, quite quickly my collection ballooned to over 20 gb and i had half of them on this ipod and the other half on my itunes and spendt all my time trying to balance and exchange the playlist. thats when i decided to get my self the 80gb 5th generation beauty. And i am glad i did. It a beautiful shiny stylish black piece. 80 gb can store all my music and a bunch of my favorite TV shows as well. Its playback is quite phenomenal and its not that bulky as one would think. Also you can use it as an external hard drive as well. Very versatile would definitely recommend it.

my first ipod

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

I bought this a long time ago, back in 2005 I think. It was my first iPod and probably my second or third mp3 player (does anyone still use that term?). It has video, plays music and slimmer than the previous iPods in the past. I would use to always watch videos on this but the battery was not the best.

One HUGE problem I had with this was that my iPod died a little over 6 months after I received it. Apple has a one year warranty for their ipods BUT the battery however was not covered for the year and only for 6 months, so I had to buy Apple Care warranty for them to replace this. I received it in the mail about a week later with my engraving that I had and it worked great. After that, another 6 months rolls around (what is up with these 6-7 month intervals) it had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, so I did the entire process again AND phew it was still under warranty so I sent in my old ipod and got another one.

The third times a charm, even though the battery never fully charges now, but it STILL WORKS and it has been way over the 6-7month interval.

[iPod Video] Portable iPod and Hard Drive

from Austin, TX

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

So happens when you can hold 7500 songs in your pocket? An amazing new portable life. Music on the go and storage on the go has never been better. Plus, video playback is now available on this color screen. The familiarity of the scroll click wheel makes for the perfect UI to select music, videos and photos.

A huge plus for this model is the ability to plug it into your USB port to act as an external hard drive. This is perfect for whenever you need to backup your laptop hard drive or just need to copy large files over to another computer. This makes portability that much easier. You can easily plug it into either a Mac or Windows machine to transfer files. Plus, the tie-in with iTunes makes it easy to transfer music and videos and photos onto the iPod.

You can't go wrong with this form factor and the user interface if you want to carry your music library or photo albums around in a tiny pocket sized powerhouse.

The Apple Video iPod is a great little device.

from Garland, TX

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

I will confess that I am not an "Apple person." As a gift I received the Apple 30 GB Video iPod and must admit that it has served me well through the years.

The audio quality is more than adequate for my needs. I am usually using it while working in the garage, so there is always a lot of noise, therefore the quality is not always the most important aspect. The volume level is great and helps to cut through the loud shop tools. When I play music in my car or via my dock-stereo the sound quality truly shines. I also use it often to listen to audio books while I exercise and being able to save my place in the audio book is a great feature.

I had not used the video much until recently. I found it very pleasant to watch TV shows and old movies when I had a spare hour or two. The video quality is great. I thought the screen would be much too small to enjoy watching for more than a few minutes, but I was wrong. I do wish I had a stand, it gets tiring holding up the iPod for an hour or more at a time.

The area where Apple really staked its claim was the user interface. The iPod is truly excellent in the way the user can scroll through the songs with speed and ease. Apple certainly wasn't the first on the MP3 scene, but it was the first user-friendly MP3 device that wasn't a complete hassle to use. Another handy addition is the lock switch on the top to prevent accidental button pressing when the iPod is stashed in a pocket.

The battery life is decent, roughly enough for a 2 hour movie, plenty for 6 or so hours of working in the garage while listening to music. It would be great if I could easily replace the battery when it becomes necessary.

I hate iTunes... It is slow and I find it annoying to use, but I can live with using it when I need to load songs.

I have never dropped it, so I can't speak to it's durability in that area. There is a mysterious dent on the back, I have no idea how that happened, but it has not affected the functionality.

Overall I am quite impressed with this device and enjoy using it.

Get a screen protector and case, and you're set!

from Fremont, CA

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 5th Generation MP3 Player:

Apple really picked up their game with iPods starting with the 30 GB iPod video. They really thinned it down here while providing a respectable 30 GB hard drive space. The color screen is pretty crisp, which is great for video viewing. Songs load quicker than older iPod models, but switching between multiple artists/songs seems to drain the battery much more than playing from a playlist. Also, video viewing drains battery a bit, more when switching or watching longer length videos--both of which are understandable flaws. Video formats supported include .mp4 and .mov, while playable audio formats include .mp3, .wav, and even the lossless .alac, which does drain battery faster than the compressed formats.

This model tends to not freeze as much as older models, which is another plus in my book. My only complaint is that this iPod does not support firewire connectivity. While Apple does provide a USB cable, they should have incorporated firewire support, considering both are their products, and firewire is faster. Other than that, it's a solid product.