But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

We listen to books on the road with our Apple iPod.

Our very generous son-in-law gave my husband (and me) and iPod for the holidays. (I got a new computer!) We love our Apple iPod Photo (60 GB) MP3 Player (M9830LL/A). This was our first venture into MP3 players and I was scared to use it at first!

It’s a cinch though to use. The circle in the middle is all that is used to navigate around. I click the middle and it turns on. The menu feature shows me a list of iPod features such as music, photos and videos. I just roll my finger around the circle and a blue line moves up and down. I choose what I want from a list of for example artists, albums, podcasts, genre or song. Then it’s just a matter of picking what I want to listen to or I can listen to everything in order or shuffle it around.

We have a docking station for it which is how it gets charged. The battery life is about 15 hours.

The sound will depend on the speakers you have. I have an inexpensive Altec Lansing piece but it works well for our needs.

**How do I get all this on the iPod?**

I had no idea before I got it so you may not. It is so easy. I do two things. First I put dozens and dozens of my CDs onto my computer via iTunes. I also have bought music from iTunes. Then I connect the iPod to my computer and the music automatically gets put on the iPod. If I add more music or audio books I connect the iPod and it updates it.

The only negative that I have found is the wheel. It is very, very sensitive. I often miss the item I want, let’s say my playlist has “mellow” on it because it has jumped to “new age.” It has gotten easier since I’ve gotten used to it but it is sensitive.

- This model holds 15,000 songs and 25,000 photos. The LCD display is a 2-inch diagonal 65,536-color LCD screen with LED backlight
- Comes with earbud headphones, AC adapter, and USB 2.0 cable
- The skip protection is 17 minutes
- It is 4.1 inches by 2.4 inches by .75 inches and weighs 6.4 ounces.
- It is a one-year limited warranty and a single incident telephone support for the first 90 days.

**Jo's Viewpoint:**

**I love being in the 21st century.**

Great product

This thing is built very well. I have had mine since they first came out quite a few years ago. I have not been very nice to mine and it will always put up with it. I have it soaked in the rain forest and it has been charged on the high voltage European power that gave the screen a bit of a rainbow tint to it, but it still works like the day i got it. But there was a problem when it was new and as seen on a few others. The thing just freezes when you try to play videos, and I don't think Apple has released a fix for it yet!

THIS IPOD IS A TANK

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

This ipod came out in 2004 and I bought it brand new. I have put this ipod through so much and I still use it to this day. It holds a lot of music and even videos and pictures. There are some games on it too. The one that I own has been dropped in snow and left in the cold and it still works for me. The only flaw is that now with it being 10 years old the battery only lasts a few hours.

Sound Quality
It plays songs great and they are always clear.

I have never had it freeze on me or anything like that and the touch pad still works. The touch pad is very responsive.

Battery Life
Originally it was a great battery lasting around a week depending on the amount of use. With my Ipod being 10 years old the battery is not as great.

There are very simple menus with the lists of ways to view your music. You can also shuffle or repeat your music. Since all ipods use the Itunes library, you can just add songs to it and plug in the ipod for a simple sync of music, videos, and pictures.

There is a large screen and the touch pad is very large as well. It is a very simple, organized design for easy use.

• Battery Life:

Still runs great after 5 years.

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

I have had my iPod for over 5 years, and I still haven't used up all the memory. That, for me, is the Classic's greatest feature. It still works great after 5 years. The only deterioration I've noticed is that the battery life isn't what it used to be. You could probably buy this product used and still have reasonable assurance that it will function very well.

Sound Quality
Great, clear sound.

I've never had a problem.

Battery Life
As mentioned before, my iPod is over 5 years old, so it doesn't hold a charge like it used to.

It has taken more than a few tumbles and hasn't cracked or stopped working.

It takes very little time to learn to use.

Very sleek, futuristic design.

iPod classic

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

After 6 years of using this product, it still works perfectly fine with the exception of the battery life decreasing. It is well worth the money spent and if you love music, this is definitely the product for you. The storage is incredible. I have thousands of songs and room for many many more. It was one of the best Christmas gifts I have received.

Good for the price

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

Like most apple products, the best thing about this is that is it is user friendly and easy to use. You have to download iTunes, but once you do it is a matter of simply buying and downloading music. The worst part of this product is that the battery life deteriorates very quickly, and after about a year only lasts for up to an hour. However, it is one of the cheaper products so you don't expect too much from the battery. It works really well when it is charged.

Love the ipod

from New York, NY

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

I only use an ipod to listen to music and can't imagine using another device. The newer versions have more features but the basic ones too, have menus, to select from. It is easy to upload or erase songs using the itunes software which is free to download. Highly recommend the ipod!

Great product

from Humboldt, SD

Can't live without it!

from Washington, DC

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

I can't live without my iPod! I use it everyday. iTunes is pretty user-friendly so even people who aren't too comfortable with computers can use it easily. You can make playlists for the gym, sleeping, etc. I have a wide selection of songs and audiobooks so it's perfect for commuting or long trips. The battery life is pretty good. It's gotten soaking wet in the rain but it still works well. The only problem is that if you use all 60GB, you risk a higher chance of having your iPod hard drive crash. It's happened to me once before and to a lot of my friends so I wouldn't say it's as rare as Apple claims. It seems like if you're an everyday user, you have two or three solid years and then it breaks. After two or three years you need a new one anyway because Apple adds so many new features. Overall, I love it. I definitely get my money's worth. I'm a fan of Apple in general but their customer service definitely needs some improvement.

best product made

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

ipod is a great product, it has so many uses like if you want certain music played to put you in the mode of working or relaxing or any thing else that you need at the time. it also you can watch what ever movie thst pick you up or calms you or pictures that make you happy when you need it. i think that this product is a good investment for all.

Everything is Right Here at one place

from Savage, MD

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

When i got Apple 60GB Ipod as a gift from my grand mother in this Thanks Giving. I was so happy. I need that vary badly. It's great item. Everyone who can afford that needs to buy that. You will satisfy your music love with Apple Ipod. I like that. Apple has to find something new to stay in competerion with miscrosoft.

Will never use a walkman again!

from Tempe, AZ

Comments about Apple iPod Classic 4th Generation MP3 Player:

Growing up using a walkman almost every day, i hated when my batteries would give out in the middle of a school trip or when i heard both tapes/cds that i would carry with me.  My ipod solved these issues for me instantly.  In addition, not only does an ipod carry all my music however, it will carry my favorite videos which only further helps the passing of time on long trips across the state.